Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A duck has laid an egg in one of my flower boxes

and I accidentally scared the mom off. I hope she comes back. Anyone know anything about ducks?

by Anonymousreply 9006/30/2013

They're delicious.

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2013

They quack.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

Ooh, good material for a new book on Jemima Puddleduck.

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

How to Attract Ducks

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2013

R1, i just about busted a gut laughing at that one, although i probably shouldn't be!

OP, she'll probably come back for it and ducks, like geese, can be very mean. So if i were you, i'd leave the egg alone and stay inside if you're the kind type.

Goose eggs can be destroyed by spraying them thoroughly with vegetable oil, but you didn't hear that from me.

By the way, what did the duck look like? I grew up near my city's zoo and an obvious pair landed in our yard one year. I called the zoo and they told me to leave them alone, so it was nice to have their company for a while. The male was much fancier than the female, who was kind of plain.

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

It's a Muscovy R5. Not the prettiest ducks but the ducklings are still cute.

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

[quote]Not the prettiest ducks but the ducklings are still cute.

So the ugly duckling in reverse?

Abort! Abort!

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2013

Thanks, that almost looks like a chicken with webbed feet.

Looks nothing like the types I've seen in the eastern part of the country. My limited advice may not apply, except for the meanness factor.

Hope she doesn't want to nest in your flower box.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

Make way for ducklings!

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

Call your local animal control. They'll know how to care for duck eggs.

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

A duck or ducks got in a habit of laying eggs in my dad's bassboat that was docked at the lake (sits lifted off the water about 2 feet)

He would just toss them over. Pick grass next time.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

Just be careful not to be wandering about at time in earrings and caftan (gin & tonic in one hand, pruning shears in the other, Benson & Hedges long tipping out of your mouth) or you may imprint upon the hatchling.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

R12 you have just conjured up the image of my friend's mother in jr high and high school who looked just like that. Swear to god, she was a big lady who wore caftans and wigs all the time and walked around with a drink in one hand and a long cig hanging out of her mouth. They were Jewish and she sounded a bit like the Jewish guy's mom on BBT. Funny I never thought about her being an old queen stuck in a woman's body.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

A couple of years ago, two house finches made nests in potten plants on my front porch. (I called them "Lucy and Ethel", because of their constant brainless twittering.) I let them nest. I used the back door, put up a sign telling everyone else to go around the back, and let the plants die from lack of water.

"Lucy" raised a nest of chicks on my front porch, and I could hear them cheeping away when the windows were open.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

Each year a dove makes her nest on my brother's deck rail. She doesn't even blink when we walk by. Her feathers are a soft greyish tan, white tipped on tail and wings, with a little iridescence in the head feathers. Luckily there aren't any cats nearby.

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

r14 Awe, that's cute. This whole thread is cute.

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

R16 sicko attempt at humor

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

Saying that the Muscovy are "not the prettiest ducks" is an understatement. They're goddamn ugly, but smart & good natured. There's one that hangs out in a creek where I walk & I toss him bread from the bridge -- wish I could get closer, he's a fascinating guy.

Good luck, OP -- maybe you'll become a godparent.

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2013

Aww r19 they look cute to me, in a so ugly they are cute kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2013

OMFG, R16, that is horrible!

Do you rip the whiskers off of cat's faces, too?

by Anonymousreply 2202/21/2013

R21, the one I see in the creek is cute. He has a huge broad tail, which he spreads open like a fan & wags from side to side when he sees me arrive with the stale bread -- & he gets very excited about potato chips.

by Anonymousreply 2302/21/2013

Oh my god, you are killing me r23 he sounds so very cute. Him flipping out about stale bread and potato chips is cracking me up.

by Anonymousreply 2402/21/2013

We have a large group of ducks at the cottage. They stay near the shore and make the rounds of the whole lake. We feed them bread, chips, everything. They've become mooching pests. You can't laze about on a lawn chair with a good book without the ducks coming up and nudging you for treats.

by Anonymousreply 2502/21/2013

OP here. These ducks are everywhere in my neighborhood. They are not afraid of people unless you get too close. They will hiss and stretch their necks out when upset and wag their tails when happy.

The damn geese are mean though. One of them bit me on the ass one day while I was walking by.

by Anonymousreply 2602/21/2013

Muscovies are ugly but make good pets.

by Anonymousreply 2702/21/2013

Swans are the worst. My grandmother used to talk about kids losing fingers to nasty swans back in England.

by Anonymousreply 2802/21/2013

Be thankful you weren't feeding bears, r25.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2013

You shouldn't feed bread to ducks. It's not good for them. Cracked corn, or hen scratch, is best.

If I were to be reincarnated, I think I'd like to be a duck. Then, I would be able to walk, swim AND fly!

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

I live near a reservoir and there are many muscovy duck families along the shore.

Property owners generally like the muscovys.

The year 'round Canada geese on the other hand … flying shitting machines!

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

r30's post isn't helping me not think this thread is a big cutefest...

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

eat it

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

WTF Muscovy Duck? Are turkeys fucking pigeons now?

