Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone find this menu appealing?

Truthfully I don't even recognize most of the terms used here. This restaurant is getting rave reviews nationally.

Oxheart offers a choice of three menus nightly. Menus change often.

Winter Menu. 49

warm sunflower seed soup, burnt onion, puffed rices and grains, pumpkin seeds, black tea

gently steamed ‘vermillion’ snapper, smoked pine nuts, sofrito of preserved shellfish

heritage chicken poached with lemongrass and galangal, Vietnamese herbs, young ginger

grapefruit with frozen yogurt and mint

Garden Menu. 49

warm sunflower seed soup, burnt onion, puffed rices and grains, pumpkin seeds, black tea

‘seminole’ pumpkin roasted with vadouvan and hibiscus, braised borage, ‘delfino’ cilantro

‘purple’ kohlrabi braised with a broth of its roasted leaves, wild rice, ricotta, dill

a tart of ‘meyer’ lemon curd and basil

Tasting Menu. 79

‘clementine’ mandarin and ‘republic of texas’ navel oranges with grated roots, earl grey

’hakurei’ turnip baked in salt, radishes, native pecans, beef fat, and garden leaves

gently steamed ‘vermillion’ snapper, smoked pine nuts, sofrito of preserved shellfish

tartare of smoked beef leg, kombu aspic, cucumber, ‘persian’ lime, thai basil

‘purple’ kohlrabi braised with a broth of its roasted leaves, wild rice, ricotta, dill

heritage chicken poached with lemongrass and galangal, Vietnamese herbs, young ginger

grapefruit with frozen yogurt and mint

by Anonymousreply 8502/20/2013

It seems like one needs to be a botanist to fully understand the menu.

by Anonymousreply 102/19/2013

Sounds like fun. I'd be happy to partake.

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2013

what's with the random 'quotation' marks?

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2013

The only thing that sounds good to me is the lemon tart. Maybe the chicken.

by Anonymousreply 402/19/2013

Stop trolling, OP.

by Anonymousreply 502/19/2013

I don't get that either R3. As in 'vermilion' snapper. Is that a fancy way of saying red snapper?

by Anonymousreply 602/19/2013

Exactly, r6

by Anonymousreply 702/19/2013

That sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 802/19/2013

OT a little: why do they call a salad a "garden" salad? Like where the fuck else would lettuce come from???

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2013

I guess there are only two choices - OP's menu of burnt onion, pine nuts etc....or McDonald's.

Only choices on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 1002/19/2013

Well, don't some places have "toilet salads"?

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2013

[bold]warm sunflower seed soup, burnt onion, puffed rices and grains, pumpkin seeds, black tea[/bold]

Odd-sounding soup made of sunflower seed, burnt (why?) onions, with rices and grains steamed until they burst open, with pumpkin seeds and flavored with black tea. This is one of those things that could be very good but no way to know until you taste it.

[bold]gently steamed ‘vermillion’ snapper, smoked pine nuts, sofrito of preserved shellfish[/bold]

Assume "vermillion" is a cutesy way of referring to "red" snapper that's served here with a garnish of pine nuts. Sofrito refers to ingredients that are chopped fine and sauteed. It's likely to be a sauce that's served over the fish.

[bold]heritage chicken poached with lemongrass and galangal, Vietnamese herbs, young ginger[/bold]

Lightly boiled chicken with a nice combination of herbs. This one sounds good.

[bold]‘seminole’ pumpkin roasted with vadouvan and hibiscus, braised borage, ‘delfino’ cilantro[/bold]

Sounds good. Roasted pumpkin with some nice herbs and greens.

[bold]‘purple’ kohlrabi braised with a broth of its roasted leaves, wild rice, ricotta, dill[/bold]

Kohlrabi with wild rice, ricotta cheese and flavored with dill. It's kind of an odd combination that could be quite good.

[bold]a tart of ‘meyer’ lemon curd and basil[/bold]

Sounds wonderful. Meyer lemons have a nice flavor that's not quite as bitter as regular lemons. The basil would be a good flavor mix with the lemon.

