Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: 'Silver Linings Playbook' wins best feature at Indie Spirit Awards

"Silver Linings Playbook" was named best feature film at the Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday afternoon in a ceremony in Santa Monica. The film also won best director and screenplay for David O. Russell and best actress for Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2013

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

The only thing more fucked up than the Oscars are the Independent Spirit Awards. A movie like this winning best director, picture, and actress goes entirely against the spirit of independent cinema. This is just Hollywood garbage that wasn't made by a major studio. The people that run and vote for this award should really be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

The Spirit Awards have gone the way of IFC - nearly entirely mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

The only prerequisite for ISA is that the film be made for less than $20 million.

I think they should restrict it to films completed without a distribution deal - true independents. SLP was produced and financed through Weinstein just like a studio feature.

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

Who votes for the award?

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

The media is acting like SLP was the first movie about mental illness ever made. And it wasn't even a movie about mental illness, it was a movie about slightly manic acting people doing ballroom dancing.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

Anyone just watch the chat at goldderby? Who are those guys? Critics?

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

They should restrict the term "independent" to mean made 100% outside of the major studios. Otherwise it is useless to have this award.

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2013

Totally agree with R6.

I think if SLP was to win tomorrow night, it would go down in history as one of the worst choices ever for Best Picture. Not as bad as "Crash" but certainly of the same ilk -- a glorified TV-movie elevated to the level of Oscar-winning motion picture.

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2013

[quote] it was a movie about slightly manic acting people doing ballroom dancing.

Which was done much better by Baz Luhrmann with "Strictly Ballroom". Except it was fully manic.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2013

Jennifer Lawrence looked fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2013

Weird ho0w MCBongo won for his ass work in Magic Mike. I thought he made a much better presentaion in Killer Joe.

by Anonymousreply 1202/23/2013

HATED this film.

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2013

Even though I'm no McBongo fan, I actually would've preferred him as a presence in the Best Supporting Actor race this year than the five yawn-inducing choices put forth by the Academy.

And if I see one more story bemoaning how Affleck and Bigelow were snubbed for a nomination I will scream. I swear they stop just short of saying "these directors' superior contributions to cinema were overlooked so that the work of five hacks could be recognized instead." Enough!

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2013

well said r14.

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

SLP was ultimately a formulaic Hollywood romantic comedy -- and not a very good one.

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

ISA and Oscars = The people's choice awards but without the people.

In other word, IT'S A FUCKING POPULARITY CONTEST!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2013

How come people have stopped talking about what an asshole David Russell is?

Doesn't anybody remember what he did to Lily Tomlin?

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2013

I wonder if Spirit Awards hipster host Andy Samberg will present one of his quirky digital shorts for the ceremony with a gut-busting cameo from Justin Timberlake or Adam Levine?

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2013

The Fighter grossed $130 million on a $25 million budget. You're allowed, in fact encouraged, to be an asshole with that margin. It's the Weinstein principle.

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

I'm glad that John Hawkes won best Actor over stupid Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2013

I'm glad, too. Hawkes should've also gotten the Oscar nom, not Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 2202/24/2013

I gotta give it to McBongo -- he really is getting better and taking chances and had a great year as a result. And these awards don't even include "The Paperboy", which I loved him in.

Never liked him but he is turning me around. Even the way his looks are going per each role.

by Anonymousreply 2302/24/2013

McBongo looks horrible now, especially around the eyes. Bit of a death stare.

by Anonymousreply 2402/24/2013

Bradley Cooper got the nomination because he was People's Sexiest Man Alive.

by Anonymousreply 2502/24/2013

MCBongo was really enjoyable in that Jack Black/Shirley MacLaine movie. I agree. Who'd have thought he'd ever become good?!?

by Anonymousreply 2602/24/2013

" LOOK AT US! "

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2013

I also give Mcbongo credit for not coasting.

I for one have loved all of David O russells movies except huckabees.

by Anonymousreply 2802/24/2013

OMG!! Could SLP win BP at the Oscars??

by Anonymousreply 2902/24/2013

R11 That's what passes for fantastic nowadays?

That outfit looks terrible on her, and her slumping posture doesn't help.

These studios need to bring back charm schools for these actresses. Either that, or give them copies of Crawford's My Way of Life. Throwing on a ball gown doesn't make instant glamour.

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2013

R14 writes:

[quote]And if I see one more story bemoaning how Affleck and Bigelow were snubbed for a nomination I will scream. I swear they stop just short of saying "these directors' superior contributions to cinema were overlooked so that the work of five hacks could be recognized instead." Enough!

Last December, "Zero Dark Thirty" seemed like the frontrunner. (The pre-Oscar critics groups.) And then there was Ben Affleck having won the director award from the Golden Globes (which came after Oscar nominations were announced) and the Directors Guild of America. The Producers Guild of America delivered. And Chris Terrio's script for "Argo" beat previous frontrunner Tony Kushner's for "Lincoln."

It's a major fuck-up from the directors' branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. Perhaps it was the timing. Had the Academy nominations come out after the Golden Globes ceremony, maybe Affleck (and/or Kathryn Bigelow) would not have been left off the list for the unexpected slots given "Amour's" Michael Haneke and "Beasts of the Southern Wild's" Behn Zeitlin. It seems those out-of-nowhere slots to Haneke and Zeitlin were designed to give this "intellectual" taste from the nominating directors' branch.

by Anonymousreply 3102/24/2013

[quote]And Chris Terrio's script for "Argo" beat previous frontrunner Tony Kushner's for "Lincoln.

... for adapted screenplay from the Writers Guild of America.

by Anonymousreply 3202/24/2013

Watching the repeat.

Who the fucking Christ let Andy Fucking Douchenozzle Samburg host?

by Anonymousreply 3302/24/2013

I thought Jennifer Lawrence looked stunning at the ISA show. Can't wait to see what she wears at the Oscars!

by Anonymousreply 3402/24/2013

Silver Linings wasn't even an independent film, was it? I really enjoyed watching it, but "Perks of Being a Wallflower" was a much better film. So was "Any Day Now" with Alan Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 3502/24/2013

Article: How to Classify Movies Now That “Independent Film” Is Dead

by Anonymousreply 3603/01/2013

What was up with that guy who won best first screenplay? They edited out his speech from the telecast...and put up a sign saying 5 minutes later....and then Kerry Washington literally pulled him off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.