Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Review sites that are not a scam?

Yelp we know pressures businesses to pay to control reviews and 'filters' good ones if they refuse.

What other review sites are out there that have decent business practices. I took a great class and wanted to review it but don't know where to post.

Datalounge knows everything.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

Google+ reviews, linked to on Google Maps. Not the most articulate or detailed reviews, owing to its user base, but honest.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

OP seems to lack even basical critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

Thanks R2

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

Try Trip Advisor.

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

Trip advisor would not apply for this

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2013

Very good!

Good app!!!

Buy this!

works good!,,

This all you need !!!

Buy yes

So good!

I very much love this app

IS Fun, buy

Very happy I buy this

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

Consumer reports.

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2013

massagem4m publishes reviews, but only the positive ones as they appear in the ad for the massage therapist.

but if you pay 5 bucks a month or something you can see ALL the reviews -- including the bad ones.

When a guy has 10 (vague) great reviews, but four ones that detail how bad it was I skip those guys.

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2013

On Amazon, they now have an Amazon Verified Purchase designation on their reviews, so at least you know those reviewers actually bought the product. Of course that's no guarantee that the reviewer isn't a shill, but that, combined with a detailed review that includes both positives and negatives, provides some degree of trustworthiness.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2013

Are both the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List for sale as well?

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2013

Angies list charges the conumer, not the business.

A non massage service so many suggested would not apply for me, but hopefully for others.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 1202/23/2013

From my experience, I would say none.

I work for a social media marketing company and I put together a service for a clients (mainly restaurants & bars) where we monitor the various review sites. We also contact people who write the reviews and post comments on their behalf.

I spend about half my work day on these sites reading reviews and checking out what the reviewers are saying.

My experience has been that at least 90% of people posting negative reviews are looking to scam the business owner. They all want their money back or a free meal or more.

The majority of these people never let anybody know while they are in the restaurant that there is an issue. The majority of them can't identify servers who they have issues with when pressed for details.

I've run into one situation where one guy discovered metal in his meal at every restaurant (over 30) that he reviewed. When I pointed this out to Yelp, they refused to do anything about it. I mean what are the chances of this happening?

The other problem is that the people who tend to post are people who have had an issue, so the majority of reviews tend to skew negative, add in the filtering of positive reviews and overall it's not a great system for getting an honest picture of any business.

My experience has been that none of the review sites are even responsive to business owners. None of them have a way to contact a live person unless you are buying advertising. Most never respond to email.

These sites don't exist to provide unbiased reviews, they exist to sell advertising. The reviews are secondary.

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2013

[quote] The majority of them can't identify servers who they have issues with when pressed for details.

Nor can I. I don't memorize the name of the servers. As soon as one tells me his or her name it's out of my mind. I have real people in my life I need to keep tabs on. I don't remember the name of the waitstaff. It was Brian or or Mark or Jason or Tamara or Brittany or Skylar.

And people don't want to get someone fired from their job. Or -- this is true in my family -- the waitstaff is related to the owner. My cousin owns a restaurant and everyone who works there is related. You can complain, but he's not getting rid of his son who works for free during college break.

Or maybe the person who complained is afraid of retaliation. If I complain about a restaurant in my town and a waiter gets fired, maybe he can identify me from my post and put sugar in my gas tank or kill my cat.

I don't expect to get interrogated when I leave a negative review. Either I had a good experience or a bad experience. Obviously, bad experiences don't matter unless the reviewer provides identifying details that satisfies a hired marketing drone. Too bad.

I've never asked for nor gotten anything from a bad review. I'm never returning to that place. I don't WANT anything from them. They've proven to me that are not worthy of my business and if they tried to bribe me, I'd be disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2013

Second vote for

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

Dead on r14

I literally have lived in one hotel or another for a year. I use tripadvisor a lot an review a lot. I will pit up a positive review if it is a positive experience. If it is negative experience I will indicate such and why. I don't remener my breakfast bat severs name or the name of the guy who left my luggage sitting int the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 1602/24/2013

R13 what part of your experience involves you contacting cuStomers ho have written bad reviews and extracting information from them ?

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2013

Is that Angie's List you see advertised on tv a scam too?

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2013

And how do you get a job like that?

[quote]I've run into one situation where one guy discovered metal in his meal at every restaurant (over 30) that he reviewed. When I pointed this out to Yelp, they refused to do anything about it. I mean what are the chances of this happening?

Report scammer to the bunco squad of your local PD.

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2013

Angie's List costs money to join. And Angie is a teabagger.

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2013

[quote] And Angie is a teabagger.

Shut your hole, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2013

Datalounge, for God's sake.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2013

I'm busy busy busy busy.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!