Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Great tasting water!!

Body found in hotel water tank

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16605/04/2013

Ewww...

Is it common for hotels to have their own water tanks on the roof? Wouldn't they just tap into the main line?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 102/20/2013

It was a big story here in LA and in her hometown of Vancouver. She was originally at "Stay" hotel nearby. The Cecil (where the tank is) is rather seedy, but their elevator security cameras caught her trying to hide in the elevator and try to get it to start and take her away from the lobby, but she finally gave up and the image of her leaving was the last seen of her alive.

Only staff and security can get onto the roof where the tanks are located and where she was found after all the complaints about the water.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 202/20/2013

Looked like she was trying to get away from someone in the elevator, but the elevator wouldn't work.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 302/20/2013

The pump water from the main to the roof for pressure

by Hannibal Lecterreply 402/20/2013

That area remains sketchy but the city keeps marketing it to tourists as they Next Great Thing.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 502/20/2013

Vancouver BC has its own sketchy areas, so she should have been able to recognize a bad area.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 602/20/2013

I think she was playing a hide and seek game (pushing the elevator buttons so it would stop on each floor, empty), with someone she just met and was flirting with, and decided to hide in the water tank and slipped. A tragic accident.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 702/20/2013

What was with the wildly waving arms though. Could she have been on drugs?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 802/20/2013

Mystery surrounds woman's body found in hotel water tank

February 20, 2013 | 7:40 am

There were few details Wednesday on how the body of a missing Canadian tourist ended up at the bottom of a water tank on the roof of a downtown hotel.

For days, residents of the Cecil Hotel thought something was amiss. At least one said there was flooding in one of the fourth-floor rooms, while others complained about weak water pressure. One of those complaints led a hotel maintenance worker to check Tuesday on one of the large metal water cisterns on the roof, where he discovered the body of an unidentified woman in her 20s at the bottom of the tank.

Authorities said late Tuesday the body was that of Elisa Lam, 21, a Vancouver, Canada, woman last seen at the hotel Jan. 31.

"We're not ruling out foul play," said LAPD Sgt. Rudy Lopez, noting that the location of the remains "makes it suspicious."

Los Angeles police investigators searched the roof of the Cecil with the aid of dogs when Lam was reported missing about three weeks ago. Lopez said he didn't know if the tanks were examined.

"We did a very thorough search of the hotel," he said. "But we didn't search every room; we could only do that if we had probable cause" that a crime had been committed.

Once a destination for the rich and famous in the 1930s and '40s, the Cecil has gradually deteriorated, mirroring the decay of downtown Los Angeles, particularly in the skid row area. With rock-bottom rents and flexible stays, the historic 1927 building attracted those who were a step away from homelessness.

The Cecil also became a magnet for criminal activity. Most notably it was the occasional home to infamous serial killers Jack Unterweger and Richard "Night Stalker" Ramirez. Even after a multimillion-dollar makeover in 2008, police said they frequently respond to the Cecil for calls relating to domestic abuse and narcotics.

In 2010, the hotel was the scene of a bizarre incident in which a Los Angeles city firefighter who had been honored as paramedic of the year said he was stabbed while responding to a distress call. But police found inconsistencies in the story and no assailant was ever located.

On Tuesday, the Cecil grappled with a deeper mystery. According to detectives with the LAPD's Robbery-Homicide Division, Lam came to Los Angeles from Vancouver on Jan. 26. While they did not discuss her exact movements or whether she visited anyone here, they believe her ultimate destination was Santa Cruz. Lam's reasons for visiting California were unclear, detectives said.

She was last seen Jan. 31 inside the elevator of the hotel. In surveillance footage, Lam is seen pushing buttons for multiple floors and at one point stepping out of the elevator, waving her arms. A cause of death is still to be determined by county coroner’s officials, Lopez said.

A locked door that only employees have access to and a fire escape are the only ways to get to the roof. The door is equipped with an alarm system that notifies hotel personnel if someone is up there, Lopez said.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 902/20/2013

This was in a VERY creepy and depressing-ass movie with Jennifer Connelly some years back. I can't remember the name of it, however.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1002/20/2013

I saw that movie. Black Water?? It was set in a creepy apartment building on Roosevelt Island which also seems depressing.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1102/20/2013

Ugh, those patrons had to shower in corpse water.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1202/20/2013

Oh yes, it was called Dark Water. I wanted to kill myself after seeing it.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1402/20/2013

If you check the website of the Cecil Hotel you see how it is very misleading. Reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, one discovers the abject horror of tourists who have stayed there.

It was a terrible choice for a young, small, single woman to stay in. But it wasn't her fault or the family's fault given the falshood of the website.

I cannot fathom arriving at the Cecil Hotel as a tourist who is unfamiliar with Los Angeles.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1502/20/2013

OP, start another thread under a new name for us murder junkies. I thought this was about bottled water and finally opened it 3 hours later to see it was a murder thread.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1602/20/2013

I thought she was at the "Stay" hotel nearby. I don't think she was staying at the Cecil, but ended up in its elevator somehow.

"Stay" isn't too great, either.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1702/20/2013

Autopsy may answer questions on body found in hotel water tank

February 20, 2013 | 10:26 am

Authorities hope an autopsy will answer questions surrounding the death of a missing Canadian tourist whose body was found inside a water tank atop a downtown Los Angeles hotel.

