Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When is the best time to quit?

I've been at nursing school for quite a long while now, constantly failing. My father who is funding me has decided to give me a talk.

He says that I haven't improved, not one bit over the past couple of years. He says even if I wasn't really good to start with, I should have improved over the amount of time I've had which is almost double the amount of time normal students have. He says that perhaps I wasn't meant to be in a science profession.

So, what about you? What advice can you give me? I know a number of posters on here are nurses.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2013

If you're real, get out now. You may eventually skate through and get a degree, but you'll never keep a job. It's a demanding profession and sooner or later you'll fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

Why is your dad funding you? Aren't you an adult?

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

Nursing school will flunk you out if you fail. You're not in nursing school at all.

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2013

When you're ahead.

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

I was student advisor on the academic committee in my nursing school and you do not get to "constantly fail" in nursing school. You're out if you fail one subject twice. If you fail two subjects, you're gone.

You do not get into nursing school at all if you have failing grades.

Try another topic, OP. You blew this one.

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

R3, I'm a direct from high school, nursing students so I haven't had a first career.

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2013

R4 ...what kind of nursing school are you talking about? Both registered nursing and licensed practical nursing give you second chances...almost every nursing school I know of do not flunk you if you fail a course or two or three or four...or even five.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

Ya R6, please check with your nearest nursing college. You do not get to fail one subject twice, BUT you can fail numerous different subjects. I have not heard of such a strict nursing college before. Can you please name the college which you work for?

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

How can you be "constantly failing"? Wouldn't they kick you out eventually?

Why are you pursuing something that you're clearly not cut out for? You do realize you'll be responsible for people's lives as a nurse? Do you think you'll suddenly become competent and knowledgable on the job? Don't you understand that if you can't get the hang of it now, you'll likely jeopardize people's health and lives as a "constantly failing" nurse?

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

R10 I still have two chances before I get the boot. A friend of mine failed every single semester and is still in the program.

Is it really that hard to understand? Yes, I realize that I may be jeopardizing other people's health, but it's a good job. I will always be able to get a job once I graduate plus the money's good and I like this job better than all the other jobs that I'm qualified for.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

My nursing program stipulated that if you dropped or failed a pre-requisite you can't get into the program. Once in the program if you failed a clinical course you could petition to retake it. If you failed it again, you were out of the program.

Nursing isn't like accounting. You're making decisions that can cause a great deal of harm, even death. You better have your shit together.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

[quote] Why are you pursuing something that you're clearly not cut out for

Because he's a troll, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

Are you in nursing school or just doing prerequisites? And License practical nursing is not the same as nursing school. Nursing school has set courses that have to be taken in order. I can't imagine you can fail a class and the same class be available the next semester. I can see License Practical Nursing programs letting someone take classes over and over

I went to Pharmacy school and we had classes such as Medicinal Chemistry 1 (fall semester)and Medicinal Chemistry 2 (spring semester). If you failed part one, it wasn't available until the following fall semester. And since you can't take part 2 until you pass part one, you've basically set your self back an entire year. I know nursing programs have classes similar to these

There are long waiting lists for nursing school programs. I can't imagine they would just let people keep taking and failing classes over and over when they have so many qualified students who want to attend. And like all medical programs, the state medical licensing boards keep statistics on the pass rates for state board exams. And these stats are a big deal for schools/programs. That's how they are rated. Schools with low first time pass rates are looked down on. Schools that have second attempt fail rates are even worse. No school wants to have a shitty pass rate on the boards

Vocational schools are something completely different. There are some very good vocational schools, but a lot of them are concerned about getting student's money. They aren't really concerned about their pass fail rates.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

[quote]Yes, I realize that I may be jeopardizing other people's health, but it's a good job. I will always be able to get a job once I graduate plus the money's good and I like this job better than all the other jobs that I'm qualified for.

If this is for real, it's plain that OP lacks the kind of character needed to be a nurse. First rule: give a shit about the patient.

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

So, what's the problem?

Are you just not studying or are you just stupid?

If it's the latter, stop wasting your dad's money and move on to something else...

retail, manual labor, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

Dear OP,

Thank You,

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!