Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay men: Why primarily do you travel?

I'm going to Greece in the fall and one of my friends asked me if I'm going anywhere other than Mykonos. I told him I'm not going (I've gone before and want to see other islands), and his jaw fell--he told me he could not imagine why I would travel to Greece (or anywhere for that matter) for any reason other than for sex. When I travel I travel mostly for the culture and for relaxation; sex is usually more on the side for me in terms of traveling considerations.

This is a question for gay men only: when you travel, do you travel primarily for sex, or for relaxation (including sports or activities you enjoy: snorkeling, scuba, skiing, etc.), or for the culture (food, sights, etc.), or is it for really a combination of two of the above, or a combination of all three?

btw, I'm not talking about family visits or work trips--these are traveling vacations you take yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2013

Travel they say, improves the mind. An irritating platitude!

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2013

For sex? I can have sex in my hometown.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2013

And there's no cure like travel

To help you unravel

The worries of living today.

When the poor brain is cracking

There's nothing like packing

Your suitcase and sailing away.

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2013

I don't think I travel for sex, but I'm not attracted to Asians and have never been to Asia. I am very attracted to Australians and have been there five times. That can't be a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2013

Why do the wrong people travel?

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2013

Mykonos = Knickers off!

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2013

I would never travel for sex. Travel is confusing enough without worrying about sex in a foreign land, with god-knows-what diseases. And I get to travel so rarely that I want to see as much as I can in that time.

I can see a naked man anytime. But I can't see the sights of Paris, London or Madrid anytime.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2013

I would never travel specifically for sex, although I always hope I'm going to have a "holiday romance" when I'm away, especially if I'm in a place I fantasize about moving to (like London or Paris). This never happens though, because my life is not a Kate Hudson movie.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013

To escape the reality that one day I will be in the same place, forever.

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

I can have sex anytime I want at home, when I travel, I want to experience the things I can't find at home. Mykonos is okay, but it's over run with German tourists.  The last time I went to Greece we rented a car and spent two weeks driving around Crete.  Going off the beaten path, eating the same food as the natives eat, staying in small hotels and pensions. It was one hundred times more enjoyable. If I'm going to spend twelve hours on a plane, I sure as hell don't want to visit Europe's version of Wildwood.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

OP, your question is disingenuous, and your friend is trash.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

I go with the 2 and 3 option, though the relaxation doesn't apply. I don't relax. That's something to do back home. I go on hiking trails in the Alps and Andes, explore cities, archaeological sites, and vistas, attend concerts, study museum exhibits, etc. I dine in local restaurants, not tourist establishments, except for West African nations - did not eat locally.

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2013

[quote]OP, your question is disingenuous,

I disagree, given especially that several people have now voted for each of the options.

I once traveled with a friend to Rome--he only ever travels to Europe to fuck (he wants to pick up men in different countries), and he spent his days by the cruising spots by the Spanish Steps and the Tarpeian Rock while I spent the days in museums. At nights we'd eat out together and go out to bars.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2013

Got butt fucked in public in Madrid

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2013

Gave a dude head & ate his cum in the parking lot of a mercado in Mexico City

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013

Got fisted in Fukushima

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2013

[quote]he spent his days by the cruising spots by the Spanish Steps

Whoa! I was so busy looking at the Christmas exhibt at the Spanish Steps that I didn't know it was a cruisy area. Had I known, I would at least have looked.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013

Love to travel and spend hours everyday going to museums or hiking, site seeing etc. BUT at night? I am out meeting the locals for another kind of site seeing.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2013

Busted flat in Baton Rouge.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2013

Funny, I wasn't going to go to Mykonos in 1984 - it was "over" - until a Greek friend said we must.

We spent 10 days there and it remains the most wonderful place I've ever been.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2013

I travel to better understand the world.

I don't think that really falls under your "culture" theme OP.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2013

I should have added that I would probably go back only briefly because, like you OP, I'd like to see other islands, especially Naxos and Crete.

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2013

To better understand the world fits under "For culture," r21.

by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2013

As a flight attendant, travel is my job. Of course, I like to enjoy myself when I stop over in exotic locales. Whatever happens happens. Why not throw caution to the wind and do what comes naturally. You only live once!

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2013

Well, I like seeing new places, seeing the sights, the art and the architecture; the people and how others live.

But it's always nice to connect with one, two or three of the locals for sex whether it's at a nude beach or at the baths and sauna. And yes, I try to include some sexual tete-a-tete on my schedule; otherwise I fell like I'm a just a tourist missing out and looking in.

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!