Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Downward Mobility

Does your family have branches like that, too?

My mom is one of eight first cousins; her father and his two brothers were both attorneys (as was their dad). She went to college, as did her two sisters, and their three cousins. One of my uncles went to college, and is retired from a professional position; however, his wife's extended clan in their small city backwater area are somewhat hick-ish; his kids are in their 30's with no sign of going beyond high school at all. My mother's other brother dropped out of high school in his senior year to join the navy, his kids - one regular HS grad (a supermarket checker in his 50's who not long ago said he "might like to go to med school"), one HS dropout, one kid (HS grad) with a good job, but is completely nuts, and one vocational school grad who did run his own business before his death a couple of years back; his ex wife's older son served time for armed robbery, and is back in again I understand, and my deceased cousin's kid was living in a household of relatives on his mom's side not far removed from a Jerry Springer cast.

If I sound snobbish, I'll accept that. But, I'm interested to hear how similar situations might've happened in other families.

by OPreply 1402/22/2013

You seem to be talking of a family of extended relatives and in laws who have not been able to achieve middle/upper middle class status, not progressive direct generations that become poorer and less educated.

by OPreply 102/22/2013

Such an obvious sophisticate as yourself, OP, doesn't seem like the kind of poster who would fail to break such a long paragraph into more readable chunks, say five lines each.

by OPreply 202/22/2013

R1 - those branches are less educated, which was my point.

R2 - I was afraid that if I'd done that, the post would've looked too choppy. If we could revise our entries, I'd take up your suggestion.

by OPreply 302/22/2013

I do fine with books, but on a computer, I can't read blocks of text that are more than five lines. A friend of mine who studies things like this for a living says it's true for most people.

by OPreply 402/22/2013

Is this more what you had in mind R2? Apologies, but not everything broke down to a five-line maximum.

My mom is one of eight first cousins; her father and his two brothers were both attorneys (as was their dad). She went to college, as did her two sisters, and their three cousins.

One of my uncles went to college, and is retired from a professional position; however, his wife's extended clan in their small city backwater area are somewhat hick-ish: his kids are in their 30's with no sign of going beyond high school at all. My mother's other brother dropped out of high school in his senior year to join the navy, his kids:

1) regular HS grad (a supermarket checker in his 50's who not long ago said he "might like to go to med school"). 2) HS dropout who has worked hard at jobs not requiring a diploma. 3) A HS grad (sort of) with a good job, but is completely nuts. 4) A vocational school grad who did run his own business before his death a couple of years back; his ex wife's older son served time for armed robbery, and is back in again I understand ... my deceased cousin's kid was living in a household of relatives on his mom's side not far removed from a Jerry Springer cast.

by OPreply 502/22/2013

The last paragraph is harder to read than the rest, but yeah, you've got the right idea.

by OPreply 602/22/2013

Blog -- get one.

by OPreply 702/22/2013

Yes, this happens in many families.

OP's list is basically a litany of his extended families' lack of accomplishment. Without any reflection on how this might have happened.

You've done very well for yourself, OP. That's basically what you want to hear, right?

by OPreply 802/22/2013

One thing we know for sure is that the OP should attempt to be a writer.

by OPreply 902/22/2013

My brother and I are both college graduates. I have a JD degree, too. His kids:

23 y/o daughter, high school dropout, pregnant, lost baby to social services. She's an emotional mess.

20 y/o son, also high school dropout, works at fast food restaurant.

Not bad kids, but my brother and especially sister-in-law made too many excuses for them.

Thank God I had parents who never gave me the option of dropping out. There would have been hell to pay.

by OPreply 1002/22/2013

Oh yeah. Parents who grew up in the great depression were too afraid of spending money to send the majority of their kids to college, so it's happened with my middle-aged generation.

The favorite son, who got a free ride through college is doing well as a corporate drone, but the rest of the siblings have dead-end blue-collar and pink-collar jobs. And cripping depression.

by OPreply 1102/22/2013

Yes, I know of children born to the upper classes that became plastic surgery victims, drug addicts, and disordered eaters. If left to their own devices, they'd parish with no money or success.

by OPreply 1202/22/2013

That's kind of different, r12. Those kind of fuck-ups are always out there. If they're indulged by the family with trust funds and whatnot they can still live the life. A friend of a friend is a 35 year old drug and alcohol addicted mess who hasn't worked a day in her life, yet her family still rents her her own house in Buckhead (Atlanta's richest neighborhood) and provides her with a luxury car to get her DUIs in. She's can be a blast, but a complete waste. I think downward mobility is more people who at least try, but can't achieve the level of success of the previous generation. Like the boss who is a very successful lawyer, but his kids are dog groomers or work construction.

by OPreply 1302/22/2013

My dad's entire family- sisters, nieces, nephews, etc. all spent decades on welfare. When that becomes more difficult to get, they'll switch to SSI. I guess they waddle into the offices and say they have diabetes or "bad nerves" or something, and they hook them up. Section 8 housing, food stamps, disability, child support... they add it all together and somehow get through the month. They're always fighting and moving in with each other and kicking each other out. Occasionally they'll make some money on the side but they never declare it. Literally dozens of relatives.

He's the only one in his family who never once was on assistance.

by OPreply 1402/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.