Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I was Rob Lowe's Snow White.

Eileen Bowman finally breaks her silence on the infamous 1989 oscar opening number, and how it pretty much destroyed her career.

What a shame. No wonder Michael Musto called Lorna Luft's rejection of the offer to do it "The best career move ever made".

----------------------------------------------

Once upon a time -- March 29, 1989, to be exact -- a 22-year-old aspiring actress named Eileen Bowman thought that all her dreams were about to come true. She was very wrong.

By all accounts, a global debut on ABC's telecast of the 61st Academy Awards should have been an auspicious launching pad. Instead, playing Snow White alongside Rob Lowe in a musical debacle, she instantly found a place in Oscar infamy.

The campy live number, arranged and conducted by Marvin Hamlisch, was as over-the-top as the man who masterminded it, Grease producer Allan Carr, a bombastic Hollywood oddball famed for wearing caftans and hosting debauched parties at his disco-equipped house in Benedict Canyon. (That residence, Hilhaven Lodge, is the current home of Brett Ratner, leading some to joke that the place is cursed, at least where producing the Oscars is concerned.)

As a costume-clad Bowman made her way through the Shrine Auditorium, chirping a high-pitched take on "I Only Have Eyes for You" and greeting such mortified stars in the audience as Tom Hanks, Dustin Hoffman, Michelle Pfeiffer and Sigourney Weaver, it quickly became obvious that Carr had laid a dinosaur-size egg.

by Anonymousreply 14702/23/2013

An oddball famed for wearing what?

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

cont.

"She had a look on her face, if I remember correctly, of pain," Martin Landau tells THR. Nominated that year for best supporting actor for Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Landau, now 84, was one of the few who gave Bowman a warm reception. "It wasn't her fault," recalls Landau. "I empathized with her. Poor Snow White. She didn't have the dwarves to support her."

As the sketch bombed on for 15 agonizing minutes, dancing tables wackily re-created the post-Prohibition Cocoanut Grove nightclub, Merv Griffin performed his 1950 hit "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts," and a befuddled parade of decrepit screen stars emerged before Lowe took the stage as Snow White's "date."

The actor, then 24, would soon be working overtime to rehabilitate his image after a sex-tape scandal derailed his career several months later. But when the Academy approached him to play Prince Charming, Lowe later explained, "I was a good soldier and did it." A shower-caliber singer at best, he struggled to stay on key as he duetted with Bowman on an extended "Proud Mary," its lyrics changed to, "Keep the cameras rollin', rollin', rollin'." By the time a kick line of movie theater ushers sang, "Whenever you're down in the dumps, try putting on Judy's red pumps," the audience had endured all they could take. As the camera panned the room, Robert Downey Jr.'s look of disgust summed up the reaction.

In its review, The New York Times declared the show had earned "a permanent place in the annals of Oscar embarrassments." Carr was uniformly shunned at industry canteen Morton's the following day. Disney, which then had no stake in ABC, was furious over the unauthorized use of its copyrighted version of Snow White and filed a lawsuit against the Academy. And 17 Hollywood heavyweights -- among them Paul Newman, Gregory Peck, Julie Andrews and Billy Wilder -- signed an open letter deriding the telecast as "an embarrassment to both the Academy and the entire motion picture industry."

Carr, hurting from back-to-back flops Can't Stop the Music and Grease 2, never worked in Hollywood again. After years of declining health and alcohol and drug abuse, he died in 1999 of liver cancer at his home in Beverly Hills.

In a THR exclusive, Bowman, now 46, relates in her own words the tale of how she became Snow White for one bizarre night, about which the Academy now maintains a sense of humor. When approached for comment, COO Ric Robertson said: "We're pleased to join The Hollywood Reporter in saluting the 'Snow White Incident' on its 24th anniversary. This important piece of Hollywood history should never be forgotten."

♦♦♦♦♦

I've never spoken publicly at length about this. I basically fell off the turnip truck from San Diego and landed in L.A. I went for what I thought was an audition for Beach Blanket Babylon at the Beverly Hills Hotel; they gave me 15 pages of music to learn. I auditioned, and [director Steve Silver] said, "We want to see if you fit into the dress." There was a Snow White outfit and a hairstylist and makeup person. I got dressed and made up, and they said, "Now we're going to go somewhere." There was another girl there, too. So you have a Mercedes with two Snow Whites in the back, and we were told, "Close your eyes, you can't see where we're going."

Our first stop was Allan Carr's house. I remember his swimming pool had pink water in it. He had a 30-foot Oscar outside his door and auditioned us in a robe. The other girl and I looked at each other thinking, "What is happening?"

Our next stop was Marvin Hamlisch's office. We were told to hold hands and walk down the street so people would go, "Ooooh." We auditioned and were whisked back to the hotel. In the elevator, Steve Silver asked me, "How are you with famous people?" I thought, "Well, they're like anybody else." He said, "You got the job." I said, "Oh, great!" He said, "Do you know what this is for?" I said, "Beach Blanket Babylon!" And he said: "No, honey. This is for the Oscars."