[bold]‘clementine’ mandarin and ‘republic of texas’ navel oranges with grated roots, earl grey[/bold]

A couple of species of oranges flavored with unnamed grated roots and tea. Could be a compote, could be cut up fruit with a sauce. I would want to know what kind of roots are being used here.

[bold]’hakurei’ turnip baked in salt, radishes, native pecans, beef fat, and garden leaves[/bold]

Turnips baked with radishes, pecans and greens flavored with beef fat. Sounds good.

[bold]tartare of smoked beef leg, kombu aspic, cucumber, ‘persian’ lime, thai basil[/bold]

Raw ground beef with aspic served with a cucumber, lime and basil sauce.

Most of these things sound pretty good. The person who creates the menu sounds pretentious as hell, but that doesn't mean s/he doesn't know how to cook.

I would like to taste everything on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2013

[quote]I don't even recognize most of the terms

OP, you don't really mean "most", do you?

I didn't know what "galangal" & "vadouvan" are (respectively, a rhizome related to ginger & a blend of spices used in India) -- & I'd never seen the terms "seminole pumpkin", "delfino" cilantro, & "hakurei" turnip before (all just specific varieties of the familiar foods) -- but I recognized everything else on the menu. And I'm not a "foodie".

I think it all sounds excellent. Now I'm hungry -- & no sofrito of preserved shellfish in the house!

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2013

That sort of thing usually tastes pretty good, once you get past the ghastly language on the menu.

It's pretty expensive, though.

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2013

I know about 65-70% of what is on this menu - does everyone really know all of this stuff?

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2013

Prices are actually very reasonable.

I just searched the place, it's in Houston, TX.

Not NY prices.

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2013

[quote] warm sunflower seed soup

Why is it specified as warm? Is sunflower soup normally served cold?

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2013

[R9] You fool, a salad can be made out of anything. Ever heard of tuna salad or chicken salad?

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2013

[quote] Raw ground beef with aspic served with a cucumber, lime and basil sauce.

I beg you to never eat raw ground beef.

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013

How about just SALAD?

by Anonymousreply 2002/19/2013

good point, R19. And yet the onion is burnt!

by Anonymousreply 2102/19/2013

I got a headache reading that.

by Anonymousreply 2202/19/2013

Hell, I just found out the turnips I've been eating all my life are rutabagas. Who am I to judge?

by Anonymousreply 2302/19/2013

Green salad

by Anonymousreply 2402/19/2013

Watch out, someone will post that solid potato salad video again

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013

I hate menus like this.

by Anonymousreply 2602/19/2013

R15, the only thing I've never tasted is vadouvan. No idea what that flavor is like.

I haven't tasted some of the odd species of vegetables and squashes, but I've found if you like one variety of rutabaga you're likely to enjoy all of them.

R19, the definition of tartare is a preparation of finely chopped raw meat generally combined with seasonings and sauces.

by Anonymousreply 2702/19/2013

R19 doesn't get out much!

by Anonymousreply 2802/19/2013

R18, dummy, tuna salad is listed as tuna salad in another section. Green salad used to be listed as "salad," or house salad or Caesar salad.

by Anonymousreply 2902/19/2013

Where i come from a garden salad is a particular type of salad R9. If a restaurant just wrote "salad" on the menu people would be up in arms. "Dear God Barry, what sort of salad are they offering, are we just meant to guess? How ghastly!" I don't live in the US however and most of this menu isn't unusual to me, it's just coming off as really pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013

I'm guessing you're about 22 years old and come from Peoria, hmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 3102/19/2013

Most of the better SF restaurants read like this now. It's kind of annoying. I'm sure it pleases the 5 percent of guests who need sourcing for all their ingredients but the rest of us just want to ID what we want to eat and we'll ask questions as needed. Everything -- from eggs to scallions to meats -- has a boutique brand nowadays at most restaurants. TEDIUM!

by Anonymousreply 3202/19/2013

Way off r31.

by Anonymousreply 3302/19/2013

For silly fuckers with too much money and too little mind.

