Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kurt Cobain would have been 46 today

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 5510/24/2013

Frances Bean let's go target practice in memory I mean it don't shit on me you bitch I love you and you need to pay bring me some smokes tooo

Mom

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

Come as you are

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

Is he still dead?

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

Kurt Cobain...did his music ever have messages? Was he anti-government? Pro-gay? Was he ahead of his time? I'm lost by his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

We don't know, R4, because we couldn't understand a word he said.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

I just did a search on him. So far, I like what I read. He was very pro-gay.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

He would have been, but he wanted no part of it. He had 2 terminal conditions anyway (addiction, depression)and was done with suffering. I'm sure he'd have an interesting opinion of how Grohl and the others have gone Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

R4, just know that, during the time he started becoming popular, people still quipped of Seattle, "Would the last person to leave Seattle please turn off the lights?" It was tired, soggy and dying.

He and the grunge rock scene reinvigorated Seattle; Microsoft, Bill Gates, Starbucks and all that came soon after.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

How so with Bill Gates and Microsoft, R8? Was his music inspirational to Gates?

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

some website should make CGI age progression pics of what dead celebs would look like if they were still alive today.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

The connection between Kurt Cobain with...Neil Young

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2013

Cobain and grunge drew to Seattle lots of young people either right out of college or those who were still trying to make their way, figure out careers. It's the same sort of thing drawing young gentry to Brooklyn - there's a buzz about some 'new' place and suddenly, everyone wants to be there. Grunge made Seattle 'hot' again.

Gates and Microsoft are TODAY very much establishment entities, but in the early 90's, they were still pretty fresh and part of the whole new scene, what Seattle was about, what kinds of people were being drawn there.

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2013

Yes, Kurt was very much pro-gay, surprisingly so for the early 90s. He also described himself as a feminist. More from his Wikipedia:

- In a 1993 interview with The Advocate, Cobain claimed that he was "gay in spirit" and "probably could be bisexual."

- One of his personal journals states, "I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes."

Also:

In a 1994 interview he said, “I have nothing against heavy metal, except that some of it is pretty sexist,” which is like, “duh” now, but at the time was a rather progressive thing to say. The feud culminated with Rose calling Courtney Love a “bitch,” and Cobain telling fans that they couldn’t like Nirvana and support Guns ‘n’ Roses at the same time. “Those people are total sexist jerks, and the reason we’re playing this show is to fight homophobia in a real small way,” he told a crowd at a pro-gay rights benefit show. “[Axl Rose] is a fucking sexist and a racist and a homophobe, and you can’t be on his side and be on our side. I’m sorry that I have to divide this up like this, but it’s something you can’t ignore.”

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2013

Guns and Roses were douchbags and Cobain was more sensitive, however, all were hard-core druggies so to even believe anything that came out of their collective mouths is time- wasting.

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

[quote]He and the grunge rock scene reinvigorated Seattle; Microsoft, Bill Gates, Starbucks and all that came soon after.

?? Starbucks had been around since 1971. Microsoft moved to the Seattle area in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2013

Yes, but they didn't take off until the Clinton era.

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2013

Courtney goes back and forth with being conservative these days and was dating someone who has huge ties to the conservative party in GB.

Kurt would probably either be dead, homeless, divorced from her and possibly heading towards being a righty since he truly WAS into his gun thing in a big way despite his other liberal stances. They had loads of guns in that house & they all belonged to Kurt who loved guns.

Given today's politics with the gun issue Kurt would have sided with the NRA but possibly not publicly.

However he would be a nobody today, "Death As A Career Move" as Spin so eloquently put it on their cover after KC died.

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2013

god I loved Kurt Cobain. What a brilliant artist.

[r8] you're about two decades too late on that. The Boeing bust era "turn out the lights" billboard was in 1971. Kurt was in preschool out in Aberdeen at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2013

Cobain died 19 years ago today.

by Anonymousreply 2004/05/2013

trying again

by Anonymousreply 2104/05/2013

damn i feel old. thanks r20

by Anonymousreply 2204/05/2013

The weird thing about him is he was really hot in high school. I so would have done him then.

When he became a mopey grunge icon of the 90s he lost all his physical appeal.

by Anonymousreply 2304/05/2013

R8, I bought my coffee at Starbucks when I lived in Seattle 1978-81. I lived across Western Avenue from the Market.

There was punk all around then, but no grunge.

by Anonymousreply 2404/05/2013

R16, Microsoft moved from Albuquerque to Bellevue in 1981. In 1986, Microsoft moved to Redmond.

Gates and Allen were always going to come home to the Seattle area. They had grown up there and gone to Lakeside School together. They were just in Albuquerque because Allen happened to get hired to do software for the Altair company, headquartered in Albuquerque.

By the way, Microsoft was a huge player in the 1980s. I worked in the software industry at the time.