I rehearsed for a week-and-a-half. It was my first AFTRA job, and I was paid scale, $350 a week. They brought Rob Lowe in to be my Prince Charming. He was wonderful. He could see where things were headed at the dress rehearsal and took me aside and warned: "You need to be careful. There are sharks in the water, and you have to be really careful who you work with after this." He had never sung before and was kind of insecure about that, so we bonded.

Our rehearsals were on the Fox lot, and they were closed. I mean, like Fort Knox. And the producers knew exactly what they had in me. I wasn't asking questions. They came up to me daily and said, "You should be paying us for this."

I remember Bob Mackie said, "Why am I making a Snow White outfit?" I fainted once during a fitting because I hadn't eaten. I woke up, and Bob was going, "Honey, are you all right?" He gave me juice. My dress was bought for $23,000 by someone involved with the production who was buried in it. It was a man. I'm leaving it at that.

The show itself looked like a gay bar mitzvah. Middle America must have been like: "What is going on? There are dancing tables, there's Snow White singing with Rob Lowe, there's Merv Griffin with people with coconuts on their head!"

I was told not to go to Robin Williams in the audience because God knows what he would do. But running down that aisle, all I could see were the back of heads, and I was thinking, "I'll just go to Kevin Kline!" But they were sitting one row apart, and I accidentally went up to Robin. I was like: "Abort! Abort!" Martin Landau grabbed my hand with both of his, and he just looked at me; he was precious. Tom Hanks was wonderful. But all these poor people were like, "What the hell are you doing?" That number was 15 minutes long from start to end, and I remember looking at Rob Lowe, going, "It's finally over!"

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

Backstage, my bodyguard whisked me to my room. I ran into Glenn Close. She said, "Well, hi, Snow White." I went: "I can die now. I just ran into Glenn Close's bust."

I was immediately told that they wanted me to go as Snow White to the Governors Ball with Rob Lowe. That's when I put my foot down. I said: "I'm not going to be your little doll dressed as Snow White at the Governors Ball." I went to my dressing table and was taking my costume off, and there was Olivia Newton-John using my blush -- which I still have. She was my idol, and she turned to me and said: "How did you ever do that? How did you ever get out there in front of that many people and do that?"

After that, I showed up at my sister's in L.A. to say goodbye, and she was like: "You're crazy. Do you know how many people would pay for this opportunity?" I said, "Let 'em." I went home to my own bed in San Diego and woke up to a lawyer at my door at 8 o'clock in the morning with a folder full of papers that I had to sign. One of those was the gag order. I thought I had done something wrong, so I was scared not to do what they asked of me. I signed a piece of paper saying 13 years -- I don't know why that was the number they chose. [An Academy lawyer doesn't remember any such action.]

I remember sitting in my condo after being served the papers, watching the news -- and the Snow White number was all that was on the news. I had no idea. My phone never stopped ringing. It was awful. All I can say is what Rob Lowe said, "Never trust a man in a caftan."

Bowman still lives in San Diego with her husband. She stars in the long-running Pete 'n' Keely at the Lamb's Players Theatre on Coronado Island.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

[quote]My dress was bought for $23,000 by someone involved with the production who was buried in it. It was a man. I'm leaving it at that.

Heh

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

I doubt it could've ruined her career. What it didn't do is launch her career, as she'd hoped. She was a nobody in a costume, nobody knew who she was before or after.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

She was "Tour Guide" in "Killer Tomatoes Eat France."

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

"Never trust a man in a caftan"

Wiser words never spoken.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

This is so fucking fabulous I could just plotz.

Funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

Here it is. She was fine, Rob is who sucked..

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

After the Academy Awards, she performed as Snow White in the Las Vegas Production of Beach Blanket Babylon for a while.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

[quote]As the sketch bombed on for 15 agonizing minutes, dancing tables wackily re-created the post-Prohibition Cocoanut Grove nightclub, Merv Griffin performed his 1950 hit "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts," and a befuddled parade of decrepit screen stars emerged before Lowe took the stage as Snow White's "date."

Having never seen it: HOLY SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2013

{quote]And the producers knew exactly what they had in me. I wasn't asking questions. They came up to me daily and said, "You should be paying us for this."

Oy. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2013

[quote]My dress was bought for $23,000 by someone involved with the production who was buried in it. It was a man. I'm leaving it at that.

You just KNOW it was Allan Carr!!!

After all, it was because of him that the DL meme of "Earrings. Caftans." originated.

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2013

I always knew Martin Landau had to be a wonderful guy.

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2013

You need to see it, R11. It's painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

This is just as bad as most everything the Academy showcases...

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2013

"decrepit screen stars"

Which ones?

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2013

Yeah. Was it any worse than all the stuff they always have?

Plus now we have TV full of Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo and Intervention. And they give the Oscar - best song to It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp.

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2013

[quote]someone involved with the production

MERV.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2013

Would he have been able to fit in it?

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2013

"Would he have been able to fit in it?"

