Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Walmart Cookie Muncher Arrested

A Walmart employe has been charged with felony theft after she was caught munching Oreos from the store's shelves, police said.

When confronted by cops with video of the alleged theft, Penny S. Winters, 63, admitted she ate the cookies and said she had been doing it for years.

After a box of opened Oreo cookies were discovered at a Walmart in Portage, Ind., and an investigation was conducted, a longtime Walmart employee admitted she not only consumed Oreos she hadn't paid for, but also took junk food from the company every week for four years.

She said she regularly snacked on gum, chips, sandwiches and chocolates, according to the police report.

As to why she repeatedly stole the items, Winters told police she could not afford them. Winters could not explain to police why she chose to steal "junk food" instead of legitimate food products normally associated with necessity.

by Anonymousreply 16502/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2013

Fucking Walmart..I saw the documentary "The HIgh Cost of Low Prices" and haven't gone there in years. One of the managers said she hated to lunch in the breakroom because so many employees couldn't afford food and she hated to eat in front of them. It's probably easier for someone there so still cookies than salads and frozen meat.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2013

'to steal' not oh still...

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2013

Maybe they should pay their employees more!

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2013

This is not good for WalMart.

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2013

r4 I agree, they should. They should also not publicly arrest and humiliate a 63 year old. I know they are probably snarking thinking the public will back them with the public's hatred of the poor and dumb and hey, this dumb bitch should have been stealing real food. But really I just think they look like huge pricks who have probably been ripped off for maybe 800 bucks and need to stfu about it.

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2013

Most importantly they are charging her with a FELONY. This is like modern day Victor Hugo shit.

by Anonymousreply 802/23/2013

Why is this not good for Walmart, R5?

by Anonymousreply 902/23/2013

"Maybe employees should bring their lunches from home. You know, like everyone used to do."

It doesn't matter where you get your lunch from if you cannot afford to buy food in the first place. If you can't afford food, you might have to steal it, which is easy to do if you work at a store such as Walmart.

You don't seem to be aware that Walmart employees wages are so low, they are eligible for Medicaid and Food Stamps!

Read up on this vile corporation, then come back to comment.

by Anonymousreply 1002/23/2013

It just irks me to read about how they had to fire her because of their sense of honesty and integrity..yeah, miss me with that shit, Walmart, you guys have been fucking over the welfare system for years and your employees too.

by Anonymousreply 1102/23/2013

FELONY theft?

Terrific. A huge, successful corporation lost a few bucks over the years in stolen Oreos and Doritos and because of that is looking to put a 63-year-old in prison for a few years so that taxpayers can pay to keep her in there, because no doubt she's incredibly dangerous to have running around loose.Then when she's released she'll probably have to go right on welfare, because who would hire a nearly-70-year-old convicted felon? So the state can continue supporting her until she dies. Because of cookies. COOKIES.

What she did was wrong, and she should be fired. She should also have a misdemeanor theft conviction on her record, with probation for awhile. That should do it for Sticky-Fingered Grandma. Why on Earth would anybody think putting her in the pen for awhile and making her a felon would be in the public interest? Everybody loses in this scenario. Every except, predictably, Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2013

Exactly r10 and that was the gist of what I got from the documentary and also from "Nickled and Dimed" not just that they didn't buy their food at the Walmart Mcdonalds but that they couldn't afford enough food in general. I really hate those creeps.

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

r13 you are vile

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

But people who would steal from Best Buy would probably steal high end stuff that they could later sell. I doubt she was selling sleeves of oreos, she probably just ate there while she got hungry on her shift. I don't condone stealing but Walmart are notorious dicks and the humiliating her is what gets me. If someone stole from BB it would not be such a funny, what a dummy, type of story and wouldn't surprise anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2013

R18 you're a piece of shit too. But you already know that deep down.

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2013

R18 because nutritious foods, vegetables and fruits and unprocessed whole foods are far more expensive than fast food or processed chips and meats. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

r18 but I think food stamps were meant to be used for people having a hard time for awhile. Walmart expects it's employees to all use food stamps and use medicare even though they are not unemployed. Walmart are greedy fucks who abuse the system.

I saw a PBS documentary about poor kids/families right around Christmas and one little girl said they were fat because they constantly ate the cheap and starchy frozen pizzas. It made me cry.

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2013

I remember a couple of years ago it was discovered that Walmart was taking out million dollar life insurance policies on employees. The employees had no idea btw and I forget how it came out .

by Anonymousreply 2302/23/2013

r18 i'm curious if you have ever been impoverished?

by Anonymousreply 2402/23/2013

A 10 pound bag of apples is $5.00. A large bunch of bananas is $1.60. A bag of carrots is $2.00.

by Anonymousreply 2502/23/2013

[quote]This is like modern day Victor Hugo shit.----Except she didn't steal bread, she stole junk food.

