Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Dan Stevens the new Shelly Long?

Will he follow her career trajectory?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 4002/20/2013

You mean is Dan Stevens the new McLean Stevenson?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 102/19/2013

Dan Stevens is the new David Caruso.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 202/19/2013

Dan Stevens is not Shelley Long because we're likely to never hear from him again. Most boring (and apparently bored) actor ever. That Matthew Crawley type is the only thing he's ever played. What else is he going to do?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 302/19/2013

I think leaving Downton Abbey (a show other actors would kill to be in) will be career suicide for him - nobody will want to cast him in another series in case he decides to walk after a season or two, but he is a costume drama actor. Ok he did The Line of Beauty 5 or so years ago, but has lost his looks lately. Even The Heiress play is another costume drama. I can't see him being another Tom Hardy - a Tom Hollander maybe.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 402/19/2013

Why would anyone cast him in a different series? He's a known quitter.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 502/19/2013

Maybe he could be cast in drag.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 602/19/2013

The reason he left Downton is because he ultimately wants to concentrate on his writing career and not his acting career. I'm sure he couldn't care less if he's the next Shelley Long.

He has said, "As long as I can write in some form, I’ll be happy."

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 702/19/2013

He's already made a feature film with Amy Herckerling (rom/com, he plays a vampire), that's soon to be released. Heckerling saw him in "The Line of Beauty" and then in a play that he did with Judi Dench; she cast him before he began work on Downton.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 802/19/2013

He also cut his chops on the London stage. Should he want to act, and Hollywood isn't interested, I'm sure he would be more than happy doing his thing in the West End.

Dumb comparison.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 902/19/2013

OP are you suggesting he will make a movie with Bette Midler?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1002/19/2013

What about the actress who played Sybil? She left on her own too.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1102/19/2013

Are you talking about VAMPS, R8?

Because that was released last November. Where it made a spectacular $3,361.00 at the box office.

I couldn't make this up if I tried.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1202/19/2013

Just looked at his IMDB and he's going to be in some film with Liam Neeson. Not bad - I mean, the movie will probably be bad because Neeson stars in shit these days, but still, they tend to do well at the box office.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1302/19/2013

He signed a three year contract and fulfilled it. How's that make him a quitter?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1402/19/2013

I can see why a sell-respecting actor would want to get out of Downton Abbey before it drowns in its own preposterousness. For heaven's sake the plot ended at the end of the first season, and the writers are just stringing it out for the money now. Apparently in the next episode it turns out Lady Sybil's death in childbirth was just the under-footman having a bad dream ....

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1502/19/2013

Sorry, Eddie Murphy, but with all the makeup, wigs and female clothes in the world, Dan Stevens may become the Shelley Long, but he can never become as beautiful as this Murphy!

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1602/19/2013

Yeah if you actually listen to what Dan Stevens said he didn't leave Downton because he thought he could "do better", he left simply because he wanted to move on. He freely admits that might be the most high profile gig he does. Even if you disagree with his decision at least get it right.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1702/19/2013

He could've at least bottomed for Thomas once before he kicked the bucket.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1802/19/2013

Doughy and pasty (and so disappointing in a Speedo in Line of Beauty), he lacks charisma. Let him go.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 1902/19/2013

Sybil is beautiful and has charisma. She has a shot at something bigger. Stevens on the other hand does not. He will indeed join the list headed by David Caruso and McLean Stevens as actors that overestimated their worth.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2002/19/2013

More importantly, will he keep up the bottle blonde look?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2102/19/2013

Stevens was underwhelming in THE HEIRESS - rather dull, in fact, and looking pudgy in a Matthew Broderick way. Some people may have liked him in the play because he looked better than Jessica Chastain, who was so dreadful in the lead.

He was also less-than-fascinating in THE LINE OF BEAUTY - just adequate. Though the mini-series itself was a shadow of the novel.

If he does plan to focus more on writing than acting, let's hope he's a better wordsmith than performer.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2202/19/2013

Who's Dan Stevens and who's Shelly Long?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2302/19/2013

[R. 21] How do you know he's a bleached blond?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2402/19/2013

M'lady, Matthew will now have weekends off.

Dowager: "What's a weekend?"

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2502/19/2013

R21, Matthew is male. Blond is correct, blonde is just ignorant.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2602/19/2013

[quote]nobody will want to cast him in another series

Yes, because they're too busy casting him in movies - check out his IMDB page. Plus, he's ALREADY been cast in another series, a prequel to Pride and Prejudice.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2702/19/2013

Even if he gets tightening under the chin and jaw area, he still has a big chin and it ruins him.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2802/19/2013

He's the next Marlon Brando.

In terms of weight gain.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 2902/19/2013

He was in the year below me at school and played the lead role in most of the plays, he is more of an intellectual type though than purely an actor and was mentioned earlier could well turn to writing!

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3002/19/2013

Why did they let him get so fat?

And Thomas the footman has ballooned too.

Branson is on the verge of getting tubby.

Diets, boys! Diuretics!

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3102/19/2013

While many of us have been critical about Dan Stevens leaving Downton Abbey--and for good reason--since many an actor has tried his tactic and disappeared from the scene.

However, there's a good chance that Stevens and his management team have plotted out the next couple of year of his career so that he's not leaving Downton Abbey and entering into an abyss. He may know what he's doing at least for the not-too-distant future.

He probably won't be the next Hugh Jackman or even Hugh Grant, but he may work fairly steadily--and that may be his the star of a project, supporting role or member of the ensemble as he is on Downton.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3202/19/2013

"He also cut his chops on the London stage"

Well, at least he always has butchering chops to fall back on.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3302/19/2013

David Caruso ended up doing just fine.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3402/19/2013

R34. Yes, David Caruso eventually did fine, but at the time, his decision to leave his show after about a year or two was pretty much regarded as very unwise and disastrous for his career. And for a while those sentiments proved true. Caruso was gone from sight.

However, people like McLean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers of MASH never recovered and just about left the business due to lack of work. Shelly Long fared a bit better, but her star fell significantly, which is fine if that is an actor's intent--but that'sn rarely why an actor leaves a hit show. They leave to capitalize on their appeal and fame. Sometimes it works; sometimes not so much.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3502/19/2013

Anyone ever see Dan Stevens' feet?

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3602/19/2013

This is like when Farrah left. Maybe Shelley Hack is avaialble.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3702/19/2013

[quote]I can see why a sell-respecting actor would want to get out of Downton Abbey before it drowns in its own preposterousness.

Considering his character hobbled home from the war at the exact moment his love was hosting a home party for wounded veterans, and considering he was a paraplegic whose spine magically healed itself, I'd say the Abbey sank under preposterousness a while back.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3802/20/2013

[quote] Some people may have liked him in the play because he looked better than Jessica Chastain, who was so dreadful in the lead.

I liked her. His character is dashing;hers is a frump. He's supposed to look better.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 3902/20/2013

R39, by "looked" I meant his performance compared to hers, not their comparative physical appearances.

by Sherry Stringfieldreply 4002/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!