Police confirmed Tuesday the body of Elisa Lam, 21, was pulled from a tank at the Cecil Hotel. Lam, who authorities said traveled to California from Vancouver on Jan. 26, was last seen Jan. 31 at the hotel.

An autopsy has not yet been scheduled for the woman but would likely occur Thursday morning, Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said.

Winter said investigators were still trying to determine how and why Lam got in the water tank and had "no idea" yet how long she may have been inside. The matter is being treated as a death investigation, he said.

Law enforcement officials familiar with the case said although foul play was always a possibility, they are closely examining whether her death might have been accidental.

Lam's body was discovered by a hotel worker checking out complaints of weak water pressure, police said. She was reporting missing about three weeks ago. Her exact reasons for coming to California were unclear, but police said they believe her ultimate destination was Santa Cruz. Detectives have not discussed her exact movements or whether she had visited anyone here.

Last week, police released video of Lam inside a Cecil Hotel elevator. In surveillance footage, Lam is seen pushing buttons for multiple floors and at one point stepping out of the elevator, waving her arms.

Investigators searched the roof of the Cecil with the aid of dogs when Lam was first reported missing. Sgt. Rudy Lopez said he didn't know if the tanks were examined.

"We did a very thorough search of the hotel," he said. "But we didn't search every room; we could only do that if we had probable cause" that a crime had been committed.

A locked door that only employees have access to and a fire escape are the only ways to get to the roof. The door is equipped with an alarm system that notifies hotel personnel if someone is up there, Lopez said.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1802/20/2013

The Stay is just a few floors of the Cecil that were converted to a hostel of some sort. But the Stay shared floors and an elevator with the Cecil--possibly bathrooms and showers as well.

Eveidently the area is home base for gang members, drug dealers, and the severly mentally ill. The difference between this area and Vancouver's drug den would still be be striking. Poor girl.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 1902/20/2013

That video is not of a girl in terror. She looks like she's playing a game.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2002/20/2013

Maybe she was drunk or high. Do those cisterns have covers on them or what? It's possible she fell in one.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2102/20/2013

Just like Peticoat Junction!

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2202/20/2013

She's wasted.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2302/20/2013

I stayed at the Cecil in 2006 for a week when I visited Los Angeles.

It was cheap and clean, but I'd never stay there again. It was full of long term residents, most of whom were druggies or creepers or crazies. The rest of the guests were European and American tourists just looking to save a few bucks. I wasn't surprised to hear that this young woman went missing and wound up dead at the Cecil.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2402/20/2013

I swear I read they found another body

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2502/20/2013

Water in a water tower is used for water pressure, not for domestic use.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2602/20/2013

[quote]Water in a water tower is used for water pressure, not for domestic use.

???

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2702/20/2013

Here's the really creepy part of this story: many are speculating that on the video, where Ms. Lam is acting so incoherently and weird in the elevator, she may have already died--meaning that what you are seeing is her ghost!

And her wild gesturing to an invisible person is another ghost.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2802/20/2013

The Water S’wells Little did I know that the story of NYC water towers that dot our skyline starts way back in the 1800’s, as the NYC population dramatically increased and housing/apartment buildings started to grow higher.  To prevent excessively high water pressure (which could burst pipes) when trying to reach these higher floors , the city then (and now) required buildings higher than six stories to be equipped with a rooftop water tower.   The original water tower builders were barrel makers who expanded their craft to meet these new building requirements.  As then, no sealant is used with these wooden structures to hold the water in.  Wooden walls, which are not painted or chemically treated so as not to taint the water flavor, are held together with cables.  At first, the walls leak until water saturates the wood that swells to close the gaps which then become impermeable.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 2902/20/2013

The Cecil Hotel is a notoriously haunted place, listed amongst the ten most haunted locations in the U.S.

Her murderer must be a staff person or someone who had access (or stolen) the key to the roof area and water tanks. This has to be a murder--she was to slight to even climb into the tanks or lift the covers.

If the video footage is in fact of her ghost, then the timeing of her murder and abduction will be discordant with the investigation.

however, if that is her 'live' body seen, than it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who had possession of the roof keys or where it was placed at the time.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3002/20/2013

Talk about a stiff drink.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3102/20/2013

Tanks for the memories.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3202/20/2013

Because of the Dorner murder spree taking the LAPD's focus and manpower, someone thought they could get away with murder.

This tells me that it was likely a resident or staff, someone keyed in with the mood of the city.

Or, it could have been a tourist who figured they would be long gone before anyone ever found her.

Dorner was bad news for this young woman.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3302/20/2013

[quote] If the video footage is in fact of her ghost, then the timeing of her murder and abduction will be discordant with the investigation.

Jesus fucking Christ, I can't believe the tools who post here these days.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3402/21/2013

Why do you suppose she pressed all the buttons on the elevator and then later on, seemed to be inspecting them closely? It almost looked as if she could've had the elevator key that keeps the doors held open. Am I the only one who sees it? Not the actual key, but her tinkering in the area where one would insert the key.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3502/21/2013

I don't know why any female would want to travel alone, especially to the seediest side of a big city she's not too familiar with.

Cecil Hotel is near skid row. I got lost at night around there and I swear I was in a 3rd World country. Why would a young woman want to put herself in harm's way?