Borage? Jimson!

And Heritage Chicken sounds dangerously salmonelly.

by Anonymousreply 3402/19/2013

I'd go for the Tasting Menu. Don't know what half the stuff is, but.

There's a restaurant in Seattle, located in Fremont. Can't remember the name, mismatched chairs and tables. The soups and salads are something out of a Chopped episode. Major WTF, and always delicious.

I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 3502/19/2013

Salmonelly. Good one.

I believe heritage chicken is free range, antibiotic free and usually organic. It's bound to taste better than that scary synthetic glow in the dark chicken at the grocery.

by Anonymousreply 3602/19/2013

What is "preserved shellfish"? Is that pickled shrimp?

by Anonymousreply 3702/19/2013

I'm so over food. It's too complicated and people are too obsessed with the latest thing. I hated that foam trend. It looked like someone spit on your plate.

by Anonymousreply 3802/19/2013

Gawd, I had tried to forget about those foamed dishes.! The were dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 3902/19/2013

Foam was bad, a generally bad era in food. Also the stacked meals where everything looks like it came out of a tuna can. I can live forever without having my food stacked for me.

by Anonymousreply 4002/19/2013

"mismatched chairs and tables"

Is this a thing now?

A cute little ethnic restaurant near me does this, all the furniture and tablewear is deliberately mismatched. It's all fun and colorful and the effect is casual and charming. I hope expensive places don't start doing it.

by Anonymousreply 4102/19/2013

Then it's not tartare is it, R42?

by Anonymousreply 4302/19/2013

Why don't you drop the "fucktard," R42/R44? Nobody else is speaking that way in this thread and it's uncalled for.

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

I would walk out if someone handed me that menu with a straight face.

But I usually research restaurant menus online before I go to one. So I would never walk into that restaurant in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2013

I wouldn't have a problem eating beef tartare if I knew where the animal was slaughtered and how. If it's the average U.S. slaughterhouse, forget it. USDA inspections were scaled back during the Reagan era and have yet to reach previous levels. There's lots of contact between the beef and fecal matter from intestines on dirty floors not maintained to acceptable hygienic standards. Mind you it's only the exterior part of the cut of meat that is contaminated. But if not properly washed and cooked to the correct temperature, it can be problematic. If it's not properly washed and ground and not cooked to the correct temp., good luck to you. Especially if you're really young or really old.

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

Hicks nix picks in sticks.

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2013

Duck penis?

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

VERY pretentious, and the staff is laughing their asses off at you needy people who buy it.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

It's a pretentious bullshit menu.

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

The naysayers are boors!

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2013

Fancy food for flyover country. This chef needs to get fucking real.

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2013

[quote]Vietnamese herbs, young ginger

God FORBID they use old ginger.

by Anonymousreply 5402/19/2013

Pretentious menu for people in flyover country trying to be more than what they are, but this IS Houston, so no surprise there. Texans always act as if they have something to prove. However, Houston is a great restaurant city, believe it or not...

by Anonymousreply 5502/19/2013

10 worst dining trends of the last decade

(Except it’s the LA Times, so there are only nine.)

Decades from now, when you reflect on what dining was like during the fledgling years of the 21st century, on a good day you will picture a heartening trend toward comfort food in the wake of Sept. 11 and a well-meaning push toward locally sourced menus.

But on a bad day, when someone asks what the worst restaurant trends of that first decade were, will you be able to shut up? One restaurant type cracked: "As long as we're not naming names, I'll talk. Because now that you ask this, specific chefs and self-important restaurants are coming to mind."

