Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oscar Pistorius - WTF?

Can someone please explain to me why a track runner from halfway around the world who most Americans have never even heard of until last week is the top story in every US news outlet? Why does the media think this story is of such importance that it rates such an intense amount of coverage? I'm being serious here, I have no idea why it's such big news in the US.

by Anonymousreply 5403/02/2014

Most Americans heard of him last summer, OP. Anyone who first heard his name last week are out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2013

A lot of people heard of him. He was the big featured story during the Olympics.

He's been fighting for years to be included in the regular Olympics so he was very well known international runner. Lots of athletes came out at the time for & against him being able to compete. He was the first disabled athlete to compete in international competition with other able bodied athletes.

He was finally given permission to participate in the 2012 Olympics and he had huge press coverage then. Maybe you were sleeping during that time but he's hardly an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2013

He was the feel good story of last summer, OP. It seems the only one who hadn't heard of him until last week was you.

by Anonymousreply 402/19/2013

r2 most Americans? Really? Paralympics doesn't even have the interest or the viewership internationally, let alone in America.

[quote]In 2012 NBC only produced around 5 hours of tape delayed highlights from the Games, airing on the pay TV channel NBC Sports Network, and did not cover the ceremonies at all.

Out of touch. Yeah. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 702/19/2013

I didn't watch the Paralympics at all, but he was the big story in the Olympics, r7, where he competed. You couldn't miss him.

by Anonymousreply 802/19/2013

He wasn't at the Olympics. It's the Paralympics. Who watches the Paralympics?

I watched NBC this past summer and during the evening coverage I never saw any mention of the Paralympics or Pistorius. Good for those who did, but considering that NBC didn't even air it on network, I seriously doubt that the majority of Americans know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2013

R9 - He most definitely was at the Olympics.

How anyone missed coverage of him last summer is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 1002/19/2013

People think that handicapable people are heroes and cannot be jerks. Like blacks can't be racist.

But he turned out to be a jerk in a wheelchair

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2013

r9, why in the world are you trying to dispute that Pistorius competed in both the Olympics and the Paralympics? He really did.

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2013

Are you a fucking moron r9?!

He was a HUGE story because he was the first disabled man with no legs to run IN TNE OLYMPICS.

He ALSO competed in the Paralympics.

EVERYONE knows who he is. He was ALL OVER NBC's primetime coverage, including a major profile.

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2013

It's not about news-worthiness, it's about ratings/money. Sex sells.

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2013

Did she get shot in the tits?

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2013

OK, let's pretend every single person in the US has heard of Pistorius. WHY is this scandal still the top story? It's not really that newsworthy to anyone in the US.

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2013

Well OP - most everyone I know found it shocking as hell.

And he really opened up the door for para-olympians - regardless if you don't get out of your cave very often.

I never cared much for Lance Armstrong the first few years he won the Tour de France, but I knew who he was when he got cancer.

He hade major contracts with being advertisers - so clearly many people around the world know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2013

OP it's one of the biggest international stories right now . I watched a French news program which spent 80% of their news time on this story.

The story is getting play here because it's a classic case of someone we've put on a huge pedestal who's an athlete being knocked down. He was a huge hero to many (like Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong) . He possibly killed his fiancee who's pretty and blonde (think OJ Simpson). This story has the media salivating.

You sound very unaware and naive OP.

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2013

OP is an idiot.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013

Because the woman he killed was a hot blonde.

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2013

OP, I'm with you. It's an endless push by the media, but that's what the media DOES.

Like the Kartrashians, it pushes a bunch of SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

Sex,death and celebrity ALWAYS lead.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

Please can we just let this thread die and return all sane discussion to the other Pistorius thread?

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

"there is a separate Special Olympics for that purpose"

The special Olympics were created in America mentally challenged kids in the 1960s.

The Paralympics were started in England in the 1940s. It's for physically disabled adults.

You are one of those completely stupid people who can't tell the difference between a kid with Down's Syndrome and an amputee.

I love how complete and utter imbeciles like the OP and others here boast their ignorance like a merit badge.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

Because it gives them a break from the usual "mad gunman shoots people" stories that seem to be a regular feature of life in the US.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

OP's reply at r16 is why Americans are often said to be so insular and ignorant of the rest of the world. She's genuinely perplexed as to why a story that doesn't involve Americans should receive media coverage in the US, and probably thinks a local story about a cat stuck up a tree would be more newsworthy.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

R26 Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

What place did he place in the Olympics? Did he win Gold, Silver or Brawn?

