Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Breaking...Shia LeBoeuf OUT of Broadway production of Orphans

Due to "creative differences." Yeah, right.

I bet Alec Baldwin bitch-slapped him so he picked up his toys and walked out.

by Anonymousreply 17304/05/2013

And will Jan Maxwell emerge from her subsidized Manhattan Plaza Suite to testify on Shia's behalf?

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

He only has that one character he plays, a sort of over-stimulated doof. After he almost lost his finger, Hollywood realized he was nuts. When Steven Spielberg banished him from his magical boy garden (Stevie doesn't like scandal), he was officially ovah.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

The wardrobe department refused to keep cleaning the shit balls out of his costume every night and filed a union grievance.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

I am surprised that anyone would think he had enough discipline and professionalism to do eight shows a week for months.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

A preposterous idea to begin with.

It's doubtful that Shee-itt LePoof would ever have the discipline to WATCH a Broadway show, let alone perform in one.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

Bring in Joseph Gordon-Levitt, stat.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

To have creative differences, one must first be creative.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

He happens to be an Emmy Award winning actor.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

I wouldnt expect a star replacement--they are already in rehearsals

This always seemed like a non state anyway

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

Bring in Ezra Miller, stat.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

Let's just say Shia is too busy these days with his "extracurricular activities" (sniff, sniff) to be very feasible for sustained stage work.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2013

Jon Groff needs something to do.

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2013

Was he going to be nude?

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2013

Where's Haley Joel Osment when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2013

Shia is tweeting!!! fun stuff!!!

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

R8, yes he is. I was in fact on the Daytime Emmy judging panel that year. He won for some kid's show. I think a lot of us voted for him because he was a breath of fresh air besides the likes of Levar Burton on fucking Reading Rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2013

So much for Alec being all calm from his wife's yoga.

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2013

Apparently Shia wouldnt blow Alec or swallow

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2013

I don't quite get what the reasons for his departure are, from the tweets. Are they trying to paint him as some temperamental brilliant genius of an actor who won't be shackled to creating an actual performance or working ina rehearsal room?

Sounds like they're killing him with flattery. Just so long as he leaves...

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2013

Shia's home sniffing mommy's panties, size 5X.

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2013

He sounds certifiably insane and pretentious

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

Megan Hilty for Orphans!

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

He took it down but he tweeted an article on the Baldwin /Jan Maxwell fight from a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

From the emails Shia has posted, it reads like the raging loon is Alec Baldwin. Surprise, Surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

Lets not act like Alec hasn't had problems playing well with others, including his own daughter, before.

Shia might be a pretentious actor but from those e-mails it didn't seem like anyone was trying to throw him under the bus & the one that stated that Alec "is what he is" that was written to Shia ... (and yes, I caught that Shia deleted a rather long one) pretty told me that they may have not been getting along (as another e-mail from someone that worked on it pointed out - that he knew there'd be trouble) and it wasn't necessarily Shia's fault.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

Shia is known to be difficult to work with. This doesn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

What emails?

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

Shia did full frontal in that video. We must support all our actors who go full frontal.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

go to the twitter account linked above is posting emails he got from Baldwin, the director and the other actor.

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

How does this twerp keep getting work?

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2013

r19, Shia punched a hole in a door on set. Also, Alec Baldwin may have had problems before (and here as well), but he said in his e-mail that he wasn't going to say anything bad about Shia if anyone asked, so it was incredibly douchey of Shia to turn around and publish that. It's douchey to reprint someone else's emails regardless (unless they've done something truly horrible), but especially when they're doing you a favor.

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2013

I 2nd JGL!!!

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2013

I doubted whether Alec could work with LeDouche. Baldwin, in spite of his anger issues, is very talented and a dedicated professional. He would never be able to put up with this guy's antics (hell, he's too busy with his OWN!) and I am sure this would inevitably have come to a confrontation. Professionally, you don't fuck with Alec Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

Catfight!!! Str8 men are such bitches. Can't they get along?

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2013

In a Douche Off between Alec Baldwin and Shia LeBoeuf I'd have to go with LeBoeuf being the bigger douche.

At least Baldwin has real talent. I don't care if he got pissed off and yelled at his kid or any of that other shit.