Then there were those who, like It Boy and New York chef David Chang, when asked to name the worst trends of the decade, simply blurted: "The Cheesecake Factory. The Kobe beef movement was stupid -- it was never meant to be a burger! Sliders are stupid too. Sorry, I mean to say 'a trio of sliders' is stupid. What else? Walls of wine bottles as decoration. The steakhouse craze -- why does there need to be more than a couple of steakhouses in any metropolitan area?"

Then, when his outrage subsided, Chang made an excellent point: "Bad trends were usually good trends. They just got watered down into a really bad, overdone trend."

Which, in a way, is precisely how Tanya Steel, the editor-in-chief of Epicurious (, saw the decade unfolding: "The beginning and the middle were just the height of obnoxiousness, very reminiscent of the 1980s -- you call ahead for a table and they tell you '5:30 or 10:30' though there are 10 empty tables at 8 p.m. There were restaurants, especially here in New York, that refuse to list a phone number or have the name of the place outside. I would say the second part of the decade didn't begin until September 2008, when the economy meant no one could afford to act like that now."

"Worst trend?" said Tim Zagat, co-founder of the Zagat restaurant survey. "Buying wine to show off. It's not new but it got out of hand with Wall Street types this decade. If you spend $100 on a bottle now, you're exhibiting some degree of stupidity."

What follows are the 10 worst restaurant trends of the decade, culled from interviews with chefs, consultants, even the owners of a food bookstore in Maine. I couldn't include every gripe -- mache, water sommeliers, organ-meat entrees, unisex bathrooms, bacon tattoos on chefs, over-flaunted kitchen burns, chefs tables ("usually they're done as an afterthought, and it shows") -- but here's what leaped out, in order of annoyance:

9. Molecular gastronomy

As Chang pointed out, not all trends start bad. That said, "few chefs know how to do (molecular gastronomy), to make food fascinating and delicious at the same time," Steel said. "Do I see it as a trend that will last? No. As inspiration, maybe. But something feels disconnected when a chef has to buy a machine costing tens of thousands of dollars to cook. If anything, it's ebbing and will spark a return to beautiful and simple ingredients."

8. The $40 entree

Not just at establishments sporting Beard awards and gravitas. At your neighborhood bistro. Enough.

7. The communal table

Said Michael Schwartz, the chef/owner of Michael's Genuine Food & Drink in Miami: the communal table "assumes people who don't know each other want to sit together."

6. Proudly obnoxious fast food options

Carl's Jr.'s Big Carl burger (920 calories). Hardee's Monster Thickburger (1,420 calories). KFC's Double Down (bacon and cheese between fillets of fried chicken serving as bread). A dare? A brazen red-state response to blue-state delicateness? The genius was to market them not as mere meals but extensions of your civil rights.

by Anonymousreply 5602/19/2013

5. Knee-jerk online reviews

Extreme Yelpers and likewise. "In particular, the opening-night blog reviewers," said Don Lindgren, co-owner of Rabelais, a food-centric bookstore in Portland, Maine. "You can't judge a restaurant from its opening night. It may be exciting to be there early. But to review it based on that first day is crazy and wrong."

4. Foam

It's suds. We guess we taste the kiwi-caramel tones. (Wait, no, we can't.)

3. The menu as book

There is nothing wrong with "artisanal" or "local," or " Vermont-raised," and nothing wrong with identifying the source of the goat milk you are being served, but when menu items grow to entire paragraphs, it's a bit much.

2. The chef as media whore

They cook, of course. They also sell shoes and star in reality shows. Sometimes they cook. Rocco Di- Spirito, a middecade pan flash, is arguably the finest example. "There are celebrity chefs who manage to stay chefs and run excellent restaurants," said Zagat, "but there are times when you wonder what a chef is supposed to be doing. TV brings people into their restaurant. But when do they find time to cook?"

