Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pope is throwing himself on the sword.

On March 1, after he steps down he will release a 300 page document listing all of the things the Vatican is being blackmailed over.

A lengthy investigation by the Italian newspaper “La Repubblica” has discovered that the origin of the resignation has little to do with health, but instead to do with another word, “influentiam,” Latin for Blackmail. They tie the resignation to the investigation into leaked documents, a scandal nicknamed “Vatileaks” in the popular media. The investigation into these leaked documents, detailing sex, corruption, bribery and scandal released in the book Sua Santità. Le carte segrete di Benedetto XVI, revealed that not only were the accusations true, but that there was a blackmailing ring behind it all, circling even at the highest levels of the Catholic Church.

When the report was delivered, it is reported that Pope Benedict decided that day to resign, a symbolic falling on the sword. He further declared that once resigned, this report, 300 pages, will be released directly to the public on March 1st, revealing every dirty secret, every lie, every blackmail to the world. La Repubblica further continues, that the blackmailing ring involved homosexual members of the clergy. This is tied directly to the procurement of male prostitutes for members of the Papal staff.

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2013

Oh the horror! The hypocracy of the catholic church revealed! Who could ever have conceived of it!

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

[quote] The hypocracy

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

Nah, this is not nearly enough to get the pope to resign for the first time in 600 years. Not even close.

There would have to have been a direct connection to the pope for this to matter. There's no way the pope or his advisors would have thought the public would have cared enough about this to damage the pope directly. The organization is huge. Of course there are scandals and corruption. This doesn't pass the smell test.

If the scandal involved the pope himself procuring men which is most likely what it actually is, that would be a start to a resignation. But this? Nope. It's just a minor league red herring.

A random papal whatever that no one has ever heard of or cares about? Please.

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

I'll just sit here and hold my breath until that's released, OP

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

He has thrown himself on a few swords, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

I've never said this before, but I wish my mother, who never made a decision without checking her popeometer, had lived to see this day.

She ruined the lives of everyone around her with her Catholicism. I just wish she'd been around to see this.

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

Lord Sebastian Flyte is posting here at r7?

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2013

So to shriek, R8. So to shriek.

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2013

Purest Italian fantasy.

And that is very pure indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2013

I read somewhere that there were allegations against the pope for sexual abuse. Wonder if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2013

He probably had his finger in some little girl's pie.

by Anonymousreply 1202/23/2013

Does this mean the Pope LIED about his reasons for resignation?

Venial?

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2013

That article is almost as old as male nude figurative Tom Bianchi.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2013

[quote] I've never said this before, but I wish my mother, who never made a decision without checking her popeometer, had lived to see this day.

Wouldn't make one whit of difference. My mother is still alive and views all of this as a persecution of the church. She does not believe the pedo scandal -- says maybe one in a thousand complaints is true; the others are copycats by unhappy homosexual complaintants who want to disgrace the church for nefarious reasons. She points to the AIDS activists who used to spit out communion and scream hysterically during mass, disrupting services.

She is supported in her view by Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, two good catholic boys she adores.

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

I wonder how you say "tin foil hat" in Italian?

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

La Repubblica and the Guardian are world-renowned newspapers, not tin-foil rags.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2013

The Pope is a top, he does not throw himself on any swords. He is the sword, just ask Georg.

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2013

R15 The thought of my mother watching Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity...

I can't even describe...something I've never even imagined...

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2013

I guess it is finally going to come out why the Vatican was always listed in Bob Damron's Gay Guide.

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

This is so ridiculous. Why is the no link to the OP's article stating, "On March 1, after he steps down he will release a 300 page document listing all of the things the Vatican is being blackmailed over." ?

From today's Guardian:

"Vatican dismisses reports linking pope's resignation to gay conclave discovery

The Vatican has attacked reports in the Italian media linking Pope Benedict XVI's resignation to the alleged discovery of a network of gay prelates as attempts to influence the cardinals in their choice of a new pontiff.

