Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Land Of The Giants (1968-70)

If we're going to talk about Lost In Space, maybe we could also talk about this less high profile, somewhat creepy, gem from the late '60s.

Some of the guys were V. handsome. I liked when the captain (in the red outfit with the very tight pants) got frazzled with the annoying fat guy with the Hungarian? accent.

At the same time, I found the show alarming and creepy.

I used to sometimes wonder what I'd do with them if I found them in my house (the little people, that is)...horrid things.

I'd also sometimes identify with the little people and that was frightening.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2015

Don't forget to start threads on "Time Tunnel" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" as well, OP.

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2013

I thought Gary Conway was hot, and I was a 14 year old lesbian. I despise this thing where young girls like androgynous non-threatening teannie bopper idols.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2013

[quote] I liked when the captain (in the red outfit with the very tight pants) got frazzled with the annoying fat guy with the Hungarian? accent.

The fat guy with the accent was Kurt Kasznar

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2013

Just for you, OP! Beefcake photo of Gary Conway from the 50's. Hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2013

Does anyone EVER take their clothes off in an Irwin Allen tv show? His productions seems so devoid of any exploitation of the male beauty that he hired, or even female for that matter. In fact there were no women at all in the last two seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Irwin Allen said that women cost too much time with hair and makeup. From what I've read though, it was the dad from Lost in Space who was the real diva of Irwin Allen productions, insisting on certain lighting, flattering camera angles, etc since he was seldom given anything more to do. He gave up show business completely after the hell of Lost in Space.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2013

Thanks for the link/pic R4.

I'm actually familiar with that pic as I'm something of a 70s Playgirl troll (I'm not the only one round here, not by a long shot). Point is, I never realized it was him! Never made the connection. He looks so different. Considering he's naked it's strangely unerotic.

The other male lead, Don Matheson, was also very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2013

i would capture the two hot guys and force them to have sex

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2013

Yeah, hair really evolved from the late '60s into the '70s. A lot of the stars that went nude were unrecognizable because they no longer had their perfectly coiffed tv hairdos.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013

[quote]i would capture the two hot guys and force them to have sex

LOL. That's sort of what I meant by horrid things too, but I don't think I was totally gay yet in 1969/70. I think I used to think I'd force the girls to lift up their mini skirts...stuff like that. Keep them in a little box and ignore them when they squeaked.

I wanted to torture the captain...early sadomasochistic feelings maybe. The captain did look kind of smarmy. Get him to wipe that grin off his face.

Funnily enough, I met one of the lead girls in the '80s. Nothing very interesting to say about it. She was sort of proud of having been on the show.

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

I hated this show. My bully older sister used to say "let's play LAND OF THE GIANTS! You can be Fitzhugh!"

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

Now I can see the likeness.

This is also, a good pic.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

Older kids used to play that in my neighborhood too...I never knew it was a TV show!! The things you learn at DL!!!

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2013

OMG, Nellie Oleson's brother!

by Anonymousreply 1302/23/2013

R14 you haven't seen anything yet. Just wait til Sunday when the Oscar threads increase 10x what they are now. It will be nonstop chatter and giddiness about Meryl Streep, Patti Lupone, Betty Bradley and Anne Hathaway.It will be the perfect day to take a DL break.

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

I never saw the show, Were they tiny aliens that looked human or were the giants the aliens?

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

The "Village of the Giants" movie was much more fun!

Insane camp, if you've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2013

[quote] Betty Bradley

Betty Bradley?

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2013

Just thinking about those giant cocks still makes me moist.

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2013

Right r17,

Here's the best Scene.

Teen giants-a-go-go staring Beau Bridges in a toga.

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

Land of The Giants - the story was future earth flights would be in space so it was sort of a commercial flight - they get sucked through some sort of strange warp hole and land on a planet they assume is earth until they see everyone are giants!! Given the size difference I would say 100 feet tall. The government of the giant planet is very communist like, secret police and all. They believe the tiny aliens have come to destroy them. So they spend the whole time hiding in the woods, occasionally getting captured, trying to fix their spaceship to go back home.

by Anonymousreply 2102/23/2013

LOL, r4. How on earth could you possibly date that picture the 1950s? I must know the answer!

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2013

R8, that WAS the hair style in the '70s, plus Conway was older - that's why he looked so different.

by Anonymousreply 2302/23/2013

[quote]plus Conway was older - that's why he looked so different.

He was in Playgirl in 1973. Land Of The Giants finished in 1970.

Does his appearance in Playgirl mean his career went into a steep decline after the show?

by Anonymousreply 2402/23/2013

Let's talk some more about LOTGs.

It never really transitioned into a cult show. I guess it's because it didn't run for very long for some reason. Maybe it was a ratings flop.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.