Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Glaring Oscar snubs throughout the history of the Academy (re: losers or lack of nominations)

I've always found it a travesty that "(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls" was not nominated for Best Song.

Apparently, Judy Garland was originally slated to sing the theme, but of course, was later fired from the movie.

I think that Dionne Warwick's version for the film was beautiful and haunting. The song was written by Andre and Dory Previn.

"The Windmills of Your Mind" actually won for that year (1968) and it has, I admit, held up very,very well. A classic,even.

But,still. Not even a nomination?

What else?

by Helen Lawsonreply 24109/29/2013

[quote]I've always found it a travesty that "(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls" was not nominated for Best Song.

You're about to fly right out of here, aren't you?

by Helen Lawsonreply 102/22/2013

I'm hoping this is a joke, OP.

by Helen Lawsonreply 202/22/2013

Hell, "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was nominated that year for Best Song.

by Helen Lawsonreply 302/22/2013

If you say something else that's funny, R1, I'll slap you silly.

by Helen Lawsonreply 402/22/2013

No joke, R2.

by Helen Lawsonreply 502/22/2013

I WON a Golden Globe, but no Oscar nods?

by Helen Lawsonreply 602/22/2013

Tilda Swinton not being nominated for We Need To Talk About Kevin was a disgrace. And Beverly D'Angelo not being nominated for Coal Miner's Daughter.

by Helen Lawsonreply 702/22/2013

[quote] And Beverly D'Angelo not being nominated for Coal Miner's Daughter.

You have got to be *shitting* me. She wasn't nominated?!

by Helen Lawsonreply 802/22/2013

Hoop Dreams and Crumb both not being nominated for Best Documentary.

by Helen Lawsonreply 902/22/2013

"Windmills of Your Mind" is an over-rhymed mess.

by Helen Lawsonreply 1002/22/2013

Adele's "Skyfall" would have to stand on a ladder to kiss Dionne Warwick's "Theme From the Valley of the Doll's" ass.

by Helen Lawsonreply 1102/22/2013

Bill Murray for supporting actor for Rushmore.

by Helen Lawsonreply 1202/22/2013

Queen for the "Flash Gordon" soundtrack and for "Princes of the Universe" and/or "Who Wants To Live Forever" from "Highlander."

by Helen Lawsonreply 1302/22/2013

I adore Windmills Of Your Mind, I therefore couldn't give a shit about this.

On top of that, the song is in fact pretty shitty and didn't fit the film at all well.

by Helen Lawsonreply 1602/22/2013

An "Oscar Snub" thread that starts with a scream about the theme from "Valley of the Dolls" either is going to be a classic or an example of the generational divide here at the DL.

Wendy Hiller not getting the Oscar for "Pygmalion" always has fried my cookies. And Edith Evans not winning for "The Whisperers" was an outrage.

by Helen Lawsonreply 1702/22/2013

[quote]Glaring Oscar snubs throughout the history of the Academy

Mia Farrow...Rosemary's Baby. It's never made sense.

Diane Keaton...Goodbar. She should have been nominated twice or just for Goodbar, not A. Hall.

by Helen Lawsonreply 1802/22/2013

This thread is crying out for a response from Miss Warwick herself!

by Helen Lawsonreply 1902/22/2013

Does "(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls" really not have any other name?

by Helen Lawsonreply 2002/22/2013

Sorry, but every true gay knows that the song from "Valley of the Dolls" that deserved the nomination is "I'll Plant My Own Tree"

by Helen Lawsonreply 2102/22/2013

[quote]Hoop Dreams and Crumb both not being nominated for Best Documentary.

Tip of the iceberg. The documentary branch of the Academy is famous for missing the boat nearly 100% of the time.

by Helen Lawsonreply 2202/22/2013

Love that clip, R21. Between that and Hearts, Not Diamonds from The Fan, some filmmakers have a fucked up idea of what a Broadway hit looks like.

by Helen Lawsonreply 2302/22/2013

Elaine Stritch should have gotten an Oscar nomination for September

by Helen Lawsonreply 2402/22/2013

Paul Giamatti for "Sideways." He IS the movie.

by Helen Lawsonreply 2502/22/2013

Hitchcock doesn't have one. Neither does Cary Grant.

by Helen Lawsonreply 2602/22/2013

Nobody tell R26.

by Helen Lawsonreply 2702/22/2013

Sophia Loren, A Special Day

by Helen Lawsonreply 2802/22/2013

I shall put it simply. Because Lupella is waxing my back and if I don't keep an eye on her in my hand mirror, she will "accidentally" take it down to my ribcage. HEY! WATCHIT BITCH!!!

Anyway, I refused to give Jack Valenti a blow job so I didn't get a nomination. I had given him a whopper of a BJ the year before for "Alfie," and I sang it on the show and was all ready for the prize when fucking "Born Free" was announced. Shit. I even pounded Jack with a special Oscar he kept for a peg session, AND I LOST? So I knew his promise meant nothing but a bad taste in my mouth, like fish water and grease.

Andre was so pissed he came over to my place and kicked in the door and in that silly accent of his that makes him sound like castrated bus boy at Mama Leone's demanded I suck up and suck up. Fuck that shit. So I gave HIM a blow job to shut him up.

As punishment Barbara Fat Ass Parkins sang it on the sound track. What a breathy cow.

Is this a dream, bitch? No - it is a fucking nightmare.

But I did make a lot of smokum dough off my cut and I met some nice people. Loved Sharon. I remember that one night I had invited some friends - I think his name was Charlie and he had a way-out crowd - to stop by some dull party I was supposed to be at with her. He said he couldn't make it but would send a representation. I skipped it - I owed him some money and he was a little touchy about that, plus my hash took over and I woke up in the desert.

And Sharon must have gotten mad because I never heard another word from her every again.

And Patty Duck or whatever her name was was so short I had to wear my glasses to see her down there. She was always bragging about her Oscar, and I told her I was going to show her how Jack Valenti stores his if she didn't shut up.

by Helen Lawsonreply 2902/22/2013

Cary Grant wasn't regarded as a good actor in his day. History has been kind to him.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3002/22/2013

"I'll Plant My Own Tree" was such remarkable drivel.

This is the recording that was scrapped when Garland was fired:

by Helen Lawsonreply 3102/22/2013

Glenn Close losing for Fatal Attraction to Cher.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3202/22/2013

Michael Fassbender for Shame. Actually he deserved a nom also for Hunger and Fish Tank.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3302/22/2013

[quote] Glenn Close losing for Fatal Attraction to Cher.

Holly Hunter swept all four critics awards that year for Broadcast News.

One of the few times a performer sweeps all four awards, and doesn't win the Oscar.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3402/22/2013

I think "Best Actor, 1970" wins.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3502/22/2013

The dubbed voice of in the Susan Hayward clip is mediocrity personified and the tape of Judy singing the song is sad as that is Judy in her most diminished state- she was near the very end of her rope and her voice long gone.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3602/22/2013

R11 You've got splinters in the windmills of type mind.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3702/22/2013

Whatever one thinks about the Valley of the Dolls theme, it's miles ahead of a lot of the drivel that has won the Best Song Oscar. Frankly, I don't think the theme from SKYFALL is anything much, but there really hasn't been a decent Bond film theme song since "Nobody Does it Better".

Hardly anyone saw THE WHISPERERS, so while Edith Evans was superb in it, the likelihood of her winning was nil. Of course, Katherine Hepburn winning that year for GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER was ludicrous.

