Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A question to Americans about 'Anyhoo' & 'Yadda, Yadda'

Two expressions that I, an Englishman, who lived in America, have wondered about.

I think I've read that people on DL think 'Anyhoo' is dreadful and should not be used under any circumstances. Am I right? What sort of people use it? What's so wrong with it? I rather like it. Does it originate from anywhere?

Also...'yadda, yadda'...do you know ANYTHING about yadda, yadda? Anything at all? What does it mean exactly? Do you ever say it yourself?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013

"Anyhoo" sounds like something a 1950s housewife would say, I don't know where it originated but it's outdated and people would consider it strange if you used it in 2013, it's in the same family as "that's swell" and "aw shucks!"

"Yadda yadda yadda" is something you interject into a story to skip over the boring part and get to the point, made famous by the television comedy Seinfeld. Very few people actually use this, but if you did, most would get the reference.

"I was walking down the street and saw these shoes in the window of a shop and yadda yadda yadda I ended up paying $500 for them"

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

I'm not sure from where "yadda, yadda, yadda" originally derived, but a lot of people I know (including me) started using it because of a popular "Seinfeld" episode.

Meanwhile, "anyhoo" is a way of expressing boredom with a topic and it's typically only used by idiots. I don't think it's been used much since the 90's truth be told.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

Yadda yadda was popularized by Seinfeld in the 90s.

It means "and on and on."

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

OP, Anyhooo...

Yadda, yadda, yadda

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

My Canadian boss is the only person I know who uses "anywho."

It's not anyhoo, but anywho. Any + who.

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

[quote]It's not anyhoo, but anywho. Any + who.

Got it.

Thanks for the responses.

I used to hear 'yadda yadda' a lot in the '80s, before Seinfeld...so it must have originated somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

Yadda yadda was said but not as often after Seinfeld. It basically means to prattle on - but changed to mean "more stuff happened unimportant" before you tell someone the actual point or punchline.

I use anywho as a replacement for anyways. I don't use it that often because it does make you look very provincial - I only use it for comic effect, though it's not really that funny.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

I hear femme guys say "Anywho" with a particular emphasis on the "who" part (Any-whooooo).

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

To put it in British terms, just substitute "I am a wanker" in place of "anywho."

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

Anyhoo is a variation for anyhow or anyway. ie, "anyhoo, they eventually found it."

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

Before Seinfeld, I had only heard "yadda, yadda, yadda" said by the person who was bored by the other person droning on, and would rudely interrupt by saying that and making the gesture with his hand meaning flapping the gums. I think the Seinfeld episode changed the meaning.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Musical ALLEGRO, written in the 1940's, has a song called "Yatata, Yatata, Yatata" depicting the the boring converstion at a cocktail party.

In the 1950's, there was "Yackety Yack (Don't Talk Back"

I think "Yadda, yadda, yadda" is simply a variation on the same theme.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

I can not take any person seriously who would utter the non-word anywho

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

'Anyhoo' sounds so hokey. I rank it right up there with "What can I do ya for?", the jokey, hokey, quasi-retarded variant of "What can I do for you?"

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

R14, "What can I do you for?" is a slightly risque turn of phrase that suggests prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

OP, "anywho" is a jokey corruption of "anyhow," and is intended to both cover and comment on that awkward silence that comes up in conversation, as when someone has gone on too long about something trivial and there is nothing else to say about it. Some ignorant people may use it without taking all that into account, but otherwise it is avoided because it is both a made-up word and trite.

"Yadda yadda" has a murky derivation, but some trace it to the British "yatter-yatter" and others to the American "yackety-yack." It means "idle chatter," of course, and is the same as "blah blah blah." The Seinfeld episode actually adapted the meaning, using it as a substitute for what the female character considered pointless details (which actually was crucial details); it was spoken prospectively - "I won't bore you," rather than retrospectively - "I bored you."

Lenny Bruce used it, and it's oddly Yiddish feeling helped give it some bite, at least until Seinfeld made its use seem like a cultural reference. Now it is used in the sense of the TV show, more than its original meaning, with a tired, slightly hipsterish taint.

Okee-dokee?

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2013

Yadaa yadaa yadaa Hebrew I know, I know, I know

by Anonymousreply 1802/19/2013

I've never heard either of these two things said by anyone in real life.

by Anonymousreply 1902/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.