Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

No gay who worships Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Diana, Bette, etc. is under 60!

I'm just copying and pasting this response from another thread. I thought it would be an interesting topic for the different generations on DL to discuss.

The writer wrote

'I can guarantee that no gay who worships Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Bette, etc. is under 60 years of age. Those women were all popular when Christ was in Pampers. Most of the gays I know who are under 50 like rock, classic rock, indie rock, alternative, industrial, etc. I know no gays under 60 who worship those women. I am 32 and I like all types of ROCK MUSIC, not that overblown, overproduced squawking by those ancient, plastic-surgeried, has-been divas. Fuck them all up the ass!'

So Dlers fire back!

by Anonymousreply 18905/15/2015

OP here

The above statement was from this thread at #41

by Anonymousreply 102/19/2013

I was at Cher's first finale concert in ATL many years ago and there were plenty of all ages of gy men.

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2013

I'm 31 and am a huge rock fan. That being said, I was surprised to catch a Barbra Streisand song and enjoy it. Don't get caught up in concentrating on only one genre. Spread out. Experiment. Realize that a lot of the musicians you count as your favorites may have been inspired by the same ladies you are bashing. You may not be a major fan, but a great voice and great music stand the test of time surprisingly well, even if the themes and styles fall out of vogue.

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2013

I know gay guys who are into these gals and are under 60, but they ain't spring chickens either.

by Anonymousreply 402/19/2013

It depends where you are. Many, many small town gays (old AND young) adore the great dames.

But in general, the younger crowd is a more varied taste. Most of my friends listen to indie rock/modern music, but were creaming their AndrewChristians when Madonna was in town.

by Anonymousreply 502/19/2013

I am in my twenties, I can appreciate Streisand's talent though I wouldn't exactly call myself a big fan. I never got the Cher thing.

by Anonymousreply 602/19/2013

Um, I beg your pardon. I don't see my name mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 702/19/2013

OP, why on earth would you create a thread based on an ignorant statement made by an idiot who thinks he's cool because he likes rock music? As if gay men either have to like the music of Barbra, Liza, et. al. or rock music.....they don't get to choose both? I'm a gay guy "under 60" whose iTunes library is probably similar to many gays, i.e. it includes Streisand, Diana Ross, the Killers, U2, Led Zeppelin, Mozart, Johnny Cash, Chris Isaak, and about a billion other artists and genres. It's just fucking ridiculous to make general statements about music preferences.

by Anonymousreply 802/19/2013

The writer also wrote

'TINA TURNER' gets a pass. She did rock in her day. She would get a pass solely for her version of "Proud Mary", which kicked ass. Also "Nutbush City Limits" (always loved that filthy title). She's goes on the cool list.

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2013

Nope, will not fire back and try to make sweeping general statements about people that are designed to make them less than something else. It is OK if someone loves Cher or Barbra or Beyonce or whomever whatever age they are, what ever sex, or sexuality. It is also OK if they like heavy metal too.

In fact, it's great to be passionate about a particular type of music and performer. For Chrissakes that is why they perform and produce the music.

I just am not interested in putting people down for it, in any guise. Streisand is a singer for the ages- good for those who can see it and appreciate it- and if they do not like her, I hope they like someone or something else. Springstein is a great rocker-Brubaker (sp?) was a genius- Bob Dylan is a genius. Let people be passionate about what they love. It brings them joy.

Leave it alone.

by Anonymousreply 1002/19/2013

So he mostly likes music by white males only, and thinks it's something to pride himself about, what an ass. It's just the usual "straighter than thou" crap, a loser wacking off to how allegedly butch he is.

He's also way off on the timing, Cher was pop star from the 60s-80s, so her fans can be as young as in their 40s. People who came of age when Madonna hit would only be in their mid-40s by now. The other women probably have older fans, though over 50 is more accurate than over 60. Anyway, a lot of us are open-minded enough to appreciate music recorded before our time. I was only 4 when Judy died, but she was a great singer and I enjoy her music occasionally. I also love the Supremes, but was only a toddler when those songs were hits.

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2013

R11 he does say that Tina Turner gets a pass.

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2013

Madonna's earliest fans are all in their 40s and 50s now. She probably has few over 60 fans at all. Cher also has younger fans because of her insane career longevity; "I got you babe" might've been before they were born, but they still danced at clubs to "Believe" and her other late hits.

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2013

A college roommate of mine was REALLY into Streisand. Granted, he'd be about 48 by now, but he's still under 60. Meanwhile, I ran into him about a dozen years ago and ALL of his music was circuit party dance music.

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2013

There's different ways to be a fan of things especially now it's all a YouTube click away. if we're talking about being a fan of something as it is actively in the popular culture you could be 40 and lived through a bunch of Cher and Bette and all of Madonna of course.

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2013

The "etc." alone denotes this person as a clueless controversialist. The desire to make points by attacking other gay people by squawking about popular culture is particularly offensive. These foolish little shits, so unprepared for life and burdened by entitlement, attempt to turn older gay people into parental figures whose history and experience are slashed for - what? Spite? True self-loathing?

I don't "worship" any of these people, but the mindset that accepts Bowie, Keith Richards, Dylan, or whoever while shitting on other venerable performers is transparently gay-baiting. And a mindset that rejects all earlier or established popular artists simply is adolescent and lost in time.

But let's do get one thing straight. No current young talent is equal to any of the people mentioned as reflections of gay aesthetic (and I have no respect for Madonna beyond appreciation for her drive). The latter-day crop reflect the same reflexes presented by the poster - uneducated, uncommitted, self-referential, brittle, derivative, uncreative, crude.

And if you reject the notion of a gay aesthetic you need to find somewhere else to play. How about your mother's kitchen, where all your problems seem to start and end?

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2013

R15 Nobody OVER 60 likes Madonna! Her fan base is OVERWHELMING people in their 30 and at most 40s. She always trended way younger than her age.

She won kid's choice awards in the 80s when she was pushing 30, all the kids who voted were about 15- 30 younger than her, that's her core fanbase of ages.

Barbra was the opposite as her type of music style as such she actually trended OLDER than her age.

I've never seen any old people at any Madonna concert I've been too, I have occasionally seen teenagers however.