Cary Grant was more of a star than a real actor, so while he was very skillful within a fairly narrow range, he was never considered a versatile actor.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3802/22/2013

Re: Windmills of Your Mind

Once upon a time I went to see a show featuring a duo called Kiki & Herb (with whom some DL'ers may be familiar) - Miss Kiki's rendition of that tune I consider legendary.

by Helen Lawsonreply 3902/22/2013

r34 Holly went on to win for the Piano, and poor Glenn is still Oscarless and that just does not seem right. Alex Forrest is such an iconic villain and flawless performance that it still bugs me that she didn't win. I think the AFI had her placed close to the top for greatest cinema villains when they did that list. I miss those specials.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4002/22/2013

R36, the dubbed voice was Margaret Whiting at her most boring.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4102/22/2013

All of Katharine Hepbarn's Oscars should've been given to someone else, anyone else.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4202/22/2013

R40 Holly Hunter also swept all four critics awards for the Piano.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4302/22/2013

R42 go thru all four of Kate wins and tell us who you would have given the Oscar to.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4402/22/2013

No R41, Margaret Whiting at her most boring is when she married Jack Wrangler...

by Helen Lawsonreply 4502/22/2013

R45, I think that her decision to marry Jack Wrangler was sort of interesting. Her nights thereafter might have been another story. But their evenings were not; I shared a couple of them (the evenings, not either Margaret or Jack).

by Helen Lawsonreply 4602/22/2013

What about supporting actress in 2003? In retrospect ANYBODY would have been better or more deserving than Renee Zellweger that year. I know it was her makeup Oscar from the year before but still... BLECH to Cold Mountain.

And also, has nobody mentioned Sandra Bullock's "win"? Dear JESUS I have never been angrier at the Academy.

Oh yeah. Crash over Brokeback.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4702/22/2013

For R44

Oscar 1: There were only two other nominees that year and I haven't seen either of them Katharine can have that one.

Oscar 2: I would've given to Faye Dunaway for "Bonnie and Clyde". Although I wouldn't have been upset if Anne Bancroft won for "The Graduate".

Oscar 3: Barbra for "Funny Girl" alone.

Oscar 4: Meryl for "The French Lieutenant's Woman".

Really, R44 my point is that Katharine is VERY overrated. She's a one note actress.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4802/22/2013

R47 the same could be said for Dame Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love.

by Helen Lawsonreply 4902/22/2013

K. Hepburn deserved her Oscar for MORNING GLORY given the competition, but Edith Evans, Faye Dunaway, or Anne Bancroft were all more deserving in 1967, though Bancroft's role is really more supporting.

I'm not one who's a big fan of Hepburn in LION IN WINTER. She's fine at the beginning but takes the silly script way too seriously in the second half, getting all weepy/tragic. Shakespare it ain't.

I suppose Streisand deserved the Oscar, in spite of her tendency to strike attitudes in the 2nd half dramatic scenes rather than truly act, but if she'd tied with Vanessa Redgrave (ISADORA) or Joanne Woodward (RACHEL, RACHEL) that would have been fine.

As for the atrocious ON GOLDEN POND, Susan Sarandon would have been a better choice for ATLANTIC CITY.

If Hepburn had to tie with someone, it should have been in 1962, where her performance in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT would have tied with Anne Bancroft in THE MIRACLE WORKER, career highs for both of them.

Frankly, the rest of Best Actress roster for 1962 was damn fine: Bette Davis for BABY JANE, Geraldine Page for SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH, and Lee Remick for DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5002/22/2013

R42/48: Greta Garbo was in "Queen Christina" for that period but was not nominated.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5102/22/2013

Zellwegger gave the kind of actressy performance in COLD MOUNTAIN that's guaranteed to get an Oscar. It was embarrassing, but that whole film is mediocre and all three leads are badly cast.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5202/22/2013

"An 'Oscar Snub' thread that starts with a scream about the theme from "Valley of the Dolls" either is going to be a classic or an example of the generational divide here at the DL."

Exactly. Of all the Oscar snubs in history, OP picks this one? That song is okay, but nothing remotely special.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5302/22/2013

"Oscar 4: Meryl for "The French Lieutenant's Woman".

I watched that recently and while Streep is very skillful in the part, she lacks the air of romantic mystery that it really needs (the kind that Vanessa Redgrave could provide easily, though she was, of course, too old to play the part in '81).

In the once scene where Irons character sees her on the jetty in Lyme Regis and she turns to him, she looks like a pale adolescent boy - hardly the thing of romantic obsession.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5402/22/2013

According to A. Scott Berg (Hepburn biographer) LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT is her favorite performance.

But she was not at all sorry she lost to Anne Bancroft, because she admired that performance as well.

btw Barbra only won for Funny Girl because she voted for herself. If she was not allowed into the Academy, Hepburn would have won solo.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5502/22/2013

Angella Basset in .."what's Love Got To Do With It: The Ike and Tina Turner Story"

Thread Closed.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5602/22/2013

[quote]Hardly anyone saw THE WHISPERERS, so while Edith Evans was superb in it, the likelihood of her winning was nil. Of course, Katherine Hepburn winning that year for GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER was ludicrous.

That was also the year for Anne Bancroft in The Graduate and Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde. Not to mention Audrey Hepburn in Wait Until Dark.

Kate's performance was ok, but it was in the worst movie of the bunch

by Helen Lawsonreply 5702/22/2013

[quote] Angella Basset in .."what's Love Got To Do With It: The Ike and Tina Turner Story" Thread Closed.

The critics felt otherwise as Holly Hunter swept ALL FOUR critics awards that year for The Piano.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5802/22/2013

R55, how does anyone know that Barbra Streisand, in fact, voted for herself causing the momentous tie? She is a selfless and yes, insecure, performer and my suspicion is that, being a newcomer to the world of Hollywood, may have felt inadequate and voted for Hepburn or any of the other three instead of herself.

by Helen Lawsonreply 5902/22/2013

R59 she said she voted for herself.

by Helen Lawsonreply 6002/22/2013

Carole Lombard should have won for "My Man Godfrey" over Luise "Crossword Puzzle Answer" Rainer for her schmaltzy 3-minute phone call in "The Great Zeigfeld."

by Helen Lawsonreply 6102/22/2013

I believe that the old rules were still in place when Hepburn and Streisand tied (exactly, according to published reports, although this information is sworn to secrecy and few people have access to it), so that if they had come within three votes of each other a tie still would have been declared. In other words, Streisand's vote didn't do the trick, if in fact she voted for herself.

The current Oscar rules do not get into such quibbling, and simply state that if a "tie" occurs both nominees receive the award.

by Helen Lawsonreply 6202/22/2013

In "Guess," Hepburn played a warm, heterosexual mother who was supposed to still be deeply in love with and having hot sex with Spencer Tracy, so perhaps voters were rewarding the stretch the role was for her.

But it is one of the worst Oscar pity fuck awards.

I hope Emmanuelle Riva takes it Sunday and, less probably, Sally Field. Other than that, I don't have strong feelings--I think my own Oscar mania is lessening the older I get.

And the "Morning Glory" Hepburn Oscar was, I think, expected to to to May Robson, an old trouper, nominated for the Apple Annie role in "Lady for a Day," played in the remake ("Pocketful of Miracles") by Bette Davis. It's a less lumbering version of the Damon Runyon story than the remake, even though both were directed by Capra. (I like some of the actors in the remake, but Capra had lost whatever touch he had by then--was it his final film?). EVen back in the 30s, Oscar seemed to like to reward the young women--Janet Gaynor was in her early 20s as was Hepburn. Pickford got one for one of her worst performances (and one of the worst performances captured on film) because she was....well, Mary Pickford for Chrissakes...and Norma Shearer for being in every film MGM made that year, thanks to Mr. Norma Shearer (though, truth be told, she was a perfectly fine actress when cast and directed well). SOme would say Marie Dressler's "Min and Bill" was simply a sentimental choice, but she was at the top of the box office then and her performances still hold up as wonderful blends of comedy and pathos. Had there been a supporting category, surely her Carlotta would have won in "Dinner at Eight."

by Helen Lawsonreply 6302/22/2013

[quote] so that if they had come within three votes of each other a tie still would have been declared.

I wonder who got more votes? Hepburn or Streisand.

by Helen Lawsonreply 6402/22/2013

The big chill was sooooooo much better than terms of endearment, and Glenn should have at least one or two oscars to go with her 6 nominations. And I agree, crash over bbn, ridiculous. Thanks oprah

by Helen Lawsonreply 6502/22/2013

It was fitting that Glenn presented Deborah Kerr with her honorary Oscar.

