Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Macklemore: The only rapper who doesn't come off as a douchebag

Anyone else love this guy? When I heard Thrift shop, I was blown away. He is the only rapper to date who doesn't come off as an utter loser or low-life. And the only rapper I know of to be able to hold down a long term relationship. And the only rapper to not feature scantily clad women and talk about banging them. Man this guy is an inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 5409/08/2013

cute song

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

I don't think Rizzle Kicks are douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

Is r3 serious or trying to be funny? It's just a fucking pop song, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

r3 is just typical DL trash spouting the usual agenda. Stay here for a while and you'll get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

WTF - YouTube is discussing his death...

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

Actually I've met him, and he DOES come off as a douchebag in real life, OP.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

Let's play guess how old OP is.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

There is some truth to what R3 is saying whether people want to believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

White rappers who try to sound black make me cringe. Not only is it inauthentic, it's the modern day equivalent of performing in blackface.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

Is it pronounced "MAK-ul-morr" or "MAK-la-morr"?

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2013

"MAK-ul-morr" R17

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2013

My friend is OBSESSED with him. I do like a couple songs, but just don't see it. Ryan, on the other hand..

by Anonymousreply 1904/11/2013

There was an interview in a magazine where Macklemore talked about when he was young he questioned his sexuality that he might be gay but his mother kept telling him he was not gay that he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

R3 is totally right.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

I like Macklemore, but Re is absolutely correct. A few decades ago up here in Canada, Denise Donlon, an interviewer on The New Music tv show, spoke to the then chart-topping Vanilla Ice. She flat out asked that since popular music was basically black innovation being co=opted by white imitation, how did he feel about it. Vanilla was quite stunned by the question and really didn`t have an answer.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

R20, that story is relayed in his song Same Love

by Anonymousreply 2308/01/2013

He is a class act

by Anonymousreply 2408/27/2013

He has great vines

by Anonymousreply 2508/27/2013

Actually, there are more than a few who are not into the swag and bullshit.

I fucking love Danny Brown. The lyrics are explicit, but I love his flow and personality. He's a great interviewee.

Machine Gun Kelly sucks, but he seems very grounded in his interviews, especially on Power105 when Charlemagne gives him shit.

Even Waka comes off as pretty cool in interviews, but he's ghetto as hell.

by Anonymousreply 2608/27/2013

R6 Exactly what usual agenda are you referring to? Anyone who has spent a small amount of time on this site knows that datalounge is very anti- minority and it is particularly anti-black. The majority of the people posting are elderly white men. Therefore your comment and OP's actually would be a more accurate example of what you refer to in your post as the "typical DL trash" being spouted.

by Anonymousreply 2708/27/2013

I'm old, and I adore Macklemore. He just makes me happy all over. And as for Ryan, oh my goodness he is so handsome. Don't spread it around as he is pretty shy, but he is one of us.

by Anonymousreply 2808/27/2013

r28, I thought they were a couple.

"I'm not gay, but I'm totally cool with gay people" is the new "I'm too involved with my career to date right now."

by Anonymousreply 2908/27/2013

[quote]Rapping is a version of singing, i.e. vocal manipulation.... Talent is talent

Well that's a pile of hosreshit. Rapping is TALKING and is not a version od singing. There is no talent in Rapping.

by Anonymousreply 3008/27/2013

Yanno, poor whites or urban whites often have some variation of an urban accent. Doesn't necessarily mean a person is trying to be insulting toward black folks, whingers.

by Anonymousreply 3108/27/2013

I do see racism here in the obvious preference for white divas, which isn't even a normal gay male trait, lots of us love black dance divas. But there doesn't seem to be that many of my type here for some reason. Lots of hostility towards Rihanna and Beyonce, two perfectly good artists, and extremely popular, but not here.

Anyway, you don't have to be racist to dislike rap, please. Most of my favorite artists are black, I like old school R&B mostly.

by Anonymousreply 3208/27/2013

He's a cute guy who's on our side. Not sure how anyone could hate on him.

by Anonymousreply 3308/27/2013

r22, Donlon is a careerist cunt who was just jumping on the bandwagon to give herself industry cred.

There were more worthy targets, but it's easy to hit the obvious.

Industry people know damn well the whole thing is fake, especially the thug element. Most are gay or bi.

by Anonymousreply 3408/28/2013

Macklemore wears too much fur.

by Anonymousreply 3508/28/2013

[quote]Rapping is TALKING and is not a version od singing. There is no talent in Rapping.