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2013

Flame away, guys. LOL. Hey, I'm the guy who originally posted that "No gay who worships Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Diana, Bette, etc. is under 60!" on another thread. I was basing my statement on the people I know. I have many friends between the ages of 25 and 55 and only one of them listen to "the divas". As for the statement from another poster saying that I'm an idiot who only listens to music by white males, that is incorrect. I listen to a lot of music by a wide variety of people (R&B, Funk, Disco, etc.). I really do not know many men in the 25-55 age bracket that relate to aging women in glittery dresses. Sorry to stir up a shit-storm. I was apparently way off with my statement. Perhaps I need to expand my horizons and hang out with a wider variety of people. I admit I was wrong. The majority of gay men of all ages apparently love the women I named. I stand corrected and I apologize if I offended anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2013

I say, "So what?" I am just tired of fighting about it. We all get old. If older men like these aging divas, fine. We all get old and die. So scratching and clawing our way to try to hold on to some sort of "youth/relevancy" thing is pathetic and sad. I think the best retort to the OP's post is "Yes. mmm. hmm. And your point is?"

Take the ageists' power away.

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013

I am 32, Female and...well, pretty much everyone I know, gay/straight/bi/m/f has a Cher or Madonna record somewhere.

My friends and acquaintances range from 20-65, are mostly in their 30s and many of them (again, regardless of age, sexuality or gender) also appreciate Liza, Judy and Barbra. I don't think Bette Midler had the same sort of impact in the UK except in her movies, and Diana Ross, although we all know her work, is someone our parents listened to, although plenty of my friends love the Supremes/have their greatest hits.

by Anonymousreply 2002/19/2013

The person who posted it didn't mention, the OP is trying to start shit by lumping her name in with women who started out 20+ years before she did.

Let's say in 1985 when Madonna really exploded the age of the average Madonna fan was 15, in 2013 those fans would all be turning 43, Madonna was a teen idol for at least the first 10 years of her career.

People who were over 30 in 1985 HATED Madonna with a passion, it was unheard of for that age group to be a fan

Even one of the reviewers of her 1985 Virgin tour said the majority of her audience was 12-15 year old girld and some boys (future gays) why did the OP decide to add Madonna to that list, when in her case it's not true at all.

by Anonymousreply 2102/19/2013

Lets say they are 60, so? Why do you think that only things liked by twenty-somethings are valid? You youngsters are soooo fucking insecure!

by Anonymousreply 2202/19/2013

I'm 48 and I have never gotten into Cher, Barbra, etc. I don't hate the women listed, and I respect their talent, but they are not really my bag. I grew up on FM Radio Rock. I also like heavy metal, industrial, new wave, funk, r&b, '70s disco, '50s rock 'n' roll, some country (not much), classical, etc. Some of my friends like Madonna, Cher, etc. I say, 'To each their own."

by Anonymousreply 2302/19/2013

Good for the original poster for acknowledging he misspoke and apologizing. Wish more offensive youngsters were like you...

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013

"No masculine guy worships those performers no matter his age. It is just not a very manly thing to do."

Maybe today that's true. My dad loved Cher and Barbra and used to play their records when I was growing up. He would have been 85 now if he hadn't died 8 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2602/19/2013

I've never understood this whole worshipping "divas" bullshit. None of those "divas" are paying my bills, so who gives a fuck? Too bad gays don't have enough sense to support openly gay entertainers instead of straight women all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2702/19/2013

"Too bad gays don't have enough sense to support openly gay entertainers instead of straight women all the time."

Uh, talent usually dictates ones taste in music not sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 2802/19/2013

R26, thanks for giving us the rules. It's nice to see GOD posting here.

You are a douchebag. Who is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2902/19/2013

Most gay men think U2 are "rock musicians." They want to be down, but they just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013

I never understand people that say they "grew up on..." or was "brought up to believe...."

Don't any of you grow? Expand your taste or knowledge? Not that anybody has to like old divas, but really, some of your excuses are lame.

by Anonymousreply 3102/19/2013

I dunno...personally, I'm a jazz fan, have been since I was a kid. Within the genre, I enjoy a number of the great female jazz singers, both the older ones and the newer ones. I also like both classical and Latin. I've never liked pop music at all, not even as a teenager.

I'm 38 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3202/19/2013

I don't "worship" anyone. I can appreciate GaGa and Adele, as well as Babs, Liza, Madonna (at their peaks). It's all good.

by Anonymousreply 3302/19/2013

I love a wide variety of music but loathe the mindset of R30 and OP (though I appreciate OP's mea culpa). The whole "I'm cooler and better than you because I like rock music" is such a pervasive bunch of horse shit it makes me puke. Like what you like. But using your musical tastes to inflate your own ego is just pathetic. It's an attitude shared by too many asshole rock fans are just insecure little boys inside, praying the big kids will think they're "cool."

by Anonymousreply 3402/19/2013

Go to any Madonna concert and you will see plenty of gay men but you will not find anybody over the age of 60 I guarantee it.

Madonna's 54 the rest of the women on the list are senior citizens.

Madonna's been doing EDM music for the better part of 15 years, again music for a younger age demo

Janet has a gay following why isn't she listed? She debuted the same year as Madonna in '82, she may be 8 years younger but she was never a kid/teen idol like Madonna was, so it could be argued Madonna's fanbase is younger than Janets.

by Anonymousreply 3502/19/2013

I'm 19 and I worship Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 3602/19/2013

I just did some research and on Madonna's official Facebook page under likes the most popular age group is 18-24 years old.

On Liza's and Striesand's FB paged the most popular age group is 45-54 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3702/19/2013

R35, that's because Madonna's a whore and her singing sucks. No respectable 60 year old goes for that shit!

by Anonymousreply 3802/19/2013

"I'm cooler and better than you because I like rock music". I grew up on rock. When I say I like rock, but that I don't care for Sheena Easton, Olivia Newton-John or Streisand, it's not to say I'm better than anyone else. It's a matter of taste. People ask why, if I don't care for the divas, why am I commenting on a thread about them? It's because virtually everyone (including other gays) ASSUMES that my iPod is full of Midler songs because I am gay. Every time someone at work has a question about Liza or Judy, they ask either me or my gay co-worker. Neither of us know any more about Liza and Judy than they do. Ask me about The Rolling Stones, Ramones or Cheap Trick, I can help you. On the other hand, a lot of gay men practically skin me alive because I say that I don't care for Barbra or Diana. They same I'm in some kind of 'denial' and that I only listen to rock music to appear more butch to straights. Trust me, I don't give a bloody buttfuck if straight people approve of me or not. I just tire of people assuming that because I suck cock that that dictates the type of music that appeals to me. I suck cock. I like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy. Sue me! I also tire of other gaymen telling me that I only listen to Black Sabbath to appear more butch (in other words, fooling myself).

by Anonymousreply 3902/19/2013

Ok, so maybe there are masculine men over 85 years old who are into divas and stuff. maybe.

by Anonymousreply 4002/19/2013

What's wrong with preferring music from white males? Do I lose my gay card now?

by Anonymousreply 4102/19/2013

I can attest all the baby gays love Niki Minaj now.

by Anonymousreply 4202/19/2013

r41, not if it is music from the '80s.

