Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rachel Maddow's documentary on the Iraq war

9:00PM ET.

by Anonymousreply 6802/19/2013

Thank you!

I can't wait to see how the press handles this as they were a part of the problem with the hoax. I read that this documentary was part of Rachel's negotiation in her new contract, she's flexing her editorial muscles.

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Read about it here.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

I can't wait. Rachel is so brilliant. Her snarkiness is a little much sometimes but she makes up for it with intelligence and insight.

I'm sure she won't be the least bit bias....right? Yeah...

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

Where did you read that?!

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld should be tried for crimes. Worst President and Vice President we have ever had.

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

Hope it's as good as Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

r4 meant to quote/ask r1

r3. There'll be no snarkiness in this documentary. It's moving along rather quickly- almost dryly so far.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

Group of sheep following another corporate shill.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

So far they're just outlining the the W Admin's motives for getting Saddam out. No pseudo psychology here.

I'm getting chills listening to some of these speeches. GOD I remember the feelings of nausea at the time - just knowing where this was all headed. The war Hawk cries were happening so early on.

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

everyone knew it was wrong and bullshit

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

The audio and video for this MSNBC program is terribly fucked up on my cable (U-Verse).

Is anyone else experiencing this?

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

This is moving rather fast but it's very interesting especially as a summary of all the information that has come out SINCE then and the fact that people feel freer to talk about it now.

The point quickly made about how Torture of a suspect illicited false and VERY shaky information but the Admin and the Public chooses to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

The photo-shopped title image seems a bit heavy-handed.

Good god I hate Cheney. He's such and evil bastard.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

The crazy thing is Mittens had these same guys as his foreign affairs advisors and nobody (but Rachel) say boo about it.

They just keep letting these people go on the talk shows as if they shouldn't be in jail. Fox even hired Condie.

The Dems are such wimps, if it had been the other way around there would have been trials/impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

Fuck off freeper r14

State an argument based in an actual fact. I dare you, you weak piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

Me too r11. The entire video is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

R14 = Uday Cheney (aka Cunt Liz)

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

Yet you're saying nothing. Troll freeper. NOTHING you can say can defend your old War Criminal president.

You refute nothing and just froth at the mouth. Fuckers like you are part of the reason W was allows to send thousands to die in a false war.

You refute no facts about it. You have no arguments,

Go back to your basement bedroom, Your mother is calling for you .

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

They have a Republican senator basically admitting he didn't READ the CIA reports in full and didn't vote "his conscience".

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

Stop talking to it, R20. He's a loser. Freepers are by definition losers. Scum of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

Anybody else have problems viewing this?

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

Watching Bush again is giving me a knot in my stomach

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2013

Are they going to try and get this to a wider audience? They should sell it to HBO.

The networks wont air it. If it's only on MSNBC it's preaching to the choir.

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

And this is the reason Hagel's nomination is being held up. He was right about Iraq and he called out his own party for it.

A bunch of neo con vermin who want more war and hate that they got called out by a Republican. They have the nerve to mention Benghazi when they supported the greatest lie in the history of this country costing 4500 soldiers and hundreds of thousands of people their lives.

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

It's actually based on a book r25. I suppose some people will read it.

It's amazing to see people confess the actual truth - especially about the tortured witness who basically just fessed up what his interrogators wanted to hear.

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013

Isikoff just quoted what I've been saying over and over and over again: The media never did its job in the lead up to war.

I'll add: They chose to go shopping for desert wear instead.

by Anonymousreply 2802/18/2013

It was a rushed litany of damning interviews and real facts It's unfortunate they had to squeeze the whole damned thing into AN HOUR.

This needs to be a 2 hour documentary.

by Anonymousreply 2902/18/2013

Agreed, r29

by Anonymousreply 3002/18/2013

I wonder why they chose to smash it into a Monday night segment instead of a Sunday special?

There's something odd about that decision.

by Anonymousreply 3102/18/2013

Agree also, r29 but I also want the last hour to concentrate on all those MSM anchors and reporters who did not pursue the truth and gave the Bush Administration a pass.

by Anonymousreply 3202/18/2013

Agreed, R29.