Bread IS junk food

by Anonymousreply 2602/23/2013

Well she is 63 and does maintenance at Walmart. Clearly this woman made some serious fucking vocational and life errors. But she did and jailing her isn't really going to help anyone. And yeah, it's not anyone else's fault she did this but she did and this is a dumb way to solve it.

Oh and whoever asked why it would hurt Walmart's image, I think because they arrested an old and (she says) broke woman and embarrassed her about it. I doubt their older demographic will find that to be understanding or even nice to the elderly. Also, they are full of shit and total hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 2802/23/2013

What a vile company. I feel dirty catching a glimpse at one of their stores while driving.

by Anonymousreply 2902/23/2013

What she did is wrong and she needed to be fired. She is a sad, pathetic woman. But she does not deserve to be charged with a felony.

What she did is on the order of stealing pencils, pens, paper, etc from an employer in an office setting, which a lot of white collar workers do on a routine basis (and which is also wrong). But people do it.

She stole junk food because that was the ultimate food luxury that she could not afford. There would be no satisfaction in stealing staples that would actually be healthful to her.

The fact that an employee of Walmart cannot afford to buy the (junk) food that Walmart sells reflects much worse on Walmart than on the woman.

by Anonymousreply 3002/23/2013

yes r30, well put.

by Anonymousreply 3102/23/2013

[quote]Winters could not explain to police why she chose to steal "junk food" instead of legitimate food

Legitimate food? Is illegitimate food made by unmarried bakers?

by Anonymousreply 3202/23/2013

r33 is a pathetic tool.

by Anonymousreply 3402/23/2013

A Walmart employee in Indiana stole some Oreos and ... why do we know this, exactly? This counts as national news now?

by Anonymousreply 3502/23/2013

Portage rents start around $475.

WalMart has a policy of keeping workers hours low so they cannot get benefits. So say she works 20 hours a week, $950 a month before transportation -- Portage surely does not have public transportation -- before a single fun thing in her life, movies, books, or a dinner out.

There is no way this woman can afford rent and food.

No wonder she is hungry. She would be hungry if all she ate was beans and ramen.

It is different if you are in college. As a 63 year old woman, maybe not this one, but there a lot of them trying to help out with other people. Most, not all, but most college students have emergency resources, family, friends, that diminishes if you are old and poor.

How do we know she made bad choices? She was getting an education 45 years ago. How could she predict that the investors were going to ruin the economy? How could have planned a backup job two generations ago?

Do we not owe people respect in their older years?

She steals cookies because she can't steal a salad or make an apple, cheese, and rice lunch. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 3602/23/2013

Walmart *is* the conservative agenda. This is their plan, humiliate, demean, and destroy human beings for profit.

by Anonymousreply 3802/23/2013

r37 Yes, she shouldn't have stolen, but I bet people are fired from Walmart every single day for stealing and I never read about that in the news. It's because they thought it was dumb and embarrassing what she stole and knew the whole "stealing junk food" would piss off the average person so they humiliated her while talking about their fucking integrity and honesty..

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2013

Dear Dummy at R33. To get that 200 a month a person could have absolutely NO income or assets. Meaning they must live rent free with maybe a relative.

ANY income is counted against those benefits, so it is a rare single person who gets that 200.

I know you are going to tell us how well you live on the 75.

I bet you used it to buy a goat and make your own cheese eating the kids it gives birth to and impregnating the goat yourself so that you can save on stud fees.

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2013

[quote]Walmart expects it's employees to all use food stamps and use medicare even though they are not unemployed.

You can still get foodstamps if you are employed somewhere in most states. SNAP is based on income.

Yeah, she should have been fired if she continuously did this over the course of several years. Its the same as stealing money from the cash register.

But in reality these stores waste tons of food. I used to work at a big box store. Every time a package was ripped open or torn and put back on the shelf by a customer, which happens a lot, it had to be defected. We took home food many nights because of this and no one cared enough to fire us.

by Anonymousreply 4102/23/2013

And yet not ONE banker was arrested for the collapse of the housing market in the aughts. Trillion of dollars were lost for the average working stiff.

Fuck WalMart.

by Anonymousreply 4202/23/2013

[quote]Every time a package was ripped open or torn and put back on the shelf by a customer, which happens a lot, it had to be defected.

It happens with pregnancy tests, too.

by Anonymousreply 4302/23/2013

WalMart throws out tons of food from their delis each year. They refuse to donate unsold food to charities such as AngelFood. They'd rather throw food in a dumpster than allow a poor person a meal. I am not suprised that they are pursuing felony charges over fucking junk food.

by Anonymousreply 4402/23/2013

That pisses me off r44. I used to work with a homeless shelter in LA and they got good donations of deli and bakery things from Von's Pavilions, it was good stuff and all the residents loved it. I always thought it was cool they would bring it or have us pick it up every night. I guess when the woman gets out of jail she can go live at that shelter and have goodies every night.

by Anonymousreply 4502/23/2013

[quote]Walmart expects it's employees to all use food stamps and use medicare even though they are not unemployed.