One stupid American tourist murdered in Turkey and now a stupid Canadian murdered in Los Angeles.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3602/21/2013

R22. You made me LAUGH! Maybe she could have been saved if Uncle Joe hadn't been a-movin' kinda slow.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3702/21/2013

She was strung out on Humira.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3802/21/2013

[quote]One stupid American tourist murdered in Turkey

I can't find any updates on her murder. Was she meeting a guy there that she met online?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 3902/21/2013

Has the hotel explained why the elevator door wouldn't close and why the elevator didn't work?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4002/21/2013

Was she not a blonde, young American woman?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4102/21/2013

Re:the dead American in Turkey

The guy she met on the Internet said he had sex with her in a bar bathroom the night before she died. I totally disbelieve him. What woman travels all the way to Turkey to fuck in a bar bathroom? She had a room at a hostel. They could have gone there and had sex. I think he raped her and then killed her. The homeless guy they are looking for is a scapegoat. The Turkish police won't arrest the other guy. They want to make it seem like this whorey American woman got what she deserved by traveling alone to cheat on her husband.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4202/21/2013

Thanks R42. I had no idea she had planned to hook up with someone she met online.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4302/21/2013

r4, what the fuck are you talking about? ...that's not the guy that was on A List dallas.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4402/21/2013

[quote]Here's the really creepy part of this story: many are speculating that on the video, where Ms. Lam is acting so incoherently and weird in the elevator, she may have already died--meaning that what you are seeing is her ghost!

Okay, I hope you are joking. Otherwise, you come across as kind of, putting it gently, crazy.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4502/21/2013

Innocent people were showering and brushing their teeth in vagina water. Oh, the humanity.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4602/21/2013

The secret's in the sauce!

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4702/21/2013

You know, the more I look at her and read about this, the more I believe she is that crazy Asian woman from "The Grudge" who lived in the well.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4802/21/2013

Maybe she thought it was the hotel jacuzzi?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 4902/21/2013

OP is suffering from the delusion that his tap water doesn't have corpse in it.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5002/21/2013

I don't think that's her ghost. I believe a full spectrum camera must be used to capture ghosts because they register at a different frequencies than our own.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5102/21/2013

"I don't know why any female would want to travel alone, especially to the seediest side of a big city she's not too familiar with. "

I'm a woman, and I travel alone on occasion. It's lovely! No arguments about what to do next or how much to spend, you just do whatever seems fun at the moment. However, I research the hell out of the area before I book a hotel, and I won't say I spare no expense but hotels in good areas run into money.

Perhaps this poor woman couldn't afford to stay at my favorite place in Beverly Hills.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5202/21/2013

She seems to be hiding from someone, tries to get away in the elevator, but the elevator door won't close. She then seems to be talking to someone, explaining that she pressed all the buttons in the elevator but it's not working.

She seems frightened to me, then tries to steel herself to go out of the elevator to confront whoever is out there. The person who is out there in the hall knows the elevator has CCTV, so he never puts himself in a position to be captured on video.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5302/21/2013

Hey OP, your choice of title is tasteless and depressing.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5402/21/2013

R41, the media only cares about blonds and asians. They're only mirroring the interests of you and the public. I know, a hard pill to swallow.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5502/21/2013

[quote]The guy she met on the Internet said he had sex with her in a bar bathroom the night before she died. I totally disbelieve him. What woman travels all the way to Turkey to fuck in a bar bathroom? She had a room at a hostel. They could have gone there and had sex. I think he raped her and then killed her. The homeless guy they are looking for is a scapegoat. The Turkish police won't arrest the other guy. They want to make it seem like this whorey American woman got what she deserved by traveling alone to cheat on her husband. [/quote]

That woman went there to transport drugs. Plain and simple. She either reneged on the deal or it went bad some how.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5602/21/2013

She has a weird look on her face right after she presses the buttons. I wonder if she saw someone in the mirror across from the elevator.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5702/21/2013

It's weird. She doesn't really look scared but the way she presses herself into the corner makes it seem like she's hiding from someone. What I don't understand is why/what she is doing outside the elevator where we can't see her very well. The waving of the arms makes me think she's talking to someone but then she comes back into the elevator.

What was wrong with the elevator anyway? Maybe she was talking to someone about the elevator.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5802/21/2013

She doesn't seem all that scared to me either. If she was frightened, she'd have run out of the elevator and not just stayed there. Plus, pushing all of the buttons doesn't really indicate she was in much of a hurry.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 5902/21/2013

Update on their drinking water.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — British tourist Michael Baugh and his wife said water had only dribbled out of the taps at the downtown Cecil Hotel for days.

On Tuesday, after showering, brushing their teeth and drinking some of the tap water, they headed down to the lobby and found out why.

The body of a Canadian woman had been discovered at the bottom of one of four cisterns on the roof of the historic hotel near Skid Row. The tanks provide water for hotel taps and would have been used by guests for washing and drinking.

"The moment we found out, we felt a bit sick to the stomach, quite literally, especially having drank the water, we're not well mentally," Michael Baugh, 27, said.

Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials issued a do-not-drink order Tuesday while its lab analyzes the water, said Terrance Powell, a director coordinating the department's response. The disclosure contradicts a previous police statement that the water had been deemed safe. Results of the testing were expected by Thursday.

Powell said the water was also used for cooking in the hotel; a coffee shop in the hotel would remain closed and has been instructed to sanitize its food equipment before reopening.

"Our biggest concern is going to be fecal contamination because of the body in the water," Powell said. He said the likelihood of contamination is "minimal" given the large amount of water the body was found in, but the department is being extra cautious.