1. Deconstruction

Said Joyce Goldstein, a San Francisco-based chef, cookbook author and restaurant consultant: "I do not want a poached egg on top of carbonara sauce and the pasta on the side. I don't want the ingredients laid out before me anymore. I want a chef to show me how it is brought together. Cooking has become an intellectual thing, but it's not a sensual thing. We have all gotten so smart about food, we are losing touch with sex appeal. Everything else is getting so exhausting -- a lot of chefs saying, 'Look at me,' and 'Look at this technique,' and, next decade, I would prefer not to look at them for a while."

by Anonymousreply 5702/19/2013

definitely agree with # 1, 2 and 3

by Anonymousreply 5802/19/2013

Well, I'll say one thing for it, it doesn't say "baby" anywhere on the menu as in "baby" spinach or carrots, never got that crap about everything being baby either, let alone this oddly complicated menu. I think even the French would find it puzzling.

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2013

Is the communal table thing a trend?

I've only encountered it a few times. Ones my group got along with the other group (more so as we all drank more wine) and the other time the two groups totally ignored each other.

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2013

I think it died with the economy, r60.

by Anonymousreply 6102/19/2013

I do.

by Anonymousreply 6202/19/2013

Euell Gibbons would find it appealing.

by Anonymousreply 6302/19/2013

Fran Lebowitz Once Got Kicked Out of James Beard’s House

8/11/11 at 12:30 PM

She puts her ketchup wherever she wants to.

At a La Grenouille luncheon yesterday celebrating Gloria Steinem and HBO's new documentary about her, Gloria: In Her Own Words, we bumped into Fran Lebowitz. We wondered if she'd ever done anything along the lines of Steinem, who famously dressed up as a Playboy bunny for a story. "I’ve never tried to get a story, unfortunately," the iconic writer told us. "I just see stories around me." Nothing? Really? Well, she finally admitted, there was that one time she got herself kicked out of the James Beard House.

"When I was really young, a friend of mine and I went to James Beard's house, which was in the village," she says. "We were taken there by Arthur Bell, who was invited; he was a journalist for the Village Voice. He actually had a crush on this friend of mine, and he invited us to go. I said, 'I don’t want to go James Beard’s. I don’t care about things like that.'" Eventually, she says, she relented — on one condition. "I said if I went, I’d bring a bottle of ketchup. So we did." But Beard wasn't happy to see the guests putting ketchup on their food. So what happened when she was caught, um, red-handed? "We were thrown out."

by Anonymousreply 6402/19/2013

Do farmers and ranchers give restaurants a discount, if they get their names on the menu?

This is a serious question, some of the more airy-fairy restaurants around here really do put "Macabre Farms radiccio" and "Butcher Camp Ranch beef" on their menus.

by Anonymousreply 6502/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 6602/19/2013

Rude and contrived. Attention-seeking behavior. She had no idea what was going to be served. No matter what it was she was putting ketchup on it? Why didn't she spit in Beard's face; it would have made the same point.

by Anonymousreply 6702/20/2013

This menu reads like one of the parody meals from Ellis' American Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 6802/20/2013

It needs cute little Brussel Sprouts. Brussel Sprouts is just like having a plate of little people to eat!

by Anonymousreply 6902/20/2013

Check your thread title -- "appalling" was autocorrected to "appealing."

by Anonymousreply 7002/20/2013

Imagine the horrifying bowel movement that would follow this meal.

by Anonymousreply 7102/20/2013

Is this like one of those farm to table places but they just forage in the empty lot across the street? Local petite fungus sun braised in a vintage O.E. can finished with grasse du crab and pumpkin seeds.

by Anonymousreply 7202/20/2013

I imagine it would be something like

'burnt umber' feces in a chilled dihydrogen monoxide broth, garnished with heirloom wood fiber crepe

by Anonymousreply 7302/20/2013

Looks labor intensive.

by Anonymousreply 7402/20/2013

This menu sounds like the chef raided a compost heap!!

Heritage chicken? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7502/20/2013

Pretentious, BS menu of much ado about nothing while people STARVE and go hungry, even in the USA.

What BS.

I'll take my grandmother's recipes that were handed down over the generations over this bs. Heck, I'd take McDonalds and great conversation over this crap.