He fit in my gowns, dahlink.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

A friend of mine was a Disney exec, and he told me once that Disney knew full fucking well about Snow White, and the lawsuit was just cover to give them some distance from the disaster.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

Roddy McDowell?

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

I don't understand why Snow White had to be in the skit. So random.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

Eileen Bowman is a great actress. She works all the time in San Diego theatre. I just met her a couple of weeks ago at an awards show in San Diego. Too bad she couldn't have set the record straight sooner.

The Hollywood 'pros' who were responsible for that opening number should have known better. But Eileen was fine, and she's become a wonderful performer. The Oscars should have her back--if she'll have them.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

The entire opening was based on the San Francisco show Beach Blanket Babylon. Alan Carr was a huge fan of this show, so when he was asked to do the Oscars, he hired Steve Silver, the creator of BBB, to basically recreate his show as the opening of the Oscars.

Beach Blanket Babylon involves Snow White looking for her prince, and on the way bumping into a lot of off-the wall characters, mostly culled from modern pop culture. It's all hip and amusing in a small club, but considerably less so when millions of people are watching it on television.

Beach Blanket Babylon is STILL running in San Francisco!

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

"No wonder Michael Musto called Lorna Luft's rejection of the offer to do it 'The best career move ever made'."

Right, because all those career successes Lorna has had since 1989 would never have been possible...

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

Oh, sure, we always get the shaft. Blame it all on us.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

[quote] Would he have been able to fit in it?

You can fit into just about anything once you're dead. After all, no one is going to see the back.

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

It is so terrible that it's difficult to know who the hell gave it the green light. I was embarrassed to watch, over 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2013

There's another production number later in the show that's almost as painful to watch. Something about Young Hollywood with (bad) singing and (bad) dancing and young wannabes showing insane amounts of enthusiasm not seen outside of an Up With People performance.

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2013

"Never trust a man in a caftan."

This should be DL's tagline.

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2013

For fuck's sake, OP, post a goddamn link.

I don't think some of you realize how media works now. Clicks generate income. That's why Huffington Post rewrites news stories from other sources, so you give HuffPo your click, not the New York Times.

In this case, this was a well-reported, very interesting story. Every click on the original story tells the Hollywood Reporter that people are interested in stories like this -- especially longer, more in-depth pieces.

Don't any of you understand why now, more than ever, it's important to support quality journalism?

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

It wasn't THAT bad - although I fast forwarded through a lot.

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2013

Hamlisch probably warned off Lorna.

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

I'm surprised Marvin Hamlisch was involved with this train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2013

Allan Carr: The man, the drugs, the parties, the caftans, the pretty boys and the party animals

Was the 1989 Oscars really that bad? The Rob Lowe/Snow White number was over-the-top campy. If you Google it today—more than 20 years later—you’ll find at least a dozen websites where you can view it. So it still strikes a nerve. However, a much worse production number, “The Breakout Superstars of Tomorrow,” is in the telecast’s second half. In it, young performers like Christian Slater and Patrick Dempsey cavort around a big Oscar like it was the golden calf.

by Anonymousreply 3702/20/2013

Arranging and conducting the music don't make Hamlisch responsible for the staging. Once he committed and contracted to the music side he probably couldn't have backed out upon seeing the staging.

by Anonymousreply 3802/20/2013

Yeah, what r33 said!

by Anonymousreply 3902/20/2013

I'm too lazy to read all that.

by Anonymousreply 4002/20/2013

r40 do u have fas like me?

by Anonymousreply 4102/20/2013

Thanks for the thread, OP.

I'd mentioned this article in the Oscar ballot thread and am glad to see someone made a thread about it.

Unfortunately, this one misfire caused the Oscar telecasts to be deadly dull for years to come.

I'd much rather see Franco and Hathaway fall on their faces than watch another 5 minutes of the embalmed Billy Crystal.

by Anonymousreply 4202/20/2013

Snow White? I like blue!

by Anonymousreply 4302/20/2013

[quote]I'd much rather see Franco and Hathaway fall on their faces than watch another 5 minutes of the embalmed Billy Crystal.

Why doesn't Billy get himself a good wig and draw on some eyebrows? Also, he's one of those people that NEEDS facial hair to distract from the ugliness!

by Anonymousreply 4402/20/2013

I agree that it wasn't that bad. I'm a person who loves old movies that is really crappy they said those old movie stars who were introduced were decrepit!

However, I can't stand Rob Lowe! I alwys thought Rob Lowe was a major nerd,and boy, with that clip that he was in, I rest my case!

BTW, Allan Carr was extremely gross and a complete creep!

by Anonymousreply 4502/20/2013

I'm pretty sure this is a picture of the voter!

by Anonymousreply 4602/20/2013

[quote] I agree that it wasn't that bad.

Who the fuck are you agreeing with?

by Anonymousreply 4702/20/2013

R47, I'm agreeing with R34.

by Anonymousreply 4802/20/2013

R47 just had an aneurysm - and R48 helped!

by Anonymousreply 4902/20/2013

R49, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 5002/20/2013

THANK YOU R33.