Powell said the hotel hired a water treatment specialist after the department required it to do so to disinfect its plumbing lines.

A call to the hotel was not returned.

The remains of Elisa Lam, 21, were found by a maintenance worker at the 600-room hotel that charges $65 a night after guests complained about the low water pressure.

Police detectives were working to determine if her death was the result of foul play or an accident.

LAPD Sgt. Rudy Lopez called it suspicious and said a coroner's investigation will determine Lam's cause of death.

Before she died, hotel surveillance footage showed Lam inside an elevator pushing buttons and sticking her head out the doors, looking in both directions. She was later found in the water tank.

Lam, of Vancouver, British Columbia, traveled alone to Los Angeles on Jan. 26 and was last seen five days later by workers at the hotel.

Lopez said the hotel has four cisterns on its roof that are each about 10 feet tall, 4.5 feet wide and hold at least 1,000 gallons of water pumped up from city pipes.

Lam's body was found Tuesday morning at the bottom of one cistern that was about three-quarters full of water, Lopez said.

The opening at the top of the cistern is too small to accommodate firefighters and equipment, so they had to cut a hole in the storage tank to recover Lam's body.

The cisterns are on a platform at least 10 feet above the roof.

To get to the tanks, someone would have to go to the top floor then take a staircase with a locked door and emergency alarm preventing roof access.

Another ladder would have to be taken to the platform and a person would have to climb the side of the tank.

Lopez said there are no security cameras on the roof.

Lam intended to travel to Santa Cruz, about 350 miles north of Los Angeles. Officials said she tended to use public transportation and had been in touch with her family daily until she disappeared.

The Cecil Hotel was built in the 1920s and refurbished several years ago. The hotel is on Main Street in a part of downtown where efforts at gentrification often conflicts with homelessness and crime. It had once been the occasional home of infamous serial killers such as Richard Ramirez, known as the Night Stalker, and Austrian prison author Jack Unterweger, who was convicted of murdering nine prostitutes in Europe and the U.S., the Los Angeles Times reported.

By noon Wednesday, the Cecil Hotel had relocated 27 rooms used by guests to another hotel, but 11 rooms remained filled, Powell said. Those who chose to remain in the hotel were required to sign a waiver in which they acknowledged being informed of the health risks and were being provided bottled water, Powell said.

Baugh and his wife, who were on their first trip to the U.S., had planned to go to SeaWorld on Wednesday. Instead, they were trying to find a new hotel. Their tour agency placed them in another downtown hotel with a less than sterling reputation, from what they heard.

"We're just going from one dodgy place to another," Baugh said, resigned, "but at least there's water."

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6002/21/2013

Just how sanitary is a roof tank? How did she get in there?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6102/21/2013

You'd be amazed what you can fall into

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6202/21/2013

That's the mystery R61.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6302/21/2013

[Quote]"The water did have a funny taste," Sabrina Baugh told CNN on Wednesday. She and her husband used the water for eight days. "We never thought anything of it," the British woman said. "We thought it was just the way it was here." What she described was not normal. "The shower was awful," she said. "When you turned the tap on, the water was coming black first for two seconds and then it was going back to normal."

Ick

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6402/21/2013

Why wasn't her body floating? If she had been in the tank for days wouldn't her body be filled with gas?

If the door to the rooftop has an alarm to notify security someone is on the roof, then wasn't someone alerted at some point that the door had been opened?

Why wasn't the elevator moving?

Was there any other footage taken of the girl during her stay at the hotel?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6502/21/2013

They don't always float in the beginning, sometimes never. Likely the pressure of the water pushed her against the drain. Not a pretty sight.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6602/21/2013

She just seemed really out of it in that video on the elevator - not scared, not happy. It doesn't even seem like she's talking to anyone at all - just making hand movements like she were dancing in her own little world.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6702/21/2013

Why do people think that video is her ghost? That's an awfully big conclusion to jump to. To me it looks like she's on drugs.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6802/21/2013

Is there another video showing more of her actions? This one shows her only in the elevator for a brief amount of time.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 6902/21/2013

Its all on youtube, the extended version. cecil hotel los angeles

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7002/21/2013

The cause of death of a Canadian tourist whose body was found inside a water tank atop a downtown Los Angeles hotel will be deferred pending toxicology tests, coroner's officials said Thursday.

The body of Elisa Lam, 21, was pulled from a tank at the Cecil Hotel on Tuesday. Lam, who authorities said traveled to California from Vancouver on Jan. 26, was last seen Jan. 31 at the hotel.

Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said the autopsy on Lam was completed. He would not say whether the medical examination found visible signs of trauma on the body.

But Winter said toxicology tests, which would take six to eight weeks to complete, would help determine if Lam was taking medication or another substance at the time of her death and whether any such medication was at therapeutic levels. He did not elaborate.

Winter also did not reveal whether coroner's investigators had determined how Lam got into the water tank or how long she may have been inside. The matter is being treated as a death investigation, he said.

Law enforcement officials familiar with the case said that although foul play is always a possibility, they are closely examining whether Lam's death might have been accidental.

The body was discovered by a hotel worker checking out complaints of weak water pressure, police said.

Lam was reporting missing about three weeks ago. Her reasons for coming to California were unclear, but police said they believe her ultimate destination was Santa Cruz. Detectives have not discussed her exact movements or whether she had visited anyone here.

Last week, police released video of Lam inside a Cecil Hotel elevator. In surveillance footage, Lam is seen pushing buttons for multiple floors and at one point stepping out of the elevator, waving her arms.