Both of them six time Oscar losers

by Helen Lawsonreply 6602/22/2013

Dear R1.....back off, Rambo!!!!

by Helen Lawsonreply 6702/22/2013

Kander & Ebb's theme from "New York, New York" not being nominated for Best Song, even though it was one of the biggest songs of the year, and was nominated for a Golden Globe;

"The Hours" losing Best Picture to "Chicago" (edit: now that I look at the other nominees--"Gangs of NY", "Lord of the Rings, Two Towers", and "The Pianist", I would honestly put "Chicago" at the bottom of that list).

Julianne Moore losing Best Supporting Actress to Catherine Zeta-Jones;

Renee Zellweger getting the Supporting Actress nominee slot that should've gone to Meryl or even Toni Collette or Allison Janney.

by Helen Lawsonreply 6802/22/2013

[quote] Renee Zellweger getting the Supporting Actress nominee slot that should've gone to Meryl or even Toni Collette or Allison Janney.

Renee was in the Lead Actress category

by Helen Lawsonreply 6902/22/2013

Glenn for 102 Dalmatians.

by Helen Lawsonreply 7002/22/2013

Fuckers overlooked me twice. Once for that shitty little drug film and then for my singing the theme song for "Crack Your Coconuts!" Bastards.

Lois! Another iced Helenesque!

by Helen Lawsonreply 7102/22/2013

R18- I agree!!! Where the hell is the GOODBAR DVD??! music rights holdup?

by Helen Lawsonreply 7202/22/2013

I always thought that Juliette Binoche should have the Oscar for The English Patient but the Academy disagreed and gave it to Joan Chen instead. That was a seriously WTF moment.

by Helen Lawsonreply 7302/22/2013

[quote] Her nights thereafter might have been another story. But their evenings were not; I shared a couple of them (the evenings, not either Margaret or Jack).

R46, please elaborate!

by Helen Lawsonreply 7402/22/2013

Speaking of WTF, R73... What color is the sky in your universe?

by Helen Lawsonreply 7502/22/2013

Anne Bancroft should have won for The Graduate instead of that closeted dyke from Connecticut. Talk about an iconic performance.

Bill Murray should have won for Lost In Translation. He IS that movie and I believe Sofia Coppola said that if he wouldn't play the part there was no point in making the movie. She was right and he was funny and touching. A beautiful performance. Instead they gave it to Sean Penn, who was good in Mystic River but nothing special.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Zellwegger should have won for Bridget Jones' Diary instead of Halle Berry. She fucking nailed that role and its so much harder to be funny than to scream and cry.

by Helen Lawsonreply 7602/22/2013

[quote]Anne Bancroft should have won for The Graduate instead of that closeted dyke from Connecticut. Talk about an iconic performance.

I agree with every word you've said, except the closeted dyke thing because I know nothing about that.

by Helen Lawsonreply 7702/22/2013

Goodfellas walking away with one Oscar instead of an across-the-board sweep is the biggest joke in Academy history. It was a series of crap decisions instead of just one. Most movie lovers now consider it one of the greatest American films. So of course the Academy snubbed it.

Think about it: Kevin Costner has a Best Director Oscar. Even the non-Scorsese nominees that year would have been better: Stephen Frears for "The Grifters", Barbet Schroeder for "Reversal of Fortune" or... ok, not Coppola for "Godfather 3", but still.

by Helen Lawsonreply 7802/22/2013

I assume Cate loosing to GOOP is just taken for granted now and that's why its taken 79 posts for "The Grand Travesty of 1998" to be mentioned.

by Helen Lawsonreply 7902/22/2013

[quote]Zellwegger gave the kind of actressy performance in COLD MOUNTAIN that's guaranteed to get an Oscar. It was embarrassing, but that whole film is mediocre and all three leads are badly cast.

Did anyone else just feel a chill go up their spine?

by Helen Lawsonreply 8002/22/2013

[quote]Goodfellas. Most movie lovers now consider it one of the greatest American films.

Most people THEN also considered it one of the greatest American films. It was heralded as a masterpiece from day one which made and still makes Dances with Wolves win so frustrating.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8102/22/2013

River Phoenix for My Own Private Idaho.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8202/22/2013

Not a single nomination in any category for the "Kill Bill" films.

Personally I think too many Oscars are given to actors and actresses who imitate a real-life person. It seems like it would be much harder to bring life to a totally fictional character. But that's just me.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8302/22/2013

R55, if she hasn't won for Funny Girl - and with only one vote between them there was really nothing to it - she would've won for The Way We Were or something else. Barbra was big box office. She would've eventually won an Oscar.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8402/22/2013

Ellen Burstyn should have won for "Requiem for a Dream."

Gillian Anderson deserved a best actress nomination for "The House of Mirth."

Brokeback Mountain over Crash.

Emily Watson should have won for "Breaking the Waves."

by Helen Lawsonreply 8502/22/2013

Chloe Webb in Sid and Nancy.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8602/22/2013

Judy Garland being robbed for "A Star is Born" never stops pissing me off. It's a perfect 1950's lavish musical/melodrama. I still love watching it. If Judy was a bit cagier, she would have ALSO starred in "The Country Girl" with her dear friend Bing over at Paramount. What would it have taken? Five weeks of filming? Plus, Judy was perfect to play Georgie. She would have been sensational.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8702/22/2013

The old Hollywood columnist Jim Bacon always swore that he was the cause of the tie between Babs and Kate. His story was that he was visiting Gene Autry, who had to complete his ballot. Autry said the only movie he had seen that year was "Oliver," which he voted for Best Picture, and then asked Bacon to fill out the rest of the ballot. Bacon voted for Babs, claiming to have caused the tie. The story may not be true, but who knows?

On the more general topic here, there have been a lot of crazy votes over the years. Often they have come for sentimental reasons, giving the award to someone who should have won earlier like Pacino. Other times, they were close calls and we can't know how close the votes actually were. I actually thought "Crash" was a good film, but "Broke Back Mountain" was a great film and should have won. I imagine BBM lost by a very few votes.

Garland should have won for "A Star Is Born" over Kelley for "The Country Girl." Jimmy Stewart should have won over Robert Donat in 1939, Henry Fonda should have won over Stewart in 1940, Cary Grant should have won over Gary Cooper in 1941, and either Cooper or Bogart should have won over Paul Lukas in 1943.

by Helen Lawsonreply 8802/22/2013

Because of a screw up at 20th Century Fox, Roddy McDowell didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actor in Cleopatra.

IMHO, K. Hepburn isn't a one note actress, she is a no note actress

by Helen Lawsonreply 8902/23/2013

After Frederic March and Wallace Beery tied, (actually March finished one vote ahead of Beery) the Academy declared that from that time onward, there would have to be an exact tie to be the winners. A columnist, James Bacon wrote a book about his hollywood experiences. He wrote that he was given a ballot by an academy member who didn't want to bother voting. He mulled over the nominees; and, as an afterthought, he checked Barbra's name, then mailed it. Barbra Streisand was a newcomer. Normally, a newcomer has to be sponsored and the process takes time. Yet, she was granted a vote. It was Katharine Hepburn who didn't normally vote for herself if she voted at all. That was the year Mia Farrow was snubbed for "Rosemary's Baby". Also, Julie Andrews, for "Star", which flopped at the boxoffice mainly because the public wouldn't accept her in an edgy role. And Beryl Reid wasn't nominated for "The Killing of Sister George".

by Helen Lawsonreply 9002/23/2013

Julianne Moore should have been nominated for "Savage Grace".

The scene in the airport where she turns and walks away upon discovering that her husband is going off with his much-younger mistress was brilliant. She doesn't speak a word, but convincingly transforms her facial expression and body language from maintaining her dignity to almost falling apart within about four seconds. And if I remember correctly, she doesn't even shed one tear until the cut to her character's getting into a taxi. It was stunning.

