Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should you tip at restaurants with tip jars?

If so, how much and when should you tip: before or after the meal? It seems awkward to walk all the way back up to the cash register just to tip after the meal. I feel you should tip right after you order and get your change. But what if you get horrible service? You can't reach back in the tip jar and take back your tip at that point. Or can you?

Fast replies appreciated since I'm currently at a restaurant and don't know what to do! Help!

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013

No one cares

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Just the Tip

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

Do whatever you feel like doing OP. Simple

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

I tip when I am presented a check.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

I don't give 'em a tip .. I do better .. I SHOW 'em a tip … the TIP O' MY TALLYWACKER!

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

[quote] Fast replies appreciated since I'm currently at a restaurant and don't know what to do! Help!

This is hardly Sophie's Choice. Either tip or don't tip

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

[quote]No one cares

I'm sure the waiters, waitresses and busboys care.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

It's clear R1 was refering to the posters here R7. We were asked the question. It's up to the poster if he/she wants to tip.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

I rarely tip just because someone has a jar with the word "TIPS" on it. Especially if I'm standing at a cash register giving my order to somebody, which I'm then expected to carry to my table.

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

No, you are encouraging rampant capitalism if you do.

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

The tip jars are ridiculous. If you have to ask for a tip, you never deserved one in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

What about "fast casual" places where you pay at the counter and there is a line under the total for "tip". These places usually also have the tip jar. Should you add a dollar or two to the total or ignore it?

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

I always tip my waiter. If it's a restaurant/deli where the customer picks up the food and the tip jar is at the register, if I'm a regular, I'll occasionally throw in some change or a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

R5 is posting from the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

Well, I put a dollar in the tip jar when I get a shake at Baskin Robbins.

When I've had a few and I'm grabbing eggs and hashbrowns at Waffle house at 4 am with a group, I tip the waitress well but put nothing in the "tip the chef jar" that sits at the register.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

I put the tip o' my tallywacker in the tip jar and waggle it around while grinning suggestively at the cashier.

I am a valued patron for sure.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

I don't understand tip jars at places with counter service, when it's ONLY counter service. There's a nice local coffee shop where they will bring my drink or sandwich out to my table, and provide generally great, personal service. I will put tips in their jar. There is another coffee place nearby where they make the coffee behind the counter, and they will put your coffee at the end of the counter and announce what the "order up" is (Tall Latte). They don't provide any service besides making the beverage. I consider it the same as people at fast food places. They don't have tip jars.

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

I only tip when blowjobs are included.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

The chef is paid at least minimum wage. The waiter is paid $2.25/hour because he gets tips.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

Do people who work in establishments that have a tip jar actually expect a tip? I frequently go to this restaurant where you order at the counter and pick up your order at the counter. The food server rarely ever leaves the counter to serve food or drinks, so why the tip jar? Who gets the tips anyway?

by Anonymousreply 2102/19/2013

Because the owner probably declared his job as 'tipped' and pays him 2.35 an hour.

by Anonymousreply 2202/19/2013

Yes, I work in a Starbucks and we are vastly underpaid.

Of course I could simply get another job somewhere else for more money, but I want to work at Starbucks and feel it is YOUR duty as a consumer to provide me with a lifestyle, in which I want to live.

Love

by Anonymousreply 2302/19/2013

I stopped at the Ollie's take out place on Broadway and 90th St. in Manhattan (not a restaurant, no waiters, a few tables -- you can pick up your meal at the counter and eat it at one of their few tables or the street-side window.)

They have a jar by the cash register. Somewhat more expensive than the cheap Chinese takeout /delivery places on Amsterdam Ave.

I didn't give them a tip when I got my change -- and my bag didn't have any napkins, condiments or plastic flatware. Last time I use them.

by Anonymousreply 2402/19/2013

Maybe you shoulda tipped, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.