The Vatican secretariat of state said in a statement: "It is deplorable that as we draw closer to the time of the beginning of the conclave … that there be a widespread distribution of often unverified, unverifiable or completely false news stories that cause serious damage to persons and institutions."

by Anonymousreply 2102/23/2013

That Guardian article is 2 years old. It seems unlikely the Pope would resign to keep quiet information which was published two years ago.

But then again, Catholics aren't the smartest people around ... so maybe I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2013

He's old and senile

by Anonymousreply 2302/23/2013

r16: stagnola cappello

by Anonymousreply 2402/23/2013

While it isn't widely known, the Vatican purchased the National Enquirer and is now generating the lead stories for their gossip paper. This keeps the papers expenses down, circulation up while giving the holy boys something to read while on the Vati-can.

by Anonymousreply 2502/23/2013

"Catholics aren't the smartest people around..."

Yeah, really stupid...makes you wonder how they ever came up with: Georgetown University, Fordham University, Loyola, Notre Dame, University of Portland, Villanova, Boston College... (just to name a few)

by Anonymousreply 2602/23/2013

You speak as though those correspondence schools are considered reputable, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2702/23/2013

r26 --

Virgin birth? Immaculate conception? Transubstantiation? Limbo? The Inquisition? Pagan babies? Indulgences? The persecution of Galileo?

Maybe you're right. It takes a genius to think up shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 2802/23/2013

Worshiping icons, confessional.....yeah, it's a dumbing effect. Crowd control.

by Anonymousreply 2902/23/2013

The Guardian article is on the FRONT PAGE of today's Guardian.

by Anonymousreply 3002/23/2013

R7, I cannot imagine a person who ruined everyone's life with Catholicism NOT watching Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity.

They are the Vatican's most vocal defenders. Brainwashed Catholics love them (as well as Wm Donahue), particularly those Catholics who like to ruin other people's lives with their religion. Truth does not matter. Facts do not matter. Only the Vatican matters and anyone who doesn't follow the One True Faith be damned.

by Anonymousreply 3102/23/2013

R31 My mother = your mother.

by Anonymousreply 3202/23/2013

De profundi clamavi!

But this thread is useless without pyx.

by Anonymousreply 3302/23/2013

How do such fundamentalist mothers react to the Pope resigning? (My own mom is into liberation theology, and has always disliked any pope since Vatican II.)

Seriously, even as a former Catholic, I find it very shocking that the Pope resigned, because they are infallible and chosen for life. I am very curious how current Catholic fundamentalists are squaring his resignation - the simple act of his resignation - with Catholic dogma, which the act contradicts.

by Anonymousreply 3402/23/2013

"He further declared that once resigned, this report, 300 pages, will be released directly to the public on March 1st, revealing every dirty secret, every lie, every blackmail to the world. La Repubblica further continues, that the blackmailing ring involved homosexual members of the clergy."

It needs to be reiterated that OP made this part up.

by Anonymousreply 3502/23/2013

[quote]He further declared that once resigned, this report, 300 pages, will be released directly to the public on March 1st,

No, it's locked up and will be given to the next pope. OP's story isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 3602/23/2013

r34, the pope is not infallible.. when he sits on the chair of st. peter and speaks 'ex cathedra,' he does so infallibly. this only happens in the rare cases relating to matters of church doctrine - similar to modifying the US Constitution. the other BS that gets everyone in a lather is mostly rules and regulation....somewhat arbitrary but based on doctrine as convenience allows.

by Anonymousreply 3702/23/2013

R38, I loathe Ratzinger and disdain the corrupt institutions of Christianity, but you're so far out of line that you need to shut the fuck up and drop out of sight until you get yourself together again. Lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2013

R15, maybe you can help your mother get to heaven sooner rather than later. Think of how much happier she'll be!

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2013

The penis mightier than the sword.

by Anonymousreply 4102/23/2013

The pope has been the pope for a long time. Ratzinger was no spring chicken when he became pope and he had a long history in the public eye before that. Are we to believe there was all this abuse, scandal or whatever all this time and no one has reported it or leaked it. Not believable.