I missed a bit of it. Did they play the quote by Bush about him not caring about OBL? If not, they needed to. They need to remind every shithead Republican who deigns to say that Obama "took too much credit for OBL" that their rat-faced neo con leaders didn't give a shit about capturing OBL. His only purpose was as a conduit to get the Iraq war. A name to rile up the masses who were led to believe he was connected to Saddam.

False connections between the two solely to get the war, not to get OBL.

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

There's a lot they didn't get into.

They had one brief clip of Senator Byrd protesting the move to go to war and his excellent speech that should be written in all the history books- but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

A few years ago, I saw the selling of the Iraq War on PBS. It was Bill Moyer's take. Much, much more thorough than Hubris tonight. He talked extensively about the MSM and their role in selling the war. He even pointed out that the Bush WH went on Oprah and the Daytime Queen herself sold the war to the American people. On Oprah, there was an audience member who stated that she was skeptical and Oprah shut her down.

You guys need to find the Moyer doc.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

R34 is correct.

The man no doubt made huge mistakes in the past, but died a well-respected public servant who loved this country.

RIP, Robert Byrd

Please watch it:

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

Oddly enough, Pat Buchanan was one of the few well-known opponents of the war.

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

Good tip r35.

I know there's more out there but I'm not sure where to look.

by Anonymousreply 3802/18/2013

This is based on a six-year-old book.

Hubris came out in 2007.

Why are they doing this now?

by Anonymousreply 3902/18/2013

Because paleocons hate neocons.

by Anonymousreply 4002/18/2013

I don't think this was meant to be a [italic]Definitive[/italic] documentary on the topic, nor tell us anything we didn't already know.

It is more of an update with interviews confirming facts and details from the people who were there and actually involved in the process. It is shocking to see that Republican Senate member admit he knew it was a lie and voted against his conscience then apologize and "pray to God" - whatever the fuck good that does— to forgive him for all the people he helped lead to their deaths.

He looked visibly shaken about it too.

by Anonymousreply 4102/18/2013

The Neo Cons were battling Obama, getting Condi out there to talk about our "dangerous world" and talk about making sure we have the "right person". Hah. I hate her almost as much as Cheney & Rumsfeld. That entire crew who gave us the Iraq war wanted to ride ROmney back into power so they could gin up the "evidence" to invade Iran. Lebanon too. Israel was our lead on that. Netanyahu was in on it. They hate Hagel but they really hate Obama. They really do.

by Anonymousreply 4202/18/2013

R42 reminds me that Ariel Sharon was trying to push the lie that Saddam moved the weapons to Syria, and Joe Lieberman tried to push that lie, too. Along with the Iran bullshit

If you know anything about either Iraq/Saddam and Syria/Assad, you'd know why the very idea is so preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 4302/18/2013

It doesn't look like this is making the kind of hoopla Rachel indicated it would. I don't think many people knew it was happening.

Nobody is talking about it as far as news, blogs , the twitterverse. I was really hoping this would get more traction. Maybe there will be more tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 4402/19/2013

r44 Americans -- well, people -- in general have short memories. They don't care about the Iraq War anymore. Out of sight, out of mind. Just like so many people are over 9-11.

I saw it and to be honest I didn't hear anything new. Nothing really revelatory that I haven't already seen from Rachel herself or from PBS documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

now there's a word that describes Maddow to a T!

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2013

r46 does not watch Rachel. Stupid comment from a freeper.

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

yeah yeah yeah, troll

try harder

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

Great show, Rachel. I hope historianss remember that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney are liars. They spend a fortune of the country's treasuy and were responsible for the deaths of more than 4,000 soldiers. Bush and Cheney started a war that was decided upon lies, dishonesty and deception from the start.

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2013

I love how the Freeper's first response is to comment on a some part of a Maddow's anatomy and they really have NOTHING to repsond with. It's Pathetic.

