Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Laura Bush wants out of pro-gay marriage ad

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2013

[quote]The former first lady appears in the ad along with other high profile political figures including President Obama and Dick Cheney. But Bush says she was included without permission and wants to be removed from the ad.

Laura Bush isn't happy she's being used in a new pro-gay marriage ad. The former first lady is one of several public figures - including President Obama and Dick Cheney - who make cameos in a new ad campaign by the Respect for Marriage Coalition. Bush's appearance in the ad comes from an appearance she made on CNN in 2010. "When couples are committed to each other and love each other then they ought to have the same sort of rights that everyone has," she said at the time.

But Bush is asking that she be removed from the ad, according to The Dallas Morning Newslaura. Bush "did not approve of her inclusion in this advertisement nor is she associated with the group that made the ad in any way," spokeswoman Anne MacDonald said.

"When she became aware of the advertisement last night, we requested that the group remove her from it," MacDonald said.

The ad, backed by a $1-million campaign on TV, in print and online, argues that "a growing majority of Americans believe it's time to allow marriage for gay and lesbian couples."

by Anonymousreply 5002/23/2013

What a cunt

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2013

She's a public figure. She made this statement publicly. Before the ad was released, one could see her make this statement online at anytime. Her permission is not required.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

Fuck her

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

typical Republican, "THE PARTY COMES FIRST" mental illness

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2013

Reminds me of the Cheney's not attending his lesbian daughter's wedding because it would attract media attention.

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

If this were Michelle Obama, I'm sure the log cabinettes would be shrieking like the cunts they are, but then, hypocrisy has always been their strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

Republicanism is just an Organized Crime family. They don't stand for anything in particular.

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2013

An important question I would like answered would be:

During what appearance on CNN in 2010 did she make the statement?

Does anyone know?

Lash me with a wet noodle if it's in the NYDailyNews piece.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

Newsflash: Republicans are selfish assholes. Unless it personally affects them, they don't give a shit. And even when it personally affects them, they still don't think anyone else should benefit or they think when they do it or need it, it's different.

The only reason Nancy Reagan supports stem cell research is because of what Ronnie went through. She wouldn't give a shit if she didn't witness the hell of Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

I'm thinking it doesn't matter. I'm more bothered with inclusion of Dick Cheney and anyone else who served in the Bush administration -- especially given they used the LGBT as a campaign piece for the 2004 Bush/Cheney re-election campaign. So, Laura Bush or no Laura Bush ... I don't give a shit. The increasing acceptance of marriage equality is happening without them.

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

nasty woman. nasty decision.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

Speaking of people who should get the chair, the statute of limitations on murder is...well, there isn't one. She could get the chair for killing her ex-boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

Bravo, Pickles. You're finally learning!

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

R12, that stayed in the back of mind after first learning of it.

It escapes me how as Laura Welch she wasn't even given a traffic citation for speeding and failing to stop for a stop sign that resulted in the accident that killed her ex-boyfriend.

Sure stinks, doesn't it?

That wasn't the only the only cover-up that occurred in Texas in November 1963.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

Sorry i garbled that last post.

Texas is also the only state in the USA i know of where a man convicted of first-degree murder received a suspended sentence in the 20th century!

I guess like the old Florida tourism slogan, the rules are different in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

She wants to take back what she said about gay marriage, yet continues to stand by the lies her husband told about Iraq's WMD?

Fuck her. Fuck her with something hard and sandpappery.

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

I always wonder how these things get this far before someone decides to protest. Really? Nobody thoght to ask her permission? No Lawyers around? Hmmm..

Perhaps Pickles just had second thoughts, sobered up and just said 'no'.

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

vile

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

BFM = BUSH FAMILY MAFIA

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2013

I don't think she's taking back what she said about gay marriage. I think she's just pissed that a group she doesn't know or have any affiliations with is using her image & interview without her permission.

by Anonymousreply 2002/21/2013

[quote]Reminds me of the Cheney's not attending his lesbian daughter's wedding because it would attract media attention.

Which daughter was that, Uday or Qusay?

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2013

[quote]Nobody thoght(sic) to ask her permission?

