Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm sick of the cupcake shop fad.

French Macarons are better.

by stonedreply 12604/27/2015

I'll alert the media

by stonedreply 102/23/2013

Macarons are already over in my city. The new thing is gourmet donuts. At some places, a donut will cost you five bucks.

by stonedreply 202/23/2013

Article about the donut thing.

by stonedreply 302/23/2013

I've never been to one of the cupcake shops. We have so many of them here in LA, but it has never made sense to me. I don't like anything with a frosting on it. Most of those horrible coatings are just vegetable fat and sugar. It's like eating crisco and sugar, and we all know what crisco really should be used for.

by stonedreply 402/23/2013

R3, Glory Hole Doughnuts? Oh, you Canadians are so dirty!

by stonedreply 502/23/2013

Macarons are fucking gross. That nasty jam on them is vile. I'll take cupcakes anyday.

BTW, if you don't like cupcake shops, don't visit them. Simple!

by stonedreply 602/23/2013

Sugar is poison, guys.

by stonedreply 702/23/2013

I'm in London and order my macaroons from Pierre Herme in Paris. They arrive in perfect boxes and securely packed with keep-fresh stuff. Herme do lovely cakes too, I particuarly like the marmalade and ginger one, for special occasions.

(I know Pierre Herme also have a shop in London and a concession at Selfridges, which I will get around to visiting before too long).

by stonedreply 802/23/2013

Why would anyone buy cupcakes when they're so easy to make at home?

by stonedreply 902/23/2013

Why would anyone want to be fat?

by stonedreply 1002/23/2013

OP:

Learn how to spell "macaroon."

by stonedreply 1102/23/2013

R8 = GOOP

by stonedreply 1202/23/2013

Ah! R8! Selfridges! I remember that department store when I went to London when I was 18 many moons ago. That store is gorgeous!

That lady who started the cupcake craze is the one who started the high end chain, Sprinkles. My brother owns a bakery and he said her cupcakes are so overrated that its embarrassing. Sprinkles is thee in place to go and her cupcakes are around and her business is booming because people want to say they buy their cupcakes from Sprinkles. BTW, they are around $3.00 each. We have a Sprinkles near where I live in a very upscale shopping center. My cousin went to buy some cupcakes from Sprinkles and she was shocked how everyone is so crazy for them. She said her daughter is a way better baker than that over priced crap.

by stonedreply 1302/23/2013

R11, I didn't know that! So is raw sugar better to use? I use unbleached flour and sugar. Also, food dye causes cancer because its made out of chemical garbage. I think pales like Whole Foods sells food dye made from natural ingredients.

by stonedreply 1402/23/2013

R10, what? I know fat people and they are fat for numerous reasons ,and they don't necessarily want to be fat.Sometimes its a genetic issue, sometimes its a compulsive issue, etc. Its very hard to over come obesity and its not that simple.

BTW, I have watched a program sometime ago that food companies add chemicals in their food that makes you crave more therefore you want to buy more, which ultimately makes a person fat from this vicious cycle of consumption and additive to added chemicals.

by stonedreply 1502/23/2013

[quote] Learn how to spell "macaroon."

R12 - I imagine that OP would be able to spell macaroon, if that was the word he/she wanted to use.

by stonedreply 1602/23/2013

I hate coconuts.

by stonedreply 1802/23/2013

I prefer the macarons at Ladurée [R08]. Macaron is the french spelling.

by stonedreply 1902/23/2013

Cupcakes = fraufad

by stonedreply 2002/23/2013

I don't understand these weird, intense food fads in general. They typically spring up around things that are reasonably tasty but don't deserve to have such a fuss made over them. Cupcakes, red velvet cake, bacon (on EVERYthing, including desserts), "cake pops" (who the fuck thought "Sure, cake is okay, but wouldn't it be even better in mock lollipop form?"). Enough, already.

It's as if society at large has OCD coupled with an eating disorder.

by stonedreply 2102/23/2013

Someone in here once listed the Four Boutiques of the Apocalypse

One was a paperteria another was the cupcaketeria

I don't recall the other two, but I remained shellshocked from the End of Times in my town...

by stonedreply 2202/23/2013

I took some friends to a cupcake place, I said "my treat".... was I surprised at the bill! I expected to spend under twenty dollars. The bill was just under fifty.

whoops! Oh well, they took care of the dinner tab.

by stonedreply 2302/23/2013

[quote](I know Pierre Herme also have a shop in London and a concession at Selfridges, which I will get around to visiting before too long).