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

I like this thread, it has the potential to be Mount Everesty because now we are posting pics and talking about ducks. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2013

My favorite type of duck:

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2013

I remember getting laid in a flower box once.

Memories....

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

It's not the duck's egg. Ducks eat eggs. The duck stole an egg from another bird and was gonna make a meal of it.

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2013

Agree w/ the swan hate. The swan hiss is the last thing you hear before you die. They are Satan's beautiful handmaidens.

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2013

What a duck was doing in your flowered boxers, I'll never know!

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2013

Thirty minutes without a reply, so I thought I'd give this thread a goose bump!

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2013

We have them too, R29. And some neighbors are stupid enough to feed them. Smallish black bears mostly, not known for being aggressive, but they will be if given a food incentive. More destructive than dangerous, known for licking grease off barbecue grills.

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2013

r42 How fucking cute is your world? You get to walk around amidst cute bears and ducks..I am jealous.

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2013

Duck-the breakfast of champions! There`s no substitute for Duck!

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2013

Mmm, balut.

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

[quote]You shouldn't feed bread to ducks. It's not good for them.

R30, I've heard this before but I haven't been able to find confirmation or explanation. Obviously, they shouldn't have too much of it & should concentrate on their natural diet, but is there really harm from a little bit as an occasional treat? The ones I've been seeing for years seem to be thriving.

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2013

Now, wood ducks are good-looking fowl.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2013

Is this just another "People Who Poop In Stores" thread, only with euphemisms?

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2013

During breeding season, male Ruddy Ducks all suffer from blue bills.

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2013

The bread isn't harmful, it's the fact they get fat off of it. Ducks and Geese that eat it, tend to eat a LOT of it.

This means they fill up on bread and don't eat natural food, that they need. It's basically like giving a human potato chips and cake. They eat that junk food and don't eat the good stuff that has vitamins and protein.

In addition ducks and geese are sloppy and don't eat all the bread, this attracts raccoons and other predictors of the birds.

A similar problem is waste grain in the Midwest is causing Snow Geese to grow very fat. And it's a two fold issue where the geese that make it back up to the Arctic to breed (where they should be) are so healthy they outbreed everyone else. And some of the other Snow Geese, don't bother going further North, as the only reason they travel is for food. This causes over competition with local birds.

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2013

thug duck!

by Anonymousreply 5202/23/2013

Funny, R50

by Anonymousreply 5302/23/2013

R39, are you a writer? Poet? Seriously, and I mean it as a compliment! "Satan's beautiful handmaidens"? Wowwww - that's really a great phrase. (if someone famous wrote it and I'm clueless, I apologize!)

by Anonymousreply 5402/23/2013

I want an update! Did the duck come back for the egg? Has OP decided to parent it himself and is sitting atop the egg to warm it?

by Anonymousreply 5502/23/2013

[quote]Just be careful not to be wandering about at time in earrings and caftan (gin & tonic in one hand, pruning shears in the other, Benson & Hedges long tipping out of your mouth) or you may imprint upon the hatchling.

MANY years ago, my late gay uncle had a cottage about 20 miles out of our city on a lake. He lived there most of the year. He decided to raise ducks. Our family at the time was friends with the nuns at our family pariah. You need to know that.

One spring/summer day the good sisters were all out at his cottage enjoying the day. They were in their summer white habits. The baby ducks thought they were all Mom.

After that,my uncle would have to wrap himself in a white bed sheet to get them to follow him back into their pen.

by Anonymousreply 5602/23/2013

[quote]He decided to raise ducks. Our family at the time was friends with the nuns at our family pariah. You need to know that.

I love auto correct.

by Anonymousreply 5702/23/2013

Well, that egg was abandoned by her after I scared her off but now she's back and has laid 4 eggs. All my newly plated flowers were of course dug up by her, the little shit. She sits on them at night but seems to be gone by mid morning. My fear is they will hatch and fall out since they are 12 feet off the ground. I thought all duck nests were on the ground since the babies can't fly.

by Anonymousreply 5805/20/2013

[quote]Just be careful not to be wandering about at time in earrings and caftan (gin & tonic in one hand, pruning shears in the other, Benson & Hedges long tipping out of your mouth) or you may imprint upon the hatchling.

That was the first 'earring & caftan' reply that I've even remotely smiled at in the past 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 5905/20/2013

I had a duck couple come to my house for 2 springs. The second spring our pool wasn't open yet so they dumped us for another house whose pool was opened up.

by Anonymousreply 6005/20/2013

I just bought a big bunch of green garden stakes to put around my plants because the wandering neighborhood guinea fowl run like maniacs through my flower beds trampling everything. They aren't looking for bugs to eat (and I've got millions of sowbugs they could gorge on) they just use it as a thoroughfare. My plants are up against hedges that he guineas like to shelter under in the rain.

