Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Old local station/local news promos

The Atlantic had a blog post about this the other week - does anyone remember their "Hello" song?

Apparently they were made for 100+ cities.

(Yes, this is 80s so only those of a certain age will recognize.)

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2015

I worked at an FM station with the syndicated "Have A Happy Day" campaign. There were jingles, bumper stickers, balloons, tee shirts and buttons with a smiling face. Sponsors had huge signs with the logo in their businesses. "If we spot your bumper sticker, you could be a winner." Most of the times it was a free pizza.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

Literally it was the same damn song, apparently, but each city could rewrite lyrics and show images of their city.

Kind of a cool idea.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

Think of how many cities have "Eyewitness News" and "Action Central." Same package sold to different markets.

Notice lately that news sets are so blue? That's the result of Focus Groups who said they like the color.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

It's funny that in LA, Eyewitness News is ABC and in SF, it is CBS.

I've noticed ABC is blue and NBC is red.

I can't pick up CBS anymore, but I remember before it was sort of a yellowy beige.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

This isn't the "Hello" song but I saw this on YouTube.

Either this was the GAYEST commercial producer ever who made this, or there was a whole lot of acid dropped/lines snorted before the concept team came up with this.

(It's kind of cool, though.)

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

Yes OP and r2, The NBC Atlanta affiliate had their version as well. "It's all right here on 11Alive, all across the countryside, hello Atlanta, hello Georgiaaaaaaaaaaaa, it's right here on 11Alive." To this day, WXIA is known as 11Alive.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

Anyone else remember their city's "Hello" song? Is it on YouTube?

Did your news crew inspire Anchorman?

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

WPIX in New York also used "11 Alive." "4 You," and "7 on Your Side" are used across the country.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

What's with the shiny anchor desks reflecting studio lights on the grid?

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2013

where, R9?

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2013

r9, New York's WCBS-2, WNBC-3, WNYW-5, WPIX-11. Also saw shiny desk on a Philadelphia station.

by Anonymousreply 1102/26/2013

Hello Piedmont, Hello Piedmont, TV12 Loves you!

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

Piedmont=Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

In New Orleans, we just had a talking crawfish that sauntered out on the screen and said "How y'all Doin!?" and walked away as the Eyewitness News logo appeared.

I always imagined that crawfish walked right off the stage and into a boiling pot of seasoned water.

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

WBTV Charlotte had really great promos. "WBTV, Looking Better all the Time!"

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

Love it - I completely forgot about that promo. Watching the Nashville version brought the whole thing back to me. Of course, in our little town, the closest major market was two & a half hours away. I grew up with a major connection to Baltimore even though I lived in a little town by the shore.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

WBTV: Looking Better all the Time.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

(R5) John Hambrick was a total fox and had pussies and mussies soppy and twitching all over Cleveland back then. He was so popular that after he left for NYC they brought his stockier, less attractive brother John in to anchor. Don Webster the weatherman was a former dancer with a big bulge and had a compact tight body and had his own following.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

R14, have you seen this WWL gag reel?

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

Here's the "Hello Cleveland" version.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

Charlotte's WBT Radio stands for "Where Buick Travels." Station founder owned a car dealership. ,"

by Anonymousreply 2204/16/2013

In Pittsburgh it was WTAE Action News (Channel 4 the ABC affiliate) that ran the ad

by Anonymousreply 2304/16/2013

I recall thinking it cool that the (ABC) ch. 6 TV news ads in Philadelphia used the song from the rock opera TOMMY: "Listening to you, I get the story ..."

by Anonymousreply 2404/16/2013

WBTV has really declined. It used to be THE station in North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!