Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think this article about the current state of HIV/AIDS does more harm than good?

The intent of the article is to highlight the fact that some people who think/know they have HIV don't seek treatment because they mistakenly believe an HIV diagnosis is an automatic death sentence. The author claims that progression to AIDS is entirely avoidable with the right drugs, and even advocates for eventually doing away with the term "AIDS."

While the article is well-intentioned, and I'm certain that it's true to some extent, what really comes through in the article is that HIV/AIDS is a manageable disease and that poz people live long lives and usually die of something unrelated to their poz status. In this age of increasing barebacking, I think it's irresponsible to reinfornce the belief that HIV is just another disease that's manageable by popping a pill a day. The article doesn't even discuss the many negative side effects of the drugs that can adversely affect one's quality of life. I'm neg, thankfully, but I worry about the ongoing mentality that HIV is just not big a deal.

Text of article at link.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

Only idiots and old people read Huffington Post.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

That's an interesting article. It gives lots of informative information about the disease as we know of it today. However, I think in certain cases, its always best to treat anyone that you have sex with as a possible carrier of the disease (even if they say they have been recently tested.) Some of us actually know people who were told they had nothing to worry about (by the people they had sex with), only to discover that the guy (or in a few cases a girl), actually had the virus/disease. A pals brother just died of AIDS. He got it from his wife (who cheated on him allegedly), with a man who had/has the disease. Another pal got the disease from a hot guy he met at the gym. He said the guy insisted over and over that he was clean and didn't care for condoms. I begged him not to have sex without condoms, but, he put his desires before his life & health. Very sad indeed.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

OP are you serious? Do you even read the threads here? The young have been thinking that for awhile based on what I've read here. Hence the "bugchasers".

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

r3 Here, sorry if I came off bitchy in my response, OP, but honestly I have read many of the AIDS threads here and there is always some young dummy saying how it's not a death sentence anymore and therefore not a big deal. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.