Why should my taxes go to subsidizing the multi-billionaire Walton family?

The real Walmart story is that the Walton family got very, very rich from foodstamps(SNAP), Medicaid, and Section 8. They're able to underpay their employees because the rest of us are taking up the slack. And that's not even to mention the fact that those same employees are stuck using their foodstamps and medicaid to purchase food, prescriptions, and medical supplies at fucking Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 4602/23/2013

42 makes the best point as to comparative justice. Bankers and stock traders go free BUT I don't like the whole tone here of "it's ok to steal from dishonest or immoral people if they have something you want/need(?)". If that's the rule then most of the folks I know are potential targets.

by Anonymousreply 4702/23/2013

Not sure why she admitted the long-term theft.

Charge her, even fine her, but felony theft, even though a valid charge, seem a bit extreme. Prosecutors have discretion and could have reduced the charge.

by Anonymousreply 4802/23/2013

R46 proving that ALL welfare is corporate welfare.

by Anonymousreply 4902/23/2013

I'm surprised at the cops. They look bad too. Indiana is a shithole. They are a red state that would rather persecute a 63 yr old for "stealing " cookies, and that tells you all you ever need to know about the mentality of the GOP. Fucking cookies.

If you're going to pay sweatshop wages, at least give your employees fucking food vouchers so they can get a burger at Mickey D's.

by Anonymousreply 5002/23/2013

Yeah that too r46, the whole "company store" shit Walmart does with it's employees. One of the ladies said she worked long and weird hours so couldn't get to the bank, but no problem, they cash your checks right there at work even at 3 am and then throw down some shitty sales and it's just easier to shop there and I'm sure they have layaway too. It's shitty that people do this to poor people who don't have time or transportation options to shop elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5102/23/2013

The policy of limiting workers to part time work so they cannot raises or benefits was not made up. That is the retail-warehouse policy as leaked by some mid-level executive at Sam's Club. Many WalMart workers confirmed the situation exists at WalMart, see link to MSNBC

We don't know what this woman does or her living arrangements are, but millions of workers all over the country want more hours and can't get them because companies that make enormous profits won't let them. Then the companies would have to pay benefits.

The owners of the companies would rather pass the bill for social benefits onto tax payers and, at the same time, lobby for no funding for public health services, an end to welfare, while celebrating the hiding of taxable money all over the world.

If you doubt that food insecurity or lack of desirable hours for working people is a serious problem in this economy, google is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 5202/23/2013

Anyone who thinks someone stealing (any) food *to eat* (as opposed to selling for drug money) deserves jail time, is an asshole.

The criminals would be the greedy billionaire offspring of a man who was truly an American and believed in this country rather than making his money off of sweatshop workers.

by Anonymousreply 5302/23/2013

Bullshit r55, nobody was mocking the old bus driver that screwed the young kid. Nobody would mock someone that had to graze at work because they had a shitty job.

by Anonymousreply 5702/23/2013

R40: You nailed it.

Virtually no single person can get food stamps. The authorities giving out benefits aren't dumb. They have everything laid out in spread sheets.

If any person is getting a check such as an unemployment, Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or a small pension then your income is too high for food stamps. The money you can have isn't even subsistence.

If you have so that you might get food stamps, before you can get them they want proof that you have applied and been denied unemployment, Social Security and a list of all assets. Any such income beyond a welfare check will knock out food stamps.

If you have a roommate, and how can you rent your won place if you are so poor you qualify for food stamps? then both incomes are used to determining eligibility. That knocks you out.

When there are more than one person in a household, the rule of thumb is that there has to be more people than checks. We had two Social Security checks and an unemployment check at one time for three, and we were not eligible.

That's the spread sheet effect. States hate giving food stamps because they have no fucking money. What money they do have goes to parents and children first, which makes sense.

They have no money because investors broke the economy and with that went the tax base. Clinton broke the welfare commitment from the federal government, so it is not just one party.

Here's a tip. Don't repeat what is essentially a Fox News talking point about how well off poor people are until you check it out.

Conservatives want not-so-poor people thinking that even poorer people are getting over on them. That way we don't join with them, look at the rich, and get out pitchforks.

Ever notice that conservatives have no problem at all with their corporations getting public assistance? But boy does it piss them off when people at the bottom get anything.

by Anonymousreply 5802/23/2013

R54 WRONG stores are protected by law when donating packaged items.

by Anonymousreply 5902/23/2013

R58 you are wrong about one point.

States are given federal money for Snap. Most of it goes unused.

