Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question About DC Comics' The New 52

A few things:

They rebooted all the books at #1. Wasn't this reboot suppose to allow people to pick up the titles with no knowledge of the characters, and start from a fresh new beginning? I decided to look at a few of them, and they really didn't give any explanations as to who or what was going on. It became sort of obvious that you had to already know the previous history of the character. I know they did an issue #0 for all the books a few months ago. Was that suppose to be the 'origin' stories to give new readers an understanding as to who the characters are, and their back stories? I would imagine it would also be for longtime readers, giving them knowledge as to who the characters are meant to be today.

Was Green Arrow always this young?

DC rebooted comics before, right? Wasn't there a name for that? I know each big change becomes an era that a string of the comics fall into, like Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis. Will the New 52 become a new era, like 'Bronze Age' or whatever?

Help me out here geekzoids! ;)

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013

In theory, yes, it was supposed to allow people to pick up new titles and understand the story with no knowledge of the character's histories. In actuality, it wasn't.

It depends on the writer. Some of them succeeded in starting #1 as a genuine beginning. Others couldn't help but not ignore the decades of history. And then others, well, they just couldn't write.

#0 issues were indeed origins. Basically, after about a year, people complained that shit was too confusing now, because only half the DC Universe actually got rebooted. The zero issues were meant to smooth things over and establish each character/titles role in this new universe.

No, Green Arrow was not always this young. Pre reboot he had a son about the same age he's portrayed now. Mind you, he's not the only one who was made younger. Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman. Basically, all the adults had a couple, or a couple dozen in some cases, years knocked off. Because god forbid characters grow up.

DC has rebooted before, sort of. Crisis on Infinite Earths did sort of reboot the universe, but at the same time, it didn't really erase 50% of the history. Likewise, there have been other Crises. Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis. These all mainly just altered the universe, whereas the reboot erased parts of it. The "______ Age" wouldn't be determined by something DC solely did. It's a term that would be affected by the comics industry as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2013

Thanks so much, r1.

I don't know if you saw Wonder Woman #0, but did they just use a past comic and put it into that one? I seem to recall it saying that it was from a different decade or something, and they were just reprinting it.

Justice League of America looks good, but Justice League, and then another book called Justice League OF AMERICA. That's really weird. I know there are multiple Batman titles, but did they really need to make another Justice League?!

I get the Bronze Age thing. That makes total sense, but could this become like The New 52 era, like the Crisis eras, maybe something people could refer to in future decades to come. I mean it really is a reboot.

One last thing, the origins -- did they do total revamps on anyone, in terms of history I mean? If so, which one had the greatest amount of change? I saw the Catwoman one, and they basically gave her the Batman Returns origin.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2013

[quote] Wasn't this reboot suppose to allow people to pick up the titles with no knowledge of the characters, and start from a fresh new beginning?

In theory, yes, but Batman and Green Lantern in particular barely had their continuities reset.

It also hasn't helped that DC editorial has been playing roulette with the creative teams. It's very rare for an artist and writer to stay on the same book for more than six issues or so.

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2013

Popular characters like Batman stay basically the way they were while less popular characters are drastically changed. Wonder Woman has had a revamp every few years, ever since she lost her powers back in 1968.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2013

[quote]I don't know if you saw Wonder Woman #0, but did they just use a past comic and put it into that one? I seem to recall it saying that it was from a different decade or something, and they were just reprinting it.

I think the writer wanted to make it seem like a reprint of an old issue, but it wasn't. It was all new.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2013

R2 Marvel has something like 12 Avenger and 15 X-Men comics coming out a month,so JLA at two isn't that bad!So DC should quit while they are ahead and just keep two.

R3 Voice, that's Bob Harras at work. He did a similar thing at Marvel. He gave his editors too much leeway there.Changing shit left and right. In addition, Morrison, Snyder ,Johns and a few others were given carte blanche to do whatever the heck they wanted. And others like George Perez had to suffer because of it.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2013

Speaking of the new 52, Scoot Clark artist of Deathstroke has died. I recently saw his name mentioned when Liefeld ripped his artwork on that title,one of the editorial differences that made him leave DC/The New 52.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2013

How did he die? I haven't seen it mentioned at all.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.