Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tips for getting up early/on time in the morning?

This may sound elementary. But I work from home on my own schedule, and I've never been able to wake up properly. Without a mandatory office time, I repeatedly fail to wake up in a timely manner, hitting the snooze button and staying in bed until about 11. Given my druthers, I'd sleep until noon every day (I also stay up quite late).

Any advice on what I can do to finally change?

by Anonymousreply 6202/09/2014

Go to bed earlier.

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2013

Um. Set the alarm. When it goes off, don't hit snooze. Get up. Shower. Viola!

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

I used to get up and go to the gym right away.

Try to keep to a schedule. Don't turn on TV.

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

Adderall

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2013

Get a puppy. You'll have to get up to walk it.

Set a loud alarm clock in your bathroom or outside your bedroom so you have to get up to turn it off.

Go to bed earlier so you get enough sleep.

But if you can work on your own schedule, and you prefer to stay up late and sleep late, why change?

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

I'm the same way. I'll get up for others (work, family, friends), but never for myself.

If a friend needs me at 6:30 am, I'm there.

If I have a lot to do for myself, I'll still be in bed at noon.

It frustrates the shit out of me, but the cycle always repeats.

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

Figure out what your sleep cycle is. Most people go through one sleep cycle in four hours, then emerge from deep sleep. For me to feel rested, I need two four-hour sleep cycles. I try to be in bed and asleep by 1:00 a.m. in order to wake up with out a problem at 9:00 a.m.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

[quote]Um. Set the alarm. When it goes off, don't hit snooze. Get up. Shower. Viola!

Insert your own Meryl joke here.

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

[quote]Get a puppy. You'll have to get up to walk it.

And condemn the puppy to be resented and hated by its owner because he blames it for his struggle with the new morning routine? OP may want to change, but he will most likely be angry and frustrated for quite some time in the early stages of that habitual change process and take it out on the poor living thing consciously or subconsciously.

OP, find something that you can give to yourself as a reward when you wake up early. That can be a cup of juice, an extra jerk off session, a few more minutes in the shower, etc. See it as a game or challenge and focus on the good it will bring to you when you change. Make it a gradual process (start with one day per week and raise it to two per week, etc.) and make sure that you only give yourself the reward when you were successful.

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

[quote]Um. Set the alarm. When it goes off, don't hit snooze. Get up. Shower. Viola!

Why are you calling me? I'm not his fucking maid. Aibileen was just a character in a movie, ok?

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

Have the houseboy give you a morning blowjob at the precise time.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

I'm starting my "becoming a morning person" regiment myself (googling that phrase helped me with tips). I'm on day 2. I work from home about 3 or 4 days a week so I've got some bad habits to undo. I don't sleep in too late. Left to my own devices, I go to bed around 1am and wake up around 8:30am. The problem is that means on the days I do go into the office, I don't get there until after 10am. I also am a slow morning person in that I like to take my time and not rush.

Yes, the obvious is to go to bed earlier and that's been the hardest part for me. I'm getting into bed just before midnight but ideally, eventually, I'd like to be in bed before 11:30. Right now, it's taking a little longer than usual for me to fall asleep as I'm not very sleepy at midnight.

My bedroom light is on a timer to turn on at about 7. This is followed by an alarm radio at 7:10 and then my smartphone alarm at 7:15. The clincher is..for the two days what has gotten me out of bed is a alarm clock in my living room with an outrageously annoying buzzer. I have to get out of bed to turn it off before my cats freak out.

A cup of tea and a banana, feed the cats and then out for a brisk 30-40 minute walk if I'm working from home. If I'm going into office, I just get ready and my walk to the train replaces the brisk walk.

I'm on day 2 so yeah, I'm fully aware I'll be back to my usual bad habits by next week.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

"But I work from home on my own schedule"

Call-boy... You're missing a lot of early morning money, as guys like to stop off for the bj they didn't get at home.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

Alarm clock rug.

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

Do this to your alarm clock.

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

Isabella Rossellini wrote in her strange "Some of Me" book that Martin Scorsese's method for getting out of bed in the morning was to repeat, over and over, "Fuck it, fuck it, fuck it," like "an engine trying to turn over".