Jesus. Not posting your source is such lazy bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5102/20/2013

She needs to get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 5202/20/2013

I agree, r32! Webmasters, please!

by Anonymousreply 5302/20/2013

[quote] it pretty much destroyed her career

No it didn't. She never had a career before that. Check out the link to her IMDB page. She hadn't done any projects before her Snow White performance. No one knew who she was before and no one really paid any attention to her during the stupid snow white performance. Everyone was so shocked that Rob Lowe was involved in this that they didn't pay any attention to her. Her picture could have been on the front page of the newspaper the next day and no one would have made the connection between her an the snow white debacle. And she should have left this off her acting resume. She's average looking and she's an extremely forgettable, mediocre "actress". She wasn't going to be the next Meryl Streep

And you can view her resume from the IMDB page and she STILL continues to list her Academy Awards Snow White role. That and her break through roles in the local theaters in Sand Diego and Coronado

by Anonymousreply 5402/20/2013

[quote]By 1989 punk rap and Guns n' Roses had broken

Punk didn't "break" until 1991.

by Anonymousreply 5602/20/2013

It's shit but the Oscars are always shit. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 5702/21/2013

I think Billy looks like Maya Rudolph

by Anonymousreply 5802/21/2013

Do we see Nathan Lane in the Allan Carr biopic?

by Anonymousreply 5902/21/2013

We do, R59.

by Anonymousreply 6002/21/2013

Who would play the young Rob Lowe?

by Anonymousreply 6102/21/2013

Beach Blanket Babylon is a piece of shit and always has been. San Franciscans think it's a local treasure but its embarrassing. And Steve Silver was a complete douche. Carr was an idiot to hand he whole opening over to him - it was Silver who came up with the sorry idea for that whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 6202/21/2013

Civilization is an illusion. Of course it's collapsing.

by Anonymousreply 6302/21/2013

[quote]That and her break through roles in the local theaters in Sand Diego and Coronado

R54. Just so you know...

Okay, San Diego isn't Los Angeles or New York; however, San Diego has a more vibrant and active theatre community than LA. San Diego is the third leading city in the country to send shows to Broadway. There are big theatres here, small theatres, major regional theatres, gay theatres, alternative theatres, a Shakespeare Festival each summer, theatres run by women and dozens of theatre companies throughout center city, North County and South Bay.

Regarding commercial shows, "Rent" started in San Diego as did "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," "Jersey Boys," "It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues," "Tommy," "Memphis," "I Am My Own Wife," the recent revival of "Jesus Christ Superstar," and the list goes on.

Eileen Bowman along with hundreds of other actors have worked steadily in San Diego. Just so you know.

by Anonymousreply 6402/21/2013

[quote] San Diego has a more vibrant and active theatre community than LA.

This is laughable. At any given time there are at least ten times the number of productions in LA.

by Anonymousreply 6502/21/2013

If "San Diego is the third leading city in the country to send shows to Broadway." who is the second?

NY ? San Diego

by Anonymousreply 6602/21/2013

[quote]There are big theatres here, small theatres, major regional theatres, gay theatres, alternative theatres, a Shakespeare Festival each summer, theatres run by women and dozens of theatre companies throughout center city, North County and South Bay.

It is spelled theater, you stupid San Diegan cunt. T-H-E-A-T-E-R.

by Anonymousreply 6702/21/2013

I too hate when Americans spell theater as theatre. Even my spell check just underlined it in red. One time several years ago, some fool was trying to convince me that theatre was for plays/musicals and theater was strictly for movies. Um... no.

by Anonymousreply 6802/21/2013

theatre:

by Anonymousreply 6902/21/2013

R69, did you see where it says (US) theater?

by Anonymousreply 7002/21/2013

O.M.G.

I can't get my jaw off the floor after watching that number. A veritable parade of excruciatingly bad ideas. Merv singing "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" while introducing all those ancient stars who looked like they were disinterred a half hour earlier, the dancing nightclub tables, Rob Lowe singing, the annoying snow white - and were those three drag queens who came out doing the conga at one point? And who was that heifer who joined them toward the end to sing? And what was the significance of Snow White looking like she melted while wearing a big hat?

It's truly one of the most awful things ever. I wish it were available in a clearer clip!

by Anonymousreply 7102/21/2013

[quote]theatre was for plays/musicals and theater was strictly for movies

Actually, that is exactly how it works!

by Anonymousreply 7202/21/2013

In that Youtube clip, you can translate the narrator saying to the non-Americans, "Even we have no fucking clue what's going on. Those crazy Americans, yes?"

by Anonymousreply 7302/21/2013

The English have always spelled it "theatre" for everything. Then, within the last 60 years or so, "theater" starting cropping up as the American spelling. The NY Times spells it "theater," list the ABC listings are all for "theatres."

by Anonymousreply 7402/21/2013

It's not R72. Even the dictionaries differentiate saying theatre is chiefly British and theater is American.

by Anonymousreply 7502/21/2013

This sums up the 80s completely: pure crap.

by Anonymousreply 7602/21/2013

I seriously don't understand what's the big deal?