Oh L'amour!

by Anonymousreply 4302/19/2013

I'm 16, 17 in a month, and I love all the women you listed, lol...

by Anonymousreply 4402/19/2013

R44, you're also a liar lol

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

Meh I really dont care. My taste in music is not mainstream so it really makes no difference to me. The worse thing I can think to say of people who like the women listed is its sort of predictable and not very challenging, but some people want that with their music.

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2013

Here are some gay/lesbian music acts who are more worthy of our time and money.

Freddie Mercury/Queen

Rob Halford/Judas Priest

Joan Jett/Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Doug Pinnick/Kings X

Fred Schneider, Ricky Wilson/The B-52's

Melissa Etheridge

Janis Ian

Jake Shears/Scissor Sisters

Johnny Mathis

Little Richard

Rufus Wainwright

Indigo Girls

Andy Bell/Erasure

George Michael

Dan Hartman/Edgar Winter Group

k.d. lang

Neil Tennant/Pet Shop Boys

Ricky Martin

Darby Crash/The Germs

Alicia Bridges

Chely Wright

Adam Lambert

Billy Preston

...and many, many more.

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

Why all the White Man hate? They make good music too.

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2013

"What's wrong with preferring music from white males?"

Oh, the irony . . .

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

[R45]Not lying lol, I still all different types of music and newer music, but I love all of those listed. I can't stand Nicki Minaj at all though, and Katy Perry is awful most of the time. I'm also a little monster, no shame lol.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

R47, don't forget Clay Aiken. He's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

The average gay Madonna fan is in their 30s and 40s. Madonna's needs to not be included because it's FALSE.

My friend from work is 27 and she her gay best friend who's 28 went to see Madonna in concert last year.

I (early 30's) and 2 of my best gay male friends and 5 of their friends also saw Madonna in concert last year. Again all 30's

The entire crowd was made up of lots of gay white men20s-40s, some black and hispanics, and surprisingly some teens/college kids and straight couples.

I didn't see a single old person, hell I don't think I spotted someone in the audience who is Madonna's (54) age.

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2013

Even if it was true, so what?

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2013

R1, Sorry, Clay. I didn't mean to leave you out. Don't fret.

by Anonymousreply 5402/19/2013

I meant [R51], Sorry, Clay. I didn't mean to leave you out. Don't fret.

by Anonymousreply 5502/19/2013

The 15 greatest songs evah!

1. Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland

2. Express Yourself - Madonna

3. Believe - Cher

4. New York, New York - Liza Minnelli

5. Woman In Love - Barbra Streisand

6. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross

7. The Rose - Bette Midler

8. Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler

9. Take Me Home - Cher

10. People - Barbra Streisand

11. Cabaret - Liza Minnelli

12. Memories - Barbra Streisand

13. You Don't Bring Me Flowers - Barbra Streisand

14. Hell On Wheels - Cher

15. No More Tears (Enough is Enough) - Streisand & Summers

By the way, I'm 25. Suck it all you fuckhead rockers. Rock and Roll fucking sucks. It killed music!

by Anonymousreply 5602/19/2013

I am under 40 and worship no one, but I do know who most of those women are.

I actually prefer a lot of classic blues, music even older.

by Anonymousreply 5702/19/2013

Rock music is experiencing its death rattle, while the wonderful music of Cher, Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, Bette Midlah, Judy Garland, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Taylor Dayne, Lady Gaga, Brandy, Monica, Beyonce, Rhianna, Olivia Newton-John, Abba, Etta James, Tina Turner, Janet Jackson, Pink, Nikki Manaj, Cyndi Lauper, Stacy Q., Sheena Easton, Vanessa Williams, Paula Abdul, and ESPECIALLY Madonna lives on stronger than ever. You rockers feel threatened by your dying 'art form' so you lash out at the music that will last eternity. Rock is dead. Throw it a funeral and get some taste, assholes!

by Anonymousreply 5802/19/2013

I have never met a gay man in his thirties or forties that is not a Madonna, Bette or Cher fan. Most love Babs too. It's part of our collective gay DNA.

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2013

I feel sorry for the person who wrote what OP reposted. It's like when I read a book on Stonewall and the author was obviously ashamed that many gay men of that time were fans of Judy Garland. He did his best to paint such a negative portrayal of the association that I simply put his book down and refused to read another page.

It's like missing out on a fine wine, or a Picasso exhibition. These divas simply aren't one dimensional cartoons for your amusement. Their songs are pages torn from the diary of a gay man. Their delivery taps into the wounded emotions of many of us and can make us barrel on through the negative into the positive with a fur coat draped over our shoulders and an attiude of I AM and I AM GOING TO BE!

If you don't get it, fine. But you better ASK someone who does GET IT before you comment. Then you might understand.

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2013

R59 I am a gay man in my late 40s. I do not hate or dislike Madonna, Cher, Barbra, or Bette, but I do not listen to them. Their music does nothing for me at all. When I go to a club, dancing to Madonna is great. I do not listen to her in my home or my car. My musicals taste runs in a different stream. Pink Floyd, Rush, Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, B.B. King, Mastodon, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Alice In Chains, Tool, Queen, Joan Jett, AC-DC, Green Day, U2, Depeche Mode, New Order, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Melissa Etheridge, Judas Priest, The Kinks, Kings-X, Yes, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Rolling Stones, The Who, ABBA, Bee Gees, Earth Wind & Fire, Ohio Players, Rick James.

by Anonymousreply 6102/19/2013

[quote]Here are some gay/lesbian music acts who are more worthy of our time and money.

[quote]Fred Schneider, Ricky Wilson/The B-52's

Keith Strickland (drummer/guitarist) is gay, too, ya know. And Kate Pierson is a lesbian-leaning bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 6302/19/2013

I'm sorry r61, but I've never met a gay man who could really relate to Hendrix or Led Zep. It just doesn't seem quite possible. That whole list seems like it was copied from some straight guy's iPod (except for Melissa Etheridge, Joan Jett and Queen).

by Anonymousreply 6402/19/2013

You need to get out of the gay ghetto more often, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6502/19/2013

r64, you probably only hang with a certain type of stereotypical gay dude, probably older ones at that. you hang around gay dudes just like you and don't relate with bisexual and gay dudes who are part of mainstream society. birds of a feather flock together.

by Anonymousreply 6602/19/2013

R59 let's meet. I have different DNA. I despise both Babs and Madonna and I can appreciate Cher, but am not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 6702/19/2013

I love Hendrix.

