Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Faye Dunaway

Has there ever been anyone with as much, well, pure class as this remarkably sane and intelligent woman?

by Christina Crawfordreply 4903/10/2013

OP = Faye Dunaway

by Christina Crawfordreply 102/19/2013

Sorry, OP. I only just got your sarcasm.

by Christina Crawfordreply 202/19/2013

It looks like OP already found the liquor store at the corner.

by Christina Crawfordreply 302/19/2013

I always liked her, and it's sad that she regrets her performance in Mommie Dearest, since it was a brilliant one. I know she's said it killed her career, so I get why she'd have regrets. Hindsight, of course, is 20/20.

by Christina Crawfordreply 402/19/2013

A true delight for the mind and eye!

by Christina Crawfordreply 502/19/2013

Faye really needs to embrace her inner Mommie and come to terms with it. She was brilliant. I saw her earlier today in "the champ" love her.

Btw, anyone else see" travels with my aunt " with Maggie smith earlier? Great stuff.

by Christina Crawfordreply 602/19/2013

Damn it! Perino's is my place.

by Christina Crawfordreply 702/19/2013

She's something like my third great cousin. No joke.

by Christina Crawfordreply 802/19/2013

"It's sad that she regrets her performance in Mommie Dearest, since it was a brilliant one."

PLEASE tell us you're joking. It is one of the worst performances in cinema history.

by Christina Crawfordreply 902/19/2013

I like Dunaway.

But there are multitudes of people with more class, intelligence, and, above all, sanity.

by Christina Crawfordreply 1002/19/2013

Please tell us you are joking r9.

She was brilliant.

by Christina Crawfordreply 1102/19/2013

Not joking. "Don't. FUCK. With me. Fellas!" "No. Wire. Hangers. EVER!" "I'm not mad at you, Helga - I'm mad at the dirt."

She depicted a bipolar personality very well, IMO - being sweet as honey on the one hand, and next being a she-devil. Can't see Angelina Jolie doing that. Or Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Christina Crawfordreply 1202/19/2013

Who is the Terry O'Neil she is slamming?

by Christina Crawfordreply 1302/19/2013

One thing I never understood about Dunaway is how she never seems to remember how great she was in that film she did with Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp.

by Christina Crawfordreply 1402/19/2013

She's incredibly neurotic but at least she's honest.

by Christina Crawfordreply 1502/19/2013

Here's a FASCINATING interview from the 80s that Faye does reclining on a bed. Then she gets on her front and conducts the interview like that. This is all terribly compelling to me. Jesus, I almost want to light up a cigarette as she talks like this:

by Christina Crawfordreply 1602/19/2013

Beautiful eyes.

by Christina Crawfordreply 1702/19/2013

she was brilliant on "The Starlet"

by Christina Crawfordreply 1802/19/2013

She is a gifted actress, but she is clealy nuts. I don't know exactly what is wrong with her however- boarderline personality disorder?

by Christina Crawfordreply 1902/19/2013

she was brilliant in that sitcom with Robert Urich.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2002/19/2013

I have mixed reactions to "Little Big Man" but not about Dunaway's cameo. She was flat out hilarious as the slutty preacher's wife.

She harps on about her role in "Don Juan Demarco" but, man, was she ever bland in that. I've seen actresses in a Folger's commercial be more compelling then was in DJD.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2102/19/2013

Elia Kazan on Faye Dunaway - an INCREDIBLE article, to her glory:

by Christina Crawfordreply 2202/19/2013

Let's face it okay - she is the closest America got to producing somebody on Glenda Jackson's level. We're talking powerhouse actresses here.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2302/19/2013

r16, that interview shows her to be quite an intensely unbalanced woman. She would be a royal pain the ass to be around.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2402/19/2013

RE 13 - it's her ex- husband. He was a 'photographer'. Also had his name on "Mommie" credits as 'Associate Producer' . Father of her child. She divorced him, and later said he was a con man, re their marriage, since she supported them. Don't think she has anything nice to say about any of her exes. I too think she's either Borderline, or Bi Polar.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2502/19/2013

and yet if this were a man r24, a Jack or a Day Lewis, you'd be saying "Oh god, he's so rebellious, he's so true to himself!" Hypocrite.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2602/19/2013

R6 Yes I did. Also The Boyfriend before that.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2702/19/2013

I used to see her in the downstairs bar at the Ritz in Boston, wasted off of her ass. This was back when she was married to rocker and heroin addict, Peter Wolf.

Snappy dresser though, she always looked sharp.

by Christina Crawfordreply 2802/19/2013

The best Faye Dunaway Moment story I've ever heard was posted here on the DL over ten years ago by a hilarious queen who worked in the kitchen of a high-end hotel in San Francisco.

Faye called in the morning to inquire about the dinner room service menu, asking "What is the fish of the day?". Our heroic poster went to great lengths to find the answer as Faye grew increasingly combative. The final answer was that the fish hadn't been caught yet, a fact that Miss Dunaway couldn't handle, so she tried to get him fired.

