Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bea, Betty, Rue and Estelle on the Merv Griffin Show

Wow, I'm shocked by how close Bea and Betty seem. I thought they were mortal enemies. This interview is from early in the series. Did their relationship go south as the series aged?

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013

I really enjoyed this, OP. Thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2013

Up.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2013

In Rue's book, there was the anecdote about how Bea was pissed when Betty was the first of the cast's ensemble to get nominated for the Best Actress Emmy.

When Betty was promoting her book "If You Ask Me" she spoke about Bea in an interview:

"Bea had a reserve. She was not that fond of me.

"It was my positive attitude -- and that made Bea mad sometimes. Sometimes if I was happy, she'd be furious!"

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2013

Slight correction, r3 - they were all nominated for the first four seasons, it's just that Betty was the first to win (for Season 1, followed by Rue winning for Season 2 and Bea and Estelle winning for Season 3).

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2013

Also she wrote in Rue book on tape night, Bea never went to dinner break until Betty was ready, so they could go together.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2013

Why was Betty brought out first? And why was Betty cutting in on Bea's interview?

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2013

Merv brought out people he knew the longest.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2013

Can we call a moratorium on Golden Girls threads? Please, just one week.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2013

Was there a caftan fashion show later in the program?

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

r8 = Frieda Claxton

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

I don't think Betty was cutting in on Bea's interview, r6. First of all, I think it was general talk-show style back then for guests who had stayed on the couch from the previous segment to continue to participate in the conversation (unlike now on The Tonight Show where if the first-segment guest stays, he or she generally sits there silently while Jay and the second guest ignore him or her). And particularly when it was four actresses from the same show, I'm sure they wanted them all to keep talking.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

T

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2013

Just don't click on them, r8, if they bother you so much.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2013

I troll-dared R8 and am going to respond to every one of her insipid posts with a Golden Girls clip and the word "CUNT."

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2013

If someone dies on the stage who has to clean up the last bowel movement?

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.