Seriously.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9102/23/2013

Re: the loss of "Brokeback Mountain". Jay Leno was reported to have made fun of it for at least half of that December it opened. Many voters are retired and probably had had leisure time to watch Leno If I remember correctly, it was also reported that "Brokeback Mountain" won over 90 Best Picture awards, here in the "red" states, as well as the "blue" states. Than number also includes the awards won overseas.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9202/23/2013

At the time of Barbra Streisand's nomination, there was a newspaper published in the heart of hollywood, "The Hollywood Citizen-News". It was chock full of hollywood items. There were several columnists writing for the paper, including veteran, Sydney Skolsky. Skolsky had a column of readers voicing their opinions. He was also a buff from decades back. He even claimed to be the one who dubbed the statuette. Skolsky promoted newcomer Barbra Streisand, from day one. Pro-BS letters were published especially during the nominating period. He had a long history of promoting a favorite, for the oscar. He also had a history of choosing someone who was up against a Catholic role. Indeed, Simone Signoret gave him public credit for her win, for "Room at the Top". (Audrey Hepburn was the frontrunner for "The Nun's Story"). He also pushed for Julie Christie, for "Darling", after it looked like Julie Andrews might win for "The Sound of Music". He wasn't always successful, however. He tried to get the oscar for Richard Burton, (for "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", over Paul Scofield, for "A Man for All Seasons".) The tie was the time that Joanne Woodward was the one to beat, for "Rachel, Rachel", but she complained about her husband, Paul Newman, not getting a nomination for that film. That complaint was played up in the hollywood press. And, a letter I posted to Mr. Skolsky regarding that, was turned into a pro Streisand missive, which wasn't what I had written. My protest went unpublished.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9302/23/2013

Robert Donat totally deserved his 1939 Oscar for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"...but James Stewart should've won in 1946 for "It's a Wonderful Life" rather than Fredric March in "The Best Years of Our Lives" (March is terrific, but Stewart is iconic).

Since the thread started with Best Original Song as its topic, the 1977 Best Original Song category has always astonished me: not a single one of the iconic songs from "Saturday Night Fever" were nominated -- "How Deep is Your Love," "Night Fever," "Staying Alive," "If I Can't Have You" and "More Than a Woman" were all eligible. And then, when they have nominated one of the greatest Bond songs of all time -- "Nobody Does It Better" from "The Spy Who Loved Me" -- they turn around and give it to the godawful "You Light Up My Life." Gag.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9402/23/2013

Both "The Color Purple" and "Brokeback Mountain" were robbed of best-picture wins.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9502/23/2013

I totally agree, R95 .

by Helen Lawsonreply 9602/23/2013

Here we go again but the song remains the same:

Courtney Love for "The People vs. Larry Flint". Then, now, forever.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9702/23/2013

Ramon Novarro in "The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg" (1927).

Edward G. Robinson in "Little Caesar" (1930).

Peter Lorre in "M" (1931) and "Mad Love" (1935).

Boris Karloff in "Frankenstein" (1931) and "The Body Snatcher" (1945).

Joan Crawford in "Rain" or "Grand Hotel" (both 1932).

Marlene Dietrich in "Shanghai Express" (1932) and "Destry Rides Again" (1940).

Greta Garbo in "Queen Christina" (1933).

Jean Harlow in "Red Dust" (1933) and "Libeled Lady" (1936).

Leslie Howard in "The Scarlet Pimpernel" (1935).

Jean Arthur in "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" (1936) and "Easy Living" (1937).

Joseph Cotten in "Shadow of a Doubt" (1943).

Dana Andrews in "Laura" (1944) and "Daisy Kenyon" (1947); and Ruth Warrick for Supporting Actress in "Daisy Kenyon."

Jennifer Jones in "Ruby Gentry" (1952).

Doris Day in "Calamity Jane" (1953).

Robert Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter" (1955).

Marilyn Monroe in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953) and "Some Like it Hot" (1959).

Clark Gable in "The Misfits" (1962).

by Helen Lawsonreply 9802/23/2013

[quote]IMHO, K. Hepburn isn't a one note actress, she is a no note actress

Dorothy Parker, we thought you were dead.

by Helen Lawsonreply 9902/23/2013

More re: Brokeback's loss.

Best Picture is the only category voted on by the entire Academy membership. Despite the rave reviews and good box office, many of the Academy voters were "of an earlier generation" and they publicly stated they either hadn't or wouldn't see the film, or more pointedly wouldn't vote for that "faggot cowboy movie."

Does no one remember the backlash when Academy voters Ernest Borgnine and Tony Curtis both said publicly that they wouldn't vote for Brokeback because "the Best Picture shouldn't be a fag film"? The overt homophobia amongst the older Academy members was rampant and appalling. For these 'phobes, Crash was the "safer" choice. So I think the voting for Best Picture that year was not nearly as close as we would wish to believe.

(The homophobic cracks were especially distressing coming from Curtis, who of course had his biggest hit as a drag queen in "Some Like It Hot")

by Helen Lawsonreply 10002/23/2013

[quote]Best Picture is the only category voted on by the entire Academy membership. Despite the rave reviews and good box office, many of the Academy voters were "of an earlier generation" and they publicly stated they either hadn't or wouldn't see the film, or more pointedly wouldn't vote for that "faggot cowboy movie."

Best Picture is the only category where the entire body [bold]nominates[/bold] films for the award. Each branch, acting, directing, music, editing, etc., nominates people within their specific category, e.g. actors nominate actors for the four awards in the acting categories. The entire body votes in all the categories once the nominees have been announced.

by Helen Lawsonreply 10102/23/2013

Madonna Live To Tell This Used To Be My Playground I'll Remember .....no nominations

Janet Jackson Again nomination

by Helen Lawsonreply 10202/23/2013

I think also as overrated as the film is, Jack Nicholson deserved a nomination for 'The Shining'.

by Helen Lawsonreply 10302/23/2013

The 2007/8 actor is a bombsite (you can also say this for 04). Only two were deserving - Viggo and DDL.

Yet they're happy to nominate Depp on autopilot again, cuntface Clooney and TLJ in that shitfest while it was a great year for male performances, not reflected here.

They really have it against young actors in that category who must need to prove themselves, while a 12 year old can get in actress.

More worthy performances included:

Sam Riley in Control James McAvoy in Atonement Ryan Gosling in Lars and the Real Girl Emile Hirsch in Into the Wild

by Helen Lawsonreply 10402/23/2013

Judy Garland should have won for "Judgement @ Nurembour"

Clark Gable deserved it for "Gone With the Wind"

Richard Burton never won an Oscar

Richard Gere has never been nominated

... and the biggest snub EVER: Bjork in "Dancing in the Dark" ... I'm pretty sure Julie Roberts won for that fucking pointless movie in which she did nothing more than shake her tits - fucking please.

by Helen Lawsonreply 10502/23/2013

r54, the scene you mention is iconic. The pale look is perfect for the character, as she's meant to be a pale English rose, not some luscious, overtly sexy woman.

She's supposed to be attractive to a man from the 19th century, within the confines of what was desirable to English men of social standing at the time.

Meryl is beguiling in this film, and especially in this particular scene, which comes up every time there is a Meryl retrospective somewhere.

Her being positioned at the very end of the jetty, clad in that massive, overflowing cape, with the waves crashing dramatically against the jetty is the very definition of a romantic image.

by Helen Lawsonreply 10602/23/2013

Meryl Streep in 'The Hours'

Meryl Streep in 'Marvin's Room'

Meryl Streep in 'Death Becomes Her'

Meryl Streep in 'Dancing at Lughnasa'

Meryl Streep in 'House of the Spirits'

Meryl Streep in 'A Prairie Home Companion'

All of them strong enough to beat whatever competition she had in those respective years.

Furthermore:

Naomi Watts in 'Mulholland Drive' (nobody has mentioned this yet! Biggest snub EVAH)

Isabelle Huppert 'The Piano Teacher'

Virna Lisi & Isabelle Adjani 'Queen Margot'

JLT 'Amour', obviously. Also for 'Z' and a couple of others.