Investigators searched the roof of the Cecil with the aid of dogs when Lam was first reported missing. Sgt. Rudy Lopez said he didn't know whether the tanks were examined.

The only ways to get to the roof are a locked door that only employees have access to and a fire escape. The door is equipped with an alarm system that notifies hotel personnel if someone is up there, Lopez said.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7102/21/2013

Alvin Taylor, 68, was disgusted to learn there was a body in the cistern above the Cecil Hotel that supplied the water he showered and brushed his teeth with.

"I've been torn up just thinking about it," the 35-year resident of the hotel said. "It's scary."

Residents are being moved to the Mayfair Hotel nearby until the water is deemed safe, which is expected to be Saturday, Taylor said.

Authorities discovered the body of Elicia Lam, a 21-year-old Vancouver tourist, inside a water tank on the hotel's roof Tuesday. A maintenance worker discovered her body after receiving complaints from Cecil residents about low water pressure.

The residents, many of whom have lived there for years, are required to sign a waiver every time they enter the hotel. Cecil employees declined to provide a copy of the wavier to The Times.

The hotel was flushing out its water pipes, Taylor was told. A steady stream of water gushed out from a pipe on the street in front of the Cecil on Thursday afternoon.

The entrance of the lobby was flooding, with a bucket and towels sitting on the floor to catch the water.

Health officials were expected to release the results of their tests on the water Thursday afternoon.

"I didn't think anything of it until they found the body," said Taylor, who intends to move back in once the water is cleaned out. "I'll just stay somewhere else until they fix it."

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7202/21/2013

Why won't the police say why she was in LA? Surely her family must know why she went to CA?

Did she have a history of mental problems?

Did she have a history of drug taking?

Why is LAPD so closed mouthed? I'm sure they'll find it was a suicide because LAPD are incompetent assholes who can't be bothered to do a real investigation.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7302/21/2013

There was a horror movie like this... Dark Waters or something...

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7402/21/2013

A guy has lived there for 35 years? Wow. What a dismal sort of life. Not a pretty neighborhood.

And what is this about???

"The residents, many of whom have lived there for years, are required to sign a waiver every time they enter the hotel. Cecil employees declined to provide a copy of the wavier to The Times."

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7502/21/2013

I'm not sure what to think. She looks like she's playing hide and seek.

Maybe she had a psychotic episode.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7602/21/2013

I'm really intrigued by this. Someone on another site posted a pic of the elevator buttons in that hotel and the bottom button that she pressed was "Elevator Hold". Apparently the maker of the elevator, Otis, said that the button will hold the doors open until it is reset. If you watch the full 4 minute video, you eventually see the door close and then go to all of the floors she pressed.

The very first time I watched this, I immediately suspected she was on hallucinogens. I tried watching it thinking she was scared but I don't buy it. Her body language is exaggerated and doesn't seem normal. Since she was near skid row, it's possible someone drugged her. Dumping a body into water is a great way to destroy evidence, such as bodily fluids, signs of rape, etc.

My bets are it was an employee of the hotel

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7702/21/2013

[quote]My bets are it was an employee of the hotel

That's the only explanation for getting around the roof alarm -- the murderer was the one who "responded" to it.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7802/21/2013

The county insists that the water from the tanks is "clean" but won't let anyone continue to drink it.

LA County insists that the chlorine added to drinking water was enough to kill the germs from her bodily fluids/rotting corpse.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 7902/21/2013

Well, I certainly don't want any of your body-water.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8002/22/2013

So nasty, R79. Ew. Has her family made any kind of statement?

I knew Cecil reminded me of: the Carter NYC!

Funny link.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8102/22/2013

Read r81's article!

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8202/22/2013

Some of R81's link contains some very sordid details of murders at seedy hotels. My favorite line:

[quote]The corpse, wrapped in plastic bags, was discovered yesterday by a chambermaid at the Hotel Carter who reached beneath a bed and felt a foot.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8302/22/2013

/ AP Photo/Los Angeles Police Department, File (CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES -

An autopsy on Canadian tourist Elisa Lam's body failed to determine whether she was killed or died accidentally in a giant water cistern on top of a downtown Los Angeles hotel roof.

The results were inconclusive, so coroner's officials said Thursday they will have to wait for toxicological tests to determine a cause of death for 21-year-old Lam, of Vancouver, British Columbia.

---------

WTF? They can't even determine a cause of death? Did she drown? Was she dead when she went into the water? They should be able to tell even with a decomposed body.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8402/22/2013

"My bets are it was an employee of the hotel"

That is what I think.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8502/22/2013

This is what you get when you got no damn guns. At least with gunshots you know the cause of death.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8602/22/2013

Let me tell you the problem with Asians in your water tank.... you take a drink and then you are thristy 30 minutes later.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8702/22/2013

The TripAdvisor reviews for the hotel are hysterically funny (start with the one star).

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8802/22/2013

Many of the reviews mention dirty, smelly water MONTHS AGO. No wonder the residents didn't notice any difference.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 8902/22/2013

Maybe a serial killer works at the hotel.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9002/22/2013

When I stayed there, the water was foul. I bought bottled water, but there was nothing to be done about bathing.

Also, agree that it was an employee who killed her. The hotel had skanky looking illegals working there, especially the men. The guy who did it is probably back in Mexico now.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9102/22/2013

I'll bet those tanks weren't too pristine to begin with, but it is odd how the police and coroner are acting about this case.

