Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Teachers play trick on Grade 8 class, parents upset.

Teachers' Disney trip prank upsets Windsor students

A group of teachers in southwestern Ontario is under criticism after fooling Grade 8 students into thinking they were heading to Disney World in Orlando, Fla., for their year-end class trip.

Teachers at Roseland Public School in Windsor prepared a PowerPoint presentation, complete with pictures and video, to lead the students to believe the trip was in the works.

A final slide revealed the students were really destined to head to a local bowling alley for their graduation celebration, apparently leaving them devastated.

One of the adults in the room videotaped the fake presentation and the student reaction. The video was then shown to other students.

Twins Max and Tira Copeland were among the students duped. Their mother, Bonnie Stewart, was one of the parents who made the incident public on Facebook.

'I felt really bad about it and I felt humiliated.'— Max Copeland, student

"At first, I was really excited about it, but when we found out it was a joke and everything, I was kind of speechless," Tira Copeland said. "I didn't know how to react at first, but then I felt really kind of depressed about it and upset."

"On Friday, I felt really bad about it and I felt humiliated and stuff, and how it was showed to the other students," Max Copeland said.

A spokesman for the Greater Essex County School Board says teachers used "poor judgment" when they led students to believe they were going on a graduation trip to Disney World.

Scott Scantlebury said the board will not discuss whether disciplinary actions were being taken.

The two staff members directly involved in the prank are still employed at Roseland, he added. 'This is bullying'

Psychologist Noreen Chevalier said she was "shocked" when she heard about the prank. P.O.V.

Was this prank by teachers funny? Bad judgment? Bullying?

"I consider this bullying. It's too elaborate. This joke was preplanned. It's not just a joke. This has gone beyond that because they see the teachers in an authoritarian way," Chevalier said. "To be humiliated as a group is shameful for them. Shame attacks your heart and your being. This is more than embarrassment. Shame is deeper than that."

The school board disagrees with Chevalier's definition of bullying.

"Would I call it bullying? I'm not sure I would call it bullying, although it was obviously poor judgment," said Warren Kennedy, the board's director of education.

The prank evolved from one teacher's suspicion that students were rifling through his desk. The teacher planted a false brochure advertising the Florida graduation trip, he said, adding that staff allowed rumours to swirl unchecked.

The presentation on the fake trip was staged several days later before the entire Grade 8 population, he added. Community backlash

The board acknowledged the story has generated considerable backlash from the community.

"We have received a number of calls from people, and not necessarily everyone who has a student at that school, and it's been fairly consistent in its condemnation of the teachers' actions," he said.

He said the school's principal and the teachers have spoken with students and parents, and apologized.

"An apology at this point isn't going to sway anyone. They need more than that," Chevalier said. "These are Grade 8 students moving into Grade 9. They already have anxiety and are going through personal, physical and cognitive changes.

"Some will get over it but those who already have issues of trust will not."

Stewart, who is to meet with the school principal Friday, said she doesn't want any teacher suspended or fired.

"I'm more looking for to make sure everyone knows the error of their ways and to not make that [mistake] in the future for other kids that they will be teaching," she said.

Kennedy said an investigation is still underway.

"We're not quite done and we will make a decision after the fact," he said of possible disciplinary actions. "I think that right now our energy is being expended on making it right."

by Anonymousreply 4602/23/2013

Oh, please. A crap prank yes, but trust issues? Bullying?

How fucking entitled must both kids and parents be to make such a claim.

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2013

Of course someone calls it bullying. Gimme a break, they were all duped so none felt or looked any dumber than any other ones. Bullying is the new bullshit buzzword of our times and it is getting ridiculous that it's used so much. It sucks yeah, shitty judgement but not bullying.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2013

[quote]"An apology at this point isn't going to sway anyone. They need more than that," Chevalier said. "These are Grade 8 students moving into Grade 9. They already have anxiety and are going through personal, physical and cognitive changes. "Some will get over it but those who already have issues of trust will not."