You must know some odd birds guy.

by Anonymousreply 6802/19/2013

Lists are so tedious. No one cares, Butchie Butch at R61.

by Anonymousreply 6902/19/2013

[quote]I'm sorry [R61], but I've never met a gay man who could really relate to Hendrix or Led Zep. It just doesn't seem quite possible. That whole list seems like it was copied from some straight guy's iPod (except for Melissa Etheridge, Joan Jett and Queen).

I adore Led Zeppelin. Physical Graffiti is the best of the albums, closely followed by Led Zeppelin III. Motorhead and AC DC do it for me too, although I find most other rock music uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 7002/19/2013

There is no way I would give a flying shit what that "writer" thinks.

by Anonymousreply 7102/19/2013

[quote]No gay who worships Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Diana, Bette, etc. is under 60!

I don't worship anyone, but I'm under 60 and except for Judy Garland who is dead and never had a taste for, I've seen each of the performers you mention live.

by Anonymousreply 7202/19/2013

{quote] I've seen each of the performers you mention live.

Rank them first to last in your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 7302/19/2013

I don't understand people who like only a single or few genres of music. It's akin to people who don't travel or visit only familiar destinations cost to home, who eat only specific foods and won't try anything out of their comfort zone, or don't watch black & whites movies or musicals. It represents a profound lack of curiosity and possibly intelligence. That type of person is rarely interesting or engaging.

by Anonymousreply 7402/19/2013

[quote]Rank them first to last in your opinion.

Saw Streisand at Madison Square garden. She stands there and sings her ass off. It was thrilling to her sing but her show was getting boring. She sang all ballads and I wished she would have done some up tempos.

Saw Madonna's The Virgin Tour, Who's That Girl World Tour(a stadium show she performed one night at Madison Square Garden as an AIDS benefit dedicated to Keith Haring), The Blond Ambition World Tour,& The Girlie Show World Tour. I still think The Blonde Ambition Show is one of the best shows ever presented.

Bette On Broadway in "Divine Madness", she born to be onstage. Later filmed as a concert movie.

Diana Ross at Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, small intimate show but I was expecting a little glitz and glamour but she never even bothered to change her gown the whole show.

Liza on her way to destroying her voice on Broadway in "The Rink" she left the show and went into rehab. Can't listen to her caterwauling today.

Cher, just a lip synched mess of a show with people running all over the place and hanging from the rafters. Now she was the opposite of Ross and changed every five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 7502/19/2013

R64 - Trust me, guy, I know a lot of gay men who love Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. I relate to them and I love them... and, yes, I am a flaming homosexual. I love Metallica. I love Judas Priest. I love Tool (obviously). I love Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. I love AC/DC, The Cult, Guns N Roses, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie, and the list goes on. I like other things too, including Donna Summer, ABBA and a little Madonna and Lady Gaga. Rock music is far from a "heterosexuals only club". As a matter of fact, I met the love of my life at a Van Halen concert in November of 1982. We met that night through friends and we moved in together in January of 1983. We have been together for just over 30 years. We're here. We're Queer. We Rock.

by Anonymousreply 7602/19/2013

R69, I wish I WAS butch. I'm not quite 'Flipper', but no one I meet is surprised when I tell them I'm gay. So, you're wrong on the "Butchie Butch" part. So many gay men HATE any gay man who doesn't like the "stereotypical gay divas". It's like we're betraying our fellow gay brothers and sisters and lying to ourselves. Taste is taste. My brother is heterosexual, married, a "butchie butch" and loves Madonna, Cher and he loves "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette. Is HE betraying his straight brethren by listening to Bette, Madonna and Cher? My list of acts I like were not listed to insult anyone else or to prove I'm something I'm not. It's my musical taste. My closest friends have very similar musical taste. So, there!

by Anonymousreply 7702/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 7802/19/2013

R61 Agreed. I think we have similar musical taste. I have most, maybe all, of the acts you listed on my iPod. I am a card-carrying member of the Church of the One-Eyed Snake Worshippers. I have showtunes, country, disco, punk, ska, jazz, etc. on there too. Variety is the spice of life. Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Diana, Bette can sing and are awesome at what they do, but they play very little part in my life. Others love them and I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 7902/19/2013

Freddie Mercury, my all-time favorite singer, was as gay as I am. He loved his showtunes and his disco and his opera, but some of his favorite performers and musical influences were LED ZEPPELIN, JIMI HENDRIX, ELVIS PRESLEY, THE BEATLES. He was a gay man and he rocked like a motherfucker. Look at Rob Halford from Judas Priest. The epitome of heavy metal cool...and gay. Look at Doug Pinnick from Kings-X (he's black, he's christian, he's gay, and yes, he rocks!).

by Anonymousreply 8002/19/2013

You should never worship any human being or earthly object. Idolatry is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8104/15/2013

No gay who worships Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Diana, Bette, etc. is under 60!

In other news, doctors say you need your heart to live.

by Anonymousreply 8204/16/2013

Who the hell worships anyone?!

by Anonymousreply 8304/16/2013

I've only ever seen Cher, Madonna and Bette in concert and there were a wide range of ages there.

Young as 20s up to 50s, 60s and even 70s.

I wish I could see Diana. Does she even tour anymore?

by Anonymousreply 8404/16/2013

Most gays don't like rock music. They might pretend to in the same way they think they're proving something by saying "bro" which most straight guys just find laughable or sad if their sympathetic. Gay guys either like old divas or the young versions of them (gaga or whatever).

by Anonymousreply 8504/16/2013

I'm 62. My iPod contains Led Zeppelin, The Doors, BB King, Robert Johnson, Queen, AC/DC, Devo, Willie Dixon, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, Black Sabbath, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Ramones, Charlie Daniels Band, Earth, Wind & Fire, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy, Ohio Players, The B-52's, Jimi Hendrix, Cheap Trick, Styx, Billie Holliday, Deep Purple, ABBA, Bee Gees, KC & The Sunshine Band, Cream, Little Walter, Lady Gaga, Nirvana, Bo Diddley, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Kiss, Rush, Beach Boys, ZZ Top, The Kinks, The Who, Metallica, Dio, etc.