Maybe she called the police for help and received none.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9202/23/2013

LAPD is a crock of shit. Do they ever actually solve cases? I think they just shoot people and say, "Oh yeah, he was the perp. That guy over there with the bullet in his head did it. Case solved. "

I totally disbelieve the "hit" list that LAPD shooter Dorner supposedly came up with. It was written by other cops to make him look ridiculous and insane.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9302/23/2013

Stayed there in the mid nineties. Hookers knocked on all the doors looking for customers. The smells and sounds were like a horror movie come alive.

Filled mostly with sad, old, alcoholics. A life experience I'll never forget.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9402/23/2013

This woman's name was Elisa Lam and the TB antigen test is called the LAM ELISA. It's just her name in reverse.

Also, right after the news of her mysterious death the media has announced a TB epeidemic in downtown Los Angeles, where she was murdered, with her body contaminating the water supply of a fleabag hotel.

Her murder likely coincided with the Dorner drama which monopolized the LAPD's workload.

This case is absolutely too weird to believe.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9502/23/2013

I don't put anything past real estate developers. I suspect real estate developers were behind the Katrina catastrophe, as there were plans for decades to build resort casinos in now devastated areas.

I'm sure many would love to clean out downtown LA of its inhabitants without one iota of remorse.

This whole Elisa Lam, LAM ELISA, TB epidemic thing is highly suspect.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9602/23/2013

If Dorner murdered Elisa Lam then it would explain his wanting to take LAPD resources away from downtown and clutter up the media with his grievances.

The timing of the this whole thing is very, very suspect.

Dorner did murder one Asian woman--maybe he was into that--he had a type.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9702/23/2013

Thanks to the Bradley girls bathing in the Cannonball's water tower, it smelled like there was a sardine canning factory between Hooterville and Pixley.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9802/23/2013

Red rum

by Hannibal Lecterreply 9902/24/2013

It's all about the water now. No progress on the case itself?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10002/24/2013

As an avid international traveler, I must say that my stay at the Cecil Hotel was exceptional. The service was spot-on, the staff tremendous. In fact, the staff was very pro-active and gracious during my stay, anticipating my every need always with a smile. From the fresh towels and maid service to the extra down-comforters and complimentary wake-up calls-- there was no request that the Cecil Hotel staff could not handle with ease.

The building itself was amazing-- from the grand lobby to the beautiful common areas. The rooms are quite large with a very comfortable and spacious bed which really gives the Westin's "Heavenly Bed" a run for its money. The only thing that I felt was missing was a balcony, which would have allowed me to truly soak in the beautiful city views and surreal surroundings from the comfort of my own room. This is the only factor which prevented me from assigning this property a perfect five out of five stars.

All-in-all, I would be heartbroken to stay at any other hotel within the city as it truly is a unique gem for leisure and business travelers alike. This would be a wonderful location to stay at with a loved one for a special occasion and an even better choice to take the family to on an annual vacation. The Cecil Hotel provides travelers with the opportunity to experience the lavish Los Angeles lifestyle in an upscale hotel with splendid surroundings without breaking the bank.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10102/24/2013

The cops are handling this case far differently than expected...

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10202/24/2013

The video reminds me of the one victim of Jeffrey Dahmer who escaped and ran outside naked and incoherent. The police gave him back to Dahmer, who finished what he started.

I think somebody drugged her, and she (very briefly) escaped..

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10302/24/2013

Can't Canadian journalists talk to the family and ask why she was in CA? Can they talk to friends of hers --- or try to find friends. Maybe she was schizo and didn't have friends, but shouldn't Canada be trying to find out this kind if thing? LAPD will stonewall everyone and give no info on the case.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10402/24/2013

I stayed there for about two weeks in 1968. Hooked up with a hottie from a nearby gay bar, took him back to my room and then had to show him the door because he wanted me to whip him bloody with my leather belt with the big buckle.

I was shocked! Shocked!

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10502/24/2013

I like whipping the willing.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10602/24/2013

lol r101

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10702/24/2013

The polite thing to do is to make these bizarre sexual requests before you leave the bar and rule out everybody else who just wants to fuck like normal people. Poor R105.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10802/24/2013

Is this the only thread about this case? I thought it would be much more discussed here but apparently I'm wrong.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 10902/24/2013

R109 you took the words out of my mouth. Came to to post the same thing. Is there any news in this case?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11002/26/2013

R101, WTF? Did they give you a free caftan, too? I thought this was a slum hotel.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11102/26/2013

[quote]Why wasn't the elevator moving?

If it was really a ghost pressing the buttons then of course the elevator wouldn't move. Ghosts can't physically touch objects or press buttons.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11202/26/2013

The latest is that she left no footprints leading to the water towers so she was carried there.

Interpol is looking for a suspect who is believed to have left the country.

Likely scenario: she met another traveler at the Stay, they took drugs or he gave her drugs, she od'd, and he dumped her body in the tank.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11302/26/2013

So this missing suspect is not one of the employees? Still wondering how did she/they get through the door to the roof.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11402/26/2013

You wonder how many people you interact with every day: sharing an elevator, sitting beside in a restaurant, riding on the bus... have some nefarious deed on their mind, looking for a victim. We just assume everyone is cool and normal.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11502/26/2013

The alarmed door is NOT the only way to get to the roof, there is a fire escape!

