Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Here's how one Academy member voted for the Oscars...

He goes through every single category to explain his choices.

Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

[quote]I also don’t vote for anyone whose name I can’t pronounce. Quvez---? Quzen---? Quyzenay?

[quote][Had not seen any of the films, but had heard good things about Paperman so he voted for it.]

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

He voted for ME and he finds me CHARMING!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

"This is the award for sound that is mixed on the set on the day."

And he doesn't know what sound mixing is.

Sound editing happens first, then sound mixing. It has nothing to do with recording done on set or location. The mix is how well music, dialogue, and sound effects are balanced and blended together. The edit is how realistic everything sounds. Lost in a realistic soundscape.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

I agree with nearly everything he said except for his shitting on Michael Haneke as "hating people" which is a gross oversimplification. But, he seems more sophisticated and I agree with him especially about Waltz and the WTF with Argo winning everything.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

Speculation is that the voter's William Friedkin.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

Ridiculous that they don't name the actual photographer, just the movie that is nominated for cinematography. That makes no sense.

Also, maybe the sound categories should just be voted on by sound professionals. Its the one category that I think even many film professionals don't really understand.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

I thought The Master was awful. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

From the way he analyzed the Supporting Actress category I can now see why Hathaway will win. I also found Field a little annoying and basically AnnE is the last woman standing.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

The fact that he voted for Anne and actually finds her "charming" - hello, after her embarrassing speeches at the other awards - totally negates any of his opinions. He probably just finds her the most fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

He is 10000% right about Quevenzahne. Alphabet Wallis, lololol!!!

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

AnnE isn't fuckable. The way he said "I find her charming" made me think it was said in a tone that indicated "but I can see how others don't".

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2013

Almost all of these leaked ballots have insane logic behind them. It figures that's why they so seldom award the actual better movies/performances.

People keep complaining that the voters skew old and white, but if you take a look at the way people vote, I shudder to think at what "young" voters would award.

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2013

I actually think the younger voters might be better. Of course, by younger I'm thinking of people like Amy Adams, Tilda Swinton, Paul Thomas Anderson, Tarantino, etc. Not old fucks like Mickey Rooney and old studio heads that say "picture" instead of "movie".

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2013

He's a tool, but at least he voted for Riva.

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2013

There was a link in that article to another article I found more interesting: the first and only interview with the girl who played Snow White to Rob Lowe's Prince Charming.

I can't imagine going into an auditorium knowing you're about to humiliate yourself in front of the whole world.

I wonder if Franco and Hathaway knew. Or was Franco too stoned?

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

He convinced me why Anne Hathaway deserves an Oscar, especially compared to Jackman's and Crowe's contributions.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2013

[quote]Django Unchained will go into my fifth slot — it’s a fun movie, but it’s basically just Quentin Tarantino masturbating for almost three hours.

This differs from his other movies how?

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2013

He liked me too....

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2013

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence I was on the fence about, but she lost me with that Saturday Night Live bit; I thought it was mean-spirited and shows a lack of maturity on her part

Touchy old geezer.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2013

[quote]Amy Adams is going to be nominated 20 more times, but this one’s a total throwaway role

please no actress will ever break double digits again. There are just too few roles.

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2013

Is he for real?

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

It just goes to show how little a role true artistry plays in Hollywood. The very notion doesn't even enter his mind.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

I don't find AnnE charming at all and she is too much hype, so I would rather give the award to Amy. Agree with him on Best male actor and supporting male. Cinematography was OK in Skyfall but not really Oscar worthy. I probably give that one to The Master as well. PTA just does amazing movies IMHO, always pushing the envelope, and still using film instead of digital cameras. Which at least to me still looks deeper and richer than digital.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

I stopped reading when he began showing the Master. Worst movie I have seen in a theater in a decade. WORST. And I know a lot of people who hated it passionately beside myself.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

That article is great, r15. This quote kills me:

"The campy live number, arranged and conducted by Marvin Hamlisch, was as over-the-top as the man who masterminded it, Grease producer Allan Carr, a bombastic Hollywood oddball famed for wearing caftans and hosting debauched parties at his disco-equipped house in Benedict Canyon."

Allan Carr was a Datalounger!

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

The Master? This is a joke, right?

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

If Jennifer Lawrence loses it will be because of the "I beat Meryl" line at the Globes followed by trashing all the nominees on SNL. Had she been more gracious she would have it in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

I'm guessing R27 has no sense of humor and must be a blast at parties.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

How can this guy vote for Phoenix and then complain about Jennifer Lawrence's behavior turning him off?

I'm wondering if the voter is the ghost of Allan Carr.

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

I believe this is fake. It's too snarky and topical.

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2013

I had to keep an icepack on my pussy for a full week afterwards, but I'm glad he held up his end of the bargain.

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2013

This article from EW 'splains the difference between sound mixing and sound editing:

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2013

The mystery voter is a director, which explains his doucheyness.

R6, this is just the ballot that is sent back to the Academy. The names were dropped to conserve space on the card. The cinematographers are listed by name in most other material.

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

r33 LOL

This is exactly the reason why these awards are bullshit.

The Academy is really a bunch of cranky white people with industry axes to grind who aren't very smart.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

If Lawrence loses it will not be because of her perfectly mild silly comments at the Globes and SNL.

It will be because Emmanuelle Riva deserves the oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2013

Oh, how I wish there are more like him and Joaquin Phoenix pulls off an upset. Of the crop of "young" actors, unlike poseurs like James Franco and Shia LeBeouf, this guy is a real actor, and a very good and creative one at that.

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2013

[quote]Life of Pi is very well-directed and extremely well-thought-out, but I was put off by the religious message at the end.

[quote]That leaves Lincoln, which I don’t feel is the best-directed film of the year -- there’s nothing innovative about it -- but I’m swept away with the gravity of the subject matter, with the respect that Spielberg showed to it and with him guiding Day-Lewis in a direction different than we’d normally associated with Lincoln. Plus, Spielberg deserves an Oscar every 10 years or so out of respect for what he does for the industry.

Sorry, Ang!! Maybe if you start doing more for the industry...

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

I love how he complains about Waltz being category fraud, but at the same time he thinks Ann Dowd should have got Weaver's nomination.

Dowd was lead in her film.

What a moron!

I agree she should have been nominated, but for lead actress, obviously.

r36: Phoenix overacted in The Master; considering JLT had to cede a well-deserved nomination to Phoenix's caricature performance, I hope DDL will defeat him soundly on Sunday.

And with Phoenix's many off-screen antics, he's every bit the poser as LaBeouf and Franco. Much worse, come to think of it.

He's gross, and also has no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 3802/22/2013

Joaquin Phoenix was just about the only saving grace of The Master. Anybody could have given the performance PS Hoffmann gave. It was Phoenix who really nailed his character. I don't think there's anyone in Hollywood who could have done it better. That said, I didn't like the movie.

I really, really hope Riva wins. If Jennifer Lawrence wins it will be such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2013

[quote]I really, really hope Riva wins. If Jennifer Lawrence wins it will be such a shame.

Well, buckle your seatbelt. Don't we do this every year now? Watch as someone walks off with an award they were hyped into?

by Anonymousreply 4002/22/2013

The Academy are such sheep nowadays. Can't be good for bookies.

by Anonymousreply 4102/24/2013

Based on what they guy's saying, is it possible DL is the only place that hates AnnE so much?

by Anonymousreply 4202/24/2013

Well, yes, r42!

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!