States hate giving them because they are assholes, but it costs them nothing.

by Anonymousreply 6002/23/2013

[quote]And yet not ONE banker was arrested for the collapse of the housing market in the aughts. Trillion of dollars were lost for the average working stiff.

by Anonymousreply 6102/23/2013

r58 Im 22 and single, I live alone and I get foodstamps. I make $8.25 hour at a full time entry level job. I only get 30 dollars a month, but its still better than nothing. I started getting food assistance in college. I got $200 a month when I was a work study student. So single people can get foodstamps if they live alone, barely make more than minimum wage, and arent receiving other benefits.

by Anonymousreply 6202/23/2013

and r62 is a prime example why minimum wage needs to be higher.

by Anonymousreply 6302/23/2013

[quote]you do know that we have food stamps in this country.

That's a typical freeper mentality.

You do know that the money allotted for food stamps in this country has been cut way back so people who could get food stamps a few years ago are denied the needed food stamps today.

by Anonymousreply 6402/23/2013

r54, Walmart won't donate unsold items which are left immediately when the store closes. I am talking about fresh (well, as fresh as one can get from the Walmart deli) food. The homeless and hungry do not go out and sue places that donate food given to the shelters!

by Anonymousreply 6502/23/2013

Also, if you have a roommate or are a single childless adult living with family, then you may be considered the only person in the "household," i.e., the only person on the case. Although I live with family, which I stated on the application, I was eligible because I was only applying for myself.

I know someone who works for the social services agency in New York City. She said sometimes applications are denied because caseworkers are overwhelmed and can't work through their quotas.

by Anonymousreply 6602/23/2013

She'll be munchin on my cookie real soon!

by Anonymousreply 6702/23/2013

Suppose you are single and go to live with your family. The family will get increased food stamps, but not nearly $200 worth. The theory is that cooking for many is cheaper than cooking individually.

by Anonymousreply 6802/23/2013

Guess who ran on this platform. Where on the spectrum was it -- right, moderate, left, socialist?

Extra credit if you know how the economy was doing in that year and continued to do for the next 25:

Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits;

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;

Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable;

Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex; Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment;

Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public.

[Make the] protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively firm and permanent policy.

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2013

Wal-Mart has security cameras everywhere, why wasn't she caught and scolded on day one, when the bill was a buck 69?

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2013

This thread would've been more DL-appropriate if she'd been munching carpet instead of cookies.

by Anonymousreply 7102/23/2013

Perhaps she was taking them off the shelves and eating them where there aren't any cameras. Some fink walked in on her in the rest room.

I saw a blog post the other day in which a low level supervisor didn't like to be in the rest area eating something because she knew many of the workers on break were hungry and had nothing.

It was not because they forget their lunch. They had nothing to buy a lunch with, from home or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 7202/23/2013

R33 How do you eat on $65 a month? Or are you the boylimic who's always going on about how fat Freddie Smith is?

by Anonymousreply 7302/23/2013

R58, I was going to pleasantly point out (from my own past experience, once, and from the experience of one family member and several friends and aquaintances that you're wrong about food stamps, but then R66 pointed it out for me.

Mind you, it is perhaps "unfair" that someone living at home, probably rent-free can apply for food stamps and the "household" is just them themselves as a single person, as R66 said, but that's the way it is. Currently.

There is a lot of unfairness, though. If you're on unemployment; I believe however low the $$ amount, you're not eligible for food stamps. (At least in CA; I can't speak for other states.)

Agre with all the posters who say, "felony" for the thread's story about the woman in Walmart, is ridiculous. I wish people would rise up and (a) support this woman, and (b) boycott Walmart; alas, (c) this is very unlikely 'cause they do have, by and large, very low prices.

Sigh. I will feel guilty next time (only once a month) I go there. Perhaps I wlil make a sarcastic comment to someone in charge.

by Anonymousreply 7402/23/2013

So, don't go r74. Id rather spend more and support a local store, and that's what I do.

by Anonymousreply 7602/23/2013

She probably could spell source better than you can.

by Anonymousreply 7702/23/2013

[quote] What she did is wrong and she needed to be fired

My father stole from his job. Toilet paper and a pair of shoes. He was caught and suspended without pay for 6 months, but kept his job and pension. He learned his lesson and never even accidentally took a pen home from work after that. I'm glad he was given a second chance. We don't do that for people anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7802/23/2013

when I was a teen and worked in a local up scale grocery store I used to always steal products and eat them in the store and so did a lot of other people. I can't believe how trashy I was.

by Anonymousreply 7902/23/2013

Wasn't that one of the perks?

by Anonymousreply 8002/23/2013

There should be petition on Facebook to drop the ridiculous felony charge.