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

I was about to sympathise, because I am also self employed and not a morning person. But 11am?? I feel bad if I'm not up by 8. Get your lazy ass out of bed, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

I empathize. I have to get up at 4 am every day for my job. Yes, go to bed earlier. This was very hard at first as I am a night owl. But you get used to it: if you're up at 4 am, you're exhausted at 9 pm. I sometimes use Trazadone or Tylenol PM to get back on track but it's usually not necessary. Secondly, have 2 loud alarm clocks--one bedside and one across the room. Once up, do not return to bed no matter how difficult it is. Routine is important. I start the coffee and go to the shower.

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2013

Very timely thread. I'm in the middle of trying to get on a better sleep schedule and it's easier said than done. I'm sporadically working from home as well, after my job ended which had hours from about 10 AM - 7 PM (I could go in at 11 if I wanted). Since college, I've been a night owl. More like I am NOT a morning person. All of my jobs and habits avoid the early morning hours. Countless nights I am up until 1-3 AM reading, chatting, surfing the web, playing games. At one point, I was waking up so late that I'd only leave the house at 4/5 PM. Now I am in my 30's and want to wake up at 8-9 AM, and go to bed at midnight. Something kicks in around midnight though, and I am compelled to stay up watching TV or surfing the web. I guess I am addicted to information. I say "ONLY 15 MORE MINUTES" and an hour has passed. I also live alone and have some sleep/anxiety issues, so I think that makes it worse.

A couple of things I am trying: - Sleep app's for iPhone/iPad that monitor your sleep cycle - AVOIDING: caffeine, chocolate, internet, and TV late at night (yeah, right...) - creating a very dark sleeping space - determined to wake up at 8 or 9 AM despite wanting to sleep until 11 or noon. Know I'll be tired all day. - Ambien (ugh)

I am sick of feeling groggy and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 2002/21/2013

I'm retired and rarely get up in the morning before 12 noon or 1:00pm.

I've never been a morning person - not ever - and I've always been a night owl.

In the spring time when the mornings are so beautiful, I try to get up by 10:00am or 10:30 am.

Giving in to my own biorhythms and what feels natural, I sleep every day until 11:00am, 12 noon, or 1:00pm.

No matter what I do, my body always wants to sleep until those times.

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2013

Find something you'd really love to do early in the morning... Get a favorite drink at a coffee shop, or go out for a breakfast you love, or masturbate! Whatever. Is there anything you love to do that will get you to jump out of bed?

by Anonymousreply 2202/21/2013

I require 2 alarm clocks to get me up.

by Anonymousreply 2302/21/2013

I've tried caffeine pills in the morning, taking some of them when you wake up is easier than making and downing a coffee from bed; when you finally get up you can feel more awake.

These are like caffeinated M&Ms basically, also with like the same vitamins they put in the 5 hour energy shots. 4 M&Ms are equal to one coffee apparently

by Anonymousreply 2402/21/2013

I take a vitamin B-12 strip. I have them by the bed and as soon as the alarm goes off I take one and hit snooze. Ten minutes later I'm ready to get up. I love them because they work and they're cheap. I get 16 of them in a little platic case for a buck at the dollar store.

by Anonymousreply 2502/21/2013

Where were all these nightowls before electricity?

Oh thats right, SLEEPING!

by Anonymousreply 2602/21/2013

Why?

You could just work later into the day.

I've heard going to sleep later and later until you end up with an early bird sleeping schedule works. But in the process you spend several days being nocturnal.

by Anonymousreply 2702/21/2013

Why is this a problem for you OP?

by Anonymousreply 2802/21/2013

No TV in your bedroom.... EVER!

Go to bed at 11 or right after the news.

Reading "Moby Dick" in bed will put you out like a light.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2013

I'm with R28. I realized a long, long time ago that I'm a night owl. I've managed to make it work and I don't ever feel guilty about sleeping til 10am. I just work til 8, which is better for everyone as I'm much more productive from 5-8pm than I could ever dream of being from 8-11am.

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

Go to bed earlier. Set your alarm for 6 am. When it rings, GET UP. Do not linger and loaf. Take a cold shower. Get dress. Drink a cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

I agree with R22 about going out to your favorite coffee shop. However, I find masturbation works better for Insomnia.

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

R25, vitamins, including vitamin B-12, do not instantly affect your body nor do they affect your body in an hour, a couple of hours, or in day or two.

Vitamins build up your body and bodily functions over time.