He's probably really senile or slipping too quickly into Alzheimer's.

We all rag on this pope a lot - deservedly so - so why can't anyone believe that he's just selfish and doesn't want the burden anymore. He wants to enjoy what's left of his life in a carefree and more than comfortable surroundings. And that is more important than his obligation as pope.

by Anonymousreply 4202/23/2013

R7,

Thank you for the word popeometer. :)

by Anonymousreply 4302/23/2013

Where in OP's link does it mention blackmail?

by Anonymousreply 4402/23/2013

You don't get it, R42. Popes do not retire. This is beyond exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 4502/24/2013

Oh! But the Pope's caftans are to die for!

by Anonymousreply 4602/24/2013

The Vatican has accused the Italian media of publishing a series of sensationalist stories designed to influence the conclave. I think they're right, where were these articles a couple of weeks ago?

by Anonymousreply 4702/24/2013

The UK's top cardinal and homophobe, Keith O'Brien, has been accused of inappropiate behaviour.

[R47 - do you think that just because this information is coming out that it never occurred? Your reasoning flummoxes me. Of course there will be politicking and this is when the dirty laundry - often very true - comes out. The Church is a scandal.]

by Anonymousreply 4802/24/2013

I thought this expression was about taking responsibility for one's actions regardless of the consequences. That isn't what The Poop is doing. He's doing the complete opposite of that.

by Anonymousreply 4902/24/2013

wtf

by Anonymousreply 5002/24/2013

Some sources try to make the Pope's action look honorable when all in all it's just a cunty Sarah Palin move.

That evil bastard has not one honorable bone in his body.

by Anonymousreply 5102/24/2013

[quote] You don't get it, [R42]. Popes do not retire. This is beyond exceptional.

I get it. What makes you think I DON'T get it? I went to Catholic schools for 14 yeras. I know all about the Church.

What I am saying is that the fact that he is "resigning" may be more affirmation that he is a creep. BECAUSE . . . wait for it . . . POPES DO NOT RETIRE.

And it's not as if they don't retire because they have to wait for a pension - they don't retire because they accept that it is a lifelong responsibility - not just a job.

Personally it makes sense to me that in a modern church with the kind of travel and other demands that are required, that stepping down could be looked at as the honorable and practical thing to do and IS in the best interest of the Church but I don't feel like giving Ratzinger that kind of credit.

by Anonymousreply 5202/24/2013

You know, it's so typical. The Pope and religions in general lecture us common folk to not be selfish, greedy, mean, backstabbing, etc. and yet the shady Pope living in wealth and power can 'quit this bitch'.

by Anonymousreply 5302/24/2013

And equally juicy - nearly all British media here in London has been carrying this story since late last night -

Our senior Cardinal, the one who would take part in the choosing of the next Pope, a major marriage equality opponent and bumbler, only one month away from retirement, has been accused of beeing a pushy priest molester! Classic!

Guardian link below:

by Anonymousreply 5402/24/2013

Also a link to Pink News below. It's in every paper, except the catholic ones. Haven't seen it on TV news channels yet though.

by Anonymousreply 5502/24/2013

I think there might be a big scandal, but they will do their best to cover up and deny. His stepping down might be just in case it can't all be covered up.

by Anonymousreply 5602/24/2013

I suspect that the Roman Catholic church is panicking - their regular "blame it on the gays" schtick is not working, yet they are being exposed. Too many American Catholics, for example, have gay people in their families who they refuse to reject, and many practicing American Catholics support same-sex marriage as well.

The Catholic church has lost control of its scapegoating MO and it is panicking. Too many people are well aware that homosexuality does not equal pedophilia, but that oppression, collusion, corruption and cover-ups often do. Benedict resigning and throwing the Church into turmoil may end up being the best thing to happen for Catholic liberalization in decades.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2013

Religions need stupid people they can prey upon and the smart people are cock blocking them by pointing out the hypocrisy of the clerics and the flaws in the concept of religion and blind faith.

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.