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

"In a Douche Off between Alec Baldwin and Shia LeBoeuf I'd have to go with LeBoeuf being the bigger douche. "

Yeah, but I'd bet on Baldwin to win the fight.

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2013

And so he has, R36. Shia's out, Alec is still the star.

Previews start in less than 2 weeks - who will they get to sub? They need a name - Alec's name alone won't sell on Broadway, and Tom Sturridge, while HOT, is unknown to most US theatergoers.

Is Jake Gyllenhaal busy?

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

I don't understand what Tom Sturridge is doing in this production anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2013

what do you mean r38? Why wouldn't he want to do it?

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2013

I can do it!

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2013

I mean, couldn't they find an American actor for that role? Are there no longer any young American actors who can act?

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2013

Two horrible douchebags, too bad they didn't kill each other.

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2013

Ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2013

You heard it here first: Ben Foster is his replacement.

by Anonymousreply 4402/21/2013

According to an article in the NYT today, the director Daniel Sullivan was concerned about some of the acting choices LeBoeuf was making in rehearsals and shared his concerns with the producers.

Translation: LeBoeuf was flailing around in rehearsals and couldn't get a grip on the job and was let go.

Yes, Baldwin is a difficult jackass. I wouldn't be surprised if he chafed at having someone else in the cast who was as well-known as he was and could throw some weight around.

by Anonymousreply 4502/21/2013

[quote] Daniel Sullivan was concerned about some of the acting choices LeBoeuf was making in rehearsals and shared his concerns with the producers.

Strange his acting choices would be questioned, considering he is an Emmy Award winning actor.

by Anonymousreply 4602/21/2013

Shia's Broadway Beef with Alec!

by Anonymousreply 4702/21/2013

what the hell are you talking about r46?

by Anonymousreply 4802/21/2013

Who remembers when Shia would haughtily look down on the likes of lohan and other wild childs in interviews? He was all naw man that ain't me.

by Anonymousreply 4902/21/2013

His twitter rage over being let go is unintentionally hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 5002/21/2013

"@thecampaignbook: the theater belongs not to the great but to the brash. acting is not for gentlemen, or bureaucratic-academics. what they do is antiart."

by Anonymousreply 5102/21/2013

His tweets this morning read like an SNL character. I love how he punched a wall, got fired, and is now shrieking about being a great thespian.

by Anonymousreply 5202/21/2013

[quote] being a great thespian.

He is an Emmy Award winning actor, same as Alec.

by Anonymousreply 5302/21/2013

Alec has a better vita and many more awards/nominations. They both act like babies but Alec wins this one.

by Anonymousreply 5402/21/2013

Shia has cred: He's won an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 5502/21/2013

He won an Emmy for a shitty kid show. Does that count? Yes, but does it really count? No.

by Anonymousreply 5602/21/2013

[quote]You heard it here first: Ben Foster is his replacement.

And R44 called it!

by Anonymousreply 5702/21/2013

Both actors are talented. But Alec can be a difficult actor who doesn't suffer fools easily. Shia can also be a difficult actor who thinks very highly of himself. Both have HUGE egos to go with their talent. The thing here is, Alec hasn't said a word about Shia while Shia is desperately going around, trying to get ahead of any potential story, by pointing fingers at Alec and making sure everyone knows what a great actor he is (according to other people's private e-mails to him that he has NO problem sharing with the world). Both probably acted badly - but in the aftermath, Alec is acting the gentleman in this situation while Shia is acting like a wronged immature diva.

by Anonymousreply 5802/21/2013

Really, whoever was putting on this play should have known from the beginning that two difficult actors like Alec and Shia would NOT get along. It was a disaster on paper.

by Anonymousreply 5902/21/2013

Ben Foster is also an Emmy Award Winning actor.

No matter what you guys say, and Emmy Awards gives you credibility.

by Anonymousreply 6002/21/2013

Does anyone know: How childish was the Steppenwolf cast back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 6102/21/2013

The e-mails make me laugh.

Whenever someone is fired from a show, people kindly tell them what good work they were doing and wish them luck. People rarely say " you sucked on stage, so good riddance". Being nice costs most people nothing.

The creative differences out wasn't enough for Shia so he tries to let everyone know how great he was by leaking the nice peoples e-mails.

