Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Drove All Night!!!!

I love this song....every damn version...Roy, Cyndi, Celine!!!

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

This is one of the few songs where I think a remake is better. I like Cyndi's version. I never liked Roy's voice and Celine's vocal acrobatics are annoying in her version.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2013

Roy's. Here's the video with a young Jennifer Connelly and Jason Priestly.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2013

Loved Cindi's version the best. She was super talented, she should have been more successful. I don't understand how she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2013

There was no reason for Céline to cover this song, nor "Alone." Heart's version of the latter is definitive.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2013

Cyndi's break between her first and second album was too long. Her last single from "Unusual" was in the Fall of '84 and "True Colors" wasn't released until the Fall of '86 and "Colors" just didn't have that controlled loopiness.

Plus, her hiatus between the two albums was her involvement with the (then) WWF.

Madonna was on her heels, with three albums in that same time, a huge tour, an SNL appearance, the marriage to Sean Penn...

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

It's all true, R5. Although in hindsight "True Colors" was an amazing pop music accomplishment, at the time it was released she already felt like a nostalgia act. Plus she was competing with Madonna's similarly titled "True Blue."

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

"There was no reason for Céline to cover this song,..."

There is never a reason for Celine to open her mouth at all.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

I am a little embarrassed that i voted for Celine's version. Celine is not someone to whom I listen but I remember hearing her sing the song and really liked it. i just now saw the linked Roy Orbison's video and would like to change my vote to Roy's version. I love Cyndi, but her version is not my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

[quote] i just now saw the linked Roy Orbison's video and would like to change my vote to Roy's version

Too late! Think before you vote.

Are you some old person from Florida?

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

Jesus, Jason Priestly was beautiful back then. I knew him through work and he was short but perfectly proportioned -- look at that great Canadian butt in the first five seconds of the video. I used to stare at it a lot, ha. And those eyes, of course... No way he wasn't going to be a star. Nice kid, too.

May I add that I miss jeans that allowed us such views as back then. Now it's all droopy diapers, who knows what's under there.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

I first heard this on a Cock Robin album I bought in the mid 80's. That is the version I have always loved.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.