Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Former GOP Presidential Candidate Jon Huntsman Urges Party To Embrace Gay Marriage

Today we have an opportunity to do more: conservatives should start to lead again and push their states to join the nine others that allow all their citizens to marry. I’ve been married for 29 years. My marriage has been the greatest joy of my life. There is nothing conservative about denying other Americans the ability to forge that same relationship with the person they love

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

Well, that should do it!

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

R2 Aw, Bar, if they'd done this years ago, we wouldn't've had to get married.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

Why isn't this guy in the running?

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2013

Have the Mormons begun the excommunication process yet?

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2013

What's the deal with all these Pubbies suddenly supporting marriage equality?

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2013

I would approach any republican offering olive branch with grave trepidation!

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

In 20 years the Freepers will use that quote to claim they were the biggest supporters of marraige equality just like they claim they supported Civil Rights.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

Too fucking late. They showed their true colors. They're not doing any changing, just pandering. They are still slimy underneath. It reminds me of a friend's boyfriend. We hated one another on sight. He was told that I was a big part of her life so he'd have to be nice to me. He did indeed pander. Then he used her and ended up stealing about $10,000 from her. They don't change their spots.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

Don't think the Mormons would excommunicate anyone who stands to inherit as much money as Jon Huntsman, r5.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013

Huntsman was the only decent republican candidate in the last 20 years. He had a real shot at 2012, albeit a long one. I don't know why he didn't at least win the nomination, considering the clown car he ran against.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2013

Commentary from OP's link:

[quote]Huntsman is correct when he says marriage equality should be a conservative cause. One of the main tenets of conservatism is the idea that government should stay out of the private lives of citizens. That very tenet is one of the primary reasons why conservative icon Barry Goldwater supported equality for gays and lesbians.

And please read the interview with Goldwater at my link. We'd all be better off with people like him in politics today.

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2013

Not only that, R12, but genuine conservatives mean it when they say they are for family values. They want strong families and that includes gay families. The religious people who say they are for family values when they really mean they are anti-gay are not really conservative--they are just seeking to impose their religious values on others. What could be less American?

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2013

He's not decent, he's evil.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

Wasn't he in that movie with Snow White?

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

My opinion, and I am ready for the calls of idiot, moron, etc for having a different view than most of DL, is that the real opponents of gay marriage are the overly religious. I have many, many Republican friends that support gay marriage. I have just as many Democrat, yet super religious, friends that do not support gay marriage. Both parties throw up the most extreme version of the opposite party to bolster their points. There are far more Republicans out there at support gay marriage than you would think.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.