Sigourney Weaver 'The Ice Storm'

Jeff Daniels & Mia Farrow 'Purple Rose of Cairo'

Kirsten Dunst 'Melancholia' (the very bland and overrated Michelle Williams took her nomination)

Bette Davis 'Of Human Bondage' (the perennial classic)

Kristin Scott-Thomas 'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime'

Bjork 'Dancer in the Dark'

Cher 'Mask' (another classic snub)

Bibi Andersson 'Persona'

Victor Sjostrom 'Wild Strawberries'

by Helen Lawsonreply 10702/23/2013

The Best Picture winner for 1941 was How Green Was My Valley, the saga of a Welsh coal-mining family in the early 20th century.

You're forgiven for never having seen or heard of this "classic," since its fellow nominees very quickly eclipsed it: The Maltese Falcon, The Little Foxes, Sergeant York, and oh yes...a little thing called Citizen Kane.

by Helen Lawsonreply 10802/23/2013

Kim Basinger winning an Oscar for LA Confidential instead of Julianne Moore for Boogie Nights

by Helen Lawsonreply 10902/23/2013

Charlotte Rampling and Jennifer Jason Leigh

by Helen Lawsonreply 11002/23/2013

Good calls at R110 - Charlotte Rampling was quietly devastating in Under the Sand, while Jennifer Jason Leigh was brilliant in Last Exit to Brooklyn, Georgia, Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle... hard to believe neither actress has even been nominated for an Oscar.

by Helen Lawsonreply 11102/23/2013

Best Actress, Cillian Murphy for Breakfast on Pluto.

by Helen Lawsonreply 11202/23/2013

R74 -- nothing really worth elaborating, but I don't want to seem coy. Jack Wrangler & Margaret Whiting and I had mutual friends, and spent a few evenings in each other's company. We'd say hi in the street, on those occasions we ran into each other. He always seemed a little disappointed that I didn't bring up his porn career, which was part of the reason that I didn't.

[quote]Judy Garland should have won for "Judgement @ Nurembour"

That's three times she should have won and didn't -- "Judgement @ Nurembour," "Judgment at Nuremberg" and "A Star is Born." Four, if one counts the lovely idea of her having been cast in "The Country Girl."

by Helen Lawsonreply 11302/23/2013

R58, so what? The critics (and the Academy) always reward people many of us don't think are deserving. That's what this thread is all about.

Holly Hunter was fantastic in "The Piano" but she was no better than Angela Bassett in "What's Love Got to Do with It" and all of the awards that season, including the Oscar, could've just as easily swung Bassett's way and it would've been completely justified as BOTH women gave equally great performances in vastly different films. (The long-held notion that Hunter's was superior to every other actress that year based simply on the fact she didn't speak is ridiculous.) And with regard to Bassett, do you really think, had the roles been reversed and Hunter gave the kind of fiery performance as say Janis Joplin that Bassett gave as Turner, that all the awards committees would've deemed Bassett as automatically deserving just for stomping her feet for two hours in New Zealand? Somehow I doubt it.

Only 20% of Hunter's Oscar for "The Piano" was for her performance; the other 80% was a make-good for "Broadcast News," for which many felt she should have won years before, a la Winslet for "The Reader," Zellweger for "Cold Mountain," and, quite possibly, Lawrence this year for "Silver Linings Playbook."

This kind of discussion is why I always think back to what Henry Fonda once said about how silly these awards are, because it pits actors against one another for such entirely different roles and then voters are forced to pull one out of the pack and say "this person was the best." Yes, it's all for fun but really just so ridiculous in the end.

by Helen Lawsonreply 11402/23/2013

R114 Critics don't give out awards to 'make-up' for a snub.

The Academy does.

With the exception of the Golden Globe, Angela Bassett Won ZERO critics awards for her performance. It was great, but Holly Hunter was better. And it was Holly who swept all the pre-oscar awards, including the main 4 critics awards.

Out of the thousands of movie critics out there, do you think they collude together vote or push for a particular person?

There are tons of actors who have won these critics awards, yet failed to even be nominated for the Oscar.

Case in point Steve Martin for Roxanne. He won two out of the four major critics awards. Yet he wasn't even nominated for the Oscar!

by Helen Lawsonreply 11502/23/2013

[quote]Ellen Burstyn should have won for "Requiem for a Dream."

And she would have had she been in the Supporting category where she belonged. Blame the studio.

by Helen Lawsonreply 11602/23/2013

Not one single nomination for Parker Posey.

She should have been nominated for "House of Yes" or "Broken English".

by Helen Lawsonreply 11702/23/2013

Parker Posey? She's an over acting loon.

by Helen Lawsonreply 11802/23/2013

R116, Ellen Burstyn was not the Supporting Actress, Jennifer Connolly was. She was snubbed and they later made good with the win for A Beautiful Mind.

Burstyn was lead. She carried her own story.

by Helen Lawsonreply 11902/23/2013

Donald Sutherland in Ordinary People.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12002/23/2013

Nominees in the year Valley of the Dolls wasn't:

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang -- Music and Lyrics by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman

"For Love Of Ivy" from For Love of Ivy -- Music by Quincy Jones; Lyrics by Bob Russell

"Funny Girl" from Funny Girl -- Music by Jule Styne; Lyrics by Bob Merrill

"Star!" from Star! -- Music by Jimmy Van Heusen; Lyrics by Sammy Cahn

* "The Windmills Of Your Mind" from The Thomas Crown Affair -- Music by Michel Legrand; Lyrics by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman

by Helen Lawsonreply 12102/23/2013

Richard Gere this year.

Eddie Murphy should've won for "Dreamgirls."

Carmen Ejogo deserved a Supporting Actress nod for "Sparkle" and Kimberly Elise for "For Colored Girls."

by Helen Lawsonreply 12202/23/2013

The little kid in The Sixth Sense.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12302/23/2013

Richard Gere in Chicago.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12402/23/2013

I say this every year, but Debbi Morgan didn't even get nominated for Eve's Bayou.

Agree on Crash winning over BBM and GA not getting a nom for House of Mirth.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12502/23/2013

Christian Bale for "Empire of the Sun"

by Helen Lawsonreply 12602/23/2013

Al Pacino should have won Best Actor for The Godfather II over Art Carney for Harry and Tonto. It took years for Pacino to win his make-up Oscar, for the dreadful Scent of a Woman.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12702/23/2013

Jane Fonda's typical wooden performance won her an Oscar for Coming Home, when it should have gone to Jill Clayburgh for An Unmarried Woman.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12802/23/2013

You are stop on, R128. Clayburgh gave such a great performance.

by Helen Lawsonreply 12902/23/2013

Sorry, "spoT on".

by Helen Lawsonreply 13002/23/2013

I remember at the time, I could not believe that Clayburgh let them film her wilted tits, I almost felt sorry for her.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13102/23/2013

Her breasts were perky and beautiful, R131.

Ugh, the distorted perceptions of physical beauty here on DL never cease to amaze me.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13202/23/2013

Ingrid Bergman should have won in 1978 for Autumn Sonata. If she hadn't won that award in 1974 (that even Bergman herself said should go to someone else) she might have. Coming Home is Fonda's most overrated performance. Jane keeps peeking through her character all the time. "Look how tortured I am!"

by Helen Lawsonreply 13302/23/2013

How does it take only one vote to create a tie in your universe?

And who believes Hepburn when she claimed she didn't vote for herself?

by Helen Lawsonreply 13402/23/2013

Hepburn had two Oscars by that point. Considering what she felt about the whole thing, it's not at all unlikely that she didn't vote for herself.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13502/23/2013

We've talked about this here before, but Barbara Stanwyck not winning an Oscar was one of the biggest failings of the Academy. I think it was because 1) She was never tied to a long-term studio contract and 2) The roles she was nominated for were not always sympathetic.

Angela Bassett not winning for What's Love Got to Do With It? was another offense. She also should have been nominated for Waiting to Exhale, although the film itself was not so great. She and Loretta Devine made it better than it was.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13602/23/2013

Here's a list of dozens and dozens of actors never nominated for an Oscar. A lot of greats.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13702/23/2013

Eddie Murphy should NOT have won for Dreamgirls. He played a coked up version of himself, no acting there.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13802/23/2013

Beatrice Straight winning for 9 minutes in "Network" instead of Jodie Foster carrying 1/2 the whole fucking film of "Taxi Driver."

Russell Crowe losing to Denzel Washington.