I have 14 songs by Madonna and 30 songs by Donna Summer.

No Barbra, No Bette, No Cher, No Liza, No Judy, No Diana. So they must be for a crowd over 60. Maybe 80?

by Anonymousreply 8604/16/2013

Under 60? How about under 77.

by Anonymousreply 8704/16/2013

r85, you are wrong. This is not 1971 anymore, dude.

by Anonymousreply 8804/16/2013

R85 Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8904/16/2013

I'm 29 and worship Liza's OBCRs like The Act, The Rink and Flora, but don't have any of her solo albums. Likewise I have Streisand's I Can Get It For You Wholesale and Funny Girl cast recordings.

by Anonymousreply 9004/16/2013

What a stupid generalization. Anyone who spouts stupid rhetoric like this deserves a slap.

by Anonymousreply 9104/16/2013

Judy Garland did NOT have plastic surgery, I beg your FUCKING pardon.

by Anonymousreply 9204/16/2013

I refuse to believe that even the most die-hard philistines won't become instant Judy Garland fans after watching this brilliant scene. The sly, clever acting and staging, compliments the wonderful voice.

by Anonymousreply 9304/16/2013

No what the mother fucker should say is that no self-respecting gay man under 110 years old would listen to white trash music like Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Aero-smith, The Rolling Stones, Paul MCartney, Lynard Skynard, etc. That shit is for ignorant white trash frat boys with no common fucking sense. Nobody with an IQ of over 45 wouold listen to that bull shit. I hate Bette Midler but I do love the rest of those ladies. Fuck all you haters.

by Anonymousreply 9404/16/2013

I'm 24 and worship Barbra. I've been to 2 of her concerts, and I've traveled from Georgia to Brooklyn to see her last year.

by Anonymousreply 9504/16/2013

I was very lucky to see Donna Summer in concert a couple of years ago, not knowing she would pass away. Best concert I went to, and Donna still had her powerful voice.

by Anonymousreply 9604/16/2013

I only have a couple of songs by Babs and Cher on my iPhone. Most of my female artists consists of Diana Ross and Donna Summer. The rest is pop and Motown music, don't like heavy rock or hip-hop. The album I've been listening to the most is Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience, The Wanted, and Foster The People.

by Anonymousreply 9704/16/2013

Ugh, boring. We are not either or.

I can, and do, like a few names on the "diva" list. I also love rock and roll, punk and new wave.

Unfortunately, we will never run out of threads on DL where obsessives MUST categorize us into Group A or Group B.

So obsessives, you keep at it. Meanwhile, I'm firing up iTunes, and lining up some Sonic Youth, then some Judy Garland, some Elvis Costello, and a little Polly Jean Harvey, too.

by Anonymousreply 9804/16/2013

and this is just another manifestation of the same self-loathing that informs the "gaybro" thread.

Everyone is welcome to like whatever music moves them. That's common sense.

But the self-loathing lies in the obsessive compulsion to find new ways to say "I'm not femme! I'm not a flamer! See, I'm a GOOD gay, not one of those icky ones!"

by Anonymousreply 9904/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 10004/29/2013

r99 LOL

by Anonymousreply 10104/29/2013

r20, I think it is fair to say you live in an extremely artsy enclave that is not indicative of mainstream or middle America.

by Anonymousreply 10204/29/2013

No one under 40 likes any of those people. I'm in my 20s, and have tons of friends. They wouldn't be caught dead seeing any of those hoes. The younger bunch don't even know who the majority of them are. Madonna is known as that woman who kissed Britney Spears.

by Anonymousreply 10304/29/2013

[italic]The average gay Madonna fan is in their 30s and 40s. Madonna's needs to not be included because it's FALSE.

My friend from work is 27 and she her gay best friend who's 28 went to see Madonna in concert last year.

I (early 30's) and 2 of my best gay male friends and 5 of their friends also saw Madonna in concert last year. Again all 30's

The entire crowd was made up of lots of gay white men20s-40s, some black and hispanics, and surprisingly some teens/college kids and straight couples.

I didn't see a single old person, hell I don't think I spotted someone in the audience who is Madonna's (54) age.[/italic]

Madbot, the only men that age are a small bunch of sad queens. Mainstream gays under 30 are not seeing that whore. She's a nostalgia act, that's ticket prices are outrageous. No one who is mainstream is paying to see some old lady strip and lipsync.

by Anonymousreply 10404/29/2013

[quote]People who were over 30 in 1985 HATED Madonna with a passion, it was unheard of for that age group to be a fan

Uh, no. The 50 years olds conservatives hated her in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 10504/29/2013

[quote]Go to any Madonna concert and you will see plenty of gay men but you will not find anybody over the age of 60 I guarantee it.

Oh, brother.

When's the last time Madonna had a #1 single? I'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 10604/29/2013

DL is made up of old white men. I'm one of the few young ones. No one of my generation likes these women. Most don't even know who the hell they are. Cue the heart attacks.

by Anonymousreply 10704/29/2013

I hate threads like this one because on the one hand you have the big fans of these performers who think all gay men are exactly like them and that we ALL have the same musical tastes. On the other hand, you have those who despise these performers (or are just not into them). It turns into a battle of "You love them, you just won't admit it because you want to look butch." Reply: "No, I just don't care for them." Reply: "Yes, you do..." and on and on on.

Note: I like some of them (Madonna, Cher). I like rock, new wave, industrial, dance, pop, etc. My hubby loves rock, metal, industrial, classical, and blues. We are both 46 and neither is putting on a show for anyone else. We just like what we like.

by Anonymousreply 10804/29/2013

R107 True. Only white people (old men over 35) like those hoes. The rest of us at least have taste. If it was left to whitey we would all be lovin' Michael Bolten, Celine Dion, Air Supply, Barry Manllow, One Direction and New Kids Of The Block and N-Synch. They got no flair and no taste. LOL.

Real music Jay-Z, Drake, Lil Wayne.

Suck it bitches

by Anonymousreply 10904/29/2013

I am a 36 year old straight female (frau, if you will) and EVERY gay man I have ever met adores every woman on that list. NO EXCEPTIONS. In addition, I would throw Patti Labelle, Tina Turner, ABBA, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Cyndi Lauper, Britney Spears, Marie Osmond, Helen Reddy, Whitney Houston, Spice Girls, and Eartha Kitt and you have the typical (99.99999%) of gay men's iPods.

