Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Favorite Scents/Smells from your childhood that you still love.

Vicks Vaporub. They've switched from a petroleum base to a lotion. Same scent, but not greasy.

Noxema cream. Love the scent.

Original Jergen's Lotion. That cherry almond scent always reminds me of my mom.

Back in the early 70s, Yardley quit making my grandmother's fave cologne, Yardley's April Violets. Years after her death, I found a bottle of it at a flea market. A few weeks later we had our family Thanksgiving dinner. I brought the side dish I was asked to bring, and I had a Ziploc bag with a tissue scented with the April Violets. As each of her daughters and grand daughters smelled the bag, their look of recognition was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 15402/23/2013

OMG! Yardleys is making it again.

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2013

I'll second the Noxema cream, and add Love's Fresh Lemon Cologne. It reminds me of being young.

Old Spice reminds me of my dad; Emeraude reminds me of my mom.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2013

Crayons...

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2013

Honeysuckle.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2013

The smell of the original White Rain shampoo in the 60s and early 70s, before they reformulated it.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2013

Lawncare and freshly mowed grass. It reminds me of the front and back yard at home.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2013

My grandmother always used a lilac scent. I'm not sure who made it, but I can't smell lilacs without remembering her.

An aunt always used Jergens so that scent has always reminded me of her.

Our neighbor used Yardley's English Lavender.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2013

Two particular scents from summer (still around, but still):

Sea and Ski suntan lotion

Any type of barbeque (especially hamburgers)

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013

My mother always put oil of wintergreen in her wash water, the house always smelled of that. At Christmas time she made anise and horehound candy. Constant Comment tea. Never thought about this but I guess I lived in a house of many smells. Mom had to have mock orange bushes at all the windows, she would open the windows when they bloomed. Lilacs everywhere, honey suckle........Wow

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

Angostura bitters reminds me of my late Uncle Herbie, who was a fun guy.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

Lectric Shave Lemon and Lime From my Dad

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

The original Summer's Eve.

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2013

Jergen's Cherry Almond smelled SO GOOD and was unusual then (and now?)

I liked and even now still like original Old Spice if it's lightly applied to someone. Nostalgic and reminds me of handsome men.

I also remember the smell of a freshly opened Hostess Ho-Ho (before they became bland, plastic turds.)

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2013

Vitabath green and.a discontinued.Estee LAuder shampoo. Spring in Wisconsin and White Shoulders

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2013

Cherry Chapstick

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013

Jade East. A great after shave cologne.

Breck Shampoo. Nothing else like it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2013

Tempera paint that the teachers used to mix

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013

The original Lemon Pledge. Reminds me of childhood, coming home from school to find the house freshly dusted and dinner cooking on the stove. Complete and utter comfort and security.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2013

Samsara, reminds me of my Grandmother. Joop Berlin, reminds me of a great time in my life.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2013

Chapstick always reminds me of my first Xmas in New York, from London.

I had a cold so we went to an old fashioned Drug Store with a soda fountain!! on 6th Ave to buy it and the smell always reminds me of my first 'thrilling' snowy night in America.

Not a very great childhood, but it had its moments.

I don't know if they make it any more.

I moved on to Blisteze years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2013

Emerald green Clairol Herbal Essence Shampoo. The smell was so good! They discontinued it for for some reason. Nothing that brand has come up with even comes close to it. Vermont County Store had a version of it called Country Essence Shampoo; that's been discontinued, too. I think a lot of people would love to see the original CHES back on the market.

I remember the smell of Avon soaps that came in the shapes of kid-oriented characters like Charlie Brown. A nice, sweet, clean smell.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2013

A madeleine.

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2013

[quote]Vicks Vaporub. They've switched from a petroleum base to a lotion. Same scent, but not greasy.

I had a cold recently, so I bought some for the comforting memories and it didn't smell as strong and nice as it used to.

[quote]Noxema cream. Love the scent.