It was a DataLounge classic. My bf of the day and I used to call each other randomly at work and demand: "WHAT IS THE FISH OF THE DAY?!". Same bf and I were on a long road trip when a (clearly gay) DJ played OP's recording on the radio. Stoned and swerving all over the highway at 90mph across Nevada we chanted "I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS LLOYD-WEBBER STUPIDITY!".

by Christina Crawfordreply 2902/19/2013

I love Faye's cuntiness. It's part of her appeal.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3002/19/2013

Faye is one talented bitch, and we love her for it.

As a previous poster noted, she's easily in the same league as artistic greats like Vanessa Redgrave and Glenda Jackson.

I truly believe that she will be one of the few of her peers who will be remembered (and celebrated) decades from now.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3102/19/2013

She was an over acting joke in Mommie Dearest. Why she took the role in the first place I'll never understand.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3202/19/2013

What I love about her performance in Mommie Dearest is that it's so polarizing. Either you think she was brilliant and postmodern, or you think that she played it way-over-the-top.

To me, such debate is the sign of a great performance.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3302/19/2013

She made history with that role, she was over-the-top. it would have flopped otherwise, this movie lives on, and on, and on.

Drama 101

by Christina Crawfordreply 3402/19/2013

Believe or not, she actually got some good reviews when [italic]Mommie Dearest[/italic] first came out. (I specifically remember [italic]People[/italic] describing it as "bravura.")

by Christina Crawfordreply 3502/19/2013

Faye finished second in the votes for both the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress of the Year.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3602/19/2013

Over the top is what Faye specialized in.

She is a great actor though.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3702/19/2013

The scene in Mommie where she has the kids and Carol-Ann all together waiting for the Oscar reveal is absolutely adorable - then the car honks outside and the jubilation - "Oh Joan listen to them - they're so happy for you!" There is genuine love in that scene, when they all stride hand in hand gailey to the door. I thought Faye played it just exquisitely.

by Christina Crawfordreply 3802/19/2013

There was another Faye Dunaway thread which was very good. Did it get deleted?

by Christina Crawfordreply 3902/21/2013

"boarderline personality"

Is that when you lose your mind in a boarding house?

by Christina Crawfordreply 4002/21/2013

R29, i hope you get to see my reply because I'm laughing and crying! Thanks for your hilarious & heart-warming anecdotes; I'm so glad you and your BF were able to share those kinds of memories!

by Christina Crawfordreply 4102/21/2013

"Remarkably sane" isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind with Faye.

by Christina Crawfordreply 4202/21/2013

I would be annoyed too if I were an academy award winning actress who starred in some of the most iconic films of the sixties and seventies, and yet all people wanted to talk about was one movie which isn't very good to begin with.

Dunaway discussed it in her autobiography. She discussed it with humor on Actors Studio. She doesn't need to bring it up in every interview. And really, while it's campy and often hysterical, it still is a very ineptly written and poorly directed piece of work.

Personally, while I think she's kooky, I also think she would be a blast to knock a few drinks back with if you were able to get friendly with her. There's something about her that's very old time movie starish, which you don't see much of anymore. She the last of a dying breed. It's a shame Hollywood takes her for granted.

LOVE the interview at R16. I can't imagine any of the current actresses of today being able to pull of such sexiness and sophistication with such ease. Like it's nothing. They all try so hard and Dunaway just does it so naturally.

by Christina Crawfordreply 4302/21/2013

OP, regarding your link to Faye's rambling telephone message of 0614 or so (she probably lay awake all night chain-smoking waiting to make the call at dawn), youtube says it was posted recently, but when was the call actually placed and to whom?

I disagree with those of you giving the Raspberry Awards to FD and "Mommie Dearest" and the film was obviously not intended to be an Oscar-worthy biopic of JC.

As is typical, the book was better and contained many details that film did not, but FD's portrayal of JC was close to reality.

by Christina Crawfordreply 4402/21/2013

A great actress, the last true Movie Star Face. (not because she mimicked Crawford)

Compelling to watch and with every emotional gear as an actress, back when. Intrigue, subtlety, vulnerability with modern rage and regret.

A great beauty. Mysterious as any silent film Star.

Anachronistic in talent and unfortunately in her attitude too. She made quite a mess of it all.

by Christina Crawfordreply 4502/21/2013

Jacqueline Bisset and Julie Christie are also movie stars r45. That generation of Faye's was the last to *have it*.

by Christina Crawfordreply 4602/22/2013

She needs to play JC/herself and say things like "WHAT IS THE FISH OF THE DAY" in some TV show.

She could be a Wilhelmina Slater type character!

by Christina Crawfordreply 4703/10/2013

I knew one of her personal assistants years ago. When he quit, she threw a plate at his head (she missed). Months later she would phone him, just to chat.

by Christina Crawfordreply 4803/10/2013

by Christina Crawfordreply 4903/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!