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11602/26/2013

What is everybody so grossed out about, we're all going to die sometime.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11702/26/2013

As a general rule, biohazards gross people out.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11802/26/2013

[quote]The alarmed door is NOT the only way to get to the roof, there is a fire escape!

But the roof had a motion sensor that tripped an alarm...

Supposedly.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 11902/26/2013

I still haven't watched the Elisa Lam video. Is it really that creepy?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12002/26/2013

Is the rooftop alarm ever inspected? Regardless, it would probably be easy to gain access to the roof by slipping workers some cash.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12102/26/2013

Hey, she was Canadian. She thought it was a bidet.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12202/27/2013

In case you are interested and have too much time to kill, here are some threads discussing this case with tons of theories and details...

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12302/28/2013

It's very creepie.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12403/01/2013

Did you read the other day that someone turned on the water and part of a toe bone came out of the tap?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12503/01/2013

I hope that's not real, r125

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12603/01/2013

I still don't understand why the police are being so secretive. Any Canadians know her or her family? Are they on the up and up?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12703/01/2013

Comment from r123's link:

A few observations from a local:

• I have spoken to someone who saw and spoke with Elisa in the Last Bookstore on January 31. (Yes, they have contacted police.) She was being inappropriately talkative and pesky with other customers, which combined with the purchasing heavy items (books and records) while mid-way through a trip and on a budget, supports the suggestion of mania.

• I'm inclining towards the theory that the odd behavior in the elevator video shows sleepwalking, possibly drug-induced. If Elisa walked west on Fifth Street out of the doors of the Last Bookstore, one very short block would bring her to Broadway. Drug dealers blatantly sell all kinds of pills along this street and in front of the Rite-Aid drugstore at all hours of the day and night. It's not inconceivable that an occasionally insomniac and possibly manic individual might have purchased a sleeping pill on the street, and later suffered a bad reaction. (Sources: personal observation, Downtown News, Yelp)

• Some people have suggested that the supposedly dark reputation of the Cecil Hotel might have drawn Elisa to stay there. The Cecil's reputation has been much enhanced by recent news coverage, which has included false claims ("The Black Dahlia stayed there" - CNN) that make it seem ever spookier.

• Jeffrey David Kelly, producer of the YouTube on-the-scene videos (universalnetworknews) linked above, is a neighborhood fixture. He's kind of intense, but has never struck me as a source of concern. He has another YouTube channel dedicated to his alternative Catholic theological pursuits.

• Also on his universalnetworknews YouTube channel are two clips (1, 2) related to the massive Christopher Dorner manhunt that LAPD and other Southern California police agencies were engaged in in early February. The impact on the Dorner search on all other police investigations in Los Angeles cannot be overstated. Between February 6, when Dorner was named as the suspect in the February 3 Irvine murders, until February 13, when the suspect's body was found in the burned out cabin in Big Bear, this case absorbed massive police manpower. Chief Beck admitted to journalists that less important police work was being neglected while his officers focused on the manhunt. On February 14, the first "normal" day after the Dorner manhunt ends, the elevator video is released, two full weeks after Elisa disappeared.

One has to ask: Would this video have been released earlier under different circumstances? And how much time and attention was dedicated to the police search for Elisa between February 6-13? The answer may prove embarrassing to LAPD. It may also explain why so little information is being given out about the case.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12803/01/2013

Another quote from r123's link:

I really really think she is on an ambien sleepwalk. And for anyone who says she doesn't look like she could be under the influence of anything because she is too steady on her feet....do NOT understand what someone acts like on ambien.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 12903/01/2013

The reason she floated and decomposed in that tank for so long is that the LAPD dropped the ball while on its self-preservation mission against Dorner.

Those cops there always put themselves first -- over civilians, over safety, even over law.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13003/02/2013

R129, I am a sleepwalker or was one, haven't had an episode in a couple of year, but I was never on any medication.

I have done some odd things and I do not remember them all.

However, one time I remember walking, but I was not stumbling and neither walking normal. It was sort of a slow amble.

I do not see the victim's actions as like a sleepwalker. Her movements are too swift.

Plus, she ducks, hides in the elevator, and peers out as if she's searching for someone.

These actions are not indicative of a sleepwalker, because sleepwalkers generally are not aware of others in that way. Yet, we do see people, but it's not as if we are that focused on them. Sleepwalkers might interact with others, but the victims was too alert on someone.

My thought is she was either just a weird individual, was in a manic stage, or a bit doped up, and she came in harm's way.

Re: Ambien

Someone mentioned she was acting odd in a bookstore. Those symptoms does not fall in line with someone taking Ambien.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13103/03/2013

It creeps me out every time I think of this case.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13203/03/2013

Where is the video where she's acting all weird? I need to see it! Sounds kinda creepy..

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13303/03/2013

The autopsy report says the time of death is during her first night at the hotel. Yet the elevator video is dated a week later. This means the person in the video is not her. Why would somebody go through the trouble of impersonating her in the video? Find out the answer to that and you find your killer.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13403/03/2013

R134 where did you read that? Didn't she keep in touch with her family daily until the day she went missing?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13503/03/2013

[quote]Where is the video where she's acting all weird? I need to see it! Sounds kinda creepy..