How is this any different from all the crap they put out every year?

by Anonymousreply 7702/21/2013

This was the same Oscars ceremony where Lucille Ball made her final public appearance, presenting alongside Bob Hope.

by Anonymousreply 7802/21/2013

R74, every major American publication spells it theater. As I said, even my spell check underlines "theatre" in red.

by Anonymousreply 7902/21/2013

If this had happened in 1979 instead of 1989 it would have been considered a triumph.

Pop culture irony hadn't quite reared it's smart-assed little head yet.

by Anonymousreply 8002/21/2013

Would the ridiculous spelling queens STFU? There are variations. Neither one of you is wrong. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 8102/21/2013

Based on the article, she seems to have "destroyed" her own career by leaving Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 8202/21/2013

No, r80 - you'd need to go back to 1959 for that thing to pass muster - and even then most of it would be laughable.

Although "Proud Mary" wouldn't have sound quite so out of place in 1979, the rest - ancient stars and ancient showtunes - most definitely would have.

by Anonymousreply 8302/21/2013

I can understand why the show was over done outrageously. Beach Blanket Babylon is suppose to be an over the top, tongue and cheek, kind of campy, humorous production. They usually wear these outrageous hats depicting San Francisco or some other place, and outrageous costumes. They look like drag queens ,but usually they are women who are the main female characters.

Here is a link to their website.

by Anonymousreply 8402/21/2013

Here's the "Stars of Tomorrow" segment.

It never ends!

by Anonymousreply 8502/21/2013

I think it's genius. I mean, all Academy Awards Shows suck, it's just that they suck at a forgettable level.

Carr obviously realized that nothing he could possibly do would change that, so he decided to attack it head-on.

The fact that the audience, in theory a room fill with Hollywood's most talented entertainers, was almost completely unable to get with the fucking program and help this poor woman out turns it into a real case of the Emperor's new clothes, and exposes it for the sham it really is.

by Anonymousreply 8602/21/2013

To me, Eileen Bowman's "Snow White" voice sounds more like Lina Lamont from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

by Anonymousreply 8702/21/2013

Wasn't the guy who created "Beach Blanket Babylon" - one gay show- not even gay? Or he never came out and swore he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 8802/21/2013

That was so bad I think it gave me cancer.

by Anonymousreply 8902/21/2013

There's a San Diego community theater defending troll?

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 9002/21/2013

[quote]There's a San Diego community theater defending troll?

There can't possibly anything worse in San Diego than a production of ORPHANS starring Shia LaBoeuf.

by Anonymousreply 9102/21/2013

The saddest thing about "Bright Young Stars" is that the closest any of them got to an Oscar was having his wife forget to thank him during her acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 9202/21/2013

I don't know why that specific Oscars is always singled out. Yes, it was bad, but A LOT of the Oscars from that era were. My ex-boyfriend had every Oscar on DVD from the 1970s to the present and some of the production numbers were just appallingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 9302/21/2013

You'd have thought they'd let Norma Desmond out for the Coconut Grove number.

by Anonymousreply 9402/21/2013

The use of the old legends was MUCH better than the year they had all of these ancient names parading down a staircase in odd combos. I think that was in the 1970s. They really didn't get it right till the year they had them on risers and did a family album.

by Anonymousreply 9502/21/2013

[quote]My ex-boyfriend had every Oscar on DVD from the 1970s to the present

Which probably explains why he's your EX-boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 9602/21/2013

Just seen it for the first time in that youtube link at [R7]

Love the bit about 7:40 where it cuts to the audience after Proud Mary. Cybill Shepherd, Robert Downey Jr and Gregory Hines all clapping but their faces are like "WTF was that hot mess?"

by Anonymousreply 9702/21/2013

Sorry meant youtube link at R9

by Anonymousreply 9802/21/2013

I think the link at R85 is really embarrassing! WOW!

Some of you can't be anti gun after watching that!

by Anonymousreply 9902/21/2013

BTW, Corey Feldman was so annoying and corny trying to emulate Michael Jackson back then all the time, major eye roll!

by Anonymousreply 10002/21/2013

Yes, that Snow WHite number was God-awful, but so have a lot of the interpretive dance numbers over the years, especially one or more where Debbie Allen choreographed dancers doing "interpretations" of each of the nominated films. Dear. God. In. Heaven.

Back to the theater/theatre debate for just a second: the artistic director of a small theater(re) company in SF once told me that it was his understanding that "theatre" refers to the whole concept of theatre and "theater" refers to a specific theater building/edifice.

WHatever...

by Anonymousreply 10102/21/2013

"I think it's genius. I mean, all Academy Awards Shows suck, it's just that they suck at a forgettable level."

You think that fiasco was "genius?" Boy, are YOU mentally challenged!

