Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"I beat Meryl!"

How come Meryl Streep never made a public comment in defense of Jennifer Lawrence and just say, "Yeah, that was funny, she's clever, etc."? She must recognise Lawrence is talented...or does she see her as just some buffoon taking work away from her girls and thwarting her efforts to build an acting dynasty?

by Anonymousreply 2404/20/2014

Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

Well, Katie Couric asked Lawrence about it again in an interview this week. Why won't Meryl come to Lawrence's rescue?

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

I'm above commenting on such frivolity.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

Said the woman who starred in Mamma Mia!

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

After the big fucking deal that has been made about this one little innocuous comment, I'm sure Lawrence has learned her lesson never to make another joke in a public setting like that again. Shows where golden trophies are awarded to already rich and famous people for simply showing up and doing their jobs are very serious business, after all.

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

Someone posted on DL about taking a basket full of garden goodies over to Meryl's house when she moved into their town, and she looked them up-and-down and slammed the door in their face.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

Streep has a life.

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

Lawrence and Streep are no Mary-Linda Rapeleye.

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2013

because meryl is sick and focusing on her health rather than helping an actress win an award

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2013

Meryl is busy trying to remove that yellow waxy buildup in the corners of her kitchen floor.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2013

What is the big deal? I don't think what Lawrence said was offensive. That IS an accomplishment, to beat Meryl.

On the other hand, fourteen other actresses have "beat Meryl," so I guess what Lawrence said was kind of dumb. If Meryl had won all the times she had been nominated, it would have been an accomplishment for Lawrence to beat her.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2013

Jennifer Lawrence gave Streep free press all through awards season.

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2013

She just thought she was being clever by quoting Goldie Hawn in " First Wives' Club. Unfortunately the line was not as memorable as "Rosebud," or " They're coming to get you, Barbara," so most people just though she was being a bitch. I'm sure she's learned.

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2013

Meryl is still smarting because Of J's proud bisexuality (see link).

by Anonymousreply 1402/24/2013

I actually think they would be good in a movie together.

by Anonymousreply 1502/24/2013

r13, it was Bette Midler who said that line in "The First Wives Club".

by Anonymousreply 1602/24/2013

Meryl Streep should be arrested for this.

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2013

storm in a teacup.

This being said, JL should not win best actress. But because Riva deserves it more.

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2013

Riva!?! Why, she's almost as old as Streep!

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2013

Plenty of actresses have beaten Meryl over the years. Nominated for seventeen Oscars and only won three: 14 actresses have beaten Meryl. Add the Golden Globes and Emmies and all the other awards and it's a large group.

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2013

From the looks of her, it looks like Lawrence beat Meryl to the buffet too.

If she doesn't do something soon she'll be as big as Big Tina Hendricks.

by Anonymousreply 2104/20/2014

When Gwyneth Paltrow won her Oscar (and beat Meryl) she referred to Meryl as 'the greatest one who ever lived, Meryl Streep. I don't deserve to be in your presence'

When Kate Winslet won she said 'none of us (the rest of the nominees) can believe we are in a category with Meryl Streep'

by Anonymousreply 2204/20/2014

Ridiculous Hollywood hyperbole on Close's part, R22. Also, if a male actor said that second bit about another male, it would be considered pathetic. Which it already is coming from Close.

by Anonymousreply 2304/20/2014

Sorry, GOOP's part.

by Anonymousreply 2404/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!