Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Peter Bogdanovich started at the top

"The Last Picture Show"; "What's Up, Doc?"; "Paper Moon"... and worked his way to obscurity. Declared bankruptcy several times.

What happened to this former wunderkind?

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2013

He started out as an assistant director for Roger Corman, not at the top.

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2013

Dorothy Stratten happened to him. He made that one movie as a vehicle for her and it got flamed at the box office. He was so obsessed with her and then she died and he married her sister. He is a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

R2 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

What's Up, Doc? is still the funniest comedy ever made.

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2013

And not only did he marry Dorothy's sister, he started grooming her for marriage when she was 14. He got her a ton of plastic surgery to try and make her look like Dorothy but she never did. What a freak!

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

Just saw a repeat of his stupid performance on L&O CI....

Hugh Hefner playboy type who had plastic titty bunnies following him everywhere.

Rosanna Arquette was pretty good in it, though.

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

Glug glug snort snort screw screw smug smug whine whine = loser loser

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2013

Oh and he lost a lot of money after Dorothy died by buying all the rights to and copies of that movie he made with her. I heard that bankrupted him.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

His downfall started when he was with Cybill. They would go on talk shows and do magazine articles where they would talk about how great the other one was. Then came Daisy Miller where Peter proclaimed that Cybill was the only one who could act that role, and that Henry James must have written it with her in mind. They also flaunted their unmarried status constantly.

I wish youtube would post the John Houseman oscar win. Cybill substituted some of the nominees pictures for Bogdonovich films for laughs, but no one laughed.

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

He only liked Cybil when she was young. He's a freak. I'm sure he can't stand her now, and I'm sure she thinks he's really fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

I thought At Long Last Love was the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

He'a definitely a freak. His attempt at creating his own TRUFFAUT HITCHCOCK with Orson Welles is pretty interesting, but it will also make you squirm. Bogdanovich is both fawning and fake throughout. Orson Welles humors him, but you can tell he wants ro strangle him, too.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

His downfall began with Daisy Miller in 1974, trying to make Cybill a star. Then there was At Long Last Love.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

The 'musical' "At Long Last Love" (1975) happened long before Dorothy, and is considered one of Hollywood's notorious big-budget bombs- right up there with "Heaven's Gate" and "Ishtar".

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

The hype that accompanied THE LAST PICTURE SHOW was way out of proportion to his level of accomplishment at that point, and he believed his own publicity. In a sense, he became another Welles, though KANE and AMBERSONS are far greater achievements than anything Bogdanovich ever did.

His biggest problem was that while he loved old movies, his was more of a film critic's sensibility. He thought that by re-creating old movie genres that he was giving them new life, but he was mostly embalming them.

PAPER MOON and WHAT'S UP DOC? were big hits, but if you watch them again, they really aren't very good. They mostly get by based on the energy of the actors.

Then he tried to turn Cybill into an Actress/Star (rather like John Foster Kane tried to turn his second wife into an opera diva) and the poor thing wasn't up to it at all. Truly a folie a deux.

DAISY MILLER at least has some good actors in it, but AT LONG LAST LOVE is painful to watch between her amateurishness and Burt Reynolds' ineptitude. And it goes on forever, wrecking one Porter song after another.

I will say that one of his later films, SAINT JACK with Ben Gazzara, is pretty good, partly because he isn't making a pastiche of an old movie genre.

I believe MASK did well at the boxoffice, though the battles between him and Cher must have been something. Part of me thinks the real douche in that situation was her since she had a very inflated view of herself after SILKWOOD.

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

I had him on a flight with his wife, the sister of Dorothy Stratten several years ago. When I was taking meal orders I noticed that she had some popular book on her lap. Just making small talk, I asked how she was enjoying the book and he got very pissy and informed me that I was not to address her and that he would be speaking for her. His meal had that "little special something" that day.

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2013

[quote]John Foster Kane

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013

"PAPER MOON and WHAT'S UP DOC? were big hits, but if you watch them again, they really aren't very good. They mostly get by based on the energy of the actors."

YOU'RE NUTS. HUng up on actors, huh? That's why you don't understand these films.

WHAT'S UP DOC has nothing to do with the actors aside from Madeline Kahn. It's a film student's film by the numbers. It does hold up; was never a masterpiece. But in less skillful hands, it could have been a major disaster with the quirky dialog and complicate chase scene.

PAPER MOON is still excellent and acting (Tatum O'Neal????) has nothing to do with it, except in the case of Madeline Kahn again. Beautifully filmed in B&W with accurate 1930s period, it stands up wonderfully today.

I liked MASK, but everything else Bogdanovich did SUCKS. Burt Reynolds AND Cybil Sherpherd's pitiful performances in At Long Last Love gives migraines.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2013

Karma for dumping his talented first wife in the most public, humiliating way possible...for a strapping blond nincompoop in sweatsocks.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2013

[r16] what a creep!

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2013

There's the strong belief by many that Polly Platt was the one responsible for all the great films. His career took a nose-dive as soon as he left her, while Platt went on to a strong career and was production executive for James Brooks.

Being obnoxious when you don't have hits, doesn't help the situation.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2013

R16-not me

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!