Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Meeting a guy next week, who is 'the man that got away'. We haven't seen each other in 5 years.

Don't know, but my sense is he is now in love with someone else - and I'll leave the dinner feeling like crap.Any suggestions ?

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2013

That great beginning has seen its final inning.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

Every trick of his you're onto, but fools will be fools and where's he gone to?

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

Don't act desperate.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

Should I act like I don't really need him to be happy - but, if he's available in the future, we should try again ?

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

Why act like every trick of his? You're one too.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

At the time , I was coming out of a long relationship, and didn't want to get involved in another again so soon . Now, after kissing lots of frogs , I realize we really are meant to be together - the chemistry is unlike anyone else I've met. I'm not 22 anymore either, and ready to be in love again.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

Sounds to me like he's lucky he got away.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

OP, the man that won you has gone off and undone you. That great beginning has seen the final inning. Don't know what happened. It's all a crazy game.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

I should have realized this was DL , when I used that reference. It's made me laugh - but I wish someone would reply seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

OP play it cool. You dont want to come off as desperate or needy because that could scare him off. If it turns out he has found someone, act like you're happy for him. If he is single, there are subtle ways you can drop the hint. Instead of saying something like, "I want to settle down and be in love" say "I think maybe I am ready to settle down". That also maybe a good way of reaffirming the reason you didn't pursue him years ago because you were still getting over the break up. If you get the chance to talk about what you are looking in a mate, list qualities he has. Most important, dont drink because booze can sometimes make people say things they later regret. Good luck and let us know how it went.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2013

I'd love the chance to do this, op. Even if he's taken, you get to 'go back' and reexamine.

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2013

RE 11 -Thank you - lots of good advice there

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2013

Some of you don't seem like you can exist without a relationship. You're either just out of one, dating, or giddily starting a new one.

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2013

Do you look better, or worse than you last saw him ?

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

Don't forget OP, this is about now, not about who was right back then.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2013

Just be in the NOW. Feel what you feel and think what you think. But be kind to yourself. Be grounded. However things go is a total experience of who YOU are, from the inside out. You will have the kind of dinner and connection with him that is a reflection of who you are now, not five years ago. If you end up in some heartbreak scenario, then you will have let yourself get there. The same for a healthy relationship. Do you want drama? No one else can make you happy. No one else "completes you" and all that crap. It's crap. You might fall in love with this guy, you might go "What did I ever see in him?" But have self esteem and self respect no matter what, then you cannot go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2013

#17 = Iyanla Vanzant

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2013

Excellent....THANK YOU You sound like a therapist, which is good.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2013

R11 gave some great advice and I'm going to throw in my two cents, as well: Timing is everything. You weren't ready for this guy 5 years ago and he might not be ready for you now, no matter how much you think you're destined to be be together.

All of us have obsessed or pined for someone who wasn't available or interested. And OP, I think your overwhelming "need" to be in love could be clouding your judgment. After all, you didn't choose this man 5 years ago and you may have had sound reasons, which you've conveniently forgotten. And even if that's not the case, time can change people. Your needs and his might be very different.

Go to the meal. Put on a smile. Keep the conversation light but honest and make sure you're someone fun to be around. I would advise against revealing your agenda, as it could easily frighten him off if he's not on the same page. Take the temperature of the room and if you sense he's interested, make another date.

Toss any and all expectations. And good luck!

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2013

OK, here's a serious reply, OP. Don't push it or force anything. Have dinner, then go from there. Your own feelings may have changed and you just don't realize it yet. People change. You've changed, he's changed. He's not the guy you fell for five years ago, no matter what you think. Also, you may be idealizing him.

I say approach this as if you're meeting someone new. You kind of are.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

RE 20 & 21 - Great advice, and so true. I'm putting all the onus on myself, and him liking me. You gave me a new perspective. I feel more relaxed - and will also see how he would fit into my life at this point, and stop the idealizing. Thank you !

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

OP, I thinks this one is simple. Keep it light and friendly. If he's taken then you back off. If he's single and you still feel the same about him after dinner tell him you're interested in trying again to see where it goes. Don't be coy or drop hints hoping he'll figure you out.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

I'll add my advice--

Don't play games. Don't push buttons to get a rise out of him. Don't bullshit. Be as honest as you can be.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

I don't play games, and am honest. But I do tend to get a bit overly defensive at times - in the stupid, macho way a lot of us do. Like 'fine , go off in your new life together' kind of BS. I'll have to tamp that way down. And before anyone says it, I understand it's only about the hurt of rejection. I know that. We're guys - we always like to win.....even if it doesn't really matter.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

Good luck, OP. Let us know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

I'm rooting for you, OP. It's been five years since I saw my "man who got away", and I would love nothing more than the two of us getting back together again...even though it's doomed.

I hope you can find your happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

OP, relax and have a nice time. Use it to catch up as you would with an old friend. Don't say, "I'm ready to settle down" or any variation of it. Just be honest and say, "I've missed you! I'm so glad we got together tonight." You have no idea what his motives are or why he wants to see you, do you?

If he's in a relationship, but wants to "see you" then you can tell him you 've been down that road, and you're not interested in being the "spare." You deserve to have a happy stable relationship, and if there is no potential for it than you'll just have to remain friends.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

Good luck, OP. Remember, not all advice is applicable to all situations, so play this one by ear. You had been with this man for 5 years and you know him more than almost anyone else on earth. And he knows you more than almost anyone else on earth. Reestablish the connection that made him and you want to stay together for 5 years. Remember the good times and learn from the bad times in your relationship. If you reestablish that magical sense of connection then he will fall for you again and if he doesn't then it was never meant to be. Relax and have fun with this new opportunity. Sorry for sounding corny, but there is something romantic about reconnecting with an old flame that you thought was extinguished forever.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2013

Marry me if you know what album this is:

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

OP, wear your prettiest caftan and be sure to wait till after dessert before presenting your hole.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

R30, This Mortal Coil's It'll End in Tears. Great bit of dream pop, especially the covers of Big Star and Tim Buckley.

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

You may never have this chance again. So say everything you need to say. Circumstances may prevent it from working out; if it doesn't re-ignite at least you won't spend the rest of your life wishing you had told him all the things you were too afraid to say.

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

Thanks guys - never imagined I'd get this much advice. Thought I might get 1 or 2 replies.It is much appreciated.

Oh, by the way #29 - we we not together for 5 years. Dated for several months,then I called it off. It's been 5 years since we've seen each other.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

Oooh, OP, you in danger, gurl!!

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2013

Who initiated the date? If you, be prepared for rejection. If him, he's into you.

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2013

I truly believe that you only get one "chance" with a person. Yes, there are exceptions but it really is true. People are always changing and growing.Probably, he's moved on-and so should you OP.

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

"Any suggestions ?"

More restraint and unreachable handcuff keys.

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2013

You made your bed....

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2013

You may be right, R37.

What led you to this hypothesis?

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2013

R40-R37 here. Years of hard experience lead me to really think there is no second chance. I think many of us look at the past in a sentimental/rosy way and forget why we didn't make it work with that person before. Again,there are exceptions,but very rarely.

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2013

I'm very good friends with my "one who got away". Sadly, I'm not the one that got away for him. I was a brief fling that didn't mean anything. Alas.

Good luck OP. May you have better results than I have had.

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2013

Thanks R37 R41 --

I think you are correct.

There are precious few successful "do-overs."

" 'Tis wiser to leave the past in the past. "

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!