Maybe the head of Yale MFA would like to talk to Shia about continuing his acting training?!

by Anonymousreply 6202/21/2013

[quote]Maybe the head of Yale MFA would like to talk to Shia about continuing his acting training?!

I have no doubt Shia would be more than happy to enlighten the head of Yale MFA as to what constitutes good acting.

by Anonymousreply 6302/21/2013

Alec had absolutely nothing to do with it so of course The NY Post will blame him. Now they've replaced Shia with perhaps the worst actor of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 6402/21/2013

He wasn't fired, he quit.

by Anonymousreply 6502/21/2013

I agree with r55.

by Anonymousreply 6602/21/2013

[quote]He wasn't fired, he quit.

Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 6702/21/2013

Flavorwire asks: "Seriously, What the Hell Is Going on With Shia LaBeouf?"

by Anonymousreply 6802/21/2013

He is mentally ill. And going nowhere fast. Doesn't have the looks or the talent to die young and leave a beautiful corpse. He can't do the James Dean thing. His acting roles have been hideous for a long time. Wierd naked videos and BAD movies. He appears so self involved, so preciously, prententiously arty. But the proof is in the work. And he ain't got much book.

And whoever that dipstick is who keeps typing "He's got an Emmy," so what? People win awards every day that are not really based upon real talent and are a fluke.

I have just never taken to this rat faced poseur. If he were a tenth as good as HE thinks he is.....

by Anonymousreply 6902/21/2013

[quote] And whoever that dipstick is who keeps typing "He's got an Emmy," so what? People win awards every day that are not really based upon real talent and are a fluke.

So since Ben Foster has an Emmy to his credit, that his Emmy won is not based on any talent and is a fluke?

by Anonymousreply 7002/21/2013

They traded one Emmy winner (Shia LeBoeuf) for another Emmy winner (Ben Foster).

Coincidentally they both won their respective Emmys in the same year!

by Anonymousreply 7102/21/2013

I have an Emmy for my voice work on The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 7202/21/2013

Sounds like a disaster. They should just pull the plug now.

by Anonymousreply 7302/21/2013

He was not fired, he quit.

by Anonymousreply 7402/21/2013

Foster is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 7502/21/2013

[quote]He was not fired, he quit.

He has a signed contract, his face was on the marquee. If the producers didn't want him gone, he would still be there.

by Anonymousreply 7602/21/2013

He's a turd. Good riddance. Whenever I hear his name now I think of that weird video where he looks like a naked dirty hippie in a pink feather boa.

by Anonymousreply 7702/21/2013

Is Foster a gay?

by Anonymousreply 7802/21/2013

No, Foster is dating Robin Wright.

by Anonymousreply 7902/21/2013

[quote]No, Foster is dating Robin Wright.

Really? Sounds like a Hugh and Deb type situation.

by Anonymousreply 8002/21/2013

You think a producer can fire a star more easily than a star can quit? ha.

by Anonymousreply 8102/21/2013

Robin Wright is attractive.

by Anonymousreply 8202/21/2013

We now have a "But he's got an EMMY" troll. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 8302/21/2013

Who is the idiot saying he was not fired, he quit? It's clear - even from LeDouche's emails and Twitter rants - that he was fired. let go. Shown the door.

As for those nasty rumors that he has talent - they're just rumors. Nothing he's done so far has hinted at him actually being able to act.

by Anonymousreply 8402/21/2013

Agreed R84 he is awfully apologetic in most of those "private" emails. Those emails also make it seem as if the problem was less with Baldwin and more with the director.

by Anonymousreply 8502/21/2013

I find his "I AM AN ARTISTE" attitude hilarious given that his most notable works thus far have been Even Stevens, Indiana Jones 4, and Michael Bay's Transformers trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 8602/21/2013

I have to side with Alec Baldwin. He can play anything, from a cop to a mobster to Pete Schwetty to Jack Donaghy to Fred Sanford.