I love the gays and they love their divas!

by Anonymousreply 11004/29/2013

This is crazy. "Every" gay man loves these performers? I am 48 and while I respect their talent, I have never listened to any of them. Madonna should not be on that list, because she is a totally different kind of performer.

Madonna was relevant in my day, at least. She was huge in clubs in the '80s. I did like her music. The other women listed are way too soft for my taste. I liked Prince, ZZ Top, Def Leppard, U2, Madonna, AC.DC, Rush, Queen, R.E.M., and things like that.

The ladies listed are talented, but not all gay men like "easy listening" music. I supoose ALL straight men like Merle Haggard, Slim Whitman and Lynyrd Skynryd. Nope. I know gays who love Barbra, I know gays who love Willie Nelson, I know gays who love Slayer, I know gays who love Beverly Sills. I know a few who love all four.

Like another poster said, just because we all like dicks does not mean we have everything/anything else in common. Even when it comes to dicks, we're not all the same. I prefer average-sized peckers, while some people prefer forearm-sized. Variety is the spice of life.

by Anonymousreply 11104/29/2013

R111, Honeychile, no one said EVERY gay man listens to them. Just the ones of us with proper and refined taste, sugar! I am quite confident that most of us DO have proper and refined taste. I would never host or attend a cocktail party where the heavenly sounds of Ms. Barbra Streisand were not sweetly enveloping the enclosure. Take that to the bank, dollface.

Take it to heart, hon, most of us are far more refined than the straighties. So, girlfriend, do yourself a favor and get with the program.

by Anonymousreply 11204/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 11304/29/2013

What is your point, R107? Why is it even an topic that people in their 20's probably like different performers than people in their 50's (like me) and 60's? Isn't that a given?

When I was in my teens & twenties, I listened to the popular music of the day (including Barbra, Diana etc.), not my parents' favorites from before I was born. I don't know why anybody would expect differently today. Or why the young ones like R107 begrudge the concept.

by Anonymousreply 11404/29/2013

I got 99 problems and a bitch ain't one.

by Anonymousreply 11504/29/2013

Any gay man who listens to rock or country is a complete self-loather and a loser. I cannot fathom why anyone with proper taste would listen to such prefabricated poo. Barbra, Liza, Judy and the rest (except for Ms. Ciccone) are like a fine wine. Their music gets better with age. Look at things like The Beatles. They were all the rage in the 1960s (the nadir of bad taste) and are almost completely forgotten nowadays. I know no person under 60 who would listen to the Beatles at all.

The ladies above (sans Ms. Ciccone) recorded music that will survive beyond the next ice age and still be entertaining people of taste, whereas the Beatles have been all but forgotten 50 years later. Who had the last laugh?

by Anonymousreply 11604/29/2013

You must be a troll, R116. The Beatles are not even close to being forgotten. I am 49 and listen to them every day. My nephews and nieces (in their teens and twenties) love The Beatles. Try again!

by Anonymousreply 11704/29/2013

R116 Yes, you have such refined taste. Mentioning "poo" in a thread about music. Class act.

by Anonymousreply 11804/29/2013

R116 So it's true, Datalounge is where aging drag queens run out the clock.

by Anonymousreply 11904/29/2013

R116 I beg to differ. You claim that I am a self-loathing person because I prefer "Stairway to Heaven", "Losing My Religion" and "Hey Jude" to "The Main Event" (Babs), "The Rose" (Bette) and "Hell On Wheels" (Cher)? Bitch, please! I am quite happy with myself and probably border on narcissism (a sad trait, but it, unfortunately, applies). Lol.

I am not a loser either. Actually, I'm quite successful in my career and my life. We are not all "blessed" with the same taste. As others have stated, we respect the talent of the named performers, but they are not everyone's cup of tea. So there!

by Anonymousreply 12004/29/2013

I'm 52 and worship them but also appreciate techno, rock,punk and all the rest.

The best endure forever.Judy is timeless. Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London to name but a few will never be matched by what is out there today.

When the poster who made the statements learns to appreciate music, then he or she will be able to comment. Until then, just remember, the younger generations will know okay and maybe sometimes good music but they will NEVER know GREAT music.

by Anonymousreply 12104/29/2013

I grew up in the '70s/'80s with exposure to most types of music. My parents loved Dean Martin, Barbra Streisand, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, Judy Garland, some classical, some opera, and some country, like Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson. My older brothers (one gay and one straight) loved the rock of the time, like Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Boston, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Queen, Styx. My sisters were both into disco and Top 40.

I am now in my mid-40s and I have an appreciation for all types of music (except rap/hip-hop, I just can't relate to it). My iPod contains the work of Led Zeppelin, Barbra Streisand, Rush, Marty Robbins, Beethoven, Motorhead, Queen, Cher, Village People, Bee Gees, Earth Wind & Fire, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, The Smiths, Donna Summer, Tool, etc.

I dig a wide variety of sounds. I would be bored listening to just "the divas" or just "guitar rock". I'll play "Master of Puppets" by Metallica one minute, and "Enough Is Enough (No More Tears)" by Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer the next. Big whoop!

by Anonymousreply 12204/29/2013

R116 The Beatles???? Fucking forgotten???? Are you fucking daft????? You don't get out of the flat much, do you? The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, and yes, Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland will never be forgotten. Just because you do not listen to it does not mean it is forgotten. I cannot 'imagine' a life not touched by The Beatles. They have been the soundtrack 'in my life' forever, and always will be.

by Anonymousreply 12304/29/2013

How the fuck can you people worship ANYONE? I can't imagine worshipping another human being. I mean, they breathe, eat, shit, piss, fart, puke, fuck, and sleep just like the rest of us.

Barbra shits, Cher shits, Bette shits, Liza shits, Judy shat, Diana shits, and Madonna takes some hella dumps too (she may be doing it as I type this). Worshipping fellow human beings? Puh-lease!

by Anonymousreply 12404/29/2013

R124 LOL. Thanks for the laugh. True, every word you said.

by Anonymousreply 12504/29/2013

r116, you sound pitiful and bitter, dude.

by Anonymousreply 12604/29/2013

Gays, while pretending to be educated, are the most easily coerced. Sad, sad, sad

by Anonymousreply 12704/29/2013

Some people cling to the cliches because back in the day, before there was more choice and more freedom, that's what gay culture was. Now you can much more be who you are, like what you like and integrate to the degree you want to. So it's kind of like blaming people for being products of their generation. For the die hard fans, that is gay culture and part of being gay.

by Anonymousreply 12804/29/2013

R128. No, that is what you wanted gay culture to be. We will forever suffer because of it.

by Anonymousreply 12904/29/2013

R129 I don't care about any of those performers. But I am old enough to know the thing around them was a big part of gay culture back then. I think it's silly but I get the origins. Chill out.

by Anonymousreply 13004/29/2013

[quote]Madonna's fanbase is younger than Janets.