I'm going to start one.

by Anonymousreply 8102/23/2013

r40, you are fucking hilarious. You told that goat-fucking bitch!

by Anonymousreply 8202/23/2013

My brother-in-law qualifies for $200 a month in food debit cards. He is mentally ill and lives with his near-90 year old parents. He gets SSI and Medicaid.

by Anonymousreply 8302/23/2013

When an employee steals, you have to get rid of them, and you have to let the other employees know it is not tolerated. But I have never heard of a company prosecuting something like this. It's not like she was embezzling funds or stealing pallets full of food. It's petty theft (albeit over a long period of time).

I suspect that what earlier poster said is true: the foolish people at Walmart think that the PR will be good. That it will show they stand for integrity and honesty.

by Anonymousreply 8502/23/2013

Walmart has no integrity or honesty though. It's more conservative projection.

by Anonymousreply 8602/23/2013

I don't know how the whole food stamps eligibility works, but here in Philly some people must be able to milk it because I see people all the time shopping at Whole Foods and paying with access cards. The person in front of me the other day had the belt packed with organic blueberries (5.00 a pint no less) lettuce, milk, etc. Yet some people have to be able to survive off two bucks a day...

by Anonymousreply 8702/23/2013

r87, while it would be nice if everyone could buy more expensive food on stamps, using food stamps to buy healthy food isn't "milking" the system.

Poor people are always criticized for using food stamp money to buy cheaper junk food (just see upthread), now we're going to criticize them for buying healthier food, too? Maybe they should just stop eating altogether. Would that make everyone happy?

by Anonymousreply 8802/23/2013

R87 you don't know their life...

by Anonymousreply 8902/23/2013

I understand that you can let those cards accrue over a period of time, then use it when you have a a lot of money on them. This is probably what we often times witness, and justifiably, feel enraged about, but it's four months worth.

I try and step back from my thoughts. Who knows, maybe the blueberry woman was making blueberry scones to sell at a bake sale, r87.

by Anonymousreply 9002/23/2013

We are all so eager to judge and make choices for others. Who the fuck cares why she needed or wanted the berries?

by Anonymousreply 9102/23/2013

r90 You're right at least in Nevada you can let them get more money over time. My cousin lost his ebt card and it had like 800 dollars on it..I was so mad, I could eat for two months on that, I'm single with no kids.

by Anonymousreply 9202/23/2013

Because she was buying them on MY dime!

by Anonymousreply 9302/23/2013

[quote]A 10 pound bag of apples is $5.00. A large bunch of bananas is $1.60. A bag of carrots is $2.00.

WTF? Where can you get produce for that cheap? Must not be organic.

by Anonymousreply 9402/23/2013

The cheapest apples I can get are about .69 each. NO 10lb bags at my local store.

by Anonymousreply 9502/23/2013

Most of the workers are already on food stamps so the cheapass company, is making the middle class pay their worker's, wages.

by Anonymousreply 9602/23/2013

Where is the fucking outrage when HSBC pilfers billions of dollars? Do any of the douchebags on here condemn those people? No, it's poor bashing, plain and simple. She stole some fucking cookies. Get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 9702/23/2013

It would be better for the world, if Walmart was put out of business. No one actually needs, 10, $10 dollar shirts.

by Anonymousreply 9802/23/2013

I couldn't eat 10 pounds of apples before they spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 9902/23/2013

Hear, hear, R98.

by Anonymousreply 10002/23/2013

"Get a life," R101?

1999 is calling and he wants his bad slang back.

by Anonymousreply 10202/23/2013

I agree with r97, if I was broke and in trouble I'd want him on my jury.

by Anonymousreply 10302/23/2013

R101 = banker's sterile wife

by Anonymousreply 10402/23/2013

Charged with a felony over junk food? Only Walmart would be so ridiculous and heartless.

What kills me is the banks have robbed people for years...worse than loan sharks and when they need money...they just ask for a handout from the tax payers, no problem. It's OK for the most wealthy to steal but a poor Walmart worker is arrested.

by Anonymousreply 10502/23/2013

She stole, it wasn't like she was hungry. She could've got food stamps. People who have SS disability qualify for lots of government programs as well as housing.

The poster who said, $200 is a lot of money is right. $100 is sufficient.

Most people sell their food stamps anyhow, for like 25 cents on the dollar.

by Anonymousreply 10602/23/2013

Food Stamps is such an old term. The program issues a credit card, not like you can go and sell a portion of it.

by Anonymousreply 10702/23/2013

Dear 1986 at R106 there are no physical stamps to sell, it is a debit card with your photo and fingerprints.

Sincerely, 2013

by Anonymousreply 10802/23/2013

If I had foodstamps/EBT, I could give the card to anyone, they would just need my pin number.

I knew people who used to supply their restaurant with the grandmother's food stamps. I thought it was kind of odd but she lived with them so I guess they thought it was the best way to use the benefit. They were Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 10902/23/2013

When Walmart first opened in my area, every one went there to buy Halloween candy and Christmas and Valentine candy because there were always a few open bags of candy and you could nosh on a few pieces of chocolate while you shopped.