Seriously, have you seen his Fred Sanford?

by Anonymousreply 8702/21/2013

Alec is hilarious in that clip! "He gambled away my welfare check."

by Anonymousreply 8802/21/2013

Maybe it's out of fear or because they truly believe Baldwin is talented, but I didn't read that anyone recommend he contact the head of Yale's Fine Arts program. Shia, I'm just sayin...

by Anonymousreply 8902/21/2013

R84 I'm not sure what stake you have in all of this, but nothing in any of his emails points to the idea that he was fired. Apologizing to people is a way of leaving no hard feelings after you quit. The idea that he was fired is far, far less probable than him just quitting. These producers aren't stupid. Firing him this late in the process is bad business.

by Anonymousreply 9002/21/2013

Juss cuz ahm a ignorant black man you paid a nickel to bust up your chiffarobe don't mean I don't love my son!

by Anonymousreply 9102/21/2013

R90, LeBoeuf signed a union contract to appear in this play. It's five weeks out, millions have been spent putting it together and suddenly he's been replaced.

If LeBoeuf wanted to quit and the producers wanted him to stay, he'd still be there. If he tried to quit they'd simply a) contact the union and file a big fat grievance against LeBoeuf, and b) sue LeBoeuf for every dime he's ever made or ever will make.

Seriously - the LeBoeuf kid was fired and everyone knows it. That's why he's so freaked out and stupidly making it worse by twittering a bunch of transparent bullshit.

Baldwin won this one and rightly so. He may be a prick but he's got more talent in his hairline than LeBoeuf has in his entire body.

Also this:

by Anonymousreply 9202/21/2013

R92 you know nothing about contracts, especially star theatre contracts. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 9302/21/2013

I have no stake in this, but it's in one of the announcements that LeDouche linked to on his Twitter that "the decision was made by Sullivan and the producers to let him go on Tuesday.:

It sounds like YOU'RE the one with a stake in this - are you one of LeDouche's two fans?

by Anonymousreply 9402/21/2013

Link to that please, r94

by Anonymousreply 9502/21/2013

Go find his Twitter feed and click the links yourself, r95. I'm not your servant, fangirl.

by Anonymousreply 9602/21/2013

If I were an actor who was rumored to have been fired, I would be tempted to post emails defying that rumor as well.

by Anonymousreply 9802/21/2013

You're an idiot, r97. You ARE a fangirl, aren't you? The comment about his being let go was made in the NY Times article about Foster replacing him, which LaBeouf linked with his statement that "Ben Foster will kill it."

The comment is "Those three men decided on Tuesday to replace Mr. LaBeouf; a public announcement was made on Wednesday, simply citing “creative differences.” But soon after Mr. LaBeouf began publishing e-mail exchanges on his Twitter account that shed more light on the situation."

by Anonymousreply 9902/21/2013

Shia fangirl @R93, if the producers wanted him to be in that show they would enforce his contract and he'd still be in that show.

They don't want him in the show. They chose not to enforce his contract. They fired him. The End.

So why don't you just fucking stop, hmm?

by Anonymousreply 10002/21/2013

[quote]If LeBoeuf wanted to quit and the producers wanted him to stay, he'd still be there. If he tried to quit they'd simply a) contact the union and file a big fat grievance against LeBoeuf, and b) sue LeBoeuf for every dime he's ever made or ever will make.

umm no...just no

by Anonymousreply 10102/21/2013

Now that I think of it for all that I've read about Nathan Lane being the biggest asshole on Broadway, it all seems to relate to his unsavory personal life and personality. I've never read here about his actually sabotaging a production through unprofessional behavior. And he does have an established track record of putting the asses in the seats.

by Anonymousreply 10202/21/2013

R99 you get your facts from some comment someone left on an article? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 10302/21/2013

Why can't men work together? Why are they so emotionally unstable all the time?

by Anonymousreply 10402/21/2013

I think that the producers saw that this guy could not CUT it, was not up to the role, the demands, the discipline. Perhaps his lack of work ethic, coupled with his punching that hole in the set or whatever he punched. Lengthy conferences with director and perhaps Alec, too. LeBeouf might have been manic or uncooperative, all "this is my craft" bullshit or something. It is MUCH more likely that he was let go than that he quit so close to previews. First, that would be the most unprofessional thing an actor could do, to leave a show in the lurch like that. Second, as others have articulated, he would be held to his contract anyway, lest he get his ass sued. I doubt that his union contract had an easy out clause for "creative differences" that perhaps a higher caliber star would have. He ain't no Olivier. Way too much $$$ at stake.

Another example of a Hollywood no-talent trying to trod the Broadway boards. Mutton dressed up as lamb.

by Anonymousreply 10502/21/2013

Megan, we all love you but...