Surely there's excellent transport from Deptford. You should make the trip.

by stonedreply 2402/23/2013

macaroons are those coconut confections. Marcarons are the French "cookie".

Macarons look wonderful but are one of those things that don't really taste all that great. Macaroons are appalling.

I think petites fours will be the next big thing.

by stonedreply 2502/23/2013

When I get into the city, I head to Magnolia. I love their cupcakes. My favorite is the devils food with mocha-flavored butter cream. That's pure heaven. Of course that means another hour on the treadmill but it's worth it. :) If that makes me a frau, so be it.

by stonedreply 2602/23/2013

Wasn't there just a thread on here about the mice at Magnolia?

by stonedreply 2702/23/2013

Welcome to 2007, OP!

by stonedreply 2802/23/2013

I love watching fat people argue over which is the best dessert -- and hourly snack.

by stonedreply 2902/23/2013

They're both played out. Why can't gay people just have individual tastes instead of always trying to figure out what's "next"? You're a lot worse than fraus in that respect.

by stonedreply 3002/23/2013

[quote]Why would anyone buy cupcakes when they're so easy to make at home?

Because some of us don't see the point in baking six or a dozen cupcakes when all we want is one or half of one to satisfy an occasional craving for cupcakes.

I don't see the point in buying the ingredients for cupcakes when I can just buy one for $1.50 - $3.00 rather than be stuck with a bag flour, butter, etc because I don't use those things the rest of the time.

And no, I don't want to "freeze the rest" when I can buy a fresh one once in a while.

by stonedreply 3102/23/2013

The quaint little cupcake shoppe in my quaint little village has been around for about four years. It just went out of business.

by stonedreply 3202/23/2013

Is this one of those two year old threads that keeps getting bumped?

by stonedreply 3302/23/2013

No, it looks to be initiated today.

by stonedreply 3402/23/2013

"Moderation" is a concept lost on a few of the preceding posters.

by stonedreply 3502/23/2013

It's a crapshoot which one of these food fads will take hold and how long the fad will last. There will be people lining up one day and a year later everyone's gone out of business.

Do the people who start these shops come out ahead of the game?

by stonedreply 3602/23/2013

1985 -- Cappuccino shop opens in my neighborhood. People flock there for cappuccino, tiramisu and key lime pie.

1987 -- it's an ATM

by stonedreply 3702/23/2013

[quote]I think petites fours will be the next big thing.

Only if we're going for Swiss Colony catalog nostalgia.

by stonedreply 3802/23/2013

My neighborhood had a bunch of little bar/restaurants that had Sunday jazz brunch in the 80s and early 90s. They're all CVSs and Duane Reades now

by stonedreply 3902/23/2013

I'm very sad that Korean green grocers and bagel shops are disappearing.

by stonedreply 4002/23/2013

Petit fours are divine. I hope they do become the next fad, for some random new recipes and the like.

Until the fraus go mad and make a red velvet petit four.

by stonedreply 4102/23/2013

These foods fads are lame. Upper class white women who act like they've stumbled upon gold.

I eat what I want to eat.

by stonedreply 4202/23/2013

You *are* the frau, R42!

by stonedreply 4302/23/2013

Red Velvet Cupcakery is awesome

by stonedreply 4402/23/2013

Cupcakes are good (once you pull most of the frosting off).

Macarons are bad (and a completely different thing than macaroons).

by stonedreply 4502/23/2013

You people don't know from bad dessert food until you've tasted a supposed dessert from any place owned by Eli Zabar.

by stonedreply 4602/23/2013

At least I understand the cupcake fad. Everyone ate cupcakes growing up and there's a sense of nostalgia to them and they're a bit of a comfort food. The macaron craze makes no sense to me. No one had heard of them until a couple of years ago and now they're everywhere. As someone else said, they're pretty, but only okay tasting, so I don't know why they're such a big deal. And generally they're $2 for a cookie the size of an Oreo. A total fucking rip-off.

by stonedreply 4702/23/2013

Macaroons have been around forever, my grandmother made them.

by stonedreply 4802/23/2013

I only know of the macaron because of Blair Waldorf.

by stonedreply 4902/23/2013

Which word did OP intend?

by stonedreply 5002/23/2013

R47, whatever happened with that bastard transferring his vermin-infested food to another location?

by stonedreply 5102/23/2013

The ones in the first pic, R51, are macarons, in pink, yellow, and green.

by stonedreply 5202/23/2013

A picture of la differance:

by stonedreply 5302/23/2013

r8 the concession at Selfridges looked a little tired when I was there last week.