I rather hate the smell. Smells like an old people's home to me. My BF used to use mine, so I hid it.

by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2013

Carbon paper

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2013

R14, will I be shunned these days if I wear White Shoulders? It's still my favorite perfume but I wonder if it's old ladyish.

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2013

Mimeograph machines

Burning leaves in the fall

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2013

Ditto fluid

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2013

Bay Rum and Dunhill aftershave from my Dad.

Estee Lauder Aliage and Miss Dior fragrance from my Mom.

Also a sound. My mother was a mad ironer. In the olden days before irons had steam, she would sprinkle the clothes to iron and put them in a plastic bag and store them in the fridge to iron them the next day. She had a 7-up bottle with a sprinkle top which I have and still use. I just feel good hearing that sprinkle sprinkle sound.

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2013

Ditto on the original green Herbal Essence shampoo, in the bottle with the flower decal and drawing of the blonde gal. That stuff smelled fabulous, I can still remember the scent exactly, and I don't know why they quit making it because it was quite a popular shampoo back then. I agree that the current Herbal Essence line doesn't even come close to the original. I wish they would bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2013

R25, I do not think it would make you smell like a grandma. Neither Chanel #5 nor Joy by Jean Patou have ever gone out of vogue, why should White Shoulders?

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2013

My gramma used to use a soap called "Maja" it had a Spanish Flamingo Dancer on the front, red with a black wrapper. Found two of them when cleaning her house after she passed, still have them. My mother loved "Jovan Musk Oil", so that reminds me of her. I love Skin So Soft bath oil, smells amazing for a long time on skin. My fragrance is "Amazing" by Sephora. Clean and light!

by Anonymousreply 3102/22/2013

Baby powder, duh

by Anonymousreply 3202/22/2013

Eau sauvage Chrstian Dior!

First time in Provincetown .

Vetyver Guerlain!

Boston 1978,would buy this at The Ritz Carlton apothecary .

Devin!

by Anonymousreply 3302/22/2013

Dead skunk in the road

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2013

Old Spice and Bengay - my dad English Leather - my prom date

I still have some very old perfumes. I think they smell okay in the bottle but would they smell okay on or do you think have they chemically broken down or altered in some way?

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2013

Outrageous shampoo by Revlon. God, I loved that smell.

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2013

yardley Bond street

herbal essence shampoo from the 70s

love's lemon scent

play doh

jean nate (reminds me of my mom - I used to put it on my mosquito bites)

by Anonymousreply 3702/22/2013

My mother used to wear Tigress cologne. I doubt they make it anymore. The bottle cap had a band of plush faux tiger fur around it.

by Anonymousreply 3802/22/2013

My mother's Windsong stays on my mind.

And Dad's bleachy semen, too.

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2013

I like Ivory soap and Channel No. 22 because my mom used to always wear it

by Anonymousreply 4002/22/2013

OP, the petroleum is widely available where I live.

by Anonymousreply 4102/22/2013

White Shoulders! My mother wore that, a lovely fragrance.

Gardenias - my grandmother had gardenias blooming at her house, really wonderful. Saw a too-expensive candle the other day w/that same smell, very pure and sweet. Yes, I bought it.

by Anonymousreply 4202/22/2013

coal fireplaces.

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2013

Jean Naté

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

R9, I'll bet your mother read Kathleen Norris novels -- she sounds lovely.

R20, ChapStick is still around & I use it daily.

R26 must be as old as I am.

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2013

Grandpa's pee stained pants.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2013

Maja soap is still available. Try Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2013

The faint smell of fireplace smoke on a cold, cloudy winter's day Pipe tobacco in a pouch Diesel exhaust -my father drove a Mercedes Benz 240D

by Anonymousreply 4902/22/2013

Why did pipe's smell so nice and cigarettes so horrid?

I'll add good cigars to my list.

Cold, wet clay.

Soap on a rope.

The smell of the interior of a new car.

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2013

[quote]Why did pipe's smell so nice

Oops, don't tell the grammar trolls.