Beleve me, they got more customers in that store because they could eat 2 or 3 free, biite-sized Nestles Crunch bars -- the increase in customers made up for losing a couple of bags of candy that were probablygoing to be sold at 75% off after the holiday and still make a profit.

by Anonymousreply 11002/23/2013

I am on food stamps, receiving a monthly credit of two hundred dollars on an ATM-like card.

I recently completed a master's degree and have been job-hunting for over a year;for any job, part-time or full-time. I've even applied for maintenance jobs at McDonald's (i.e mopping floors and scrubbing toilets).I'm willing to do any kind of work that isn't illegal.

I always get the typical response: you're over-qualified.

Anyone who is not on food stamps should not be making ridiculous assumptions such as "selling them for 25 cents on the dollar is typical".

I need the aid in order to eat. I am not a deadbeat.

by Anonymousreply 11102/23/2013

R109 and your finger print in many states. Will you cut off a finger and sell it?

by Anonymousreply 11202/23/2013

She was arrest because she was a CARPET muncher.

by Anonymousreply 11302/23/2013

you could theoretically just bring some one shopping with you and then have them give you cash outside, I see postings for that on Craigslist, but no, you can't physically sell them.

by Anonymousreply 11402/23/2013

R108, would my brother-in-law who is going to get $200 a month in food debit have to go to the store with his mother to use the debit card? He's an out-of-it schizo who is incapable of food shopping on his own and would be disruptive in a supermarket, trying to get coffee and cigarettes from everyone -- customers as well as workers.

Will MIL have to bring him along so he can have his face or fingers scanned?

by Anonymousreply 11502/23/2013

R115 when someone is like that they can appoint or have appointed a 'designated shopper' who then submits to fingerprinting and photos.

by Anonymousreply 11602/23/2013

Bullshit, R106. Have you even been at a checkout line in the last decade?

There are no "food stamps" anymore. Your alloted funds are pre loaded onto a debit card issued by the state. It is very difficult to "sell" those funds, unless the store/vendor is in on the fraud. Only other way is to let someone else use your card, but that is high-risk. Get caught, you're out of the program. And most people who do qualify for food assistance, cannot afford to be thrown out of the program.

by Anonymousreply 11702/23/2013

Awwww SNAP!

by Anonymousreply 11802/23/2013

One example at link... Only druggy dairy and hydrogenated peanut butter for you!

As you can see, the Infant Meat section does not specify if the infants are free range.

by Anonymousreply 11902/23/2013

No one is denying that poor people don't deserve to eat healthy nutritious food. But when you have two sets of blueberries stocked next to each other, regular at 2.99 and organic at 4.99, and you buy 3 pints of organic, then you aren't too concerned about getting the most value for your "dollar". Which you would think would apply to someone who requires public assistance to eat.

by Anonymousreply 12002/23/2013

It saddens me to see people attacking this woman. Wal Mart is a horrible business and they are bringing felony charges against a woman who they pay 11 dollars an hour to, because she ate oreos that they would most likely end up throwing away anyway. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 12102/23/2013

R106 you're an awful human being. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 12202/23/2013

R106 = Javert.

Hope he dies in a sewer.

by Anonymousreply 12302/23/2013

Why would Walmart most likely end up throwing away those Oreos, R121??

by Anonymousreply 12402/23/2013

I agree with 36

We never know what life will bring. No reason to bring felony charges against her

by Anonymousreply 12502/23/2013

walmart used to donate expired food now they throw it away to avert any possible lawsuits from someone getting sick

by Anonymousreply 12602/23/2013

It's always amazing to see how many morons think it's very easy to get food stamps/food debit cards. The worst part is that, needy people get shut out while some scammers know how to work the system.

by Anonymousreply 12702/23/2013

I am on food stamps. 200 a month with one child. I work and try to survive each month.

by Anonymousreply 12802/23/2013

Rather than give unsold clothes away, companies ruin the clothes and then throw them away.

by Anonymousreply 12902/23/2013

[quote]Rather than give unsold clothes away, companies ruin the clothes and then throw them away.

Are we supposed to believe that every company in the U.S. does this? Really?

The local Goodwill gets end of season clothes from Sears all the time. I was looking for blazers for some of the men in our chorale and got two new blazers with the tags still on.

by Anonymousreply 13002/23/2013

r130 Oddly, I think the Hustler store does too. One of my friends from the Salvation Army rehab had a bunch of brand new Hustler or Penthouse tank tops that she said came in from the store there in LA. I don't know who else does but thought it odd that Hustler or whoever did. Maybe it was Playboy? Anyhow I know it was done.

by Anonymousreply 13102/23/2013

And yet the wall street bankers and corrupt congressmen seldom get charged with any crimes.

by Anonymousreply 13202/23/2013

I agree with someone who posted on another thread. He said that many gay men who identify as liberals,really do so only because they want same-sex marriage.

