Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ben Affleck can still win Best Director at this year's Oscars

It is unpresidented that the winner of Best Director at the Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and Producers' Guild Awards does not also go on to win Best Director at the Academy Awards. It just does NOT happen. People will do a write-in vote for Ben Affleck. Write-in votes have won in the past. So don't be surprised if you see this actor cum director accept the big prize come Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 6802/25/2013

mm cum

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

Banned in the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

Why was Shirley Temple banned?

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

[quote]It is unpresidented

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

The voting is done by computer nowadays....there is no where to write anything.

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

Oh, double-down dear ya, R4.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

Streisand won (tied) by write-in votes in '68.

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

no she didn't r7...you can't be written in if your name is already on the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2013

R7 is still smoking whatever they were smoking in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2013

No, the tied person was written in, not Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2013

Katharine Hepburn was the other person....she was also on the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2013

I'm an Academy voter and I wrote in Affleck. I know tons of people who did too.

by Anonymousreply 1202/23/2013

you wrote it on your computer monitor r12...is it still there?

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2013

LOL @ r1

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2013

R13, obviously when people say write in, they mean type in, you idiot. When people say they wrote a book, do you also ask them what type of ink they used?

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

there is no space to type it...the voting system lists the five nominees and you check a box....

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

With all the Affleck write-in votes thrown out under the rules, it's interesting to consider what affect all the wasted vote will have on the selection of the winner. It may be the case that only the second or third best of the nominees gets the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2013

I like Spielberg, but I don't get why people think he should win for Lincoln. It's a decent movie, but directing wise, he's done much better. It's far from his best work.

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2013

I wrote in Affleck on my computer ballot, but after I sent it in now I have "Ben Affleck" written across my computer screen and can't get rid of it!

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

Spielberg is a shoe in for the oscar. No way he'll lose.

by Anonymousreply 2102/23/2013

Why is Spielberg so deserving?

Why Ben Affleck is so deserving?

Both movies were OK. Nothing extraordinary.

Amour and Life of Pi are truly works of art.

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2013

Spielberg should get it because he's a professional director.

by Anonymousreply 2302/23/2013

Ang Lee is going t win.

by Anonymousreply 2402/23/2013

R22, I said I think he is a shoe in and that there is no way he'll lose. I didn't say he was deserving

by Anonymousreply 2602/23/2013

Just to rub it in one more time, the producers of the broadcast actually asked Affleck to PRESENT the Best Director Oscar (which, BTW should go to Ang Lee - that film is a director's masterpiece).

Affleck turned them down - so they asked Jennifer Garner - she also said no. Not sure who they ended up with...

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2013

Ang Lee will win. Or Ben Zeitlen.

by Anonymousreply 2802/24/2013

[quote]Spielberg is a shoe in for the oscar.

What kind of shoe?

by Anonymousreply 2902/24/2013

OK, I'll bite. Exactly when did someone win an oscar without being nominated?

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2013

There was such an uproar about Bette Davis not being nominated for "Of Human Bondage" in 1934, that the Academy, for the first and only time, said people could write in their own candidate. But Davis still lost (to Claudette Colbert).

by Anonymousreply 3102/24/2013

[quote]OK, I'll bite. Exactly when did someone win an oscar without being nominated?

Cinematographer Hal Mohr won in 1935 for "A Midsummer Night's Dream" as a write-in.

by Anonymousreply 3202/24/2013

As others have said, Ang Lee should win for Life of Pi. He made a film out of a book thought unadaptable and made many cynical people actually appreciate 3D for the first time. The film's a directorial masterpiece.

Yes, there are some issues with the film as a whole (the ending mostly), but just looking at direction I can't think of any other film that should beat it.

by Anonymousreply 3302/24/2013

But nowadays the Academy would have to sanction the write-in, post-nominations. THR covered this and tried to launch a write-in campaign last month. It's not going to happen.

I think it would be great if Ang Lee won and Life of Pi was an upset in the Best Picture category. It's been hugely successful world-wide, approaching a gross of $700 M.

by Anonymousreply 3402/24/2013

Why would they ask Jennifer Garner to present Best Director? She's just a B-list indie actress.

by Anonymousreply 3502/24/2013

I wrote in Affleck too. Where should I send my ballot?

by Anonymousreply 3602/24/2013

What is the difference between the award for Best Picture and Best Director? I mean, in the category of Best Director the winners are judged on their movie, are they not? And how is that different from what is judged in the Best Picture category? It seems like two awards for the same output.

by Anonymousreply 3702/24/2013

[quote] What is the difference between the award for Best Picture and Best Director? I mean, in the category of Best Director the winners are judged on their movie, are they not? And how is that different from what is judged in the Best Picture category? It seems like two awards for the same output.

Good question. And of course, if this was life and death it would bear further investigation, but I have thoughts anyway. I think in a lot of ways you would need to be on the set to know who did the best job directing: did he direct the actors to better performances? Did he shape the material, improving it in the process? Did he settle disputes/arguments that may have derailed the movie? Did he choose the right takes that played the best?

by Anonymousreply 3802/24/2013

Great analysis, R38.

by Anonymousreply 3902/24/2013

Just heard two different critics on two different stations say the exact same thing: that "Argo" is going to win Best Picture chiefly because the Academy passed over Ben Affleck for Best Director "and Hollywood felt sorry for him."