My Jayden's innocence was taken away from him that day!!!

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2013

Maybe it's because they're Canadian. They're like fragile little flowers compared to Americans.

Also it's really cold there and it's particularly cruel to offer them a trip to sunny Florida and then renege.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2013

At English boarding schools, children are made to sprint around sports fields at dawn and then take cold showers, without complaining. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2013

Children, this is your future:

Big promises, high expectations,

broken promises, broken dreams, disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2013

Well r6, clearly those kids are being bullied and abused and need to call me!

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013

r8, watch this documentary, it's illuminating! The British parents are so out of touch!

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

They were probably a bunch of entitled little shits the entire year.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

Those kids need to walk it off!

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

I think it's both funny and sad that the kids have no sense of humor and think for some reason they are entitled to go to Disneyworld.

hahaha suckers, you don't always get what you want. Buck up, life is full of disappointment but plenty of opportunity to make your dreams happen.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2013

This indicates that the teachers have a very odd relationship with their students.

No teacher should care enough to pull something like this on kids.

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013

And if they had done the reverse the teachers would be hailed as heroes.

(Trip advertised as Bowling is actually a trip to DisneyWorld.)

Greedy kids and stupid teachers.

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2013

It was a stupid thing to do and, yes, stuff like this can be really hurtful to kids that age. I would have been angry and upset. But, Jesus Christ on a cracker, the overreaction is nuts. Life is full of disappointments and one of the greatest skills one can learn in life is how to deal with disappointments and hurt. Putting a community and school district up in arms over a pranks sounds like the most dysfunctional way to teach kids coping. It almost makes it seem like they were entitled to the trip.

This is truly one of those "learn to suck it up" moments because if this is humiliating and devastating, just wait. If this is bullying, a workplace disagreement with consequences will be tantamount to being publicly tarred and feathered.

And this clown isn't helping:

[quote]"An apology at this point isn't going to sway anyone. They need more than that," Chevalier said. "These are Grade 8 students moving into Grade 9. They already have anxiety and are going through personal, physical and cognitive changes.

How on earth is would this school district prepare kids for the world?

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013

[quote]Bullying is the new bullshit buzzword of our times and it is getting ridiculous that it's used so much. It sucks yeah, shitty judgement but not bullying.

We can thank the gays for this one.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2013

[quote]This is truly one of those "learn to suck it up

No, this is a moment where the kids can learn to stand up against injustice and lying authority figures. That is an important lesson that the previous generations seem to not have learned in the US.

They were entitled to a)the truth and b)the teachers having their best interest at heart. They were fucked over and should not get used to rolling over and taking it at all.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2013

Yes, R19. It is important to give entitled middle class children a taste of what real "injustice" is like and teach them a sense of proportion.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2013

What are they crying about? They still have healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2013

I agree it seems a bit odd for the teachers to have gone to such lengths... suggests a weird relationship with the kids. I also think it's just a prank. It's a disservice to the kids in that school who are being bullied to call it that, and you know they're there.

It's just a bad practical joke in the main. Most practical jokes are.

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2013

Agree r22 and the bullying thing implies that they were all made to look foolish in front of others, but they all got duped so no one looked any worse than anyone else. Now when some of those kids pants that guy on stage at 8th grade graduation, then it will be an act of bullying. And honestly I can't see anyway around it except for them to take revenge.

by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2013

[quote]No, this is a moment where the kids can learn to stand up against injustice and lying authority figures

Lying? They never lied. One teacher suspected kids of snooping through his desk so he left a Disney brochure. The kids took it from there and spread the rumour that they were going/ The teachers then put some Disney World pictures in the PowerPoint before revealing that hey were going to a bowling alley.

Kids should learn

a} not to snoop

and

b) not to believe rumours

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2013

I see that the fraucunts have invaded the thread

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2013

It was stupid, mean and a waste of time. What a bunch of dorks.