George Burns winning.

John Wayne beating out Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight.

Lauren Bacall losing to Juliette Binoche (there IS something for nostalgia, now and again.)

"Star Wars" losing to "Annie Hall."

ETc., etc.

by Helen Lawsonreply 13902/23/2013

Juliette Binoche was infintely better than Lauren Bacall. Glad she won.

Binoche is an actress. LB is not.

by Helen Lawsonreply 14002/23/2013

Joan Allen, The Upside of Anger

Jack Lemmon, Glengarry Glen Ross

Norma Aleandro, The Official Story

Isabelle Huppert, too many movies to name

Jean-Louis Trintigant, too many movies to name including Amour

Gena Rowlands, Opening Night

Gary Oldman, The Contender

Judi Dench, Skyfall

by Helen Lawsonreply 14102/23/2013

Harry Dean Stanton not being nominated for "Paris, Texas"

by Helen Lawsonreply 14202/24/2013

[quote]Burstyn was lead. She carried her own story

But the studio would have been smarter to put her in supporting since the role was kind of borderline. She'd have won.

by Helen Lawsonreply 14302/24/2013

[quote]Holly Hunter swept all four critics awards that year for Broadcast News

She just got three out of 4 and LA was a tie with Sally Kirkland.

by Helen Lawsonreply 14402/24/2013

Getting back to Barbra, why the hell shouldn't she have voted for herself?

by Helen Lawsonreply 14502/24/2013

Norma Shearer should have won for "Marie Antionette", not "The Divorcee"

by Helen Lawsonreply 14602/24/2013

I just watched "Life Of Pi" and it's a shame the main kid wasn't nominated. 11 nominations, a huge hit and he's on screen for 75% of the movie.

by Helen Lawsonreply 14702/24/2013

[R137] Some of that list are still young and will surely get nominations in the future. Though some absurd additions like Paul Rudd (as much as I like him) and Hugh Grant.

I agree with a previous post that said Christoph Waltz was hardly a supporting actor in Django Unchained. He was a lead.

by Helen Lawsonreply 14802/24/2013

[quote] Burstyn was lead. She carried her own story.

No she wasn't. It was an ensemble piece. The independent studio put her in the lead because they had a big Oscar winning actress and that killed her chance. All four actors, Burstyn, Leto, Connelly & Wayans all had their own story too and they are all supporting. Supporting isn't just the lead's best friend.

[quote]Eddie Murphy should NOT have won for Dreamgirls. He played a coked up version of himself, no acting there.

Horseshit. Stop bringing YOUR prejudice against Murphy. He was great and his musical scenes were terrific. Alan Arkin did absolutely nothing special in 'Little Miss Sunshine". Classic unofficial Lifetime Achievement Award on his third nomination.

[quote]Beatrice Straight winning for 9 minutes in "Network" instead of Jodie Foster carrying 1/2 the whole fucking film of "Taxi Driver."

Piper Laurie from "Carrie" was also in that category.

by Helen Lawsonreply 14902/24/2013

R143 but I thought Marcia Gay Harden who was presumably an outsider shock was off the wall amazing, right away you could see why she'd won so I'm glad La Burstyn wasn't placed here. It's one of the best supporting performances I've ever seen, though again another borderline with lots of screen time, it's a tricky thing.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15002/24/2013

I totally agree, R150. She gave a great performance.

I actually attended a talk that she gave a few years later at the Provincetown film festival and she could not have been more different from her performance(s). She absolutely immerses herself in her roles.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15102/24/2013

[quote] She just got three out of 4 and LA was a tie with Sally Kirkland.

A win is still a win.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15202/24/2013

[quote] Stop bringing YOUR prejudice against Murphy. He was great and his musical scenes were terrific

The critics disagreed, shutting him out at year end film awards

NY Film Critics - Little Children: Jackie Earle Haley

National Scoiety Film Critics - The Departed: Mark Wahlberg

National Board - Blood Diamond: Djimon Hounsou

LA Film Critics - The Queen: Michael Sheen

by Helen Lawsonreply 15302/24/2013

Eddie Murphy was Eddie Murphy. And Arkin got RAVES when LMS premiered. Maybe some voted for him as a career achievement award but the Oscar buzz started months earlier with all his critical accolades. And those reviewers had no reason to push him considering LMS was a nothing movie at the time that wasn't expected to make any money, much less figure in at awards time.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15402/24/2013

"The critics disagreed, shutting him out at year end film awards

NY Film Critics - Little Children: Jackie Earle Haley

National Scoiety Film Critics - The Departed: Mark Wahlberg

National Board - Blood Diamond: Djimon Hounsou

LA Film Critics - The Queen: Michael Sheen"

Preferring someone else doesn't mean the critics didn't think Murphy was great. And your example proves the point. Any one of these four could have been shut out of all the races instead of each winning one, but even if that had happened, their performances and the critical consensus would have still been positive.

I happen to think many actors gave great performances this year but if I had to choose one in each category, then many of them wouldn't make the cut.

For instance, the fact that I think Daniel Day-Lewis gave the most impressive acting performance this year by a man in a leading role, doesn't mean that I don't think Jean-Louis Trintignant and Bradley Cooper were great. They were.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15502/24/2013

Alan arkin career achievement for what? Never heard of him before LMS.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15602/24/2013

[quote]The critics disagreed, shutting him out at year end film awards

And critics don't vote for the Oscars. Just ask Marcia Gay Hardin

by Helen Lawsonreply 15702/24/2013

[quote] And critics don't vote for the Oscars.

But they can sway and influence voting

by Helen Lawsonreply 15802/24/2013

r156, then you must not watch many movies. Alan Arkin was a major star in the mid to late 1960s, earning 2 Academy Award nominations as Best Actor, for "The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming" (1966, one of the highest grossing films of that year) and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" (1968); other big hits of the era were "Wait Until Dark" (1967), "Catch-22" (1970), "Last of the Red Hot Lovers" (1972), "Freebie and the Bean" (1974) and "The In-Laws" (1979). He moved into supporting character roles in the 1980s.

by Helen Lawsonreply 15902/24/2013

[quote]Al Pacino should have won Best Actor for The Godfather II over Art Carney for Harry and Tonto. It took years for Pacino to win his make-up Oscar, for the dreadful Scent of a Woman.

That was quite the Best Actor race that year; besides Pacino, the other nominees were Dustin Hoffman, for "Lenny", and Jack Nicholson for "Chinatown". I feel, though, that Carney at least deserved to be nominated; the fifth nominee was Albert Finney, for his hammy performance in "Murder on the Orient Express". That nomination should have gone to Gene Hackman for "The Conversation".

by Helen Lawsonreply 16002/24/2013

Marilyn Monroe - Bus Stop

Grace over Judy

Citizen Kane & Hitchcock director

The new Gary Oldmans are Richard Gere, Jennifer Jason Leigh and surely the worst ever Mia Farrow (retired presumably).

This year there was nothing major in lead actress so Hushpuppy can stay. I'm imagining Ann Dowd should have been in for supporting - they should have waited for Amy Adams, she never made a dent in two man show The Master.

Actor though is a different story. Les Miz is the only one I haven't seen, but I'm guessing Jackman shouldn't be there and his good Oscar hosting helped. Kick him out and let the overdue Gere in. Cooper, why not if JLaw is there. Washington could have been skipped. But John Hawke was a massive snub here especially considering Hunt made it. I thought in the beginning he would actually win it, he was in the top 3 along with DDL and Phoenix.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16102/26/2013

Patty Duke in a movie called Me, Natalie from 1969. She won the Golden Globes that year for Best Actress, so a nomination should have been...

by Helen Lawsonreply 16202/26/2013

^ That should be Some Like It Hot

by Helen Lawsonreply 16302/26/2013

(R-100) I remember. If I'm correct, Jodie Foster joined them. It stumped me that Curtis would criticize when he was obviously a very effeminate actor in real life. And he made headlines when he declared that "kissing Marily Monroe was like kissing Hitler!" That prompted a reply from broadway producer, David Merrick, saying that "the best performance Tony Curtis ever gave was that of a woman, in 'Some Like it Hot'!" And, when the late San Francisco Chronicle columnist, Herb Caen, wrote an item, in the '90s, that Tony Curtis was chased out of the Castro district, after hours, by some gay men. Also, Ernest Borgnine should have realized that he couldn't have had the career he enjoyed without gay/bi input.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16402/26/2013

[quote]"The Windmills of Your Mind" actually won for that year (1968) and it has, I admit, held up very,very well. A classic,even.