There's bad and then there's bad, but that whole show was really, REALLY over-the-top, totally absurd, stupid, pathetic BAD.

Whose bright idea was it to put that repugnant, caftan-wearing little toad Allan Carr in charge of an Academy Awards show? What did they think he would come up with except something in execrable taste? What the hell was wrong with Marvin Hamlisch that he would create such a turkey of a number? Was it his insane idea to have some poor girl dress up like Snow White (Snow White? What the hell did SNOW WHITE have to do with anything?) and sing a a slightly altered version of "Proud Mary (John Fogerty should have sued their asses off) " with Rob Lowe? Were all these people so out of it on cocaine that they actually believed this was going to be a marvelous night of entertainment?

I remember attempting to watch this telecast when it first aired. I turned it off in less than ten minutes, horrified. I thought at the time: God, what an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 10202/21/2013

Don't blame it on Hamlisch. Beach Blanket Babylon's Steve Silver was the "genius" behind that whole opening montage mess,

And Silver was gay, but when he was in his last couple of months (dying of AIDS), he married a good friend, Jo Shuman, to protect his little empire.

by Anonymousreply 10302/21/2013

What's funniest about "Stars of Tomorrow" is that it's basically a tribute to nepotism

Joely Fisher & Tricia Leigh Fisher - daughters of Eddie Fisher and Connie Stevens

Patrick O'Neal - son of Ryan O'Neal

Tyrone Power Jr. - self explanatory

Carrie Hamilton - daughter of Carol Burnett (RIP - died of cancer in 02)

Tracy Nelson - daughter of Ricky Nelson

Matt Lattanzi - Olivia Newton-John's husband (he was already 30 here!)

And the piece de resistance - At the time this was filmed, Corey Parker was Patrick Dempsey's STEPSON. He married Corey's mother Rocky, who was 27 years his senior, in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 10402/21/2013

Patrick Dempsy is a good dancer!

Savion Glover is amazing but what is he wearing?

Ricki Lake is kind of adorable.

Blair Underwood has a really nice voice.

Holly Robinson can't sing to save her life.

And the number on a whole is AWFUL just dreadful.

But I'll take it over boring Beyonce or Adele.

by Anonymousreply 10502/21/2013

[quote]auditioned us in a robe

It.

Was.

A.

Caftan.

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10602/21/2013

(R54) That's an ignorant attitude.

She's clearly a very good musical theater performer. Even in that embarrassing situation she was acquitting herself pretty damn well. She's actually, under the circumstances, as charming as she can possibly be.

If she's a good performer, why wouldn't she make a good and stable life for herself doing musical theater in an area with a thriving community where she will be paid well and appreciated? Why would she stick around L.A. where she found herself being paid nothing by men in caftans to humiliate herself?

This idea that every artist needs to be a star is killing the arts. This is why we have to suffer all these terrible T.V. actors doing bad jobs in musicals.

by Anonymousreply 10702/21/2013

But r54's point was it didn't kill her career, not that she shouldn't be doing local theater. Eileen is the one who whines that it killed her Hollywood career, on the dubious assumption that she was destined to have one if it wasn't for that darn Oscars fiasco. R54 is perfectly correct that no one knew who she was before or after, so it had no effect on her career. She was in costume, and wouldn't have been recognized as the Snow White girl in any subsequent roles.

by Anonymousreply 10802/21/2013

What's oddest about Steve Silver's staging is that he appears to have not understood the appeal of his own goddamn show. People like it because of the wigs and hats and the satire, not because of Snow White.

by Anonymousreply 10902/21/2013

Yeah I understand your point (R108) but the implication is that she doesn't have a career which is unfair. She does and apparently it's a decent one, just not a glitzy one.

Also, who knows what effect that did have on her standing in L.A? Everyone in the industry was in that room and many of them would recognize her, not only from the performance but from backstage and after. And the next day, she was forced to sign a gag order. I'm sure no producer or director wanted to know from her after that, just because she was associated with embarrassment and trouble.

by Anonymousreply 11002/21/2013

Rob Lowe was so beautiful. God.

by Anonymousreply 11102/21/2013

Did Lily Tomlin lose her shoe on purpose? Or was that part of the whole ghastly thing?

by Anonymousreply 11202/21/2013

Best article on the debacle.

by Anonymousreply 11302/21/2013

Every fag worth his salt knows what Carr was trying to do but it was so ineptly put together,it had no chance. No opening number should ever be fifteen minutes. he wanted old time Hollywood.

Carr wanted to fuck Lowe, no other excuse. People are always bitching why can't they have vets, real movies stars. Yeah have them presenting not sitting at tables. It came alive for the three seconds Cyd Charise danced.

The Grumman usher kick line was cool and then the big finish is wait... Lily Tomlin. Now when I think old fashioned Hollywood Glamour, I always think Lily Tomiln.

by Anonymousreply 11402/21/2013

For me, the Bright Stars Of Tomorrow beats out Snow White/Rob Lowe just a bit for most embarrassing.