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2013

Wella Balsam conditioner.

by Anonymousreply 5202/22/2013

Ok, this is going to sound weird. My Dad used to smoke, Marlboro Reds to be precise. When I was a kid, he would let me open a new pack for him (I know, totally fucked up parenting, but dad was a punk rocker, so his idea of being a parent was out there). Anyway, the smell of a freshly opened pack of Marlboros is something I always loved. A woodsy, spicey smell you can't find anywhere else. Fast forward many years I had a roomie who smoked Marlboros. Whenever he opened a new pack, I would give it a deep huff.

Thankfully, my dad gave up smoking years ago and I never took up the habit. When I recently told my dad my fondness for a fresh pack of reds, he sort of chuckled and told me I'm (in a joking way) a twisted character. This coming from the man who taught me to sing "Hey, Bondage Up Yours" when I was four.

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2013

Cinammon

by Anonymousreply 5402/22/2013

Late 70s-early 80s... my favorite boyfriend wore Paco Rabanne, and I wore Yves St Laurent's Rive Gauche. So lovely.

the smell of Guerlain Shalimar on my mother's wrist.

by Anonymousreply 5502/22/2013

Pino Silvestre.

by Anonymousreply 5602/22/2013

R43~ No, the soap was a creamy off white, just the wrapper was black. They also have body powder w/ a puff. Just look under name, it is still around! My Gramma was from La Jolla, she was very eccentric,& she was amazing!

by Anonymousreply 5702/22/2013

Love's Baby Soft

Pert Plus shampoo

by Anonymousreply 5802/22/2013

A freshly-opened can of Play-Doh.

by Anonymousreply 5902/23/2013

White craft paste

by Anonymousreply 6002/23/2013

resinol

by Anonymousreply 6102/23/2013

R9, your Mom sounds awesome! What great memories.

by Anonymousreply 6202/23/2013

This is a fantastic topic, OP!

Face powder and lipstick blots on Kleenex or cotton hankies at the bottom of my mother's dressy purses.

Juicy Fruit gum.

My mom's perfumes:

Straw Hat

Emeraude

Midnight in Paris

Chantilly by Houbigant

My fave of mother's many fragrances was the original L'Origan. God, that amazing spice!

THE sign of impending Springtime in Louisiana, plum blossoms.

Not so great: toothpaste spit and urine. At night, my Dad always brushed his teeth, spat in the toilet, then pissed. He didn't flush, didn't shut the door, so the smell would waft through the house. As soon as his bedroom door shut, we kids rushed to flush and shut the door. Oddly enough, dad was a germophobe of Hughesian proportions, and was beyond fastidious otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 6302/23/2013

Maja's bottom note smelled like shit. My mother always had a bottle of espresso brown Youth Dew bath oil. If I catch of whiff of Canoe today I still see my father.

by Anonymousreply 6402/23/2013

Windsong stays on your mind.

by Anonymousreply 6502/23/2013

Banana bread. My mother still has the best recipe ever.

by Anonymousreply 6602/23/2013

1 Gee your hair smells terific shampoo

2 Farrah Fawcett Shampoo and conditioner

More amazing hair scents of the 1970's

by Anonymousreply 6702/23/2013

Prell shampoo

Johnsons & Johnons Baby everything - powder, shampoo

by Anonymousreply 6802/23/2013

Coppertone suntan lotion...brings back memories of when I was 4, earliest memories of being at the beach.

Opium fragrance....first sexual gf wore it. Late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2013

Blue Carnation perfume by Roger et Gallet.

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2013

The original Ivory dishwashing liquid. It smelled so clean. Then they polluted it with a godawful perfume smell. They lost three generations of Ivory users in my family.

by Anonymousreply 7102/23/2013

*Crayola crayons

*Halsa shampoo (anybody else remember this? I think this was the first shampoo line to come out with different shampoos for each hair color: walnut leaves for brunettes, henna for redheads, marigold for blondes...)

*Freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies

*My mom's perfumes:

-Love's Fresh Lemon -Windsong -Chanel #5

(which of these things is not like the other...?)

by Anonymousreply 7202/23/2013

r72 Halsa hair, uncover your highlights, Halsa hair, discover your glow..Halsa hair..

by Anonymousreply 7302/23/2013

Man Ass

by Anonymousreply 7402/23/2013

The smell of napalm in the morning

by Anonymousreply 7502/23/2013

Fresh paint The inside of a can of new tennis balls Plastic mats

by Anonymousreply 7602/23/2013

Ma's fresh baked bread, right out of the oven. She would then coat the loaves with butter using waxed paper as a 'brush.'

Ma canned tomatoes and the aroma of them stewing in a big kettle permeated the house for a day. I got to ladle them into Mason jars.

She died in '89, but I still smell those aromas from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 7702/23/2013

The smell of cum. At 12 Mike Allen and I would get naked and lay on top of each other. Frottage, grinding our dicks against each others bellies. We would both cum, our bodies sloppy wet and smelling like sex. At that age there is lots of cum. It all ended when we did our thing at his house. His room was right by the carport. We had privacy in his room but his mother was gone that day. The venetian blinds were open but you could not see into the room from the outside. UNLESS, the lights were on inside the room and it was dark outside. We came together and fell asleep. The room light was on. His mother came home and it was getting dark. We jumped up as she drove into the yard. She saw us naked together. I left in shame of course. Mike called to say that his mother was going to call my mother. What dread that was. His mother never did call and that was the end of it all. That sex smell.......mmmmm

by Anonymousreply 7802/23/2013

[quote]My gramma used to use a soap called "Maja" it had a Spanish Flamingo Dancer on the front, red with a black wrapper.

It must be only the Spanish flamingoes that dance -- I've never seen the ones in Florida do it.

by Anonymousreply 7902/23/2013

Momma's hoo hoo

by Anonymousreply 8002/23/2013

This thread reminds me of the scene in PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED when Kathleen Turner goes to her parents' home for the first time during her journey back in time. After a brief chat with her mother (played by Barbara Harris), Peggy Sue is about to go up to her bedroom when she stops, says, "Oh, mom!", and hugs her mother. She then adds, "Chanel No 5, that always reminds me of home".

The other posts in this thread, like that scene in the movie, make me misty-eyed. Yeah, yeah, I know. Mary!

by Anonymousreply 8102/23/2013

Second hand smoke from my parent's menthol cigarettes

by Anonymousreply 8202/23/2013

My best friend in early high school always drowned herself in a cologne called "Ciara". I drowned myself in an oldie called "Jontue". I don't think they're produced anymore, but a few years ago a caught a whiff of Ciara at a discount store and was immediately transported to 1974.

Also, the smell of sauteeing onions and celery always reminds me of my Mama cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

by Anonymousreply 8302/23/2013

Coppertone suntan lotion.

And, as weird as it sounds - horses or a barn smell. I grew up on a farm and to me, nothing smells better than a barn full of fresh hay, saddle soap, leather and horses.

by Anonymousreply 8402/23/2013

Enjoli

by Anonymousreply 8502/23/2013

Yeah, mine is weird too -- mothballs. It reminds me of the vacation cottage we used to go to every summer when I was a kid. There were always mothballs in the bedroom closets and drawers. But great memories of our times there.

by Anonymousreply 8602/23/2013

Breast Milk

by Anonymousreply 8702/23/2013

Mom: Charlie (perfume)

Dad: English Leather (cologne) and Cookie Jar pipe tobacco

Wet leaves/tree bark

by Anonymousreply 8802/23/2013

I can't believe no one has mentioned Play-Dough! (unless I missed it) I used to love huffing that scent out of the containers!

Also, sadly, the smell of McDonald's. I would insist only on going there for the Happy Meals when they had a toy I wanted (which, thank god, was very seldom). I think I still have a couple of the toys floating around here somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 8902/23/2013

Ivory soap and Avon lipsticks for my grandmother.

Lilac bushes for my other grandmother.

Estee Lauder Private Collection was my mother's scent and I sometimes stop by the counter to have a whiff.