OMG you are too stoopid to live!

by Anonymousreply 3608/28/2013

R29 They aren't a couple, but I'm sure Ryan adores Ben, who is definitely not gay.

by Anonymousreply 3708/28/2013

wish Mack & Ryan would rap a song about the ways "Hollywood" influences society to deem women over 35 as "expired goods" - refer to all those middle-aged dating / marrying 20'somethings. you know there is a deep depression that sets inside a person when society tells you - you have no value. murders / rapists find love/affection but normal women (not "models") are deemed unqualified. yeah, I think if Mack & Ryan looked into it - asked some of their friends - they'd be shocked to find out how many women have basically "erased" their existence from the book of life because assholes think it's "right" to chase ass instead of being real men. I want to hear what these same middle-aged fuck heads are going to say to their bimbo-silicon-20somethings and daughters when they reach the ripe old age of 35+ - guess they need to get the "back it up and jump off a cliff 'cause your done" speech dusted off and ready to deliver.

by Anonymousreply 3808/28/2013

Some people have the minds of junior high kids.

by Anonymousreply 3908/28/2013

[quote]Rapping is TALKING and is not a version of singing. There is no talent in Rapping.... OMG you are too stoopid to live!

Truth hurt ice, ice, baby? That's why rappers have to hire singers to do the singing. The only rapper that could sing is Dana Owens/Queen Latifah who dropped the rap shtick very early when people realized she actually had talent.

by Anonymousreply 4008/28/2013

Lots of racism at work here.

I like Macklemore, but there are many great rappers out there. No one will ever top Jay-Z IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 4108/28/2013

Macklemore is fun for what he is and of course very cute but his whiteness is definitely the cause of all the attention.

I mean, if he were black would he be getting hailed by Ellen and getting glossy spreads in Out Magazine? Probably not.

What I do appreciate is that he doesn't seem inauthentic. White people like him that come from his background do always seem to have that kind of white trash meets the hood "accent."

by Anonymousreply 4208/28/2013

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the earlier poster. Rap is not talent. It's yelling bad poetry to a bass beat. no musical talent needed. Thought DL had better taste.

by Anonymousreply 4308/28/2013

You're not sorry at all r43. Be honest.

by Anonymousreply 4408/28/2013

[quote]There is no talent in Rapping.

If that was the case then everyone could do it.

by Anonymousreply 4508/28/2013

Oh dear, some rapper called Le1f has went after Macklemore for ripping off his song for "Thrift Shop".

by Anonymousreply 4609/08/2013

You don't like me? I mention the word Fags in every song I write.

by Anonymousreply 4709/08/2013

Sorry, but it's true that his whiteness is the draw for most.

by Anonymousreply 4809/08/2013

He sounds like he has phlegm in his throat. Every time I hear him I want to shout "cough it up!" Truthfully speaking, the only good thing about his songs are the hooks. I don't think he could carry as song on his own. And OP, you should rephrase that to the only rapper that you're aware of. The Roots, Common and many who are a part of the sub-genre called Conscious or Political Hip Hop aren't douche-bags either.

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2013

[quote]Sorry, but it's true that his whiteness is the draw for most.

This is true and Macklemore himself admits that and talks about white privilege (does he post at DL?). Feminem did the same shtick but all of these acts like Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, 3rd Bass were accepted by real hip hop artists and fans. Has to be more than a gimmick otherwise you're Vanilla Ice. Just the same as some white singers do really well on the r&b charts like Thicke and Teena Marie.

As much as Macklemore being white makes him more palatable and marketable to the masses, it's also true that if a black hip hop act did something like "Same Love" we would also take notice of and laud them since it's the most homophobic of genres. Kanye walked the walked as it were but didn't talk the talk.

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2013

But he still seems like a nice enough guy.

by Anonymousreply 5109/08/2013

[quote]He sounds like he has phlegm in his throat. Every time I hear him I want to shout "cough it up!"

lmfao. Never thought that but nothing more annoying.

[quote]And OP, you should rephrase that to the only rapper that you're aware of. The Roots, Common and many who are a part of the sub-genre called Conscious or Political Hip Hop aren't douche-bags either.

And that goes back quite far down to De La Soul. I just remembered: this was a pioneering anti-homophobe track from 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5209/08/2013

[quote]Sorry, but it's true that his whiteness is the draw for most.

Completely idiotic. There is absolutely no logical thought behind a statement like this, only blind and reflexive ideology.

Nor is there truth or brilliance behind the equally idiotic and purely political, "all pop music is black innovation and white imitation."

Essentialist extremism continues to be as defective as it has always been.

by Anonymousreply 5309/08/2013

Like you know anything about rap music, R53.

by Anonymousreply 5409/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.