Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just made a vat of chicken stock

There was a great recipe for chicken stock a couple months ago (R1,link below). I have chilled it and removed the fat and have a big pot of chicken jello. I understand this is good but am not sure how to proceed. Should I save some of this jello and what is it good for? Should I keep the fat and what should I use it for? I would like to reduce most of it and keep it in my tiny freezer for soup and stew making.

Thanks for any advice.

by Anonymousreply 3102/25/2013

Dear god, OP, when you said that, you reminded me of Ina. Our contessa is NEVER without her chicken stock. She uses it for everything. How did you think she got that great complexion? Chicken stock.

OP, freeze it in smaller containers. It can be used in a variety of dishes with good result. Everything from risotto to... whatever.

Google Ina Garten & chicken stock. It will shock you how versatile it is. Seriously. When you're cooking, when a dish calls for water, or some other liquid, just ask yourself "What would Ina do?" No, I kid, but when a recipe calls for water, you can usually use chicken stock for a better result.

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2013

[quote]when a recipe calls for water, you can usually use chicken stock for a better result.

Maybe not strawberry jello...

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

Wow, an atypical R1--funny and helpful. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

Unless you're really partially to fried potatoes, I'd throw out the fat.

The stock, however, is a gold mine.

Reduce it drastically -- to about one-fifth of the original volume. Freeze the stock in ice cube trays. When frozen, pop them out and put into zip-lock freezer bags.

Use it to make rice, soup, sauces...lots of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2013

Never throw out the fat.

Use it to fry potatoes, or on bread with fried onions and salt. Chicken fat is good food.

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

Chicken fat may taste good but it KILLS!

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

Pour it down the commode and go out to eat!

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2013

Chicken fat is better for you than vegetable oil or Canola oil.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

I run schmaltz all over my body to keep it youthful and to attract my elderly husband.

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

Chicken Fat!

(you have to be over 50 to get this one - anyone else remember?)

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

If a recipe calls for water, use some chicken stock mixed with water.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

Make some minestrone before you freeze it. Look up Marcella Hazan or maybe Ina Garten.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

So you made chicken stock (which is easy as pie- slow boil/simmer a chicken carcass/bones, with celery carrots, onions perhaps a bit of fresh garlic for at least 4 or 5 hours/ then strain, or don't if you are going to take out the boned and add more stuff for chicken soup) and you do not know what to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

... salt and pepper to taste...

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

Can you imagine what today's Republicans would make of R11's song? "Communist indoctrination of our children!" "America's version of Hitler Youth!"

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

It's great for risotto. We didn't feel like going to the store last night so I rummaged around the pantry and refrigerator for dinner last night. I made porcini mushroom risotto with caramelized onions and fresh sage.

Used frozen stock from the freezer that was left from poaching chicken for chicken salad, fresh sage from my patio garden and freshly grated imported Parmesan.

Delicious, if I do say so myself.

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

Thank you for all these replies. R14, you're a dense git. I am asking for alternate uses for what I have (fat and gelatinous stock) before reducing and freezing it as usual.

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

I'm R1 from the stock thread. I'm so glad you made it!

Chicken fat can be used for frying meat and vegetables, greasing roasting pans, and adding a little chicken flavor to dishes. Use small bits of it (like butter) to flavor an otherwise vegetarian dish -- rice, steamed vegetables, or noodles with squash. It can be even be in egg salad and chicken salad the way mayonnaise is used. Also use it in place of butter when you're making a roux.

The chicken "jello" can be reduced down very far, then frozen in ice cube trays, which you can later transfer to baggies. That way you can just take out one or two cubes to build a sauce with, or a few more for a soup.

The great thing about the gelatinous stuff is that it adds marvelous mouth-feel to gravies and sauces without adding any extra fat.

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2013

Why don't you just inject it right into your ass? Cuz that's where it's going.

by Anonymousreply 2002/21/2013

R19, I was hoping you'd show up! I'm reducing as I write and have kept a couple quarts to make your healing soup as everyone around me is sick. I'm leaving out the cabbage as it doesn't agree with me.

This by far is the best stock I've ever made, totally worth the effort. I never imagined the combination of roasted and raw would produce such a great result. Thank you.

Thanks also to everyone who had ideas about schmaltz. I'm health conscious but hate to waste.

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2013

With "jello" and "vat," I just hope the meth lab in the adjacent room ignites the whole mess and takes this creepy OP with it.

by Anonymousreply 2202/21/2013

[quote]Why don't you just inject it right into your ass?

I'd never thought of using it as a lube. Is it safe to use with condoms?

by Anonymousreply 2302/21/2013

r19...if you are making a vegetarian dish DON'T put chicken stock in it.

by Anonymousreply 2402/21/2013

You're left with a lot of overcooked chicken when you're done.

by Anonymousreply 2502/21/2013

My cats eat up every morsel.

by Anonymousreply 2602/21/2013

Chicken soup typically has overcooked chicken in it. Still so much better than any canned variety.

Old-school cooks use the chicken fat to pan fry chicken, or hash browns, or even veggies. Add garlic and onions as well.

by Anonymousreply 2702/21/2013

Sure, you can use some of the breast meat for soup, but two whole chickens is a lot for stock. It had better be good.

by Anonymousreply 2802/21/2013

OP, thank you for your kind words. You have no idea how happy you've made me.

by Anonymousreply 2902/24/2013

I buy chicken breasts on the bone and bone them myself if I need boneless. I throw the bones in a bag in the freezer and, when I have enough, I use them for stock. I also throw in the wings, if they come attached to the breast. That way, if I'm making chicken soup, I just poach chicken in the already prepared stock and it doesn't get overcooked.

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2013

I also do what r30 does. Works great.

by Anonymousreply 3102/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!