My sister once spilled an entire bottle of Youth Dew in her closet and it smelled for years.

The ultimate is MacIntosh apples. My grandmother kept a basket of them at the top of the cellar stairs and she always made an apple pie when we came to visit. She could peel an apple without breaking the ribbon. She was the only person in my life who I associate with pure love and I'll always buy one MacIntosh at the start of apple season just for the smell.

by Anonymousreply 9002/23/2013

The first snowfall of a season.

by Anonymousreply 9102/23/2013

Ciara, Love's Baby Soft, and White Shoulders always take me back to the late '70s.

Giorgio WAS the '80s, in my experience. There were a ton of other obnoxious, heavy scents, but Giorgio was on everyone's vanity.

I remember loving the drugstore fragrance Sand and Sable, but can't remember what it smelled like at all. I bet the memories would all come whooshing back if I could get a whiff of it now.

All of us who've survived the '80s will probably develop respiratory diseases in our perfume-scarred lungs.

by Anonymousreply 9202/23/2013

Our Schwinn Bicycle dealer's shop. It was tiny with bikes everywhere, even hanging in rows from the ceiling, and it had a wonderful rubber smell from all the new bicycle tires.

The popcorn smell at the old movie theater downtown where the concession stand was in the lobby, and the big old popper was upfront where you had to walk past it to get into the theater.

In the summer everyone would bag their grass clippings and put them in the alley for the garbageman (why didn't we mulch back then?), and you would walk down the alley and the smell of fresh cut grass would be overpowering.

And on a related note, I miss the smell of burning leaves in the Fall.

by Anonymousreply 9302/23/2013

The chlorine smell the indoor pool at the YMCA gave off.

The Pine-Sol smell the grade school would have after the janitors did their heavy cleaning over the summer and after Christmas vacation.

by Anonymousreply 9402/23/2013

Red Door perfume, my mother's favorite. Do they even make that anymore?

This thread has made me realize how prevalent perfume and cologne was in the 1980s. You hardly ever smell perfume or cologne on people anymore. I didn't even think of that until just now.

by Anonymousreply 9502/23/2013

Spic-n-span made everything smell so fresh. I miss that hyper-clean scent.

by Anonymousreply 9602/23/2013

Smells from the horse stables where I spent many summer months at camp.

by Anonymousreply 9702/23/2013

[quote]can't believe no one has mentioned Play-Dough! (unless I missed it) I used to love huffing that scent out of the containers!

You missed it.

& another vote for Play Do from me.

by Anonymousreply 9802/23/2013

R86- How do you get their little legs apart????

And NO ONE has mentioned 4711 yet????????

by Anonymousreply 9902/23/2013

The oiled wooden floors in the five & dime stores. Loved to hear them squeak, too.

Nice thread.

by Anonymousreply 10002/23/2013

"Red Door perfume, my mother's favorite. Do they even make that anymore?"

It's still around

by Anonymousreply 10102/23/2013

White Rain hairspray & Lark cigarette smoke.

Oh, Mama! :-)

by Anonymousreply 10202/23/2013

[quote] will I be shunned these days if I wear White Shoulders? It's still my favorite perfume but I wonder if it's old ladyish.

Don't care if it is. It reminds me of my grandmother and our next door neighbor while growing up...they both wore it and were both the nicest ladies...

Prell shampoo has a scent that is reminiscent of White Shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 10302/23/2013

This is probably going to sound really strange, but cigarette smoke. Not heavy smoke, just a whiff of it. My mom and grandmother were smokers back in the day (they both eventually quit, mom's still alive, grandma died from old age) and when I remember that smell it brings back a lot of memories. I swear cigarette smoke smelled different back in the 70s and 80s; it wasn't a really heavy acrid smell like it is now. I think modern cigarettes have a lot of chemicals in them that weren't used back then.