Isn't it just. Dusty's version is really nice, but the Noel Harrison original has an extra haunting quality.

I must check a list of the old winners. I always thought "best song" was just a filler category and they used the performances to entertain the people in the live audience, but some years have real classics. Most since the 90s have been bad and it's a real mess of a category with crap by Randy Newman winning every year and 3 songs from the same Disney cartoon.

The Adull song was by far the most memorable, I forgot that Norah Jones song as soon as I heard it. I liked how they centered a music theme around Marvin Hamlisch, wonder if they'll use themes like this for future shows.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16502/26/2013

R162, I thought Patty won an Emmy for that performance. Wasn't it a tv movie?

Before my day: Grace over Judy and, way way before my day, Luise over Greta in Camille in 1937.

During my day: Gwyneth over Blanchett because, for no other reason, than I hated Gwyneth's "I have no tits" dress and her pinched back hair.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16602/27/2013

r166 no Me, Natalie was a feature film. You might be thinking of "My Sweet Charlie". "Charlie" was one the first TV movies and it was for that she won her first Emmy. As a fun fact, "Charlie" was so successful that the producers did put it in the movies houses for a short run.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16703/02/2013

The greatest Oscar snub for Best Actress: Katherine Hepburn's win over the brilliant performance by Dame Edith Evans, is an outrage and travesty. Evans' powerful portrayal of an elderly woman with dementia in "The Whisperers" is unmatched by any actress and Evans deserved the win.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16808/01/2013

R161 - wow, impossible to understand.

by Helen Lawsonreply 16908/01/2013

Edward G. Robinson, Myrna Loy and, especially, Ida Lupino - never nominated. Shameful

by Helen Lawsonreply 17008/01/2013

Karen Black - The Day of the Locust *Perhaps the Academy's most criminal oversight of the 70s

Catherine Burns - Last Summer

by Helen Lawsonreply 17108/01/2013

R171 Have you heard about the Lifestyle Lift?

by Helen Lawsonreply 17208/01/2013

Speaking of "Day of the Locust" - no nomination for Donald Sutherland???!!! WTF

by Helen Lawsonreply 17308/01/2013

not sure if it was mentioned already Patty Duke in film called me Natalie at least a nominati on. she did win the Golden Globe for that performance

by Helen Lawsonreply 17408/01/2013

Barbara Stanwyck in The Lady Eve owns this thread. One of the greatest performances of all time and certainly one of the crowning achievements in American comedy.

by Helen Lawsonreply 17508/01/2013

I put this question to an oscar buff. His input:

Mia Farrow, "Rosemary's Baby". He added: Barbra Streisand shouldn't even have been nominated.

Humphrey Bogart, "Treasure of the Sierra Madre". He groused that they gave the nom to Dan Dailey, a musical star, instead.

Keir Dullea, "The Hoodlum Priest".

Then I asked an older man than he, and he is still mad that Marlene Dietrich wasn't even nominated for "Witness for the Prosecution". He was adamant that she was robbed of the oscar.

by Helen Lawsonreply 17608/01/2013

Totally agree about Dietrich. And, her co-star, Tyrone Power, deserved noms for "Away All Boats" and "Nightmare Alley"

by Helen Lawsonreply 17708/01/2013

Wes Studi, "The Last of the Mohicans"

Ethel Barrymore, "The Story of Three Loves"

David Carradine, "Bound for Glory"

Marlon Brando, "Reflections in a Golden Eye", and "The Men".

Deborah Kerr, "The Innocents"

David Thewlis, "Naked"

Linda Darnell, "A Letter to Three Wives"

by Helen Lawsonreply 17808/01/2013

Madeline Kahn's screen debut in "What's Up, Doc?" BRILLIANT

by Helen Lawsonreply 17908/01/2013

Lets go right back to the start

Maria Falconetti - The Passion of Joan of Arc

Also

Peggy Ann Garner - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (but at least the film was recognised and not totally shut out, so makes some mark on history)

by Helen Lawsonreply 18008/01/2013

Bump

by Helen Lawsonreply 18208/01/2013

John Huston for supporting actor for Chinatown. He was nominated for BAFTA and Golden Globe but not for an Oscar.

by Helen Lawsonreply 18308/01/2013

Hedy Lamarr in SAMSON AND DELILAH.

Not even nominated. OUTRAGE!!!!

by Helen Lawsonreply 18408/01/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Helen Lawsonreply 18508/01/2013

XANADU may have been a terrible movie, but Magic should have received a best song nomination. I remember John Lennon saying how much he loved the song in an interview before his death.

I also agree with Karen Black. She should have been nominated for Gatsby (she won the globe that year) as well as Locust and her haunting performance in Jimmy Dean (Cher was great too)

Speaking of Cher, MASK should have been a no brainer.

Eric Stoltz should have definitely received a supporting actor nomination too.

by Helen Lawsonreply 18608/01/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Helen Lawsonreply 18708/01/2013

Phooey! Trying to dope out what the big winners should be.

by Helen Lawsonreply 18808/01/2013

bump

by Helen Lawsonreply 18908/04/2013

The two that immediately came to my mind have been mentioned: Bjork for DANCER IN THE DARK (one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen, period) and Murphy for DREAMGIRLS.

Other posts with which I agree: Chloe Webb for SID AND NANCY and Ellen Burstyn for REQUIEM.

One I didn't see posted (I may have missed it) was Marlene Warfield for NETWORK. What an absolutely amazing performance.

There are so many strong Oscar-worthy performances in "minor" movies that don't seem to make the radar: e.g., Ana Reeder in ACTS OF WORSHIP, Dominic Cooper in THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE...

Performances from minors such as Jodie Foster in TAXI DRIVER, Judith Vitett in CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, and Quvenzhane Wallis in BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD have me longing for The Academy to reinstate the Juvenile Actor award (wasn't there such a category for all of a minute decades ago? If not, create it!).

by Helen Lawsonreply 19008/04/2013

To have passed over Thelma Ritter so many times (most nominated supporting actress) is bad enough, but not to have given her the Oscar for her amazing turn as Mo, the grifter, in Pickup on South Street (for which she won at least European film festival award) was downright criminal. I mean, I like Donna Reed well enough and I realize she won a) for playing a bad girl and b) as part of the Eternity sweep, but really? Same with Agnes Moorehead in The Magnificent Ambersons--Teresa Wright, a fine actress in many things, got her award because it was wartime and she was in the most popular film of the year, Mrs. Miniver. An award to Wright for Shadow of a Doubt would have been more fitting.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19108/04/2013

Hello,

I think you have something that belongs to me.

I own this thread, repetedly.

Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button, rather than me in Revolutionnary Road ? Just to have him and Angelina Jolie walk down the red carpet as a nominated couple?

Nothing for me in Django Unchained, Shutter Island and The Departed ?

I didn't ask for an Oscar (well, I do, but that's not the point of this thread), just a nom, here.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19208/04/2013

Michael Keaton in "Night Shift." So funny as a pimp yet he never made Bill abrasive, he always had a familiar, even friendly vibe to him and we were with him from the start. Almost every line he spouts in the movie is quotable and then you realize it's his delivery that made them so memorable. It's hard to remember many movies that simply took off the second an actor appeared but Keaton in NS is definitely one of them.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19308/04/2013

Fun Oscar trivia.

In "A Star is Born", Oscar loser (for the role) Judy Garland plays Oscar winner Vicki Lester.

In "California Suite" Oscar winner (for the role) Maggie Smith plays Oscar loser Diana Barrie.

