Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A 32-year-old Brooklyn man is suing his parents, claiming he wasn't loved enough by them and that their neglect has caused him to be homeless and jobless.

Bernard Bey filed a self-written lawsuit in Brooklyn court earlier this month, accusing his parents of causing him mental anguish and for making him feel "unloved and beaten by the world."

"If you have kids, you're expected to love your children," Bey told NBC 4 New York. "You want the best for your children."

Bey claimed he was physically and emotionally abused and ran away from home when he was 12, and then was in and out of the shelter system after turning 16.

He's spent time in jail and is now homeless, and he believes his parents are at the root of his problems.

Bey is asking the court for more than $200,000 in damages. He wants his parents to mortgage their family home and purchase two franchises like Domino's Pizza.

"I feel like my parents should want the best for their children and grandchildren so we have something to pass down for generations so we don't have to live like this," he said.

Bey's parents, who live in public housing, said they're not in a position to give up any money. His stepfather named in the suit, Bernard Manley, had some choice unprintable words and maintained Bey is not his biological son.

Bey said he is willing to drop the lawsuit if his family will simply sit down at the dinner table with him.

"Let's work together, and definitely, I'll drop the suit," he said.

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2013

The man is obviously troubled. The father or step father seems like a dick.

Interesting idea, suing neglectful and abusive parents, holding them accountable for some of the damage to people who can't seem to make headway in the world.

What do you all think?

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

More billable hours for lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

"Bernard Bey filed a self-written lawsuit"

Says it all right there. I don't like the idea of someone using the court system for solving personal issues that aren't about the law. I obviously have more sympathy with this man than I do with Donald Trump and his vanity lawsuit against Bill Maher. However, if he thinks he's really going to get some kind of resolution out of this sit down with his parents--let's just say it's indicative of his ongoing mental issues.

If he was pysically abused--I think a real lawsuit would be of merit. But I don't know how legal that would be.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

If my parents see this article, I hope it puts some fear into them.

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

Maybe he should put his efforts into getting and keeping a job.

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

Well this should make them love him more.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

"I'm a victim! It's my culture! I must sue!"

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

Don't worry about the the self written stuff. That was just for starters. I'm here now.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

"Aspiring rapper" tells me all I need to know. Case dismissed!

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

Your parents are not obligated by law to love you. They ARE obligated not to beat and neglect you, obviously, but to mount a successful suit, he'd need some sort of proof that they did, and this far down the road, I doubt he can put much of a case together against them. They live in public housing, so the idea that they could mortgage their home and finance two Domino's Pizza franchises is obviously a delusion. Sad story, but really this poor mess is just wasting taxpayers' money and his own time with a frivolous lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013

We need a better social safety net for people like this who fall through the cracks through no fault of their own. We'd have plenty of money for it too, if the military and medical industry wasn't bleeding us dry. If nothing else, this case should get him some attention and help. He's suffered far long enough.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2013

He looked fine to me. He was wearing a nice leather coat, he's well groomed. He's also full of shit

I'm sure he can't work because he's waiting for his big break as an aspiring rapper

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2013

I do like the idea that love means two Dominos Pizza franchises.

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2013

We need longer windows/a window at all, beyond statute of limitations for abuse/neglect cases with merit.

by Anonymousreply 1402/24/2013

Agree with R14, the operative phrase being "with merit," of course. There's "victim mentality," and then there are parents who, despite either being physically able to care for their children and/or even have a lot of their own money in some cases, withhold basic necessities from their children that cause them provable damage.

It's a damn shame and mystery that such people have children in the first place, and it's not always fair for "professionals" to decide for an offspring what's going on. It's often the parents who should seek the assistance of professionals, but they don't, because they're the so-called adults. It's a microeconomic version of power abuse.

by Anonymousreply 1502/24/2013

The courts will throw it out. Quickly. There is no legal standing to sue. This guy has no valid causes of action. There is no legal duty to "love" anyone. You cannot legislate good parenting. I do feel sorry for someone so fucked up, though. Everyone can blame something or someone from his childhood on his current problems. We all have to take responsibility for our own lives, though. That is part of growing up.

by Anonymousreply 1602/24/2013

LOL, r13!

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2013

This case needs to be thrown out immediately lest it give other children the wrong idea.

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2013

The courts will throw it out, but I agree/disagree, R16, in the case where parental recklessness causes quantifiable consequences. "Not loving enough" is too vague. Parents like this have kids who become not listened to, who become parents themselves who pass on the behavior to settle their score. No one ever learns. Another contribution to the problem is the extent to which society implies that everyone under the age of 18 is at the mercy of anyone over the age of 18.

Most parents these days, in this society, view child-bearing/rearing solely as creating extensions of themselves. Then they objectify their children as reflections of their own narcissistic love-hate complexes. It's gotten more focused on that piece and caused major problems. I agree that it's an impossible bitch to legislate, but it's not an idea to dismiss so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2013

I love my children to death and no court could ever prove otherwise!

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2013

I just thought of a great story arch for next season!

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2013

He wants his parents to mortage their house but they live in public housing?

Forgive me if I have this all wrong, but isn't public housing, government owned housing for people who would not be able to afford housing on their own? The government would own the housing not the people living in it, correct?

by Anonymousreply 2202/24/2013

R22, the news story said the parents owned only a portion of the house, not the entire house.

by Anonymousreply 2302/24/2013

Perhaps his parents bought a government subsidized house? These houses started going up all over the NYC boroughs in the mid 1990s.

Some weren't reasonably priced at all, a friend's family paid $400,000 for a two family subsidized house in 1997! These homes were supposed to be 'affordable housing' for upper lower class and lower middle class families.

If this guy's parents live in a housing project apartment, which is a rental, what the hell does he expect them to sell?!!

by Anonymousreply 2402/24/2013

If you watch the news video, it seems they live in an apartment (presumably a rental) in public housing, but are part-owners of a house elsewhere. How exactly they qualify for public housing if they own part of a house, I don't know ... but tha's what the video said.

by Anonymousreply 2502/24/2013

[quote] "Aspiring rapper" tells me all I need to know.

Actually, I was kind of surprised he was alive. In my local newspaper "aspiring rapper" is always attached to a 16 year old who's been shot to death.

by Anonymousreply 2602/24/2013

R23 how does one own a portion of a home?

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!