And no, we were not trashy at all. EVERYBODY smoked indoors in those days; going outside for a cigarette was not even thought about, never mind done.

by Anonymousreply 10402/23/2013

Magnolias in June. Our Atlanta home was surrounded by fabulous magnolias. When they bloomed in June, it was heavenly just to step outside.

by Anonymousreply 10502/23/2013

marijuana smoke.

by Anonymousreply 10602/23/2013

The smell of our neighbors' sweet olive shrub wafting over their patio's brick wall was always nice growing up. Every September, as I recall.

I need to buy me a sweet olive and plant it in my backyard bed by my backdoor. That would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 10702/23/2013

I am so glad this thread took off. Some of you have reminded me of some of your scents. Several of my elementary school teachers wore White Shoulders and Chanel #5. My mom wore Tigress by Faberge, and sometimes Occur from Avon.

Another of my childhood smells: The smell of a peanut butter and banana sandwich, wrapped in wax paper. I would open that little brown bag and huff it all morning.

by Anonymousreply 10802/23/2013

French burnt peanuts (red sugar coated) at the Woolworth's candy counter.

by Anonymousreply 10902/23/2013

My mother's face powder. I believe it was by Cover Girl and it contained noxima. I wore Muget des Bois when I was a kid. I loved that scent. I still love the scent of lilies of the valley.

by Anonymousreply 11002/23/2013

Warm bread

Orange blossoms

Freshly cut grass

by Anonymousreply 11102/23/2013

When my parents would show slides at night there was a unique smell that emanated from the slide projector and projector screen. I liked it but it wouldn't be something I would want to smell all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11202/23/2013

The restrooms in my grade school used to have this pink Borax powdered soap. It had kind of a strange smell-- not unpleasant, but not fragrant, either.

by Anonymousreply 11302/23/2013

incense

by Anonymousreply 11402/23/2013

Bain de Soleil Orange Gelee suncreen. The smell reminds of the annual trip during this week my family took to Sun Valley Idaho to ski. This was the mid 60s--sunshine, fresh snow, lace up ski boots, boiled wool sweaters. Absolute heaven.

by Anonymousreply 11502/23/2013

Mimeograph ink.

by Anonymousreply 11602/23/2013

My grandmother always had a bar of Colgate’s Cashmere Bouquet soap in the bathroom. I loved that smell.

My mother would use Johnson's "Jubilee" kitchen wax to clean the cabinets in the kitchen.

The old lady next door to us had a huge lilac bush. We had lily of the valley. Smelling those reminds of me spring.

by Anonymousreply 11702/23/2013

Whenever I'm at Disneyland and go into the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, the smell takes me right back to my childhood. I'm not a big fan of that ride but I will go on it anyway just for the smell.

My mom wore Ciarra perfume all the time. We used to buy it for her for birthdays. She probably hated it.

The combo smell of fresh cut grass and the far away light scent of cigarettes. Reminds me of playing softball on Saturday mornings as a wee child with the parents/grandparents sitting and watching and smoking. Circa 1978 or so.

The smell of a windy day and I'm right back in high school.

by Anonymousreply 11802/23/2013

[quote]Pirates of the Caribbean ride, the smell takes me right back to my childhood.

That ride does have a smell, doesn't it? What is that smell?

by Anonymousreply 11902/23/2013

Mold

by Anonymousreply 12002/23/2013

[quote]The smell of a peanut butter and banana sandwich, wrapped in wax paper. I would open that little brown bag and huff it all morning.

I've never had one of these & I'd like to try it. Should the bananas be extra ripe or just past green?

by Anonymousreply 12102/23/2013

Saddle soap and freshly cleaned leather tack and boots.

Clean, freshly folded, cotton shirts and sheets straight from the laundry.

In the fall, decaying and drying leaves on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 12202/23/2013

[quote]French burnt peanuts (red sugar coated) at the Woolworth's candy counter.

Woolworth's, any & every part of it.

Freshly cut grass, yes.

Barns with hay & just a little manure -- kind of spicey.

Popcorn machines in the lobbies of movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 12302/23/2013

Bacon grease. Soda bread frying in the big round skillet. Then butter melting on the soda bread, dipped in an egg.