Any others that fit this equation?

by Helen Lawsonreply 19408/04/2013

Jean Seberg - Breathless

She created the blueprint for the late-20th century ingénue with this role. Wonderfully understated performance that still seems youthful and sexy today.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19508/04/2013

Jamie Bell in BILLY ELLIOT

by Helen Lawsonreply 19608/05/2013

It's Lauren Bacall losing the Oscar to Juliette Binoche. That was a fierce snub. As much as I admire Miss Bacall, she's been extremely difficult and has pissed off quite a few people. I think this is the reason she lost, with all due respect to Miss Binoche and her incredible talent.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19708/05/2013

Pacino in Godfather I and II . All Brando did was stuff cotton in his mouth.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19808/05/2013

Russell Crowe should have won for A Beautiful Mind and The Insider.

by Helen Lawsonreply 19908/05/2013

Russell Crowe should never have won for anything.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20008/06/2013

What a bizarre choice, r196. Just because "Night Shift" made a huge impression on you when you were 12 does not mean it was worthy of anyone else's praise or even attention. r202, Rusty did win for "A Beautiful Mind," keep up.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20108/06/2013

Still think Best Actress in 2011 was a crock of shit. Tilda Swinton and Charlize Theron should have made it over Glenn Close and Rooney Mara.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20208/06/2013

"I'll Plant My Own Tree" is astonishingly puerile, but I digress; the actual theme from "The Valley of the Dolls" is this dreck, appropriately sung by the King Sisters.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20308/06/2013

R202, he he didn't. He won the previous year for GLADIATOR. He was nominated three years in a row -- THE INSIDER (1999), GLADIATOR (2000), A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001).

by Helen Lawsonreply 20408/06/2013

That was directed at R204.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20508/06/2013

[quote]Rusty did win for "A Beautiful Mind," keep up.

LOL! He didn't win for A BEAUTIFUL MIND--he only won for GLADIATOR.

Keep up, yourself.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20608/06/2013

Poor Betty Bacall had to watch Binoche get that Supporting Actress Award twice - both in Hollywood at the Oscars and in London at the Baftas. Boy, she must have been pissed off.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20708/06/2013

Amen, R205. ALBERT NOBBS was ridiculous and Rooney Mara is no Noomi Rapace. That scene where Albert Nobbs is running down the beach in a dress had my friends and I howling!

by Helen Lawsonreply 20808/06/2013

I love this thread, I love every last one of you, and I'm so damn proud to be gay right now.

by Helen Lawsonreply 20908/06/2013

Divine deserved an Oscar nod for Hairspray. He gave Edna heart & humor and went far beyond a queen in a dress for aesthetics sake. He proved he was an actor with nuance and complexity.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21008/06/2013

Martha Vickers really should have won for "The Big Sleep." It was an OUTRAGE that she didn't.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21108/06/2013

You are wrong, r209. Rusty did indeed win for "A Beautiful Mind," the film was a sweep that year. Faced!

by Helen Lawsonreply 21208/06/2013

2001 - "Beautiful Mind" - Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actress (Jennifer Connelly - an awful choice, should have been Maggie Smith)

Best Actor - Denzel Washington ("Training Day") Best Actress - Halle Berry ("Monster's Ball" - another poor choice) Best Supporting Actor - Jim Broadbent ("Iris")

Not QUITE a sweep for "Beautiful Mind" (BTW, a highly overrated film)

by Helen Lawsonreply 21308/06/2013

Alistair Sim should at least have gotten two nominations (the best "Christmas Carol" film of all and supporting for "The Ruling Class" - one of the great comedy performances of all time).

by Helen Lawsonreply 21408/06/2013

R211, I wish someone would upload that scene to YouTube. I've heard so much about it, but I don't wanna watch the movie just to see it.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21508/06/2013

More recently, Dwight Henry for Supporting Actor for BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD. He definitely deserved it over Alan Arkin.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21608/06/2013

Meryl Streep for Into the Woods. Tragic.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21708/06/2013

Sean Astin in The Lord of the Rings, at least a nomination.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21808/06/2013

Is it my imagination, or is it a fact Katharine Hepburn has lost esteem since she died ten years ago? Prior to her passing she was considered one of the all-time greats, now she is seen as very limited.

by Helen Lawsonreply 21908/06/2013

R204, Keaton's performance made a huge impression and was highly praised by the critics, including Kael, Simon and Sarris. Kael called it a star making performance. The late LA Herald Examiner said it was a "travesty" that he wasn't nominated.

Keaton's wise ass character paved the way for others, especially Bruce Willis' on "Moonlighting."

by Helen Lawsonreply 22008/06/2013

Russell Crowe was TERRIBLE in "The Insider"! He played his scientist character like Stanley Kowalski! He wasn't believable for five minutes. I thought it was a laughable performance.

by Helen Lawsonreply 22108/06/2013

IMHO Marlene Dietrich should also have been nominated for Judgment at Nuremberg, along with or maybe even insteaf of Judy Garland. Her subtle performance was just as powerful as Garland's if not more so. Sometimes less is more.

by Helen Lawsonreply 22208/06/2013

Did Eddie Murphy leave the Oscars early because he didn't win ?

by Helen Lawsonreply 22308/06/2013

Am I the only one who thinks Christian Bale at the very least deserved a nomination for American Psycho? That was his best work, way better than The Fighter.

by Helen Lawsonreply 22408/06/2013

John Hawkins for "The Sessions"

by Helen Lawsonreply 22508/07/2013

Joan Allen, "Pleasantville"

by Helen Lawsonreply 22708/07/2013

Al Pacino was good in The Insider. Dog Day Afternoon he should have won.

by Helen Lawsonreply 22808/09/2013

Christian Bale should have been nominated if not won an Oscar in his very first movie Empire of the Sun.

by Helen Lawsonreply 22908/09/2013

Olivia Colman for Tyrannosaur

Sam Rockwell for Conviction

Ann Dowd for Compliance

I still cannot believe they teased poor Amy Adams with another nomination for a film she barely made a dent in, over Ann Dowd

Likewise, Helen Hunt was great in The Sessions but it's bizarre only she was nominated and not John Hawkes.

From this year it seems the Beasts of the Wild girl was chosen merely to do a side by side youngest/oldest nominee comparison. On the other hand, there wasn't really any viable alternatives. I wasn't quite won over by Marion to back a nod and I can't comment on Weisz but her movie was a 2011 release in the UK and ignored by BAFTA.

r205 definitely, but don't forget Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Marcy May Marlene Marlene which maybe suffered for being too similar to Black Swan.

The real Tilda snub was the years before that for I Am Love and Julia. Had she got in for Julia, she'd really have shown up the rest of the competition, the year Bullock won but it's the usual story: tiny studio that couldn't afford a campaign. Typical.

by Helen Lawsonreply 23008/09/2013

Rodney Dangerfield was shamefully ignored by The Academy for his roll in Natural Born Killers. The film itself was so-so but Dangerfield gave the most raw and most honest performance of that year. He let the audience into the psyche of the persona who was on the flipside of his comedic persona, and he was not a funny man. I this oversight stuck in the side Dangerfield, too, and it should have. He was brilliant.

by Helen Lawsonreply 23109/28/2013

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Joan Van Ark's AMAZING performance in "The Last Dinosaur." In the same year, the Academy inexplicably overlooked Gary Collins' riveting performance in "The Night They Took Miss Beautiful."

by Helen Lawsonreply 23209/28/2013

New York, New York for Best Original Song.

by Helen Lawsonreply 23309/28/2013

Miss Cillian Murphy was snubbed for her portrayal of a male in the beginning of Breakfast on Pluto.

by Helen Lawsonreply 23409/28/2013

Melanie Laurent should have WON for Inglorious Basterds. She wasn't even nominated.

by Helen Lawsonreply 23509/28/2013

Diana Ross for "Lady Sings the Blues". Liza had to win because of legacy

by Helen Lawsonreply 23609/28/2013

Adolphe Ceasar in a "Soldier's Story"'was criminally overlooked

by Helen Lawsonreply 23709/28/2013

Another vote for Rodney Dangerfield. He was great in Natural Born Killers. R235's attempt at making a funny just makes him or look stupid.

by Helen Lawsonreply 23809/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.