No. I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 13104/29/2013

I love everything, from Barbra and Madonna to System of a Down and Black Sabbath. Great music is great music. No matter the genre.

by Anonymousreply 13204/29/2013

Strut pout put it out that's what you want from women. Come on baby what you takin' me for?

by Anonymousreply 13304/29/2013

I am 44 and I have every Barbra CD, Bette CD, etc. I Love Cher, I love Barbra, I love Bette, I even love Liza, Judy and Madonna.

Don't even ask how much I have spent on tickets/ flights to see some of them in concert.

by Anonymousreply 13404/29/2013

R124 is telling the truth! And not only that, but none of these bitches are paying your bills, so why the fuck would I worship these old cunts (or any celeb for that matter)?

by Anonymousreply 13504/29/2013

"No gay... !" Blah as well as blah blah. All written to provoke by well known raconteur Dude E. Head.

by Anonymousreply 13604/30/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 13704/30/2013

Ithink I JuSt ToOk ToO MUcH FukCIng ACid.

by Anonymousreply 13804/30/2013

The singers listed in the title are all very fine artists. A couple of them (Garland and Streisand) are actually great. No one 'worships' anyone, but I have great admiration for those singers listed. They all had fantastic careers, recorded lots of good music and gave pleasure to millions of people (and continue to do so). So what's the problem, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13904/30/2013

I know a 30 yr old Lesbian who worships Madonna. I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 14004/30/2013

r124,speaking for myself, I DO NOT worship the singers of the past, or present for that matter. I do, however, hold in the highest regard singers who were/are able to produce the best music, ever.

I will admit that I half-heartedly agree with r132. I don't begrudge anyone for thinking hard rock and that type of thing can be great, but stop and think. To say that sort of music compares to the greats is like eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on sliced white bread while driving a car and saying you have just eaten a great meal. Sure, you may like it, enjoy it, but it is not a fine meal. It just satisfied your hunger and you enjoyed it. But, it was most certainly not at a high level of quality. We have forgotten the definition of quality.

by Anonymousreply 14104/30/2013

r124, I don't worship another human being. I do, however, appreciate the best singing voices. I appreciate it when those voices and artists create soul-stirring, uplifting music with their voices.

I don't begrudge anyone their taste in music. But, to say that much of what is out there today and that genres of music such as hard rock and that type of thing compare to the greats of mostly yesteryear is like comparing eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread while driving to a fine meal. Sure, your hunger is satisfied and you enjoyed that sandwich, but is it was most certainly not something of quality, although it might have been tasty.

As a culture, we have forgotten the definition of quality.

by Anonymousreply 14204/30/2013

r142, you sound old as soot. Who talks like that today?

by Anonymousreply 14304/30/2013

What's wrong with admiring and worshipping someone? I have worshipped Barbra since I was 12 years old in 1963. I would take a bullet for her. I love her more than I do most of the members of my own family.

by Anonymousreply 14404/30/2013

Admiring is okay, but no human being should be worshiped.

by Anonymousreply 14504/30/2013

r143 is an ignoramus. Go eat your PB & J sandwich and call it a fine meal.

by Anonymousreply 14604/30/2013

Madonna should definitely not be on that list. Arguably Cher, as well. The others? Probably not. I know a lot of young queens under 30 that love Broadway musicals and listen to Barbra & Liza though. Maybe it's more of a New York thing (which I am proud of), but a lot of our younger queens are quite cultured.

I think queens tend to be more in touch with high art and culture. We attend art gallery exhibits, listen to music that means something, we're well-read and we watch movies that have meaning (not the latest "Aqua-Man" or "Space Zombies" movie). The butcher gays can have their beer-swilling, rock and roll and passing gas in public. I'll take high culture any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 14705/02/2013

Honey chile, any gay man who claims not to like them is either in denial or is lying. For a gay man to hate Babs or Liza is the same as saying he hates cock. It makes no sense, Gurlene! Babs, Liza, Bette and the gals are part of our collective D-N-A. Sorry, but it's true, fellas.

by Anonymousreply 14805/30/2013

Liza and Bette are really performers, entertainers, more than singers. Singing entertainers if you will. Streisand is also an entertainer, but she is first and foremost a singer and vocalist.

My guess is that for every Minelli album or CD sold, 100 or 1000 Streisand are sold not that this is the proof or her vocal artistry- but it is an indication of the difference between the two. Minelli is more like Merman.

People will be listing to Streisand's recordings as long as there is a record of the same. Not so Minelli or Bette.

As for rock and soul and other types of music or all genre from any time- GREAT. Music speaks directly to the heart and soul and to pidgeon hole any of it in terms of age, time, genre or any category is well, stupid.

I will listen to Armstrong recordings on the trumpet for the rest of my life- there would be no jazz without him. I will listen to Garland for the rest of my life, and to Pavarotti, and to Price, and to Aretha, and to Streisand and to Joni, and to Judy Collins, and to the Eagles and to Steely Dan, and even some of Michael Jackson, the great Nat King Cole who sang circles around Sinatra in my opinion... etc.

More power to great music by great artists from any era. The referral the OP makes to some constipated sensibility informed by ageism and homophobia is ludicrous. I give not a rats ass about what people think about the music I love.

by Anonymousreply 14905/30/2013

I am so glad I am old enough to have seen REAL talent , Barbra, Liza, Bette, Cher, Diana, Whitney, Aretha,etc.. in their prime, when showmanship, originality, and flair, mattered. They are like the movie stars of Hollywood's golden age - you would never mistake Hepburn for, Davis, Stanwyck for Crawford.Nor, Barbra for Liza, Diana for Whitney. Now, you have Selena, Demi, Mylie - they all are alike, and mesh into one big mediocre pile of 'who cares'. You can't distinguish one, from the other. No one's look is original, sound, personality. Ok, Mylie has a 'hick' accent. Taylor Swift literally sings off key - and other than a few critics, no one complains. THATS what you young'ins get . We got amazing, you get 'meh'.

by Anonymousreply 15005/30/2013

I'm 34 and I've been in love with Judy since I was 8.

by Anonymousreply 15105/30/2013

R151 Madonna doesn't belong on that list. I went to see her concert last year in Philly and I didn't see a single over 60 person in the entire audience, most of the gay men were in their 30s or 40s. Me and my 2 friends who went with me are in our late 20s.