Fried egg, fried potatoes and onion and bacon all fried in bacon grease.

by Anonymousreply 12402/23/2013

Pink Camay bar soap.

by Anonymousreply 12502/23/2013

Pink Camay is my new drag name...lol

by Anonymousreply 12602/23/2013

I liked the smell of cigarette smoke. There was always a blue haze of cigarette smoke in our living room. My father was a chain smoker. There was never a stale cigarette smell because everybody smoked everywhere. So smoke never got stale, it was always freshly burning.

The smell of cigs and scotch --- my family's "parties." We never had a party at our house; it was too tiny. But my grandparents and uncles had parties. There wasn't any food except salted peanuts. There was scotch. Kids were allowed to have ginger ale.

It never occurred to my mother's family to have a party that was kid-friendly. Parties were for drinking and telling jokes. Lots of raucous laughter. We kids would laugh because the adults were so happy. Every adult had a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. We'd put ice in our ginger ale and gesture with our glasses so we would make the same ice-clinking sound the grown ups made.

by Anonymousreply 12702/23/2013

I don't remember what brand it was, but my mother use to buy scented toilet paper. (Yes, they made that, as well as TP in various pastel colors so your bathroom could be all matchy-matchy.)

by Anonymousreply 12802/23/2013

Freshly mown grass. Love's Baby Soft. Gasoline.

by Anonymousreply 12902/23/2013

A lot of products like Love's Baby Soft, Clairol Herbal Essence, etc, cannot be made anymore because some of the ingredients have been banned. They were found to be carcinogenic or otherwise harmful to the environment.

by Anonymousreply 13002/23/2013

Thanks, R112. I'm going to pull out the slide projector and screen the next time I visit the house. I may just set the whole thing up and send a few slides through. Hope the bulb still works.

Coty face powder, in the yellow and white flowered round box. It's still available.

Spic and Span can not be beat for that clean smell.

Play-Do

Crayons

Freshly sharpened pencil

Anyone remember the sweet smell of a record album when you removed the plastic wrap?

The woody-musty smell of the one clothing store in town, now long gone. I smelled it again recently and immediately emailed my sister.

by Anonymousreply 13102/23/2013

Yup, R130. Same reason so many classic fragrances (Miss Dior, Mitsouko, almost all Balmain and Caron perfumes, to name a tiny few) smell nothing like they used to. Use of Oakmoss (prime basenote in my beloved chypre fragrances) has been banned in Europe. Civet musk and ambergris are very rarely used, for obvious reasons; as are many of the fragrant woods, now unfortunately too rare/ nonsustainable to warrant use.

Also, the rise of modern chemistry has meant many older, natural perfumery ingredients have been replaced with chemically identical, artificially created scent substances. But one can tell the difference, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 13202/23/2013

As far as perfumes and colognes go, Shalimar, Chanel No. 5, and Eau Sauvage.

All my other favorite smells are food-related.

by Anonymousreply 13302/23/2013

Citronella candles. Reminds me of summer night sleep-outs.

by Anonymousreply 13402/23/2013

Shell No-Pest Strips

by Anonymousreply 13502/23/2013

R135 I loved the house the commercial was shot in, but I never bought the product.

by Anonymousreply 13602/23/2013

Faberge made two other classic colognes in addition to Tigress: Woodhue, which had a wooden top, and Aphrodisia, which was green. My mother wore all of them.

I have posted this on other threads, but back in 2000 when I learned that Clairol was planning to discontinue the original green Herbal Essence shampoo, after buying up every bottle I could find, I had the foresight to buy 50 bottles directly from Clairol. IMy original hoard of about 58 bottles is now somewhere in the 4os. And they are the large 15 oz bottles as well. I keep them stored in a box in my basement which has a dehumidifier (lots of books down there too) and check them periodically. Shampoo evidently keeps indefinitely, and when I open each bottle the smell is as fresh as ever. Better yet it is still a great shampoo. I have very thick hair and people always ask me how I get it so shiny. I would kill for a bottle of Woodhue. I wore that all through high school. Other popular scents at the time were Ambush and Tabu by Dana. Ambush smelled so bad that one time one of the nuns started screaming at us that we all had to wash our sweaters by the following Monday because the room stunk so bad. Good times!

by Anonymousreply 13702/23/2013

Faberge was garbage. Brut, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 13802/23/2013

I've never had one of these & I'd like to try it. Should the bananas be extra ripe or just past green?

r121, it depends on your taste. I like bananas when the dark brown dots begin to dot the peel. I also like to put mayo on the other slice of bread. Banana's flavor seems sweeter when they fully ripen.

