Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robin Roberts returns to 'GMA'

The recovering anchor gets an all-star reception, five months to the day since her bone-marrow transplant.

"I have been waiting 174 days to say this," noted Robin Roberts on Wednesday morning. "The 'Good Morning America' anchor was welcomed back to work five months after a bone-marrow transplant for a rare blood disorder. News anchor Josh Elliott, left, weatherman Sam Champion, lifestyle editor Lara Spencer, Roberts and co-host George Stephanopoulos celebrated their reunion. Heidi Gutman, ABC

"I have been waiting 174 days to say this," noted Robin Roberts on Wednesday morning. "The 'Good Morning America' anchor was welcomed back to work five months after a bone-marrow transplant for a rare blood disorder. News anchor Josh Elliott, left, weatherman Sam Champion, lifestyle editor Lara Spencer, Roberts and co-host George Stephanopoulos celebrated their reunion. Leading the on-set welcome-back party was co-anchor George Stephanopoulos, who greeted her with, "Hello Robin. The froggy slippers are off." He was referring to her footwear of choice while she recovered at home. One day, when Oprah Winfrey filled in for her, the whole 'GMA' team sported Kermit kicks while sitting on the couch. Roberts was treated to a montage of "welcome back" messages from the likes of President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who joked that she was at home watching "now that I have no viable employment prospects" and implored her to "wave to me." Joining the party were Roberts' sisters, Dorothy Roberts McEwen, center, and Sally-Ann Roberts. Sally-Ann, a fellow journalist who hosts the morning news at New Orleans' WWLTV, was a genetic match and donated her bone marrow. The Roberts siblings spend some quality couch time with the 'GMA' on-air team: news reader Josh Elliott, left, Robin Roberts, Dorothy Roberts McEwen, Sally-Ann Roberts, George Stephanopolous, entertainment reporter Lara Spencer and weatherman Sam Champion. Roberts makes her first foray outside to greet fans in New York's Times Square. Roberts takes a moment to read all the "welcome back" signs outside the 'GMA' studio. There were plenty of "welcome back" signs inside the studio, too. Roberts relishes being back with her boys at the 'GMA' anchor desk.

Five months since bone-marrow transplant Obamas send welcome back message Roberts looks fit, healthy and happy on first day back

Five months after a bone-marrow transplant to treat a rare blood disorder, Robin Roberts resumed duties as co-anchor of ABC's Good Morning America Wednesday morning, saying "I have been waiting 174 days to say this: 'Good Morning America.' "

Roberts' return was billed as a very special edition of GMA, and it included a welcome back message from President Obama and wife Michelle, whom Roberts is scheduled to interview in the next few days: "Good morning America and welcome back Robin," Obama said.

"Robin," Michelle Obama added, "we just want you to know that the whole Obama family — we've been thinking about you and praying for you and rooting for you every step of the way."

Leading the on-set welcome-back party was co-anchor George Stephanopoulos, who greeted her with, "Hello Robin. The froggy slippers are off and she's back in Times Square five months to the day from her bone-marrow transplant. Her doctors giving her the thumbs-up, she's been getting into fighting shape, all of Team Robin here and across the country give a big welcome right now."

Other guests on set and via video ranged from Roberts' siblings, Sally-Ann and Dorothy, to former secretary of state Hilary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and Kobe Bryant.

Roberts, looking fit, seemed thrilled to be back.

"I keep pinching myself and I realize this is real. This is actually happening, and I don't have my froggy slippers on, or do I?" she joked. "Faith, family and friends have brought me to this moment and I am so full of grat

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2013

This is the reason why Matt Lauer took the day off. Robin Roberts is the most beloved figure in daytime television, even if she is a closet dyke.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

And ABC is treating her return as if she's the Virgin Mary come back to earth.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

She doesn't look good, why couldn't she throw on a wig?

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

Twenty years ago I wanted to donate bone marrow and was refused because of my Hepatitis B in 1967. Is that still true?

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

This will make her funeral an even bigger blockbuster!

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

Robin is an inspiration to us all on how to handle a health crises with grace and dignity.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

She looked better with her old bone marrow.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

"We are ABC, The Overkill Network."

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

Overkill is right. ABC is having a 20/20 special tonight, about Ms. Roberts' recovery.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

Come out come out wherever you are!

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2013

Wonder what Michelle's input woud have been were Robin white?

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2013

NOBODY CARES!

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2013

WW for r5.

Oh, spare me, r7. Thousands and thousands of annymous people with serious illnesses do the same and without Roberts money and celebrity power.

I find this whole spectacle distasteful.

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2013

It's so easy to care about people I don't know. Teddy bears 'n prayers, Robbie!

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2013

She is an inspiration but I still worry that this is all premature. Or temporary. I have various doctor friends who have told me that people with her condition usually have to live like the "boy in the plastic bubble" for years. Their immune systems are severely compromised. SO glad she is able to come back to work but I do wonder if she can keep up the pace. I guess she doesn't know either. But her doctors gave her the high sign so that is encouraging! She is not allowed to hug anyone nor have much human contact. That set must be a Lysoled, sterile vacuum! She is a most likeable person and, overkill or not, she has become some sort of "symbol" to many people. Continued healing and good health to you, Robin!!

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2013

To those that don't like hearing about Robin, you don't have to watch anything about her, much less post on a thread about her.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2013

I don't watch it, r17. I don't watch GMA or, for that matter, the Today Show.

I, neverthless, see too much of it because of ABC's ceaseless promotions on its entire roster of programming.

I stand by what I write. This whole crass spectacle makes me queasy.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2013

Sorry, r17, but I am going to exercise my right to say I've never cared for this tranny-voiced closeted but obvious from space dyke. Why doesn't she get shit for remaining closeted like all that was heaped upon Anderson Cooper?

And I agree with Della. The fawning and praising for ill stars who have money, assistants and access to resources that most people could never dream about galls me every time. It's just gross.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2013

I bet Oprah does an interview with her

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.