Madonna's core fanbase has always trended about 20 years younger than she is

I remember reading about her in TEEN magazines in the mid 90s and BOP even had an Evita contest that I entered when I was 10 in 1997, that was when I was becoming a Madonna fan.

by Anonymousreply 15205/30/2013

I see old people...

by Anonymousreply 15305/30/2013

So what? Even if it could be scientifically proven that OP's these is true, so what?

by Anonymousreply 15406/03/2013

[quote]No one under 40 likes any of those people. I'm in my 20s, and have tons of friends. They wouldn't be caught dead seeing any of those hoes. The younger bunch don't even know who the majority of them are. Madonna is known as that woman who kissed Britney Spears.

You live in a world where Kim Kardashian is a star. We weep for you.

by Anonymousreply 15506/03/2013

Worshiping female entertainers is way out of style, uncool.

by Anonymousreply 15606/03/2013

Any gay man who says he dislikes Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Madonna, Diana & Bette is probably in the closet and trying to look butch to impress a bunch of straight men who call him FAGGOT BEHIND HIS BACK. I am not an elder either. I am 21 but I love my divas and my heritage as a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 15710/14/2013

NO SANE GAY MAN OF ANY AGE WORSHIPS ANY FEMALE, let alone any those old dollies listed.

by Anonymousreply 15810/14/2013

[quote]I am 21 but I love my divas and my heritage as a gay man.

God, you're dull.

by Anonymousreply 15910/14/2013

I celebrate my heritage as a gay man by listening to Judas Priest & Queen, R-157. Please. We're not all disco dollies and caterwauling lounge lizard fans.

by Anonymousreply 16010/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 16111/21/2013

I am 35 and I have been in love with Judy Garland since I was 10. She was probably my first big crush, though I didn't know what that was.

by Anonymousreply 16211/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 16307/28/2014

I worship myshelf.

by Anonymousreply 16407/28/2014

Uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 16507/28/2014

Some people have a lot vested in getting other people to like (or dislike) the same entertainers that they like (or dislike). It must be exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 16607/28/2014

I'm 32, Gay and I love Cher's music, after seeing 'Liza with a Z' I think that Liza had an amazing talent that was probably greater than her mother's, who I also love.

I also love Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwick, , Adore young Elizabeth Taylor and have a great number of films shot in Black and White that I consider some of the best of all times.

That said, I also listen to Nirvana, STP, Three Dog Night, Guns & Roses, Def Leopard, Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Grand Funk, CCR, Eagles, Charlie Daniels and other older bands and performers on a regular basis. I pretty much know all the current popular songs as well.

It's not being old, It's being well rounded.

by Anonymousreply 16707/28/2014

I'm under 40 and love Barbra. I was under 30 when I went to my first streisand concert

by Anonymousreply 16807/28/2014

I'm 25 and saw Barbra in concert when I was 17 in 2006. Then I traveled to Brooklyn to see her in concert in 2012. I have seen Cher in concert twice as well.

Bette Midler is next on my list.

by Anonymousreply 16907/28/2014

[quote] Saw Barbra in concert when I was 17 in 2006.

Where u out to your parents then? If not they would have guessed.

by Anonymousreply 17007/28/2014

Nine pages and no one mentioned me yet? I was actually gay, you know.

by Anonymousreply 17107/28/2014

Most "kids" 25-30 know Madonna from her "Music" phase and the remake of the Abba song. I doubt any of them can name a song from the other divas aside from "Believe'" by Cher.

by Anonymousreply 17207/28/2014

Ignorant thread. Who cares how old anyone is? Let the younger ones like who they like. They will get old and die, too. Everyone has a moment in the sun. If you don't like the divas, fine. What an ageist, irrelevant, pointless thread.

by Anonymousreply 17307/28/2014

like who like. who cares?

by Anonymousreply 17407/28/2014

[quote] Liza had an amazing talent that was probably greater than her mother's, who I also love.

I can only conclude that you like blue.

by Anonymousreply 17507/28/2014

Who's your queen of pop this week, cunt OP? It's just not happening for you, is it?

by Anonymousreply 17607/28/2014

true op

by Anonymousreply 17701/27/2015

[quote] Who's your queen of pop this week,

'TINA TURNER' gets a pass. She did rock in her day. She would get a pass solely for her version of "Proud Mary", which kicked ass. Also "Nutbush City Limits" (always loved that filthy title). She's goes on the cool list.

by Anonymousreply 17801/27/2015

Every generation of gay men have their idols:

Men 70 and older: Judy Garland

Men 60 and older worship: Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, Cher, Diana Ross

Men 50 and older worship: Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Cher & Tina Turner

Men 40 and Over worship: Madonna, Cher & Janet Jackson

Men 30 and Over: Madonna & Britney Spears.

Men 20 and Over worship: Lady Gaga & Katy Perry.

We all have our favorites we worship. We need to respect one another.

by Anonymousreply 17901/27/2015

R177, why dredge up this stupid thread from 2 years ago again?

by Anonymousreply 18001/27/2015

I'm looking forward to ignoring these threads.

by Anonymousreply 18101/27/2015

r179, your stereotypical tired view of men is offensive and erroneous. You need to get out more, dude.

by Anonymousreply 18201/27/2015

Not true. I just worked with a fellow gay on a project and he is 40 years old and just bought an oil painting of Cher and hung it in his living room. I thought he was crazy. He didn't seem the type and yet. . .

by Anonymousreply 18301/27/2015

R182 it's not "stereotypical". It's called a generalized common sense estimate. What the fuck is your problem, DUDE? Try taking your own advice and quit nit picking at the expense of others simply expressing their opinion.

by Anonymousreply 18401/27/2015

by Anonymousreply 18505/15/2015

Lies! I'm still pissed Princess Charlotte only has Diana as a third name. I wanted to see William be brave.

by Anonymousreply 18605/15/2015

Speaking of, has anyone heard an update on "Hocus Pocus 2"?

by Anonymousreply 18705/15/2015

I'm 55 and I adore Cher, Barbra, Liza, Judy, Diana, and Bette.

Madonna, not so much

by Anonymousreply 18805/15/2015

R179, I'm fine with your list. I'm in my late 40s and I adore Judy, Liza, Cher, and Tina. (I can do without the rest of them.)

by Anonymousreply 18905/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!