Between the guineas and the rabbits and the chipmunks and the squirrels, I'm forever patting plants back in place and pulling out sprouts from buried birdseed. I just looked out my window and my neighbor left some bowls on her patio table. A seagull is eating out of one. Earlier, a blue jay was eating off of a plate. I have no idea if she deliberately left food out for them or if she put her lunch out there and then got called away.

by Anonymousreply 6105/20/2013

[quote]My fear is they will hatch and fall out since they are 12 feet off the ground

We have several options here:

1. Spikes on the ground below

2. Trampolines

3. You can build a customized ADA-compliant ramp (1:12 grade)

4. Poached

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2013

[quote][R30], I've heard this before but I haven't been able to find confirmation or explanation. Obviously, they shouldn't have too much of it & should concentrate on their natural diet, but is there really harm from a little bit as an occasional treat? The ones I've been seeing for years seem to be thriving.

Actually, it can be a problem. I wasn't aware of this until recently when it became an issue in a local park, the one I used to feed ducks at when I was a kid. This park is hugely popular and the ducks lived almost exclusively on bread. A few years ago I had noticed that some of the ducks had feather shafts from their wings sticking up in the air. They looked like huge tail fins from a 1950s car.

Fast forward to earlier this year when I began seeing homemade flyers carefully wrapped in plastic sleeves asking people to please not feed the ducks bread because it causes nutritional deficiencies that causes "Angel Wing Disease" the tail fin feathers. It was verified by the avian sciences dept. of a local university. The city put up formal notices forbidding the feeding.

It's not so much a problem if they get bread occasionally, but it became ridiculous at this park. I'd see a few people who would come with five or six loaves of bread to feed the ducks and geese.

by Anonymousreply 6305/20/2013

Aforementioned duck nest.

by Anonymousreply 6405/25/2013

It's too bad it wasn't a cat taking a dump in your flower box. Once it's dry you can carry the turd in your pocket for good luck!

by Anonymousreply 6505/25/2013

I wouldn't mind having an Anaheim Duck in my flower box.

by Anonymousreply 6605/25/2013

Gwyneth will take it.

by Anonymousreply 6705/25/2013

Quack bump.

by Anonymousreply 6805/26/2013

Did the mother come back? Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6905/26/2013

We have one who nests about 3 feet from the front door of our office building. When you open the door you could literally bend down and touch her head, but she sits perfectly still right between two bushes, and no customers have ever noticed her.

All the women in the office toss her scraps, and she's at the point where she calmly eats them. This her third year, but no one ever sees the ducklings, because she vanishes as soon as they hatch.

by Anonymousreply 7005/26/2013

What's the life span of a city park duck? Three or four years?

by Anonymousreply 7105/27/2013

LOL R65!

by Anonymousreply 7205/27/2013

Did you put it in your pocketOP? The egg?

Over in the Washing Pants thread that's what the OP did with cat shit - put it in his pocket. So maybe you should do the same!

by Anonymousreply 7305/27/2013

How are the pre-ducks doing?

by Anonymousreply 7405/29/2013

Muscovy ducks are so cute and friendly. I want one for a pet.

by Anonymousreply 7505/29/2013

r58

A 12-foot drop will not injure the ducklings. They are amazingly tough.

by Anonymousreply 7605/29/2013

Does nobody care what happened to the little guys?

by Anonymousreply 7706/06/2013

[quote]In addition ducks and geese are sloppy and don't eat all the bread, this attracts raccoons and other predictors of the birds.

Me too, R57.

by Anonymousreply 7806/06/2013

I've had several humming birds that nest in a tree in my backyard. Once they lay the eggs, I take them. They're really cute hardboiled and placed on caviar.

by Anonymousreply 7906/06/2013

I think the eggs are getting close to hatching. When mama duck left the other morning for her daily feeding I looked and I could see big dark spots through the shell.

Mama on her nest.

by Anonymousreply 8006/23/2013

Got duck-ettes yet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8106/29/2013

Don't worry about the ducklings falling, OP. I saw this documentary not too long ago that showed some type of duck that nests in holes in trees, far above the ground.

When the time comes the mama duck calls to the ducklings from outside. One by one, they respond by jumping out of their home and fluttering/falling to the ground. They are so light and fluffy that they don't get hurt at all. Don't ask me how they get back up again - I must've changed the channel. Maybe that's when they learn to fly.

by Anonymousreply 8206/29/2013

Practice . Sit on them carefully and wait until you hear quacking

by Anonymousreply 8306/29/2013

Not yet R81 but I can see yellow and dark stripes beneath the shells so I think it's very close to hatching time.

by Anonymousreply 8406/29/2013

r82

The ducks that nest in trees are called wood ducks. All ducklings are precocious. That is, as soon as they hatch, they are very mature and can feed themselves. Therefore, they leave the nest shortly after hatching and never return to the nest.

by Anonymousreply 8506/29/2013

That's a wonderful picture, R80. Do you see the dad at all? With Canada geese, & I think also with Mallards, the father brings the mother food while she's on the nest & may even sit on the nest himself sometimes -- I always see them with the family once the babies hatch.

by Anonymousreply 8606/29/2013

Any babies yet?

by Anonymousreply 8706/30/2013

Yessssss, the eggs are very tasty.

by Anonymousreply 8806/30/2013

Balut!

by Anonymousreply 8906/30/2013

Watch out for snakes!

by Anonymousreply 9006/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.