It was my first visit to the store (having lived overseas for many years) and it was pretty great. I was more fascinated by the architecture!

by stonedreply 5402/23/2013

Here in DC, pupusas are all the rage.

And vegan crap.

by stonedreply 5502/23/2013

I'd love to see petit fours become a fad, too. Yum!!

by stonedreply 5602/23/2013

A couple of years back I remember reading that pie was going to take over the niche that cupcakes were slipping out of, especially artisinal/organic/local/sustainable (blah blah blah) pie cooked by bearded trust-fund brats in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I don't think it really happened, although around that time bacon and fried chicken suddenly became chic within that same crowd. Now, it's beer.

by stonedreply 5702/23/2013

Vegan crap is popular everywhere, R56. I went to a BBQ place (hipster style) and half of the sides had the magic (V) next to their names.

by stonedreply 5802/23/2013

The people who do the most prattling on/bitchfighting about these kinds of fad places are people who don't actually eat any of what they buy from there.

by stonedreply 5902/23/2013

I wish various forms of empanadas/pierogies/piroshki would become street cart food. There are so many cultures that have small, closed pies like empanadas -- meat, vegetable, fruit, cheese -- you could get a wide variety of food out of small closed pies. Use phyllo dough, too.

by stonedreply 6002/23/2013

You mean like Hot Pockets, R61?

by stonedreply 6102/23/2013

Give me a moon pie & an RC Cola any day!

Mock them if you like, but they are delicious!!

by stonedreply 6202/23/2013

I mean like dumplings, empanadas, spanakopita, pierogies, piroshki, kreatopita, samosa, etc. I do not believe "Hot Pockets" use sauerkraut, spinach, pork, eggs, pumpkin, farmers cheese, spiced potato, spiced peas, apples, cherries, honey, nuts, cabbage, etc that all of these versions of closed pies use.

You could have a whole city block of food carts selling small closed pies from various cultures all over the world. Sweet, sour, savory, spicy, pickled -- and they're all just small pies. Nothing fancy or as fancy as you like.

by stonedreply 6302/23/2013

Those fried pocket pies sound like grease bombs to me.

by stonedreply 6402/23/2013

Donut Planet in New York is the worst. Their stuff would give a non-diabetic a sugar seizure.

by stonedreply 6502/23/2013

Cupcake shops are still a fad outside of little flyover hamlets where fraus want to start a little business to get out of the house?

by stonedreply 6602/23/2013

How will they get enough contestants or Cupcake Wars if thefts is over?

"My name is Sandra, and I'm doing Cupcake Wars today to prove to myself that I am the best. I also want to do this for my mother, who is currently undergoing chemotherapy and radiation for Stage 4 ovarian cancer. (Tearing up) Mom, I love you! You taught me everything I know and someday, I hope to be a success at something. I hope that something is my shop in Bumfucke. I'm famous for my combination peach brandy mojito margarita bacon and jalapeño pepper cupcake! Thank you, judges."

by stonedreply 6702/23/2013

What I've made for you today judges, is a peach cobbler cupcake with mocha almond maple ricotta filling, topped with blueberry marscapone, drizzled with a chocolate ganache and decorated with a musical note made out of caramelized onions and crystalized raspberry lemonade.

by stonedreply 6802/23/2013

[quote] macaroons are those coconut confections. Marcarons are the French "cookie".

R26 - Macaroons are both of the things above.

by stonedreply 6902/23/2013

No, R70. They're not the same.

by stonedreply 7002/23/2013

I hate cupcakes.

I think the next big thing will be cannelles.

Weird, I just saw an article today about the french macaron fad. I don't think I've even tried one before - I always thought they had artificial food coloring, which I try to avoid.

by stonedreply 7102/23/2013

"I can't believe I cam all the way from Pittsburgh for a rat cake!"

by stonedreply 7202/23/2013

I hate meringue

by stonedreply 7302/23/2013

The sad thing about food fads is that most able-bodied people could learn to make and create these things for themselves, with practice, and without copying a cooking video. I think many respected or popular food establishments are given way too much credit (meaning, to the point of fad).

by stonedreply 7402/23/2013

R75. Not sure what a cooking video has to do with anything, but re: cake, sometimes it's just easier to buy it instead of make it.