In any event "lapping up a pussy" is a lot better than the collective Freeper Hive Mind sucking any and all bullshit that comes out of Cheney's Lying asshole. They stoop down with their blindfolds on, but knowingly and with stubborn ignorant pride: on their knees begging to get fucked over one again and again.

This documentary is just another demonstration of all the evidence that was out there and their own party admits they ignored. This show has interviews with people who admitted ignoring, evading, and lying to push forward with a war that would culminate in the death of over 4000 of our troops and BILLIONS of dollars. A war that help to lead us into economic collapse.

Freepers here -with their fat sausage child finger plugged in their ears and the shit-stained blindfold still sagging around their necks - all they have to say to any of it is "Ha ! Maddow's Pussy!!"

They can't cite one fact to defend about it. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2013

The right wing echo chamber has brainwashed a good portion of our public into immediately discounting anything shown on the likes of MSNBC so I agree with those that say this show is only preaching to the choir.

by Anonymousreply 5402/19/2013

Regressives are so predictable. Someone comes along with cold, hard facts that undermine their fetish for all things Bush, and the first reaction is for them to call names like they are on a grade school playground. Of course they dont realize that by doing so they are only calling attention to how weak and deluded they really are.

by Anonymousreply 5502/19/2013

Exactly, the attacks against Maddow are always personal ad hominem attacks. Even if everything you wanted to say about her is true, what does that have to do with what she is actually saying? You know, the actual facts and her analysis of them? Thats the thing that actually matters...

by Anonymousreply 5602/19/2013

[quote]Why are they doing this now?

Because we're just past the ten-year anniversary of Bush's sixteen-word lie about Iraqi attempts to buy uranium in the 2003 State of the Union, and about a month from the ten-year anniversary of the start of the war.

It was aired last night because her show, which centers around politics, didn't have much else to report on because of a federal holiday.

by Anonymousreply 5802/19/2013

I stopped watching after about 10 minutes because I was hearing nothing new and it just made me mad all over again.

R26, Robert McNamera resigned from the Johnsom administration after a trip to Vietnam because he told the President the war could not be won, it was colonial war, a war of independence basically, not communinist domination and that the US should pull out. And the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a fake.

So this was not the biggest or first lie. Many many more live were lost among Americans and Vietnamese (millions.)

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2013

All in the name of money.

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2013

Bring back the draft I tell ye, with no exceptions for those who pull strings or have connections.

by Anonymousreply 6102/19/2013

What r59 and r61 said.

Osama Bin Laden won the war on terror. Our refusal to stop the madness of the invasion of Iraq is proof of that.

by Anonymousreply 6202/19/2013

So, regressive is the new buzz word.

by Anonymousreply 6302/19/2013

Remember this?

Green Day - Warning vs. Dick Cheney vs. George Bush vs. Department of Homeland Security vs. Tom Ridge vs. Michael Chertoff vs. Alberto Gonzales vs. War on Terror vs. Iraq occupation

by Anonymousreply 6402/19/2013

My favorite is when someone I know voted for Bush has the nerve to complain about Obama's "spending". They have no shame that the guy they voted for spent trillions on unnecessary wars which also resulted in thousands maimed and killed. It's okay to have policy disagreements with Obama, but have some shame about supporting the previous guy.

by Anonymousreply 6502/19/2013

And a tax cut for the wealthiest during those trillion dollar wars, R65.

It wasn't enough that piece of shit spent over a trillion $ and killing hundreds of thousands of people, but gave a tax cut to his friends and told the rest of us to buy duct tape.

Fuck the GOP. Fuck every moron who isn't embarrassed to even admit they voted for that neo con shithead.

by Anonymousreply 6602/19/2013

My friend and I made this pact years ago. When the time comes, we will take a shit on Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Tennant and Wolfowitz's graves. We would include Bush, but chances are he will be buried in some high security place.

by Anonymousreply 6702/19/2013

[quote] It wasn't enough that piece of shit spent over a trillion $ and killing hundreds of thousands of people, but gave a tax cut to his friends and told the rest of us to buy duct tape.

Well Obama wants everyone to have access to quality healthcare. He's just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 6802/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!