Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Had Two Teeth Pulled Yesterday

I'm going to get implants.

One tooth was on top, one on the bottom. I feel like someone beat the shit out of my head while I was asleep. Wow. I've had a tooth pulled before. It was nothing like this. I wish I'd known -- I would have bought a dozen eggs (for scrambling) and soups. Even with Advil and Percocet , it still hurts to open my mouth and chew.Even my sinus above the upper tooth is misbehaving. And I think the antibiotic is giving me a stomach ache. Of course, my partner left town his morning and won't be back for 2 days.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3602/22/2013

why were they pulled? were they rotten?

do you need to get off drugs, OP?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 102/19/2013

Many old people start losing their teeth.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 202/19/2013

Say yes OP and charlie will throw you a grand or two for them new teefs.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 302/19/2013

Poot baby. It's too bad they're going to discover that the periodontal disease is so severe that the underlying bone has thinned to the point that implants can't be anchored.

So you'll need two bridges, which will accelerate decay, inflame tissue and leave your mouth smelling like rotting roadkill. And the speech impediment will never be able to be overcome, not with issues on the uppers and the lowers both. Plus shortly after the bridges are installed - which with the additional surgery and healing you'll need will take six months at least - the continued disease will cause you to lose more teeth, so the bridges will have to be replaced with new ones, with the cycle starting all over again.

At that point the dentist will recommend you have all your teeth extracted so you can be fitted with dentures. You'll piss and moan but nothing will be able to be done to avoid it. And that will take almost a year because by then your mandible and upper jaw will be so porous and pocked from the infection that there is a risk for your bones to crumble, leaving you looking like Roger Ebert. But the dentures will likely finally go in.

Unfortunately, it all will have gone on so long that the ultimate risk of poor dental care, coronary problems, will have led to severe atherosclerosis, and you'll need bypass surgery if you manage not to die from the inevitable myocardial infarction. But even if you survive your congestive heart failure will nail you, as edema swells your limbs like balloon animals and you can't walk to the toilet without breaking into a sweat and falling over.

So you'll die. And they'll lay you out in the coffin, and you'll have endured such illness for so long that your shrunken and misshapen head and face will leave those new teeth peeking out between your stapled-shut lips, and people will stand there and stare, saying you look like you have a mouth full of broken chalk. And they'll take pictures, and eventually someone will bump this old thread and post a photo of you, which will trigger another three or four posts before you are forgotten forever.

See what happens when you don't floss?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 402/19/2013

R4 = Dean of UM Dental school

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 502/19/2013

I'm 32 and have had two teeth pulled. They cracked when I was eating innocuous things (a carrot, and an almond), and I couldn't afford to have them fixed. When I finally had the money to fix them, they were too far gone. Fortunately, they are at the upper back of my mouth (not visible), and I still have all of my wisdom teeth.

The day after I had my second tooth pulled, I worked a full 8 hour shift at a call center.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 602/19/2013

Can you make a video of yourself singing "I Dreamed a Dream"?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 702/19/2013

Yeah the ones who never heard of a tooth brush.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 802/19/2013

R4, are you retarded?

Have you never heard of bone grafts?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 902/20/2013

You can get implants nowadays that anchor dentures. You can go the cheaper route -- 4 implants on top and 4 implants on the bottom -- and snap removable dentures onto the implants.

Or you could get 6 or 8 implants (depending on mouth size) on top and the same number on the bottom and have a denture made up that is like a fixed bridge. You leave them in, but go to the dentist every three months to have then removed and cleaned.

The latter method is better looking, more comfortable and a lot more expensive than the all-on-four. Both are a lot more expensive than regular old dentures. But they're better.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1002/20/2013

I think I have a dry socket. I kind of over rinsed with the Perioguard because my mouth felt filthy when I wasn't allowed to brush the first day. I still haven't used my waterpik which also makes my mouth feel disgusting when I haven't used it vigorously twice a day. They told me not to use it for a few days.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1102/20/2013

Since OP doesn't want to talk about it, I'd say he definitely lost 2 teeth to drug use.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1202/20/2013

R4 is a fucking sadist. He probably masturbated at the same time as writing that.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1302/20/2013

I cracked a tooth years ago and spent a fortune (well, $1200) trying to save it. Waste of money. Eventually it came out completely. Thank god I didn't have the extra $800 for a cap at the time because I think I might have had to get that redone. It's way in the back so I figured no one will see. It wasn't until years later that I wondered if having a gap back there will affect my other teeth somehow. I hate the thought of getting an implant.

My bottom teeth were a bit out of alignment. My bottom wisdom teeth were partially impacted and I'd get food caught there. A dentist had taught me how to clean it properly to avoid that and use hydrogen peroxode etc to avoid and cure future swelling.

But years ago I had another episode and decided to get rid of that wisdom tooth. It was easily taken out.