Also, we in the flyover states have been stuck with being able to buy nothing but fake supermarket chemicake for decades. I love the fact that I am now able to *buy* a cake that's made of cake (or other) flour, sugar, butter, eggs, etc., instead of firing up the KitchenAid.

This cupcake fad led to the opening of lots of more complete bakeries where I live, and I will not soon forget that.

Eat a cupcake, cupcake.

by stonedreply 7502/23/2013

r54, is this your guy?

by stonedreply 7602/23/2013

People want ONE cupcake. They know how to make cupcakes. They don't want to make 12 or 24 cupcakes. They just want ONE. So they buy one cupcake from a store.

Same with donuts. Same with a slice of cake or pie. They know perfectly well how to make a cake or a pie -- they just want a slice, not the whole thing

How is that so difficult for people to understand? I don't want to make an entire cake or pie or dozen cupcakes.

by stonedreply 7702/23/2013

I know it's easier to buy, R76. What I'm saying is that people can get crazy over someone else's food as if it's the Second Coming of Christ, when sometimes just it's either a matter of cooking practice or acquisition of quality ingredients.

by stonedreply 7802/23/2013

R79, you were R75. I was R76.

What do _you_ think is the Second Coming? Surely something gets _you_ going the way you accuse other people of getting excited about food.

by stonedreply 7902/23/2013

I keep waiting for this blogger to make toenail clipping cupcakes with smegma frosting.

by stonedreply 8002/23/2013

I know you were R76, R76. Excuse my siggy faux pas. I'm not accusing you of anything; that's just the way I talk. And no, I guess I'm not a very impressed person. I just think food fads get way out of hand and pretentious, especially among the groups in bigger cities who tend not to even eat it--they're just in it because it's the thing to do.

by stonedreply 8102/23/2013

*R75/R75

by stonedreply 8202/23/2013

I'd love to be able to get pelmeni (Russian dumplings) and Persian tadig, which is often called Persian crack because it's so irresistible.

Also, Persian sangak bread, which is the most delicious bread on earth.

by stonedreply 8302/23/2013

Isn't petite fours just little cakes? And do you have to buy 4 at a time? What if you just want won?

by stonedreply 8402/23/2013

Food is the new tech. If you want o make money, start a food business.

Now we are seeing artesanal vinegar shops. Pumpkin spice balsamic vinegar.Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar. Lavender vinegar.

by stonedreply 8502/23/2013

Goat dairy farms. Goat milk. Goat cheese. Goat yogurt. Goat milk moisturizing products containing 50 nutrients. Goat milk soap. Goat milk fudge.

by stonedreply 8602/23/2013

Oooh. We should start human woman dairy farms, yeah? Sadly, that makes more biological sense, since we're the only mammal who habitually drinks the milk of another.

by stonedreply 8702/23/2013

Growlers. Growlers. Growlers. Growlers. Growlers. We will only sanitize and re-fill our own, though.

by stonedreply 8802/23/2013

I was talking about Macarons. That's why I said French Macarons, r12, you plebeian nitwit. The meringue cookies, not the coconut things.

I can't believe some people could possible find them not tasty. They're all over Paris and are quite pretty in the windows of bakeries. When made right they melt in your mouth and are very light.

They're much harder to make than cupcakes, which is probably why the cupcake fad caught on. And in my city they're still opening frauish little cupcake crapcake shops. Boring.

by stonedreply 8902/23/2013

Wonder how the goats feel about that, r87?

by stonedreply 9002/23/2013

R90 I have had exactly one macaron in my life, dyed Easter yellow, supposedly from a *fabulous* French bakery. I didn't like it. Not the flavor. Not the texture. I would have to be really, truly hungry to eat another one.

by stonedreply 9102/23/2013

I hate like the cocnut ones but not the other types of macaroons.

by stonedreply 9202/23/2013

I think chocolate starfishes will be the next big thing.

by stonedreply 9302/23/2013

I can hear every last one of you hissing and swishing.

by stonedreply 9402/23/2013

R87=Beekman wannabe

by stonedreply 9502/23/2013

I don't like meringue (as in lemon meringue pie). Not a fan of coconut macaroons either.