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

Where did you get the idea that he won a medal R28?

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

So he failed at the Olympics? I thought he was his country's Olympic hero.

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2013

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2013

Why is it big news? Because, in part, it's very likely he did it.

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2013

Not only does this story have celebrity value, and the tragic death of a hawt blonde... but there's the steroid issue.

I think that's going to keep the story in the news over the coming months, and hopefully someone will be looking at other track stars. They all juice, that's how you get to be a top athelete these days.

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

murder + any kind of "celebrity" = media interest

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2013

Another one with OP.

I didn't know who the fuck this assclown was when the story broke. I didn't know who he was because I made a very concerted effort to NOT to pay any attention to the Olympics, either televised or in print. Why? Because it's just a bunch of overhyped bullshit.

To me, the Olympics, and most pro sports, are nothing but a bunch of pampered, molly-coddled athletes (and apparently quite a lot of them are sociopaths, as well) who need a giant foot put up their egotistical assholes.

So to all the incredulous bitches here who are aghast that someone doesn't know who the fuck Oscar Pistorius is, I say bite me, douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

op is is totally right. who gives a fuck about this guy? It's a story barely worth a blip and if this country had a serious media, it would have ended the day he killed her. American "journalists:? We've learned much too much from their British counterparts, who are the jokes of the world

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2013

The Olympics made Oscar Pistorius famous, and the American media, especially NBC, fawn over the Olympics. Plus there is the fact that the victim is a pretty blond girl, a topic that the US media go crazy about.

by Anonymousreply 3702/20/2013

Here's a guess:

Because he's a famous man who killed his girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 3802/20/2013

He's famous for competing with no legs at the Olympics, that's why.

by Anonymousreply 3902/20/2013

Even without the Olympics, this story might have hit the wires -- rich guy with no legs murders his blonde girlfriend...

by Anonymousreply 4002/20/2013

Honestly did anyone know who Nicole Brown was before OJ murdered her? I didn't, but he's rich and she was white and hot.

by Anonymousreply 4102/20/2013

Yeah, something tragic happening to a hot young blonde woman who lives in a wealthy environment is always catnip to the news. Unfortunately that's just the way our society is.

by Anonymousreply 4202/20/2013

OP - take your post, replace "Oscar" with "OJ" and replace "US" with "rest of world" and thats what we all thought about OJ case

by Anonymousreply 4302/20/2013

R35, if you are going to go out of your way to avoid over-hyped media figures, you have only yourself to blame when most people recognize an over-exposed media figure and you don't. You have the right to remain ignorant but you cannot expect everyone else to share your self-imposed ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 4402/20/2013

I am waiting for the revelation that his girlfriend found evidence that he is gay and they argued about it. She threatened to tell the world and he could do nothing to stop her except to kill her! It's the only thing that would make sense! Why else would he have to silence her forever??

by Anonymousreply 4502/20/2013

Because he has a warm, moist, musky and inviting anus...

by Anonymousreply 4602/20/2013

Everybody I know, knows who he is. That spans across gender, age, race etc... He was a huge story this past summer. Why wouldn't this be a big story? He went from world wide hero to an alleged murdered within 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 4702/20/2013

Oh, who cares R24. Eat my shit. The Olympics should be about human perfection so having any kind of handicapped version seems pointless and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4802/20/2013

I marginally followed the Olympics and knew who Pistorius is, but there are just some folks who have zero interest in sports and don't follow it at all, so it makes sense that Pistorius' name never appeared on their radar. It's perfectly normal. Getting annoyed at others about whether it is or isn't is odd.

by Anonymousreply 4902/20/2013

Bragging about not knowing about a highly profiled sports celebrity, then blathering on about "reality show" nobodies like those 'Real Housewives' and 'Survivor' dorks in multiple-hundreds-long posts every fuckin' just too funny!

by Anonymousreply 5002/20/2013

People LOVE it when women get killed. LOVE.IT.

by Anonymousreply 5102/20/2013

Because you're a nation of hopeless rubberneckers, OP, and you always have been.

by Anonymousreply 5202/20/2013

[quote]Oh, who cares [R24]. Eat my shit. The Olympics should be about human perfection so having any kind of handicapped version seems pointless and ridiculous.

R48 = Josef Mengele

by Anonymousreply 5302/20/2013

I'm watching Dateline and I think he's guilty as shit.

However, the thing that shocked me was that his parents had his legs amputated when he was 11 months old. WTF?

No wonder he's angry!

by Anonymousreply 5403/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!