Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Catherine Tate

Her British series is offered on Netflix now, and we recognized her from The Office (here in America), so we watched some episodes. They're funny. Is she popular in Britain? Is she beloved?

by I'm above it thoughreply 2902/22/2013

Totally!!! Not only for her comedy work, but also for "Dr. Who". Also enormously popular in Australia. Am I bovvered?!?!?!?!

by I'm above it thoughreply 102/21/2013

And these days for her theatre work too. She's been in a number of very successful and well reviewed(not always the same thing) plays since she left Dr Who.

by I'm above it thoughreply 202/21/2013

How very dare you! Just because a man lives with his mother and knows all the lines to "All About Eve" you think he takes rear deliveries. I find you impertinent. Come Leonard ....

Stand back - the eggs are not organic !

What a fucking liberty !

I AIN'T BOVVERED !

"I can do that ..."

Belfast accent: "Our Sean is a gay man now".

by I'm above it thoughreply 302/21/2013

Who dear? Gay dear? Me dear? No dear! How VERY dare you!!

by I'm above it thoughreply 402/21/2013

'Am I bovvered?' at the Royal Variety was very funny

by I'm above it thoughreply 502/21/2013

Her depictions of certain types of bitchy and malevolent women are terrifyingly accurate. Matt Lucas got a lot of grief for his teenage "chav" character Vicky Pollard but Vicky's a harmless fluffy bunny next to Tate's Lauren Cooper ("Am I bovvered?" is a phrase she uses in a vicious, interrogatory way to needle and bully people.)

by I'm above it thoughreply 602/21/2013

Her closeted gay man( Derek Faye ?) who keeps denying he is gay though everyone knows he is, is another accurate rather vicious stereotype - a lot more so than Matt Lucas's Daffydd, "the only gay in the village".

Some of her sketches go on a bit too long and dont work, but when they do are terrific, like anything with the foul old Nan.

by I'm above it thoughreply 702/21/2013

It's silly, but I *love* the character who screams in surprise at everything.

by I'm above it thoughreply 802/21/2013

I adored the pathetic character who married a death-row inmate in Texas and claimed to be pregnant by him. "Pregnant in what sense?"

by I'm above it thoughreply 902/21/2013

She's a has-been. She was popular in the early 200s. She repeats the same line ten billion times. Not funny. Lazy. She is no Tracey Ullman and never will be. She credits Tracey for being an inspiration, but she can't hold s candle to her talent.

by I'm above it thoughreply 1002/21/2013

The Disgusted Couple. "The dirty robbing bastards!"

by I'm above it thoughreply 1102/21/2013

[quote]"I can do that ..."

by I'm above it thoughreply 1202/21/2013

[quote] She is no Tracey Ullman and never will be. She credits Tracey for being an inspiration, but she can't hold s candle to her talent.

Harsher words were never written.

by I'm above it thoughreply 1302/21/2013

Did you hear about our John?

by I'm above it thoughreply 1402/21/2013

Her Much Ado About Nothing with David Tennent was a delight.

by I'm above it thoughreply 1502/21/2013

OP: Now you have to watch Doctor Who, Season 4 (available on Netflix). Tate's Donna Noble was my favorite Who companion. If you want just a taste, we first meet her in the episode called "The Runaway Bride", which should be the first episode of Season 3. (She initially declines to be his companion, which is why we have to wait a season to get more of her.)

by I'm above it thoughreply 1602/21/2013

Much Ado

by I'm above it thoughreply 1702/21/2013

Best Tennant-Tate scene evah:

by I'm above it thoughreply 1802/21/2013

Loved the Catherine Tate "Lauren" scene she did with David Tennant for a Children in Need special. "Are you The Doctor?"

by I'm above it thoughreply 2002/21/2013

She "killed off" her Lauren "Am I bovvered?" character. That was sort of brave.

by I'm above it thoughreply 2102/21/2013

Generally, on this thread at least, she seems more popular than not. Yes, it was brave (and timely) to kill off Lauren. BTW at the royal variety, didn't Lauren ask the Queen . . . . " is one bovvered? "

by I'm above it thoughreply 2202/21/2013

I love her. She's brilliant.

by I'm above it thoughreply 2302/21/2013

Very talented. Funnier than your average TV American comic but not in the class of a Ricky garvias or Jennifer Saunders/Dawn French and many other British comics.

by I'm above it thoughreply 2402/21/2013

Nan's description of someone with a lazy eye:

"One eye's lookin' at ya, the other's lookin' for ya."

That still cracks me up.

by I'm above it thoughreply 2502/21/2013

Shit-Ake? I mean, what kind of name for a mushroom is that??

by I'm above it thoughreply 2602/21/2013

What a load of old shit!

by I'm above it thoughreply 2702/21/2013

They call her "Cathy Taint" in Britain.

by I'm above it thoughreply 2802/21/2013

No we don't, R28. Now go piss off, ye sad twat.

by I'm above it thoughreply 2902/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.