Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has there ever been a worse show than "Community"?

I saw sexy previews of it and wanted so badly for it to be good. But it was unbelievably awful.

Yet all the 25-35 white females I work with are crazy about it.

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2013

According to Jim

by Anonymousreply 102/19/2013

Almost everyone that has recommended it to me is a young guy.

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2013

Two Broke Girl$

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2013

Glee

by Anonymousreply 402/19/2013

"Go On" may be worse.

by Anonymousreply 502/19/2013

Flahooel

by Anonymousreply 602/19/2013

I used to like Community lot, but it's fanbase is so obnoxious and militant that it totally turned me off to the show. And judging by recent rating slips, I guess I'm not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 802/19/2013

Two and a Half Men. But agree,op. I'm a Joel McHail fan and wanted to like Community but didn't find it very funny.

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2013

I agree that its fans are obnoxious, but it is noticeably worse this season without the asshole who created the show running it - it was pretty funny before.

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2013

Does any Comeback fans suspect that Dan Harmon is living equivalent of Paulie G?

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2013

"Community" was never funny. It's not the worst show on network T.V., but it is wildly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2013

It was good for awhile. Haven't seen it lately, though.

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2013

Yes, "How I Met Your Mother".

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2013

R13 is right on the money. It was never funny, but there are a million worse shows on network television. It's just infuriating how the fans (usually young, white people who consider themselves smart and are desperate to be a part of something) make it out to be the second coming of Arrested Development, when in reality it's like a more mature Family Guy.

Every time someone tries to show me a funny scene from that show, it's third-rate meta-humor. I hope it's cancelled at the end of this season.

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2013

Also, it should be said that it's a show that constantly panders hard to the Internet, and the dregs of the Internet eat it up.

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2013

TWO BROKE GIRLS is atrociously bad, and gets double the ratings of COMMUNITY (or anything else on NBC).

Who is watching this shit?

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2013

This thread smells old.

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013

Within the last few years? "Guys With Kids," "Partners," "Still Standing," "Whitney," "Two Broke Girls," that idiotic retread of "Bosom Buddies on ABC," "Better With You" ...

Shall I continue?

by Anonymousreply 2002/19/2013

A lot of people I respect love the show, but I never got into it. There's something "off" about it that I cannot articulate.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

To tell the truth, R16, I always thought that Arrested Development was kind of overrated. It's definitely a smart and witty show, but I never found it laugh out loud funny.

I thought that Community was pretty cute and funny for the first two to three seasons (even if it wasn't brilliant), but it seemed to already be running out of steam in the third season, so I don't even want to know what the hell it's like now that the original creator has left.

The truth is, the basic concept for the average sitcom only has so many good ideas within it. After those run out, the writers are just completely bullshitting everything and - more often than not - fucking it up. I really think the Brits have a better idea of how to run a TV show than Americans do. They run it for a couple of seasons, then end it before it completely runs out of steam while people still have only fond memories of the show.

All that being said - I always though that Troy and Abed's weird bromance was the highlight of the show.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

STFU. Arrested Development was one of the best ensemble cast and cleverly written shows in our generation. Did you watch from beginning to end because that makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2013

Donald Glover is so damn cute. He was adorable in the Tigger costume on last week's episode. I'm not a furry, but I would fuck him if he wore that.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

For sure, R22, there are positives to the British way of doing sitcoms, but there are plenty of examples of shows that benefitted from long runs. If The Simpsons or Seinfeld had only existed for a few seasons (many British Sitcoms last 2-4 at the most), we would be missing out on some of the greatest genius that has ever existed in (a very dumb) medium.

Of course, The Simpsons also should have been put out to pasture a long time ago, but the world would be a less funny place without seasons 4-9. Every bad show should be taken off the air as soon as possible, but a good sitcom/comedy with good writers can easily last 8 or 10 years without totally trashing it's goodwill.

Also, we'll have to agree to disagree on Arrested Development. There are a lot of latecomers who like to talk about it like they discovered Jesus, but that doesn't take away from what a brilliant work it is (even if it doesn't make you laugh out loud).

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

R5 = Yolanda

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

Community can either be really good or suck donkey balls. It's totally inconsistent.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

Target audience is probably those who know 80s references, that's why.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

I tried watching a couple of episodes but I couldn't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

It's funny how different people find different things funny. There are definitey differences from generation to generation.

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

"... queer face that looks like he just shit his pants"

Exactly! I call it shartface. The wobbly camera just keeps panning to these guys mugging unfunnily (but to be fair, almost every sitcom does this now).

The other night they tried 'A Very Special New Normal", more 'dramatic' than usual. And the guys tried to act (one cried without tears) but failed.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

I love Community. The meta humor is great when it hits. I agree, it's not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

Troy was shirtless tonight!

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

"Community" is not as good as it was before show-runner Dan Harmon exited:

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2013

I think comedies have room for ~ 30 really good episodes, most never hit that number. Some hit that number and quit, some hit that number over a stretch of 100 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2013

What R2 said. The only "Community" fans I know are all guys in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 3602/23/2013

R36, that's exactly what networks want.

by Anonymousreply 3702/23/2013

I never liked it, but it would have been more tolerable without that fat, coked out, toad-faced, ugly troll Chevy Chase. God, I hate him. He has not said a funny word since the '80s. He's also the vilest human being I have ever met. Loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 3802/23/2013

I agree, the show would have been perfect with a different Pearce. Chevy Chase is a horrible actor, always mugging, never believable. He clearly didn't get the humor of the show AT ALL. Ted Danson or Alan Alda would have been infinitely better.

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2013

"Donald Glover is so damn cute. He was adorable in the Tigger costume on last week's episode."

I think he was supposed to be Hobbes to Abed's Calvin.

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2013

Alison Brie's talents are wasted on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4102/23/2013

Thanks, R40. I missed the start of the episode where they explained the costumes.

by Anonymousreply 4202/23/2013

MY god, this thread is full of old, useless cunts who don't know anything spewing their useless shit everywhere.

Yes, this season is awful. It proves Dan Harmon WAS the show.

by Anonymousreply 4302/23/2013

I agree R43. Maybe not "awful", but a definite drop in quality. I find it interesting that every episode now features Joel McHale showing off his body. As much as I like Joel, and its a great body, he's starting to carry a little too much of that "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" vibe.

by Anonymousreply 4402/23/2013

I agree, R44.

by Anonymousreply 4502/24/2013

This week's episode with the Sadie b. Hawkins dance was pretty good and a return to form.

(is there another Community thread? I couldn't find one.)

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.