I actually think the presence of Microsoft on the Eastside had little to do with Seattle's grunge movement. The two populations didn't really intersect.

by Anonymousreply 2504/05/2013

Kurt was very pro gay. He was a big fan of Rupaul and Nirvana appeared on Ru's holiday special which was broadcast in Britain the Dec before his death.

by Anonymousreply 2604/05/2013

I don't understand this obsession with Kurt or Heath, is this the same troll posting all the time?

by Anonymousreply 2704/05/2013

If Cobain had not have killed himself, nobody would remember him. He was a one hit wonder.

by Anonymousreply 2804/05/2013

Cobain was one of our biggest straight allies in a very homophobic world. He actually said in a Rolling Stone interview that he urged fans that were against gays and women to not buy his records. Unheard of for a 1991 rock star. He made gay cool for a few years.

While he had his demons, he was a gifted, gifted songwriter who could sing a song, a simple song, maybe slightly off key, with so much emotion - be it anger, apathy, or sadness - in a way I've never heard from a rock singer.

I was a huge fan as a teenager and still am now as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 2904/05/2013

It's hard to imagine him in his forties. He seemed like one of those people whose destiny is to die young.

by Anonymousreply 3004/05/2013

ahh the good old 90s

by Anonymousreply 3104/05/2013

This is why we need stronger gun laws.

by Anonymousreply 3204/05/2013

Love Kurt

by Anonymousreply 3304/05/2013

RIP Kurt.

by Anonymousreply 3404/05/2013

To me, he was the John Lennon of my generation.

Talented, conflicted, and full of contradictions.

by Anonymousreply 3504/05/2013

Couldn't agree more R35. He could be a brat, wise, sad, full of life, a poet, and a simpleton all at once. Loved him and his music. I was 13 when I saw Nirvana play on SNL for the first time and it totally changed the course of my life. I quit playing sports, learned to play music, discovered punk and art and writing and books. I probably would have done that anyway, but Kurt was the original impetus.

by Anonymousreply 3604/05/2013

Tarantino tried to get him for the Eric Stoltz role in Pulp Fiction. Kurt turned it down. Love that NIrvana was both 'stoopid' (like Iggy and the Ramones - clumsy, dumb, freaked out, perverse) and eerily sensitive - decimating all musical usurpers. I knew he was going to die IMMINENTLY, same with Elliott Smith, but I expected an OD. I wish he had had a sense of self-preservation and escaped his various parasites.

by Anonymousreply 3704/05/2013

If only he had managed to divorce his unbalanced wife before her jackals succeeded in murdering him.

I would have liked to see what he was doing at 46.

by Anonymousreply 3804/05/2013

Oh God, another Courtney murdered Kurt thing... I think aliens did it or maybe Elvis, since he really isn't dead.

by Anonymousreply 3904/05/2013

Good call, R37. When I first listened to Elliott Smith's Either/Or in 1997, I totally remembering thinking of Kurt. Elliott was softer and folkier, but both were so beautifully sad in both vocal tone and lyric. I knew Elliott wouldn't be around for very long.

by Anonymousreply 4004/05/2013

No, he wouldn't be 46 because he died. That's his life story. It had an end, and 46 wasn't happening.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2013

Shit i think he woulda been great as the dealer in pulp fiction!

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2013

Whomever said he was a one hit wonder must be deaf. He was a brilliant writer and no less than Paul McCartney stated that Cobain's melodies particularly were very much as he(Paul) would write. And he was such a kind sweet soul. I met him once when he was with Courtney on a flight. I chatted with him when she was slumming in coach talking to other friends. He had asked me to sit and talk a bit, so I did. When CL returned she snarled"I can't believe you are talking to the help."

He looked at me very sadly and of course I left them alone the rest of the flight. When we landed in SEA, he lingered at the gate until the crew deplaned just to tell me how sorry he was that she was so rude. We were born on the same day in the same year, so I've always felt he was a friend in my head!

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2013

Never has there been a band as overrated as Nirvana

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2013

Damn 19 years have gone by fast. I rememberhis death like it was yesterday. I still can't listen to some of his songs, not sure why but they make me sad. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 4504/10/2013

R44, you're in the minority. Nirvana is one of the greats and Kurt was a gifted, gifted songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2013

His marriage to Courtney Love was the beginning of the end for him. She bullied him into it. Some people say he committed suicide because he knew that would be the only way he could get away from her. I can believe that.

by Anonymousreply 4704/11/2013

Interesting article

by Anonymousreply 4810/24/2013

I had just turned 17 and I remember 'Teen Spirit ' made a huge impression on me when I first saw it come by on MTV at the end of August in '91.

I bought 'Nevermind' purely on the strenght of that song. Kurt Cobain is probably going to be remembered as the last true 'rock star'.

by Anonymousreply 4910/24/2013

[7] He also suffered from debilitating pain caused by ulcers, it was the main reason why he stsrted to use heroin.

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2013

Really, OP?

Shoot.

by Anonymousreply 5110/24/2013

And?

by Anonymousreply 5210/24/2013

R48, that's a sweet interview. He had a good soul, or spirit - or personality.

by Anonymousreply 5310/24/2013

If alive, would he have been as grossly overrated?

by Anonymousreply 5410/24/2013

Nirvana, so overrated, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5510/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.