Are you actually saying that actors on Broadway are not members of a union and do not have enforceable and therefore actionable contracts?

by Anonymousreply 10602/21/2013

r106....I'm saying you can quit and not be sued for everything you are worth.

by Anonymousreply 10702/21/2013

On another note, did anyone see the audition video he put on twitter? It's really really good.

I think the sentiment that film stars can't cut it in theatre should go for musical theatre performers who decide they want to be serious actors in tv or film. It goes both ways.

by Anonymousreply 10802/21/2013

I thought whether or not a play was in preview dictated contract enforcement. I could be wrong...

by Anonymousreply 10902/21/2013

Creative differences can really happen.

Some actors want to rehearse with lots of improvisation - other actors want to do just the words as written in the text.

Some actors want to roam all over the stage, doing new things in every scene - other actors want to use precise blocking each and every time.

There are a million reasons - all professional - why Alec and Shia might not have meshed well during rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 11002/21/2013

If you know the play ORPHANS you will know that the Alec Baldwin character is tied up with rope in a chair with his mouth stuffed with a gag and taped over by the Shia LaBoeuf character. The Alec character has to sit like that in the chair for about 15-20 minutes in the play while the Shia character runs and yells all over the stage like a banshee.

Can you picture the rehearsals last week?

WTF would Alec Baldwin, a world class control freak of the first order even want to play this role?

by Anonymousreply 11102/21/2013

R106, of course you can leave a show and not get sued. It isn't mandatory that producers sue an actor for violating a contract. It's a civil, rather than a criminal, action. I don't recall anyone suing Jeremy Piven for his unbelievably unprofessional behavior in abruptly quitting "Speed the Plow" although he may have been sanctioned by Equity for that - I'm not sure.

What I'm saying is that they could sue the shit out of LeBoeuf for quitting if they wanted to. If he quit the show without their permission, they could take him for everything he's got.

More likely, they could enforce his contract before any civil suit was filed. Again, it's only if they wanted to which clearly they did not.

by Anonymousreply 11202/21/2013

"Mutton dressed up as lamb."

I don't think that means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 11302/21/2013

And Megan quit a Roundabout production which is non-profit. This show is for profit and the producers have dropped a bundle on Shia's name. Now everyone has to work over time to get Foster shot, the marquee remade and hung, all front of house artwork re-done. Pay for Foster's rehearsals to catch up. He was canned and the producers probably told him to say he quit to be diplomatic.

by Anonymousreply 11402/21/2013

He wasn't canned.

by Anonymousreply 11502/21/2013

And I am sure the offer of an introduction to the head of Yale's MFA program was for a teaching position.

by Anonymousreply 11602/21/2013

Just out of curiosity, r110, which of these potential professional differences would explain why he punched a hole in a door three days before he was let go?

by Anonymousreply 11702/21/2013

He should appear at The Oscars in a musical salute to Reality TV Stars of the Future.

by Anonymousreply 11802/21/2013

He punched a hole in the door in character.

by Anonymousreply 11902/21/2013

Alec does have a long history of not getting along with people....

by Anonymousreply 12002/21/2013

The role he was playing was that of an extremely brutal and violent young man. I'm sure punching the wall/door was an instinctive, spontaneous moment while in character. Most directors would LOVE to have actors giving themselves to the performance so completely - and in rehearsals, no less. Actors are PAID to be emotional.

by Anonymousreply 12102/21/2013

r105, I tend to give him a pass because he was a child star. I've read enough about the horrors they go through to cut him some slack.

Allegedly, he is a severe alcoholic closet case, which raises the question of why he was ever cast.

He's gone for money roles as a young adult, so who knows if he can really act. It's not like Michael Bay demands gifted thespians for his movies.

A smaller role when he's not on a bender might be good; I haven't seen Disturbia, but a lot of people liked him in it.

by Anonymousreply 12202/21/2013

Watch his audition tape on twitter for the play. He's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 12302/22/2013

Actually some people can go from screen to stage and do quite well.

Carla Guigino had never done theatre before and yet all her Bway and off-Bway outings have been outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 12402/22/2013

Who the hell is Carla Guigino?

by Anonymousreply 12502/22/2013

[quote]You heard it here first: Ben Foster is his replacement.