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2013

My best friend teaches 8th graders. From his stories, I guarantee you that the kids somehow deserve this. I am not a kid-hater, but kids that age are just beginning to assert power/dominance, as well as awkwardness, and what my friend has to go through because of the miasma of confusion is utterly exhausting.

The theory that they were snooping around and the teachers chose to play a prank because of that snooping (after probably being told NOT to snoop 8 hundred times) seems about right.

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2013

I'm with R26.

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2013

It's to punish them from going through the teacher's desk.

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2013

If it as r27 surmises, then it's fun mean

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2013

Thanks for the spit take, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3202/22/2013

Ha ha, r30 WW for you!

by Anonymousreply 3302/22/2013

r16, any more visions from the future you'd like to share?

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2013

The whole thing was probably planned. Disney will be calling in no time. All to save the poor kiddies. So obvious and transparent.

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2013

Stupid teachers acting very childish. I bet the kids didn't learn anything all year.

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2013

Former Middle School Teacher & current NPR producer Alex Blumberg on what it was like teaching.

"I basically came away thinking you're sort of wasting your time trying to teach middle school students anything."

This poor teacher may have proven him wrong. They've learned life sometimes sucks and you don't always get what you want.

by Anonymousreply 3702/23/2013

To those that somehow think WIndsor is "middle class"... I grew up and went to school there - and most of my classmates had at least one parent who built cars for Chrysler, Ford or GM...

In Windsor, going bowling IS a major field trip... A school sending kids to DisneyWorld would be unbelievable... I think the "best" trip we ever took was to the Detroit Zoo or to watch thousands of Canada Geese landing at the Jack Miner Bird Sanctuary...

Definitely glad I escaped Windsor and now live in Southern California - most of the people I grew up with make cars for a living... Funny, haven't been back to visit in 15 years except for one funeral... thank god for higher education and a Green Card!

by Anonymousreply 3802/23/2013

r38, I have family there. There were pockets of middle class people, at least before the crash.

People could rise up in the ranks into lower management or the technical/detail work on the lines that paid well. They'd never get beyond that, but it would be a good enough living. Benefits were good, too.

Now--not so much.

By the time a story like this hits the Canadian press, who knows what really happened. The libel laws are more stringent here and the media will do anything to preserve their UMC status. I've known people involved in these "think about the children" stories and once the press has an angle, that's it. In every case, the truth was totally different that what was reported.

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2013

Agree [R22] and the bullying thing implies that they were all made to look foolish in front of others, but they all got duped so no one looked any worse than anyone else

Wrong. They were filmed and it was shown to OTHER students in order to humiliate the duped students.

I don't know what kind of real life this is supposed to prepare them for, unless you mean reality TV (which the idiot teachers are probably addicted to).

No one has the right to humiliate another person, least of all an authority figure. And no one ever did it to me.

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2013

Disneyland sucks the imagination out of children's heads. It's a horrid place- don't fall for it, kids!

by Anonymousreply 4102/23/2013

[quote]I think it's both funny and sad that the kids have no sense of humor and think for some reason they are entitled to go to Disneyworld.

They didn't think they were entitled to go to Disneyworld until the adults in charge encouraged them to believe they were.

by Anonymousreply 4202/23/2013

BTW, that's such a Brady Bunch thing to do. Reminds me of Peter's tape recorder that he would use to eavesdrop on the other kids and Marcia and Greg found it and talked into it about how Pete's grades were so good the parents were going to throw him a surprise party. Pete got all dressed up and when the parents found out they really did have a little dinner but not a huge party. At the end Peter admitted his guilt in obnoxiously recording everyone and admitted that he had been "a real little stinker!" It was a good one. Pete learned not to snoop and be nosy.

by Anonymousreply 4302/23/2013

r44 Lawsuits? Um, there will probably be some bully induced suicides from this and many a child who will turn to drugs and alcohol, possibly a budding psycho too.

by Anonymousreply 4402/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.