Stars ??? How about Never Gonna Be Stars. Out of that group, the Dempseys, Lakes, Robinsons had some TV success, but movies ? potential Oscar winnders ? Ha.

The Beach Blanket Bingo trainwreck at least had some history of success. It just carried over very, very, VERY badly to the Oscar telecast.

by Anonymousreply 11502/21/2013

The "Grumman" (that would be Grauman's) kick line was awful. It was the last awful topper to an atrocious monstrosity of awfulness.

And you're right - the one moment that supplies magic in that mess is when Cyd Charisse shows them how it should be done.

by Anonymousreply 11602/21/2013

Patrick Dempsy is a good dancer!

I agree with you R105. I think he was the only one that stood out in a positive way,and he didn't look embarrassing. He was the only one who looked like he had some talent out of all of them. Other than Dempsy ,I was surprised that Tracy Nelson new how to ballet dance pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 11702/21/2013

Ugh! According to R113's article, before Snow White made her entrance inside the theater, an announcer told the audience, "the star of all time will be here soon." People thought Carr may have pulled off a coup and gotten Greta Garbo or Katharine Hepburn (who was not present for any of her four wins.) Then in came this chirping twit in a tacky costume and no one could look at her.

If you asked a hundred people who the female star of all time was, not one of them would say Snow White. What a stupid way to set up that poor girl before the crowd. How coked out did Allan Carr have to be to think a silly thing like that was going to work?

You can see at least one empty table in the background in the Cocoanut Grove sequence. It makes me wonder what old-time celebrities Carr had sought to fill those seats, and what reasons the lucky geezers had given him for not participating.

by Anonymousreply 11802/21/2013

Keith Coogan was in that clip Bright Stars Of Tomorrow. He is Jackie Coogan's grandson. I remember seeing him in some films here and there in the late 80s and early 90s. I haven't seen him since then.He seemed not be seen again anymore.

However, I recently seen him on YouTube which he made skits of himself doing goofy stuff. He has two YouTube videos that he likes a lot that he filmed of a gay rights protest done in Sliver Lake.

Does Anyone know if he is gay? He is very cute in an average way.

by Anonymousreply 11902/22/2013

I've tried to see the whole thing over the years but I could never finish it. Poor Rob.

by Anonymousreply 12002/22/2013

Eileen Bowman does a perfectly respectable job. Actually I'm impressed that she manages to come across as relaxed and spontaneous as she does. She is the definition of a "trooper".

by Anonymousreply 12102/22/2013

Who wouldn't want a 24 year old Rob Lowe to make love to them? You have to admire Mr Carr for setting up that whole monstrosity just to get Rob in his honey trap...

by Anonymousreply 12202/22/2013

For those who didn't see this when it originally aired and ask "Was it *really* that bad??" -- yes. Yes, it was.

For something like the Snow White/Rob Lowe debacle to air nowadays wouldn't be such a big deal. The TV audiences continue to dwindle, and the Oscars telecast might not even win its time slot today. This was also before various daytime talk shows and reality shows accustomed people to being able to see train wrecks on TV 24/7.

This wasn't just a Big 3 network TV show, this was The Oscars. Hundreds of millions of people -- perhaps even a billion -- watched it worldwide. Live.

So for Snow White to suddenly begin traipsing through the theatre, trying to force contact with film stars who instantly became collateral damage the second she entered their radius, only to be joined by Rob Lowe, who then warbled Proud Mary to her, followed up by Merv Griffin singing I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Cocoanuts as Vincent Price and Roy Rogers danced around in a daze...was it "that bad?" Are you kidding me?

It was utterly surreal. Never to be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 12302/22/2013

Here's the opening from the year before. It's cheesy, but it's only under three minutes.

Seriously, a 12-minute opening? Were there no checks and balances?

by Anonymousreply 12402/22/2013

[quote] So for Snow White to suddenly begin traipsing through the theatre, trying to force contact with film stars who instantly became collateral damage the second she entered their radius, only to be joined by Rob Lowe, who then warbled Proud Mary to her, followed up by Merv Griffin singing I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Cocoanuts as Vincent Price and Roy Rogers danced around in a daze...was it "that bad?" Are you kidding me?

Agreed.

And it was bad bad. Not fun campy sort of bad in a 70s sort of way. I mean, Bea Arthur having a special where she sings with Rock Hudson about using drugs....it was maybe silly or campy, but there was some entertainment (and a wink wink factor) to it.

This was just a train weck of epic proportions.

And even with sinking audiences The Oscars are still seen by billions.

That's been the problem with making it for years - aiming for too wide an audience, or having to do so. Some of the hosts have been very funny people with limited appeal/humor (Ellen, Jon S) and then you have Billy Crystal, doing Bob Hope's routine from 60 years ago. It's hard to find that balance.

by Anonymousreply 12502/22/2013

[quote]It was utterly surreal. Never to be forgotten.