Yes, Ben, you should be so proud.

by Anonymousreply 4002/24/2013

I loved most of the movies in this category but Argo does deserve to win.

by Anonymousreply 4102/24/2013

Lucille Ball was going to try for a write in win for best actress for "Your, Mine and Ours," but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4202/24/2013

Did not know that Clooney was supposed to direct "Argo" but couldn't due to a scheduling conflict, so Affleck, who was already cast in the film, volunteered to step in as director, too (Clooney did remain as a producer).

Heard that story this morning.

by Anonymousreply 4302/24/2013

When Ben gets the Oscar for Best Picture (he's a producer), his only words should be "ARGO FUCK YOURSELF".

by Anonymousreply 4402/24/2013

R44 has closed the thread.

by Anonymousreply 4502/24/2013

R37 and R38 raise good points. I'm not a film industry insider but I wonder if: since the award for Best Picture goes actually to the Producer, I think the Academy recognizes that a LOT of things go in to producing a film.

But yes, what IS the Best Director being nominated for, outside of the film? So it's like different critics/other people are quoted as saying almost every year:

"How can the Best Director not have directed the Best Film?" Well, sometimes the Academy "splits the baby" - FOsse winning for Cabaret, but The Godfather (I) winning Best Picture.

This year, I think the people saying that the whole 9 pix thing may have screwed over certain directors - Affleck, Bigelow - have a point.

But off the top of my own pointy head, I think there's some - jealousy? envy? of Affleck that prevents older director-voters from wanting to give it to him JUST yet.]

I could be wrong...

by Anonymousreply 4602/24/2013

[quote]It may be the case that only the second or third best of the nominees gets the Oscar.

Isn't that usually the case?

by Anonymousreply 4702/24/2013

Do people even think when they type something like unpresidented, which gets a red fucking line under it, or are we so far down the road to illiteracy that it just floats on by? "They'll know what I mean." Yeah, it means you're kind of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4802/24/2013

It's funny how Ben Affleck being omited in the director race caused an outcry.

If he had been nominated, would people sing his praise ? I bet they'd say : " Hollywood gives no chance to outsiders! Argh! They didn't nominate the guy from Beasts of the Southern Wild nor Michael Haneke. They take no risk and never think outside the box!".

Well, they tried something different.

I understand his omission was unkind and smacks of young men being put down by old men, but still, Affleck wasn't the best director this year.

I like Argo, but the Affleck snub is not worse than Bigelow or Tarentino. (Or than DiCaprio as best supporting actor for that matter ...).

by Anonymousreply 4902/24/2013

[quote]Do people even think when they type something like unpresidented, which gets a red fucking line under it, or are we so far down the road to illiteracy that it just floats on by?

Unfortunately, most browsers do not have spellcheck. I know IE doesn't (unless the newest version does). I believe the red line is only on Firefox.

by Anonymousreply 5002/24/2013

Ben before and after hair transplant.

by Anonymousreply 5202/24/2013

I don't recall Ben ever being as bald as that "before" pic.

by Anonymousreply 5302/24/2013

R52. That is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 5402/24/2013

F&F for the tool at R51.

by Anonymousreply 5502/24/2013

Now they're saying Ang Lee, who seemed to be the forgotten filmmaker - much more than non-nominees Bigelow and Ben "The Hair" Affleck. And I hope he does, if only to make up once again for Brokeback Mountain not winning best picture.

by Anonymousreply 5602/24/2013

Yes, R44, I'm sure he'd bash the Academy with his second Oscar in hand. He's too political and knows now that he's almost assured a Best Director win the next time he does anything remotely good.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2013

[quote]What is the difference between the award for Best Picture and Best Director? I mean, in the category of Best Director the winners are judged on their movie, are they not? And how is that different from what is judged in the Best Picture category? It seems like two awards for the same output.

I feel this year the difference is directorial vision. Argo is very good but the direction itself is anonymous. If you didn't know Ben Affleck directed it you couldn't really tell.

OTOH, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Amour in particular show a very specific artistic vision. To put it crassly, Zeitlin directed the shit out of it and Haneke is one of the most distinctive voices in current world cinema, a latter-day Ingmar Bergman.

If I had to bet, I'd say enough directors assumed that Ben would get in via other voters, so they voted for Zeitlin, Haneke, etc. And that isn't to say those two aren't totally deserving. That's what pisses me off the most, the idea that Michael Fucking Haneke, who should have won for Cache, did a lesser job than Bennifer.

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2013

I finally saw Argo last night and I liked it best of the movies ( I loved Lincoln, Silver Playbook and Zero). I think Ben deserved to be considered for best director.

by Anonymousreply 5902/24/2013

I'll stick up for Affleck here, too.

It was a snub and he deserved a nomination for his GREAT work. It's become sport on DL to trash Ben Affleck, and it's tiresome.

He deserves the award as much as anyone nominated, let alone a nomination.

Just saying "there's nothing special about his work" doesn't make it so. However, since so many of you think that's quality film criticism, I'll say he deserved the nom and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 6002/24/2013

Unlikely, OP. If he couldn't even secure a nomination then it means the members of the Academy didn't think he was deserving of a win.

by Anonymousreply 6102/24/2013

I don't want him to win anything.

by Anonymousreply 6202/24/2013

Then fucking write in his name, R59.

by Anonymousreply 6402/24/2013

No, he can't.

by Anonymousreply 6502/25/2013

Told you Affleck would win. Horrible speech though. Comparing Jennifer Gardener to Iran? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 6602/25/2013

I couldn't listen to the speech.

by Anonymousreply 6702/25/2013

[quote]Told you Affleck would win.

He didn't win Best Director, though. He won Best Picture, as a producer.

He was a babbling mess but seemed sincere and looked amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6802/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.