There is no quick or instant effect to taking vitamin B-12.

It's all in your head. The placebo effect.

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

I get up every morning at 3:50am for work. I am NOT a morning person. The only alarm that has ever gotten me out of bed without fail has been the alarm on my Iphone. Not sure what about that alarm that does it but damn, I have never overslept since using it. Once you get into a new rhythm, it will be much easier. I cannot stay awake past 9 or 10pm anymore even if I pour gallons of coffee down my throat.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

Will you please tell me how to be an adult without my being an adult? Of course, like all asses in my generation, I expect someone else to take responsibility for me. Even as I have a life most people envy, being able to keep my own schedule and hours.

And after you get me up you need to make my bed and fix me breakfast. I like my pancakes cut up really small with lots and lots of butter. And clean my cat box. It stinks in here.

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2013

Look a the clock before you retire and say to yourself "get up in X hours" from then. It's not always comfortable or pretty but it works for me.

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2013

I was a night owl for about three years and it was super severe night owlism due to a night job. I didnt go to bed until 7am and woke at 3pm. I found that if I stay awake later than two or three hours after the sun goes down, my body goes into "I need to stay up until dawn" mode. I think that's a left over thing from caveman days when danger was near.

I started to wake up at 3pm, and crawl back in bed around 11pm, and sleep until 5am. At 5am I was super energized because I slept for many hours and would start my day. I could stay up until the evening and had a little caffiene if needed, and my problem was fixed within a week.

I also find that I sleep way better when I dont do "going to bed routines", especially when working from home.

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

Go to bed early and leave the curtain open. Your body reacts to natural morning light. after a couple of weeks, you will wake up naturally without needing any alarm clock.

This works best in summer because it gets brighter early.

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2013

How could you possibly sleep with the curtain open? That would creep me OUT! I wouldn't get a bit of sleep.

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2013

I was just thinking about this earlier and was wondering why, as a society, most people in most professions are required to get up early (and then, of course, go to bed early in order to get the needed amount of sleep), while in the meantime the average person swears that they're not a morning person and has a very difficult time with this. Obviously, it was necessary to be up at a certain time before electric light became a staple of our lives, but why continue this practice now?

Then I thought that maybe because a lamp in your own house at 11PM is often times actually a brighter and more in-your-face source of light than the morning sun peeking through behind clouds, a lot of us have actually been physically rewired to think that nighttime - when the brighter sources of light are more predominant - is actually when we're "supposed" to be up. I know that I feel way more alert at 11PM than at 7AM.

Maybe it's all bullshit. Just a thought I had.

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2013

If you really can't stop hitting the snooze button, you obviously need an alarm clock that isn't within reach.

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2013

Get a pet rooster.

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2013

[quote]If you really can't stop hitting the snooze button, you obviously need an alarm clock that isn't within reach.

You need to go to bed earlier, as well, as hard as that would be...

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2013

Some good stuff in r40.

by Anonymousreply 4402/21/2013

Another night owl here. I've been having a heck of a time for the past year when I got my first 9 -5 job in over 5 years. Spent the 5 years either unemployed or working a job where I worked either swing or graveyard shifts.

When I don't have a set schedule I naturally gravitate to sleeping until noon and being up until 3 am. Happens ever time.

I've been a mess since the new job. I don't get enough sleep. Sleeping pills don't help. I go to bed at the same time every night. I toss and turn and that frustrates me. I wake up ever morning tired.

I've been falling asleep in front of the TV.

Things got even more complicated when I got a roommate who was a morning person. I'm a light sleeper. I got woken up every morning at 5am.

I asked the roommate to move out. Going to see if I can get back on track.

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

Forever

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2013

Try going to bed earlier, like at 9 pm. You won't be able to go to sleep right away, so accept this.

If you have a TV in your room, put the channel on something like PBS and turn the sound off or really low. If you've taken out the TV, try putting the radio on low, but choose a channel that doesn't raise any emotion in you- I listen to Top 40, myself. While the radio is on, try reading something that won't get you excited to finish it . . . I recommend the library of Agatha Christie myself. Or a textbook that you think will interest you, only of course, it will put you to sleep.