It really shows on this thread! I am a real liberal. Social programs will always have some who abuse them. It does not negate the fact they need to be in place! I want the people who need them to have them.

I have more than I need. I WANT to pay more taxes if it means everyone in this country has food and a safe place to sleep.

Also I do not believe the asshole who makes it sound as though he subsists on sixty-five dollars a month worth of groceries. Why do I feel like he didn't include all the meals he eats out. I feel bad for some of you.

by Anonymousreply 13302/23/2013

[quote]It really shows on this thread!

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the supposed sexuality of the people posting opinion on this website.

by Anonymousreply 13402/23/2013

Walmart, Red Lobster and Olive Garden are saying their business is down because of higher payroll taxes. Bullshit. There business is down because their owners bad mouthed Obama.

by Anonymousreply 13502/23/2013

R106 is an ignorant idiot. EBT food is JUST for one gets rich on food stamps, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 13602/23/2013

This is quite a problem for those who believe junk food should be banned and who now because of this story have to lecture us that junk food is a human right, not a luxury.

by Anonymousreply 13702/23/2013

Photo and fingerprints? My ass, r108.

Where the hell did you get that? All a person would need is the pin number.

Or the person could be right there in the store with them. Hey, give me 50 cash and you can use the 70 on my EBT card.

by Anonymousreply 13802/23/2013

R135 their business is down because it's becoming common knowledge that they will won't let people work full time, they make everyone part time so as not to have to pay medical

by Anonymousreply 13902/23/2013

[quote]Or the person could be right there in the store with them. Hey, give me 50 cash and you can use the 70 on my EBT card.

A lot of good the pin number will be if the guy wanting to use the card is 40 years old and the photo on the card shows a 70 year old lady.

by Anonymousreply 14002/23/2013

There is no photo on the EBT card...

at least not in the state of Georgia.

People use them in the self checkout lines all the time.

All you need is the pin number. That's it!

by Anonymousreply 14102/23/2013

amazing how some of you have taken the bait to vilify the poor.

by Anonymousreply 14202/23/2013

LOL r2.

They can't afford a 65 cent yogurt and a 22 cent banana?

by Anonymousreply 14302/24/2013

No one took the bait. I will answer the question I posed in R69.

In 1956 the Republican Party, then as now, the one party everybody admits is locked into wealth and corporate power, ran on that platform.

They had a popular president, Dwight Eisenhower, running for re-election. They controlled both houses of Congress. It was very likely that the election would give them a free hand for the next four years.

This platform laid out what the party thought were reasonable solutions to serious issues, and what would bring them the most support. You can bet this platform was vetted at the highest level of Wall Street.

If any of you don't know about Taft-Hartley you really should. It was designed to tame unions, make them lapdogs. The Republican Party(!) wanted to make the law more favorable to unions.

How was the economy then? We were well into the greatest expansion of wealth and GNP of any country ever. Everyone's life was improving every year.

College was affordable with no loans, everyone approved of Social Security, and workers felt secure in jobs where there was lifetime commitment on both sides. People could pay for routine medical care out of take home pay.

There was a vast commitment to rebuilding the infrastructure. Plans were laid out for the largest public works project in history -- the Interstate Highway System, started the next year.

How does the economy then compare to now? Why do low wage workers make less than subsistence wages?

The rich have stolen us blind.

"Corporations systematically created a wealth gap over the last 30 years. In 1955, IRS records indicated the 400 richest people in the country were worth an average $12.6 million, adjusted for inflation.

"In 2006, the 400 richest increased their average to $263 million, representing an epochal shift of wealth upward in the U.S.

"In 1955, the richest tier paid an average 51.2 percent of their income in taxes under a progressive federal income tax that included loopholes. By 2006, the richest paid only 17.2 percent of their income in taxes.

"In 1955, the proportion of federal income from corporate taxes was 33 percent; by 2003, it decreased to 7.4 percent. Today, the top taxpayers pay the same percentage of their incomes in taxes as those making $50,000 to $75,000, although they doubled their share of total U.S. income.

"Over the past 30 years, the income of the top one percent, adjusted for inflation, doubled: the top one-tenth of one percent tripled, and the one-one-hundredth quadrupled . . . Meanwhile, the average income of the bottom 90 percent has gone down slightly. This is a stunning transformation." See link

The economy was booming for everyone because those at the top knew they could achieve wealth and at the same time let the rest of us share in that wealth.

More than that. They knew that sharing was essential to their long term wealth, not to mention their health.

These facts are all out there. We have nothing to prove. The burden now shifts to those who hate the poor and love the rich. How can you contradict the fact that when the economy crashed, we got hammered and the wealthy got bailed out?