The interesting side effect of losing that wisdom tooth was that within 6 months the bottom teeth on that side were all straight. I guess they were less crowded then. I still think about removing the other bottom wisdom tooth to see if the bttom teeth will also straighten out perfectly. Since it's not my front teeth I tend to ignore it though.

OP, has your dentist called to see how you are?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1402/20/2013

OP, make sure you are out when they put the implants in, especially the top one. I was too cheap when I had mine done; I felt like my brain had turned into scrambled eggs by the time they pounded that sucker into the bone.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1502/20/2013

Risky business.

I went through the pain and $$$$ of getting the tooth pulled, bone graft, abutment, implant, and a crown, and now after a year it appears there is a gap between the implant and the abutment which keeps getting infected, and now I have to have to have the gum scaled back to allow me to better clean it. This will leave me looking like a freak, because the implant metal will be exposed. That or spend another $$$ for a new, "flesh-colored" implant. Two separate dental professionals are involved--of course neither is taking responsibility.

I can't tell you how pissed I am.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1602/20/2013

Dentistry can be such a racket. It can do amazing things but it is way too expensive. I think eventually I will live on smoothies and soup.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1702/20/2013

Fuck that, R16. I am leaving my rear gap alone.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1802/20/2013

Sounds exactly like a dry socket. When I had one, they told me to come in the office the next morning and he put some of this clove tasting junk in it. The pain just went away like magic.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 1902/20/2013

R19 the clove tasting stuff sounds like Ambesol.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2002/20/2013

R9, are you retarded, as well as literal, concrete, and just plain stupid?

What part of "fiction" and "hyperbole" don't you understand?

All of it?

(God, these idiots on the DL nowadays.)

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2102/20/2013

[quote]Fuck that, [R16]. I am leaving my rear gap alone.

How far back is that, r18? Be careful or your cheek will start caving in. I'm about to get implants myself. *Not* happy about it but it beats the alternative.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2202/20/2013

You're not funny, R4/21.

Deal with it.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2302/20/2013

Damn. R16, that sucks! These implants cost about $5,000 each what with costs of the extraction, the graft, the implant, abutment and crown. It's not your fault there's a gap.

I refuse to have root canals anymore. I spent $3,000 having a root canal, post and crown and the damn crown kept coming off. I had to keep driving to the dentist and back (an hourlong drive because of where there was a provider for the insurance company) getting it recemented. It died 3 years later and I had to get an implant.

I'm never paying for a root canal again. Cut out the middle man and go straight for the extraction and implant. No more waste.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2402/20/2013

Gap here. It's the second to the last tooth on top. You can't see it when I smile at all.

How in the world would my cheeks sink in?

I do worry something might happen.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2502/20/2013

I should get implants, but I'm too fucking poor. Instead, I make do with a flipper [it's like a retainer for after braces, but has fake teeth attached].

However, I would be able to afford a bridge. Should I hold out on the hopes that someday I'll have enough money for implants, or just give in and get the fucking bridge?

[I'm 40, in good general health afaik, and the missing teeth are the ones on either side of the upper incisors. Without the flipper, I look like Bugs Bunny.]

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2602/20/2013

I had a flipper for a while, during the implant process (which took a few years, it was complicated) How do you kiss with that thing?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2702/20/2013

Baby talk, baby talk, it's a wonder you can walk.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2802/20/2013

OP, seriously, if your sinus is hurting a lot, you might want to get it checked. The roots of your teeth keep growing. The upper teeth's roots grow very near the sinuses and, sometimes, into the sinuses. My mother had an upper tooth pulled and they ripped her sinus. It was a huge mess and she was in a lot of pain. Maybe they nicked yours and didn't notice.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 2902/21/2013

What a trashy fucking thread.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3002/21/2013

I had a flipper for my back teeth while I was waiting for a permanent bridge. I stopped wearing it for two weeks, since it was in the back of my mouth. When I tried to put the flipper back in, it didn't fit anymore.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3102/21/2013

[quote]How in the world would my cheeks sink in?

You're probably okay if it's way back. If the absent teeth are closer to the middle though, you'll start looking like a sunken-cheeked meth addict. Hasn't your dentist warned you about this?

On a brighter note, it helps us geezers hiss better.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3202/21/2013

The pain receded a few hours after I took Advil, Tylenol and Percocet. I thought it would go away abut 45 minutes to an hour after taking the medication, but it took about 2.5 - 3 hours

When I start to feel pain again I immediately take more pain medication.

I guess I don't have a dry socket. When you have a dry socket, does pain medication work or does the pain persist despite medication?

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3302/21/2013

OP you can still have a dry socket.

Go the dentist and get it checked. It could get worse.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3402/21/2013

[quote]How do you kiss with that thing?

I don't, I remove it beforehand.

Always a pleasant thing >:(

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3502/22/2013

Sing "I Dreamed A Dream" and sell your hair.

by Bitch, Moan, Bitch, Moanreply 3602/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!