Oh, I thought they meant the Ben (Benim) Foster, the Sephardic lovely now playing in "Forever Dusty". He's a dreamboat. Anybody know him?

by Anonymousreply 12602/22/2013

ok I spelled it wrong it is Gugino

She did the Marilyn role in After the Fall, Desire Under the Elms and Suddenly Last Summer off-Bway with Blythe Danner.

by Anonymousreply 12702/22/2013

How do you put your fist thru a wall anyway? I'd break mine.

by Anonymousreply 12802/22/2013

Shia plagiarizes an Esquire piece in his tweets:

by Anonymousreply 12902/22/2013

Oh my god r129! He's such a train wreck!

by Anonymousreply 13002/22/2013

R98, usually they e-mail all their friends in the industry to get their side of the story out there. They don't usually go directly to the public.

by Anonymousreply 13102/22/2013

R123, I don't have enough interest to watch the full hour of the audition tape. From the first 10 minutes he looks like he'd be well cast in the role though most of what he's doing is "busy being an actor." It's not hugely impressive though he's the right type for it. What else happens?

by Anonymousreply 13202/22/2013

What do they mean "he treated the role like he was an action star on a film set"?

I get the sense that he might've done better to choose a lower profile production, outside of NYC, with a director who was willing to work with him in raw form and spend some time refining his acting for the stage. A high pressured Broadway debut with Alec Baldwin may not have been the best opportunity for him. It just sounds like he required more time and attention than they were willing or able to give him in these circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 13302/22/2013

Ain't it the truth, R110? Rehearsal rooms can be very volatile places and working with other actors can be hell. More often than not, it is.

by Anonymousreply 13402/22/2013

namaste Shia

by Anonymousreply 13502/22/2013

I hope his replacement nails the role. It's a showy part and it can be a star-making one. It'd be so much better to see a good performance from a capable actor than to sit there having to pretend that a famous film personality is doing something worthy of a run on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 13602/22/2013

Who else has played it that became a star? Who was the original?

by Anonymousreply 13702/22/2013

Am I the only one here who suspects that the person (aka: #103/108/115/119/123, etc.) who keeps insisting that Shia couldn't possibly have been fired, he quit, and also keeps telling us that Shia's audition video reveals him to be "wonderful," is Shia himself?

If I'm correct: Hi, Shia! Please get help. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 13802/22/2013

r138 That person knows for sure, not only that the wonderful Shia wasn't canned, but also that he hit the door in character... You might be up to something.

And I agree, Shia are you in therapy? That could really help you with your craft!

r110 How is it professional if an actor does his own thing, no matter the consequences for the production. Shouldn't it be up to the director to decide what kind of performance style is welcome? Don't good, professional actors have to be able to work with other actors, who have different personalities? There might bot be perfect chemistry, but surely you are supposed to make it work.

by Anonymousreply 13902/22/2013

R137, I believe Kevin Anderson originated the role of Treat, at least at Steppenwolf, Off-Broadway and in the film version.

R139, not R110 here and it will be interesting to hear that poster weigh in, but it's tricky. Actors are not puppets, though often times they get treated as such. Some actors submit, very obediently, because they just want the director to like them. Other actors have more to contribute and whether that is welcome depends on their collaborators; usually this can be sussed out in preliminary meetings before final casting takes place.

Some actors just plan everything out, practice in a mirror and "act" in a bubble, unperturbed and unaffected by anything that happens around them. They're not even listening to their acting partners, they're just watching their lips move so they know when to deliver their next line.

Other actors, real actors in my opinion, recognise that acting is an exchange of energy, that requires listening and contact and responding to your partner's needs. Their approach and preparation may be different but they understand it's all about what is happening in the moment.

I suspect these differences didn't really enter into this situation. I get the sense it was more the rigorousness of theatre work that he wasn't really up for. I imagine on a film set it's easy to make it "all about Shia" but in a rehearsal room, under pressure, with limited time, there isn't the time to make it "all about Shia" and that kind of self-dramatising narcissism (actually putting your hand through a door that then requires medical attention or whatever) can just suck the air out of the room. When one actor needs and gets all of the attention it means another actor is just sitting there, waiting to work, watching all the rehearsal time just ebb away while things have to be repeatedly gone over for the other actor. It just wears everyone out.

by Anonymousreply 14002/22/2013

Putting your fist through drywall isn't that difficult (though you can break your hand that way), and stage sets generally aren't built as solidly as real buildings.