Whatever you do, stay off the internet and any electronic games. Getting on the internet can be your morning treat with a cup of coffee, a nice, slow, easy start to the day.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2013

The best tip is to sleep with the TV on. When I hit the snooze button I can hear the TV and determine if I need to get up yet by whose voice I hear. If I still hear Kelly Ripa's voice, I know I can still sleep. If I hear the theme music to The View or Whoopi's voice then I know I better get up. If I don't have the TV on, I hit the snooze button 20 times and it's noon.

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2013

R13, here. Day 3. I actually woke up at 5:45, an hour and half earlier than my set time. I think it was the neighbor's cat running around upstairs that did it. I was tempted to get up and start my day really early but I was afraid it would be too much too quick and I would crash later in the day. So I stayed in until all four of alarms went off. Did my morning routine. I plan on keeping this schedule for a few more days and then pushing my alarms back 15 minutes. In a month, I'm hoping to wake up at 6:30. That will be a two hour shift from my recent wake-up time.

Then I'm going to have start a plan on how to stop wasting time on the internet and do my fucking job...

by Anonymousreply 4902/22/2013

it's all about going to bed earlier

stop wasting time on internet - I want to do that, too. Someone told me about setting an alarm clock ring to indicate when to stop (giving yourself a set amount of time on the internet 20-30 min or whatever)

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2013

I'm with R35.

Make something as easy as getting up at a reasonable hour a priority and it has a way of happening, no technological or pharmaceutical aids necessary.

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2013

Look up Displaced Sleep Phase Syndrome. It explained so much about my terrible, life-long sleep habits. Who knew it was a thing!

by Anonymousreply 5202/22/2013

I agree with R2 - getting a puppy is a huge help. It was a HUGE change to get up so early to take my wee girl for walks. However, I found if I left a nice neat line of cocaine on the dresser and had a go before I walked the dog I was nice and chipper for the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2013

LOL, R35!

by Anonymousreply 5402/22/2013

you have to find the perfect time for YOU to go to sleep. if i go to bed the least bit early, a half an hour will mess it up, i wake up very early.

by Anonymousreply 5502/22/2013

1. If you have an iPod-capable alarm, set it to use your favorite song. I use "An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno. Yes, it's super mellow, but it's a much more pleasant way to wake up than a blaring alarm, and it really does wake me up (it's one of my favorite pieces of music).

2. Put the alarm well away from you bed, so you *must* get up and walk to it to shut it off.

3. Do NOT push the Snooze button; DO keep moving, and continue on to your regular morning routine.

Putting the clock out of reach was key for me. I'm a lifelong insomniac who used to sleep through every alarm I met. This is the best solution I found.

by Anonymousreply 5602/22/2013

I'm sorry if this has been posted sooner, but I'm too impatient to read it all...

I've heard of an "alarm" clock that simulates morning light increasingly as the early morning sunrise goes on. The idea is that people are diurnal and have difficulties adjusting without some kind of "sunrise." You'd have to be tempted not to dash across the room and unplug it, though.

by Anonymousreply 5702/23/2013

More tips...

by Anonymousreply 5802/08/2014

Have two glasses of water when you go to bed. You will have no problem waking up.

by Anonymousreply 5902/08/2014

Have one of the servants stand close to your bed and whisper "Sir. ...Sir" until you get up. Works for me.

by Anonymousreply 6002/08/2014

OP, my only tip is to stick to a schedule, and don't make any compromises around that schedule.

I have had severe insomnia since I was a child, and the only way I keep it under control is by going to bed at the same time, and waking up at the same time, EVERYDAY. Yes, this includes weekends. I was raised by only my mother and she didn't give a shit about bed times, I never had one. My last year of high school I never slept, I think I got 2 hours of sleep only a few nights a week, and I went on like that until I was almost 22. I had to teach myself what would work best for me.

Some additional tips (that work for me): - Keep your bedroom cool (I sleep better that way) - keep your room dark - keep the sounds in your room consistent, if you like pure silence, make sure it stays that way; or if you like white noise, keep a noisy fan on or A/C and keep it on. No TV, no music (unless it's white noise) - don't chug a gallon of water before you sleep (you WILL wake up early and be dying to pee)

Remember, stick to your own schedule, DO NOT break it or bend it in any way. Soon you will get tired by bedtime, and always wake up at the same time (& without an alarm clock)

by Anonymousreply 6102/08/2014

Get the Clocky, the alarm clock that runs away from you.

by Anonymousreply 6202/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.