Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Surge Protectors

Do you use them?

If so, what do have plugged into a surge protector?

Just about anything I don't want to have to pay to repair or replace is plugged into one at my house. I think they've helped over the years.

All electronics, the refrigerator, my washer, and anything else with a computer chip.

Most recently I bought a new HVAC system ($$$$) and I had my installers plug it into one and then into my house's wiring.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

I have a whole house surge protector installed in my electrical panel and use individual surge protectors for most gadgets.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

Yes. Office supply stores used to have freebate offers on surge protectors, so I've bought several of them and installed them around the house. I should probably install a better one for my computer, but I never seem to get around to researching what to buy.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

r2 --

A few questions about your whole house surge protector, OK?

Did you put it on yourself or use an electrician? Where did you get it?

If you have a whole house surge protector installed, why do you need smaller ones at individual gadgets?

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

I rent my apartment, so I don't need to worry about protecting the fridge or stove from surges. Is that even an issue, aside from super-fancy models?

But my tv, computer, printer, etc. are all on a surge protector.

As is my bedroom alarm clock. Not because I'm particularly worried about it, but I figured I may as well use the surge protector instead of throwing it in the closet. ;)

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

I bumped up from a computer/TV surge protector to one that has a 20-minute battery backup.

When the juice has gone out, the battery has given me time to save whatever I'm working on and power down. And if it's just a power flicker of a few seconds, I don't even notice it.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

I have one of those as well, r7. Entirely worth the $$.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

Anyone whose house might be struck by lighting, high ground, in the country, should have everything protected.

Happened to a family member and they lost thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Worst was losing their well -- blew out the pump. Had to dig a new one for big bucks. No tap water for weeks.

Homeowners' insurance finally paid, but it was a bitch fighting with them. (What else is new.)

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2013

Remember to replace them if you see the indicator light or power light flickering. Surge protectors burn out if struck by a large enough surge.

by Anonymousreply 1002/19/2013

R10 -- How do you know for sure it is the surge protector that's failing if the indicator light flickers?

Is it possible just the indicator lamp itself is failing?

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2013

Free electricity, R12!

Here, use this outlet and these dinner knives … all the electricity you can dig out of there is YOURS to keep!

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2013

I use one for my "back massager."

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2013

R5, I don't do anything with electrical so I had an electrician provide and install it. I used an Angie's List deal and saved about 40% (after calling around to check prices).

Regarding why it's still good to use smaller surge protectors, I'd recommending just standard googling on the subject. I did some research at the time, did what made sense, but again I don't deal with electrical so it's not data that remains top of mind for me. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2013

R11, a flickering power light is very unlikely to be caused by a faulty LED, it almost always indicates a burnt-out surge protector. Better to be safe and buy a replacement (preferably one with an actual indicator LED that shows the status).

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2013

R15, the reason you still need power strip protectors if you use a whole-house surge protector is that the whole-house unit clamps voltages at a higher level to better contain large spikes that come over the main power line from outside your house. Unfortunately, that means that it lets through smaller surges.

Also, many things inside your house regularly cause smaller surges (refrigerators, HVAC units, any electric motors, etc.) that can damage your electronic equipment over time. Those aren't blocked by a whole-house unit.

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2013

I don't even know what one is.

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2013

Wow, very informative, R17, thank you very much!

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013

I read that they're bullshit and the only reason the manufacturer's offer the $1 million "insurance" is because they know how incredibly rare it is for a home to be struck by lightning.

by Anonymousreply 2002/19/2013

If you've ever had lightning strike the transformer pole outside your house, causing everything electrical in your house to be fried, you wouldn't think it was extremely rare.

There are hundreds of thousands of lightning strikes in North American every 24 hours.

Some regions are more lightning prone than others. Florida for one gets a more than than the average share.

You would be glad that there was an insurance product that you could buy to protect yourself from this "rare" occurrence.

Peace of mind that you won't be out a lot of money for replacement appliances and electronics is worth it to some, usually folks who have been through the rigamarole before.

But not all surge protectors offer the insurance feature. These are usually cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2013

1) A surge protector with a clamping voltage of 400 volts or 330 volts will give you the best protection.

2)Second, consider the response time (also called the clamping response time)Most surge protectors have a response time of a few nanoseconds (billionths of a second). That's pretty fast. But if you want better protection, go with a surge protector that has a response time of a few picoseconds (trillionths of a second).

3)Energy absorption and dissipation rating of the surge protector. This is the amount of energy, measured in joules. Look for a protector with a minimum rating of 300 to 400 joules. A rating of 600 joules or higher will give you better protection.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!