The putting the fist through a wall bit is to me an indicator of his unfitness for theater. You can do method shit in a film where you work yourself up into a tizzy just to get a great take and then take the rest of the day off. In theater you have to repeat the same performance consistently eight times a week, and if you're any good you may be required to do it for months or even a couple of years. You don't do that when you're putting your fist through the wall. As the writers above say it's about discipline and professionalism. And yes, you have to take into consideration everyone in the production, including the other actors and the tech who has to patch up that flat you just wrecked in your little fit of divadom.

by Anonymousreply 14102/22/2013

NY post- Riedel article. Shia was fired

by Anonymousreply 14202/22/2013

"They don't usually go directly to the public."

They do now. Welcome to the new reality. Dinosaurs like Clive Davis, Alex Baldwin and others better get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 14302/22/2013

In the original Steppenwolf production that moved to off-Broadway directed by Gary Sinise, Kevin Anderson played the younger agoraphobic brother, now played by Brit Tom Sturridge. Kevin was also in the film version. The play led to his stardom, such as it was.

Terry KInney played the older brother and John Mahoney played Alec's role. They were replaced respectively by Matthew Modine and Albert Finney in the film.

Alec's role is a strange choice for him. For an actor who only does a play every 5-10 years or so, it's the least showy role in the play and far more of a character part than one would think would intrigue Alec. Someone like Bob Hoskins or even Danny DeVito would be better casting in that part (though both admittedly too old).

I don't really get why Alec would choose the play for himself. In spite of his age, he's still a bit glamorous for the small time gangster he is playing.

by Anonymousreply 14402/22/2013

You all are obviously not actors. All this "wild emoting" is NOT appreciated without approval. It is the DIRECTOR who TELLS you what to do. You don't get to improvise and punch walls and emote all over the place with YOUR rehearsal choices unless the director ALLOWS that. Some directors are draconian Otto Preminger types, demanding that you recite the lines exactly the way they want you to, stick to the blocking exactly as marked out. They control the production with an iron fist and your performance is merely a part of THEIR vision. Some directors like to work with you in a collaborative fashion, allowing you to make suggestions, to offer up your ideas during the rehearsal process. Many actors prefer this type of director because you feel valued and that you can truly make the character your own. The rehearsal process is a satisfying artistic journey, to so speak. But actors also have to work with each other. And respect each other. Any diva behavior or rampant narcissism will tip the balance of a production. (Most shows have some of this stereotypical "theatah! behavior, too). What goes on behind the scenes to get a show up is never known to the audience, usually. Man oh man do actors "suffer for their art" sometimes. Acting with a douchebag actor you hate is REAL acting.

I think this LeBoeuf fellow just didn't have the chops for this. In over his head working with professionals who needed someone who understood the process better. There is a lot riding on the backs of the three actors on that stage and he, for whatever reason, could not carry his part of the load. Too young, too inexperienced. I think that fist through the wall thing (which seems to be another theatre cliche now!) unnerved the cast (that article indicates as much) and the director. If Shia was not following the director's DIRECTION, I am sure this pissed off and/or frustrated everyone to no end. The actor cannot say "this is my process" or pull some "Actors Studio method" crap in such a tightly knit production. My guess? LeBoeuf was simply NOT A TEAM PLAYER. That is the gist of it. Not a "We are all in this together and I will do whatever the director wants" kind of guy. I bet he could not take direction and was not showing proper deference and respect on multiple levels. Hollywood is not like Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 14502/22/2013

Except r145, Rick Sordelet, the highly experienced Fight Director (with countless major Broadway credits on his resume) sent a Shia a very sympathetic and now publicly exposed email supporting Shia's rehearsal process.

by Anonymousreply 14602/22/2013

R145, why did you write "except?" There is no right or wrong here. The director/producers wanted him gone for reasons no one is 100% clear on. My post was just an opinion. It's a cast change choice, not a judgment. People support each other in the arts. Hey, I hope this LeBouef fellow tries stage work AGAIN in the future. If he has talent, I hope he finds the proper venue for it.

by Anonymousreply 14702/22/2013

Megan Mullaly really isn't as smart as she seems on television.

by Anonymousreply 14802/22/2013

R110 here.