Viewing it live, when Rob Lowe entered I abandoned the last shred of hope that what I was watching made sense. An indelible WTF? moment.

by Anonymousreply 12602/22/2013

R123 - BS. The Oscars are STILL the premiere TV event of the year outside of the Super Bowl, and ratings have been very stable for the last 20 years at around 40 million viewers. Something like this wouldn't make it to air today because the scrutiny is even more intense with 1,000,000 websites and entertainment series ready to pounce.

by Anonymousreply 12702/22/2013

I recently met Eileen Bowman. She's funny and engaging and quite a good actress.

The Snow White Oscar number was awful, but Eileen did the best job she could. But making this number even more awful was its length. It went on for a ridiculous 11 minutes...or forever, which is what it seemed like. The show's producers caused this disaster.

by Anonymousreply 12802/22/2013

People out of touch with real hardship and true suffering would only consider something so innocuous as an offensive and degrading experience. Grow up, the lot of you. It's a bit of forgettable fluff, not the bubonic plague. If you're secure in yourself, you'd roll your eyes and have a giggle, not do your uppity affection of horror a la Kevin Kline (and who the hell is he to be uppity after his cringe-worthy chewing of the scenery in Sophie's Choice?)

by Anonymousreply 12902/22/2013

I watched this live the night it aired at an Oscar party. The entire room fool of people were just shaking their heads and muttering "WTF?" over and over. When the number was finished we all just sat around in silence for a moment like "what the HELL what that?" Remember, back then the Oscars were a bigger deal than they are today. Everybody and their mother watched them.

by Anonymousreply 13002/22/2013

I miss the days when everyone watched the Oscars and Dynasty and Dallas.

We have too many awards shows and too many choices these days.

by Anonymousreply 13102/22/2013

Carr's ashes were scattered by Ann-Margaret. This truly makes him the biggest queen who ever queened.

by Anonymousreply 13202/22/2013

R131, you sound extremely old.

by Anonymousreply 13302/22/2013

If Carr was cremated then I guess he wasn't buried in the dress.

So it was either Steve Silver or Merv Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 13402/22/2013

The man being buried in Snow's dress is a homophobic disgusting lie.

by Anonymousreply 13502/22/2013

Why did she use a cartoon voice?

by Anonymousreply 13602/22/2013

r136 asks a good question. That voice was really annoying. She kind of had cankles too and not a great body. She was ok but nothing special.

But that young Hollywood thing..oh my. I wanted to grab Feldman by his smirky, mulleted head and cock punch him. Holly Robinson's singing was atrocious and what was Ricki Lake wearing? The video was shitty so I couldn't tell if she was supposed to be a clown or a tramp. Just bad, over all.

by Anonymousreply 13702/22/2013

r136 - why do you THINK?!!!!! Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 13802/22/2013

(R129) who is saying that they found an offensive and degrading experience to watch that?

Why don't you grow up and stop making yourself feel superior by tut tutting?

by Anonymousreply 13902/22/2013

r139 - don't try and turn this around. You look down on this showpiece but really you just have a mighty high opinion of your own tastefulness.

by Anonymousreply 14002/22/2013

"She kind of had cankles too and not a great body. She was ok but nothing special."

This is the reason why we don't have that many really good women singers and actresses out there anymore. Because people now judge every woman so harshly on her physique and in such great detail that it becomes all that matters about female entertainers. How can real talent ever get developed now? Not ever talent is going to have a perfect body, whatever the hell that means anyway.

And why don't you wear white stockings and red shoes and see if you don't look like you have cankles when you look in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 14102/22/2013

Okaaaay (R140) You caught me.

I am SO proud of my own tastefulness. I wake up every day and look in the mirror and say "you may your faults but by gum, you'd never put Rob Lowe up there with Snow White like they did 1989"

by Anonymousreply 14202/22/2013

I kind of liked it. Rob Lowe was terrible - but it seems like Allan Carr tried to inject a bit of lighthearted fun and campery into an otherwise beige event. So what? I get the feeling some of those dour looks by the celebs in the audience reflect a discomfort with the camp nature of the number. The dancing tables are hilarious! Allan Carr seems to get a bad rap on DL. I also liked 'You Can't Stop The Music' - okay it's not Acadmey Award Material - but what's wrong with a bit of colour and movement? Most of today's Oscar numbers and bland and boring. I wish we lived in a world with can-can soldiers, twirling stars and dancing coconuts (and tables).

by Anonymousreply 14302/22/2013

Her article is not really that interesting. I expected much more from all the attention it's getting.

She has the career she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 14402/23/2013

If the Snow White number weren't so damn long, then no one would have had the chance to hate it so much.

by Anonymousreply 14502/23/2013

What boggles my mind is that when you think about it, at least a hundred, maybe even two hundred, people must have been involved in the preparation of this segment.

Why didn't anyone speak up and say, "Stop! This is a bad idea!"

by Anonymousreply 14602/23/2013

I love that Alan Carr thought it was awesome and was taken completely aback by the critical reception.

Sometime people in Hollywood are so "in Hollywood" that they really have zero concept of what good or even passable entertainment is.

by Anonymousreply 14702/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.