Or you could do it Elvis style and add bacon and pan fry them in butter.

by Anonymousreply 13902/23/2013

pee

by Anonymousreply 14002/23/2013

Incense. Contrary to the topic title, I hate the smell to this day. I hate being around incense.

by Anonymousreply 14102/23/2013

R81, it might have been mentioned up thread but that moment comes when she walks through the front door and she hears her mother's voice.

The sequence doesn't matter.

To have it all back is indescribable.

I learned that when somoneone dies, especieally a parent, a piece of your sould goes with them.

Her reaction was EXACTLy that piece coming back.

by Anonymousreply 14202/23/2013

The bleachy smell of cum... I remember first smelling it in my dad's bedroom... he was a young widower with four sons under 10... back then I'm sure he had to take matters into his own hands a lot more often than he could find time to have sex with women.

by Anonymousreply 14302/23/2013

I loved the smell of leaded gasoline. Now, when you fill your car it just doesn't smell the same.

by Anonymousreply 14402/23/2013

My dad owned an 8 mm movie projector that he would use to show his home movies. It gave off an odor that smelled exactly like that of a skunk! So I have never found the smell of skunk offensive. In fact, I actually like it--though I might not if hit full blast with it.

by Anonymousreply 14502/23/2013

Chantily Powder and Spray

My mother used this right into old age

by Anonymousreply 14602/23/2013

Bayrum Aftershave.. oh daddy

by Anonymousreply 14702/23/2013

Play-Doh

Funky, yet memorably good smell.

by Anonymousreply 14802/23/2013

My grandmother's house.

My other grandmother wore Estée,by Estée Lauder ( I have a bottle.) .

My mother wears (wore) First Van Cleef & Arpels,and Shalimar.

by Anonymousreply 14902/23/2013

Hai Karate

Duck farms (grew up on LI. I don't miss the smell. I just notice its absence when I go through old duck farm areas)

My mom used to wear Cachet. It smelled so good on her. But they changed the formula and she stopped wearing it. There was a version of it in a black bottle, too.

I used to get compliments from using Calgon Morning Glory bubble bath, shower gel and spray but they changed that formula too and now it smells mostly like alcohol. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 15002/23/2013

My father refused to use aftershave. Someone bought him some one year for Christmas. It was lime green and in a clear square bottle. It smelled do good! I used it until it ran out. I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I think it had an Asian theme, but I don't think it was Jade East or Hai Karate. This was maybe 1967, 68, 69.

by Anonymousreply 15102/23/2013

Heaven Sent Perfume - it was reformulated and then supposedly returned to the original a few years ago. I still don't think it is the same.

Wella Balsam Herbal Shampoo & Conditioner

Prell Shampoo

Coppertone Suntan Lotion (original)

Baby Magic Skin Lotion

Old Spice (Grandfather wore) Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden(Grandmother wore)

A hint of Brut

Skin-So-Soft

Play Dough

Lemon Furniture Polish & Pine Sol Cleaner

Honeysuckle, magnolia, irises, cut grass, burning leaves, carnival, barn, brand new book.

My grandmother's pot roast.

by Anonymousreply 15202/23/2013

Hippy oils that came in a round bottle and had black writing. Patchouli, Strawberry. Were they called Earth Scents?

by Anonymousreply 15302/23/2013

Mosquito coils burning in the car at the drive in while our parents told us not to look at the boobies in Black Momma White Momma.

by Anonymousreply 15402/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.