It sounds like Shia's performance didn't mesh with the other two actors. The phrase "acting in a different play" comes to kind. Not better or worse. Different. Not disrespectful, different.

They say 90% of a directors job is casting. Hence why the director took full responsibility for the situation.

Actors are like musicians. You don't hire Eddie van Galen to be in a jazz trio. Creative differences!

by Anonymousreply 14902/22/2013

I was creative and they were different

by Anonymousreply 15002/22/2013

I love how R145 claims people support each other in the arts after starting his post with "You all are obviously not actors," spoken like a true snob.

You're not the only actor here, sir.

by Anonymousreply 15102/22/2013

R145=does musicals

by Anonymousreply 15202/22/2013

The later posts here have taken on the voice of PR shills for both sides.

by Anonymousreply 15302/23/2013

Carla Gugino is competant in the right role.

by Anonymousreply 15402/23/2013

No one gives a fuck. That play is trite. It will be on tdf.

by Anonymousreply 15502/23/2013

What does competant mean?

by Anonymousreply 15602/23/2013

r140 is right

by Anonymousreply 15702/23/2013

Strange....all this acrimony over the role of Treat when it is Phillip that steals the play.

by Anonymousreply 15802/23/2013

Esquire writer whom LaBoeuf plagiarized responds to il plagiarismo:

by Anonymousreply 15902/23/2013

[quote]They say 90% of a directors job is casting

Who's "they?" Because "they" are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 16002/23/2013

Shia is the closest thing we have to a Neely O'Hara. They drum him outta Hollywood so he comes crawling to Broadway. Then it turns out that Broadway doesn't go for booze and pills and he's thrown out on his ass there too.

Pity he didn't quit the play between acts on opening night. Now THAT would have been a story!

by Anonymousreply 16102/23/2013

LeDoof is surely one of the plainest men Hollywood has ever tried to shill as a "heartthrob." I absolutely cannot understand it. He's not ugly, I don't think, but he's just not at all handsome or even striking. And he doesn't make up for it with protean talent.

by Anonymousreply 16202/23/2013

Baldwin plugged the play on Letterman just now but no mention of LeBoeuf's departure. He talked mainly about his beef with the NY Post.

by Anonymousreply 16302/26/2013

I see what you did there, R163.

(Le Boeuf / beef)

by Anonymousreply 16402/26/2013

R163 = R164 ?

by Anonymousreply 16502/26/2013

Much like Russell Crowe, Shia leboeuf is one of those charismatic-faced "interesting" looking people who single handedly ruined their sex appeal by being huge twats over and over again in the public eye.

Shia has those green eyes and great skin and coloring - but being a gigantic douchebag is offputting to frauworld. He's not hot enough to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 16602/26/2013

Foster is a great choice for Orphans.

by Anonymousreply 16702/26/2013

R165 = st00pid n00b?

by Anonymousreply 16802/26/2013

They should make a musical version of that movie, "Orphan."

by Anonymousreply 16902/26/2013

God, does Tom Sturridge sound like a pretentious douche, chastising the Times writer for reading those emails Shia tweeted. I can't stand actors like this.

[quote]Sturridge: I have no particularly strong feelings either way. What I do have strong feelings about is: The e-mail shouldn’t have been read. Have you read them? Yes. I was reporting on Shia’s firing, and he suddenly released these e-mails. Sturridge: It’s not your job to read them. I think that’s extraordinarily ethically questionable. It was a private e-mail, and you read it. Baldwin: I just want to say: The worst cases you never hear about. Hollywood studios bury that stuff — actors who punch directors in the face and try to run producers over with cars — insanity, criminal behavior. But the studios are invested in that star, they can’t have that person’s name dirtied up. The problem here is it became public.

Baldwin's last answer is quite interesting. I'd love to know more about badly behaving actors and the studios who cover up for them.

The piece also mentions that audiences have been laughing in inappropriate places. Sounds like the play is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 17004/04/2013

Ha, I get the feeling Baldwin thinks Sturridge is just as dumb as Shia.

by Anonymousreply 17104/04/2013

Poor Alec looks miserable.

by Anonymousreply 17204/05/2013

If Shia is such a horror, why is he cast in all these high-profile projects like Robert Redford's new film?

by Anonymousreply 17304/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!