Stale bread can be a feast if there is love and great conversation.

by Anonymousreply 7602/20/2013

r30 is pretentious and needs to come off his or her high horse cuz he or she sounds ridiculous.Surely r30 is a yuppie.

It's a f'ing salad. You know, lettuce, maybe different types of lettuce, cukes, tomato, an onion slice. Maybe, just maybe, a..gasp...radish slice!! Perhaps a few young leaves of chi-chi weeds...I mean greens....Grow it how you want,grow it where you want, most likely you didn't grow it at all. It's a SALAD with dressing.That is all. JUST A SALAD. You can eat it before or after the damn meal, but it is a freaking SALAD, meaning some leaves and an oil or milk based dressing.Shut up and eat it. Deal with it.

R30 probably pays too much for a meal.

So, mystery poster, just what city in culinary land of the gastronomically enlightened do you live in where the residents are salad cognocenti, huh?

by Anonymousreply 7702/20/2013

"Pretentious, BS menu of much ado about nothing while people STARVE and go hungry, even in the USA."

New flash - the rich have always eaten better than the poor, throughout human history. And really, this menu isn't that unbearable - apart from the ghastly language of course. It's really just chicken and vegetables and fish all tarted up, no fois gras or flamingo's tongues or venison mousse popsicles, none of the really crazy stuff that's out there.

And I'd agree with you about Grandma's recipes, if my grandma wasn't such an awful cook. I'd rather eat "vermillion snapper" than iceberg lettuce with Miracle Whip on it.

by Anonymousreply 7802/20/2013

r18, in most of the USA, when someone says it comes with a salad, it means lettuce based.

by Anonymousreply 7902/20/2013

The mainstream press has stopped talking about the "best" world restaurants. All that ended when that place in Spain closed, and the economy never really recovered either.

by Anonymousreply 8002/20/2013

(Check out this menu from 101 years ago -- as Ruth Reichl says, restaurants have always been about theater...)

Cullen's restaurant in Houston was one of several around the world that served lavish, 10-course meals on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking in an attempt to replicate the last meal served aboard the ship. Here's what Cullen's served to its dozen guests Saturday night, at a tab of $12,000 per head:

Hors d'oeuvres

—oysters a la Russe, canapes a l'amiral

First course

—consomme Olga, port wine and beef consommé, Maine scallops, parsley, celeriac

Second course

—poached Scottish salmon, sauce mousseline, cucumber, caviar, chives

Third course

—filet medallions Lilli, seared foie gras, pomme Anna, artichokes, truffles, sauce Perigueux, chicken saute, sauce Lyonnais, stuffed zucchini

Fourth course

—roast rack of lamb, mint sauce,

—roast duck, apple puree,

—sirloin of beef, pomme chateaux,

—buttered green peas,

—creamed carrots,

—rice pilaf,

—pomme Parmentier,

—boiled new potatoes

Fifth course

—punch romaine

Sixth course

—roast Pennsylvania squab, water cress, herbed croute, bread sauce, game chips

Seventh course

—chilled asparagus vinaigrette, salad frisee, oranges, radish

Eighth course

—pate de foie gras, celery salad, toasted brioche, sauterne jelly

Ninth course

—Waldorf pudding, poached hill country peaches, chartreuse jelly, chocolate and vanilla éclairs, french vanilla ice cream

Tenth course

—selection of Texas cheese, fresh seasonal tree and vine-ripened fruit

by Anonymousreply 8102/20/2013

That is way too much food R81. How did people back then keep from being fat pigs if that's what the wealthy ate?

by Anonymousreply 8202/20/2013

Weren't thy all fat like Howard Taft, r82?

by Anonymousreply 8302/20/2013

minus the brioche and dessert courses, that's very low carb.

by Anonymousreply 8402/20/2013

They ate very small proportions of all of the above. check out older china sets and you will see, a compote is only a few tablespoons worth. a salad plate is six inches in diameter

by Anonymousreply 8502/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!