Just google "Lam Tank" -- the video is all over the web.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13603/03/2013

It will be another month before the cops decide what to tell us about the tox results.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13703/04/2013

Crazy about the resident that lived in the Cecil Hotel for 35 years! They've cleaned up the Cecil in the last 10 years or so, but even as last as the '90s, the place was truly seedy and dangerous. He surely crossed paths with Night Stalker Richard Ramirez. Chilling.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13803/04/2013

Another dead Asian woman in the LA area -- this one found face down on the sand at Newport Beach.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 13903/04/2013

I hate how all of these cases are ssensationalized on the news, play on the public's fear, and it's the hot topic for a few day. And after a week, no new information is ever revealed and you rarely find out what happens. Guess these are just another L.A. "cold case."

Two years later and I'm still wondering what happened to that poor old gay man who was beheaded in Griffith Park.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14003/04/2013

What is there to know? Craigslist hookup in the park gone wrong.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14103/05/2013

Any updates?

Did anyone get sick from the corpse water?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14203/11/2013

[quote]Is it common for hotels to have their own water tanks on the roof? Wouldn't they just tap into the main line?

City water pressure will only pump water so high.

In NYC it's 5 stories, which is why so many old buildings maxed out at 5 stories.

Anything higher, needs a water tower (tank) on the roof and a pump to fill it.

Gravity supplies the water pressure from the tank on the roof to the entire building.

Old buildings have visible tanks on the roof. Newer buildings tend to hide them. Every skyscraper in the world has to pump water to their roof water tank.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14303/11/2013

Few New Yorkers realize, but there is a dead corpse in each one of those tanks.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14403/11/2013

R140, I'm not sure if it's the same case, but a human head and corpse found at that location turned out to be drug cartel related.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14503/11/2013

R140, I think there was some resolution to that case. There was someone who was arrested for beheading someone. I think the killer lived in the same apartment with the victim.

Not sure, but if not there was a similar case.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14603/12/2013

A couple days after this news broke I felt like playing photojournalist and decided to drive downtown LA- I'd been meaning to anyway to take some general photos. Depending on your perspective and opinion of downtown LA, it can either be a lively diverse place with new lofts they are throwing millions of dollars into with a lot of great, hip bars and arts scene or it's a shithole where you shouldn't walk alone. I think it genuinely is both. I drove down to Main and sleuthed around the Cecil. Well just the lobby (its pretty enough) and the surrounding neighborhood. It was about 3 pm on a weekend. Perhaps the area is better on a weekday but I was reminded how close to skid row the place is and you just can't imagine a tourist staying here. And if they naively did, they would promptly leave. I dont know what this girl could have beeen thinking, so she probably wasnt. one block away in any direction (actually just a few steps away) and you feel your heart rate rise as you are in the middle of drug dealing and crazies. They rule here. The thing about downtown LA is that it's not a bustling center of activity. Is rather quiet with long blocks of nothing but homeless, druggies, weirdos.. Yet mixed in with some cool architecture and shops and lofts. And you'd be just fine if you stayed within the bubble of Staples Center and the Ritz hotel. I'm curious who gets away managing the Cecil as their website touts it as this great place to stay, save a buck and see Hollywood. I wonder how many poor tourists are robbed or scared away from the city completely...

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14703/12/2013

r131 you know absolutely nothing about Ambien.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14803/12/2013

R147, you went on a weekend. Downtown LA is bustling during weekday business hours, and you feel deceptively safe among the business professionals, tourists, shoppers, store clerks, and parking attendants. But come 5-6 pm, the streets start emptying, and all the weirdos, winos, pushers, and addicts come out.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 14903/12/2013

Exactly!

You would think if it wasn't bustling with activity, why would you need the big tall buildings?

On the weekend, there is activity around the Staple Center and it's surrounding area.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15003/13/2013

R148, you know nothing about drug addicts, the naturally odd, or the mentally ill.

Not everything can be blamed on Ambien, especially since there is record that the victim was seen about town acting weird on more than one occasion.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15103/13/2013

Regarding the elevator tape. It's bugged me since I first saw it, and had no clue what she was doing. I realized that I wasn't looking at it very objectively. I asked some friends who hadn't heard of her death to look at the tape and tell me what they thought was going on. I asked them alot of questions about what they thought her mood was etc. They all thought it was young woman playing on and arround the elevator, maybe a bit drunk or high. When I told them she died soon after that video then they all started seeing other things in the tape that they didn't see before, even tho they had seen the tape a couple of times already. Leeds me to believe that I pretty much suck at trying to figure out true crime. Oh and it also helps to see the video in real time not speeded up like almost all the rest of them

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15203/13/2013

any news?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15303/18/2013

Bump

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15403/19/2013

Have they even come up with a cause of death?

It seems like nothing has changed at LAPD since the Manson killings.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15503/20/2013

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15603/23/2013

No there is no news. I often google hotel cecil news and the name of the girl

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15703/23/2013

Is Ronnie Chasen's case closed? Hers was a mysterious death, too.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15803/23/2013

So was it a ghost or not?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 15903/23/2013

I think this is going to be cold case. The police can't solve crime.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16003/26/2013

Uh, no r158. Ronni was killed by a black guy on a bike. A black guy who went totally unnoticed in chichi Beverly Hills, he just rode up on his bike and killed her and then pedaled away.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16103/26/2013

Anyone heard anything new about this?

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16204/02/2013

I haven't seen anything. I'm curious as well. I have a feeling the killer will get away on this case.

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16304/02/2013

hello LAPD?!!

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16405/04/2013

Wait a minute, I'll google Hotel Cecil News...

by Hannibal Lecterreply 16505/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.