Do you have an alternate explanation as to why the economy can't recover other than the vast majority have nothing in their pockets to spend?

If the busting of unions, the breaking of wage scales, and the impoverishment of 99% of the population was going to turn things around through trickle-down, then 30 years of failure is enough evidence that it never will.

Come on apologists for the rich. Present your theory that making the rich filthy rich is good for everyone.

Don't blame greedy unions. That's bullshit. Unions built the middle class we used to have.

Plenty of countries have powerful unions while having better economies and public services than we do.

by Anonymousreply 14402/24/2013

Well there's the first rebuttal. Vacuous as one would expect.

by Anonymousreply 14702/24/2013

You see what you want to see. You want to sneer at people below you, so you pick on faults.

I liked George Orwell's suggestion -- government should provide cigarettes and alcohol to those on welfare, they have so little enjoyment in life.

by Anonymousreply 14902/24/2013

Pay living wages so people don't have to steal in order to eat. Walmart should be ashamed, especially since they could afford to pay employees more, particularly when they buy so much of their crap from China.

by Anonymousreply 15102/24/2013

The American revolution is on the way...R151 will be one of us.

by Anonymousreply 15202/24/2013

Hear, hear, R151. Also, it should be emphasized how Wal-Mart's corporate buyers exploit Chinese labor. I've read that they will tell Chinese suppliers to bring the unit cost down by a few cents or they will take their business elsewhere. You can guess who really suffers as a result. Hint: it ain't the Chinese factory owners.

by Anonymousreply 15302/24/2013

I would assume it is the factory workers who suffer...what are you saying R153?

by Anonymousreply 15402/24/2013

Show us the back R141, most states put the photo on the back,not the front.

by Anonymousreply 15502/24/2013

Give it up bleeding heart at r155. There is no photo on the Georgia EBT card.

As for the desperate claim that EBT cards are encoded with the recipient's fingerprints, that's the funniest damn thing I've heard in ages!

Some of you will say anything in the name of your social cause.

by Anonymousreply 15602/24/2013

Cuomo wants to end it but they fingerprint in New York.

by Anonymousreply 15702/24/2013

Some of you are confusing what it takes to GET a card versus what it takes to USE a card.

NY may require a fingerprint to be accepted for a EBT card but it certainly IS NOT on the card. Just a pin number is needed to use it.

I know for a fact that in order to get a Georgia EBT card, one has to show proof of citizenship (birth certificate).

But, there's no photo on the card and certainly not a fingerprint. All one needs to use it is the pin number--- which is why the state constantly stress EBT users not to give anyone the pin number. They can't later call up and claim someone used the card without permission, because in order for that to have happened, they had to have given up the pin number.

by Anonymousreply 15802/24/2013

Thank you, r144. R150 (if you click on her, her ignorant, angry posts light up like a xmas tree) you seriously are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15902/24/2013

R144's post also makes a strong case in regards to the crime rates rising and becoming increasingly more and more violent over the years.

by Anonymousreply 16002/24/2013

At assisted living facilities, it's common for the residents to pool their EBT cards together to purchase groceries for the "house," which all the residents share. So one of the staff members will typically take all the EBT cards, and use them at once.

by Anonymousreply 16102/24/2013

Anyone else read this as Walmart Carpet Muncher at first glance?

Color me disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 16202/24/2013

New York Times -- Weight-Watchers 2/26/13

Low Wage Workers Are Beginning to Fight Back:

"[The workers'] frustration reflects a growing discontent among low-wage workers, as seen in the recent protests at dozens of Walmarts, at high-end retailers in Chicago and at fast-food restaurants in New York.

Low-wage workers have become more assertive out of dismay that while corporate profits have rebounded to record levels since the recession, wages have floundered."

Weight Watcher workers get 18 for holding a meeting. That often amounts to six dollars an hour. The person has to arrive early to set up, weigh people, lead the meeting and give advice. They have not had a raise in ten years.

Weight Watchers is a for profit company. On February 13, 2013 the company reported earnings of 58 million for 50 million shares outstanding in one quarter or projected 230 million dollars in one year profit for their stockholders.

CEO Kirchoff made 2.9 million in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 16302/26/2013

Viva la Revolucion!

by Anonymousreply 16402/26/2013

WalMart does not cover 60% of its workers with any health insurance.

For every 2 jobs it creates in a community, three are lost.

Costs federal taxpayers over 1.5 billion in welfare to its employees.

It tops list of employees on public assistance in 11 states.

70% of its merchandise is from China.

Discrimnates against women, violates child labor laws, and busts unions.

Meanwhile 4 of the 10 wealthiest billionaires in the world are owners of WalMart.

The owners of WalMart have as much wealth as 47 percent of the rest of the population.

by Anonymousreply 16502/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!