Her permission is not needed.

by Anonymousreply 2202/21/2013

I knew I didn't trust her when she claimed to support gay marriage, especially considering since she wasn't for it while her husband was in office. Looks like she changed her mind AGAIN.

Don't trust Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2302/21/2013

r23 but "Fair Use Law" can go either way in a court of law as shown in that article.

Her attorney could argue that her image and interview was appropriated & it's likely she would win.

Further, she's no longer a public person, she's stepped back into private citizenry but that could be iffy.

by Anonymousreply 2502/21/2013

So she's for gay marriage when it's abstract and a long ways off. So when it's imminent her true feelings emerge. She's dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 2602/21/2013

[quote]She's dead to me.

So she used to be alive to you?

by Anonymousreply 2702/21/2013

[R24], oBAMA changed his mind too

Yeah, while he was IN office, which took guts. Laura didn't say a damn word the whole time her husband was in office, so who cares what she says now?

by Anonymousreply 2802/21/2013

[quote]Her attorney could argue that her image and interview was appropriated & it's likely she would win.

But she doesn't hold the copyright on the interview, so she has no standing.

[quote]Further, she's no longer a public person, she's stepped back into private citizenry but that could be iffy.

If she is a not a public person, she would not make public statements. She made the statement on the Larry King Show. Second, all the ad is doing is reporting word for word what she said. If they changed what she said that would be a different matter. You cant go on television, make a statement, then cry foul when someone quotes what you said.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2013

exactly.

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

Obama changed his mind for our votes. As for his mind changing, with politicians we never know especially when they don't have to worry about another election.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

She's a HE, right? I mean, I always assumed, but....

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

Sour Pickles

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

say what?

remind me what PPSM stands for again?

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2013

Suck it Cabbies, your party is morally corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2013

"I don't think she's taking back what she said about gay marriage. I think she's just pissed that a group she doesn't know or have any affiliations with is using her image & interview without her permission."

I agree with that.

I would also say that as a public figure who went on television and made these views publicly known, she has no grounds for objecting to a group she doesn't know or affiliate with using her image and statements without her business.

That is part of being in politics. And she knows it.

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2013

What good does it do to have the quote if that's not how she really feels about it?

Don't we want supporters that truly believe in our rights? Not somebody that paid lip service for whatever reason at one time.

If that's not how she views gay marriage then screw her. There are other more evolved people (even Republicans) that do believe in our cause.

Those are the people I want featured.

by Anonymousreply 3702/22/2013

The risk you run when you presumptuously use someone's name and imagine for your cause or campaign.

by Anonymousreply 3802/22/2013

The risk you run when you go on national television and say something that is recorded for prosperity.

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2013

[quote]The risk you run when you go on national television and say something that is recorded for prosperity.

Oh, dear me.

by Anonymousreply 4002/22/2013

So Republicans who tried to claim credit for her (and other individual Republicans') alleged "support" for gay marriage, while at the same time backing a party that rabidly opposes gay marriage for political traction among paleo-conservatives: what's your new talking point? That even now she "really" supports gay marriage, she's just a little miffed at the unauthorized use of her image? But any day now, she will permit the authorized use of her image to promote marriage equality--right? And, uh, yeah, uh, OBAMA!

You are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 4102/22/2013

indee

by Anonymousreply 4202/22/2013

Can we use her image on drinking and driving?

by Anonymousreply 4302/22/2013

Actually Obama never changed his mind. He has been for gay marriage since he said so as a Senator. Basically he played a political game: See L Lincoln and slavery, see FDR and American involvement in the 2nd WW before Pearl Harbor.

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2013

[quote]I would also say that as a public figure who went on television and made these views publicly known, she has no grounds for objecting to a group she doesn't know or affiliate with using her image and statements without her business.

Exactly. Think of all those Republican attack ads that used clips of Obama. You can imagine the reaction if Obama called Rove and said, "Hey buddy, you will have to remove that ad because I didn't give you permission"

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

Laura Bush is a douchebag and hypocrite--like all the Bushes. Her nephew (Jeb's son, George) is running for political office in Texas. So Auntie Laura is taking political cover to help the nephew with the homophobic bigot vote in Texas.

Laura said what she said. Was she lying then or now?

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2013

I never liked that woman.

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2013

g

by Anonymousreply 4802/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.