I believe the "four" in petit four is from the French for "oven"? You sound like quite the yobbo, R85.

by stonedreply 9602/23/2013

If petite fours are just little cakes, how is it different from a cupcake which is also just a little cake?

by stonedreply 9702/23/2013

Victim cultures are puerile so since they've elbowed their way to the front, you have all these silly food fads that are taken very very seriously.

by stonedreply 9802/23/2013

R99 "Victim cultures"?

by stonedreply 9902/23/2013

So the donut thing hasn't caught on anywhere else, eh?

by stonedreply 10002/23/2013

I thought Portland had weird donuts, too.

by stonedreply 10102/23/2013

Indeed it has, Torontonian.

by stonedreply 10202/23/2013

And here...

by stonedreply 10302/23/2013

Donuts, in the form of Krispy Kreme, were big for a little while in 2002, and then they went away. Dunkin Donuts opened a lot of stores here, including the first kosher DD, about five years ago.

The only independent donutterie here is owned by a gayhater. I'm not even going to publicize their name.

by stonedreply 10402/23/2013

"Victim cultures are puerile so since they've elbowed their way to the front, you have all these silly food fads that are taken very very seriously."

"[R99] 'Victim cultures'?"

R100, I think R99 is referring to a rape-test kit.

by stonedreply 10502/23/2013

Rape kits and cupcakes? Who knew.

by stonedreply 10602/23/2013

It's alright, R99. I know what you mean.

by stonedreply 10702/23/2013

"Rape-kits and Cupcakes" sounds like the title of 70's era Elton John song.

by stonedreply 10802/23/2013

Hey, thanks R103/104! I was starting to think the fancy schmancy donut was a silly Canadian fad, but evidently some unoriginal Canadians just stole the idea from our American friends.

by stonedreply 10902/23/2013

Well, rape kits should come with cupcakes. I mean, you'd need something a little soothing if you're going through hell.

by stonedreply 11002/23/2013

My Mom used to make cupcakes with a denser type of frosting that was much flatter on top than the mountains of frosting you get on cupcakes now. The frosting was either chocolate or vanilla and you could slowly peel it off and eat it on its own.

by stonedreply 11102/23/2013

Donuts are so addictive that people gave them up. All but one of the donut shops in our town, closed.

by stonedreply 11202/23/2013

I hate petite fours. I hate jelly and bad chocolate icing.

The best cookies I ever tasted are linzer tart cookies made by my mom's 90 year old former boss from Germany. She still gets the ingredients shipped from Germany every year around Thanksgiving and starts baking for Christmas. The cookies are made from really tasty flour that has a sort of nutty flavor. They're not very sweet, which I like. But I won't eat the jelly. Thankfully, she only puts a little jelly in the middle. The rest of the cookie is blissfully jelly-free.

So nice to eat a tasty, dense cookie that doesn't consist of nothing but sugar and air.

by stonedreply 11302/23/2013

I thought a petit four was more like a bonbon from a Whitman's Sampler box than a cupcake?

by stonedreply 11402/23/2013

[quote]Well, rape kits should come with cupcakes. I mean, you'd need something a little soothing if you're going through hell.

Beautiful.

by stonedreply 11502/23/2013

"The cookies are made from really tasty flour that has a sort of nutty flavor."

Almond flour most likely. More common in Europe but easily available in the U.S. (I think Trader Joe's carries it).

by stonedreply 11602/23/2013

Fatty Patty LOVES cupcakes. She loves them.

by stonedreply 11704/23/2014

There was an attempt to make cupcakes a "thing" over here, but nobody was particularly interested, so it failed (as do most pretentious fads over here). Macarons have no hope of a look in.

by stonedreply 11804/23/2014

r56 You mean cube cakepops, with no stick?

by stonedreply 11904/24/2014

[quote]My Mom used to make cupcakes with a denser type of frosting that was much flatter on top than the mountains of frosting you get on cupcakes now. The frosting was either chocolate or vanilla and you could slowly peel it off and eat it on its own.

You mean your mom made Hostess cupcakes?

by stonedreply 12004/24/2014

Ready for a mimi pie craze

by stonedreply 12104/27/2015

I'm surprised there's still a bunch after the recession. Paying $6 for a cupcake is ridiculous even when you're not unemployed or poor. When people started losing their jobs and cutting back, these kinds of places were the first things cut.

by stonedreply 12204/27/2015

r122, that's the reason I didn't invest in Starbucks 20 years ago. I figured when a recession hit people would quit buying expensive coffee drinks.

I only invest in mutual funds now.

by stonedreply 12304/27/2015

And we can all SEE YOU, R94, clutching your pearls.

by stonedreply 12404/27/2015

Fuck cupcakes. Give me a nice slice of frosted layer cake instead - any day.

by stonedreply 12504/27/2015
Need more help? Click Here.