Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Downton' creator: I had to kill him off

"Because how believable would it be that Matthew never wanted to see the baby, never wanted to see his wife? And was never seen again at the estate that he was the heir to? So we didn’t have any option, really."

by Anonymousreply 10802/19/2013

Matthew could have had an affair and decided to leave with the possibility of returning now and then. He didn't have to die!

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Well, I know they had to kill him, but I wonder why he wanted to leave so badly they couldn't have reached an accommodation to do things in a more gradual way? Hell, Matthew could have bought out Doneagle from Shrimpie.

I read somewhere that Dan Stevens's working on producing a movie, but it seems like it's at least a year or two down the road. I read he's one of the judges for the Man Booker Literary Awards. Very prestigeous.

I've read he does a column for the Telegraph and graduated from Cambridge. But it all sounds to me as if he wanted more money, and they couldn't do it, so he was written out.

Because it would seem he could've done a few cameos, and scaled back his appearances, and let other characters feature more prominently while still retaining his place.

So I think he made demands they couldn't fulfill, Julian Fellowes lacked imagination and probably didn't much care for Stevens personally, and all this crap about "I'm just spread so thin and horribly busy" is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

does Dan really think his career is going to up from Downton Abbey? The actress who played Lady Sybil I can understand - beautiful young starlet getting lots of attention from Hollywood- but him?

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

I think he was killed too soon. Lady Sybil was featured, but not one of the principal characters, and now it sems MAtthew will be remembered as not principal to the story either. I think he should have tried to stay longer. He was dumb to leave. This makes it look like his character wasn't that important to the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

I suppose Dan Stevens will get work in movies even in supporting roles and maybe earn more than he received on Downton Abbey. But he's not going to become Hugh Jackman or even Hugh Grant. Why didn't he keep his options open and come back to DA now and then?

David Caruso left a hit television show years ago in the hope of bigger movie roles. That didn't work out for quite a long time when Caruso finally returned to another television show.

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

I believe him to be be ill advised.

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

It's pretty optimistic if Dan Stevens to think he can do better than Downton.

He's not star material.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

Has Dan Stevens said he left Downton in hopes of becoming a bigger star? My impression is that he didn't want to spend more than three years playing the same role, which is understandable. Matthew was not the most scintillating character I've ever seen and I'm sure he wasn't that interesting to play.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

Possible new hearthrob spoiler...

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

Maybe he's hoping to get more roles like his supporting one in Vamps, the recent Alicia Silverstone vehicle (ha!).

I didn't even think the Lady Sybil actress (Jessica Findlay) had much star potential either but I think she booked the female lead in Akiva Goldsman's new film starring Russel Crowe and Will Smith. She also tested for the female lead in Captain America 2. So, within months of leaving DA it seems she's already carving out a career as the new Kate Beckinsale or something (maybe Dan will be the new Scott Speedman?).

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

Again, for those who can't see anything except through the American prism of 'stardom', an acting career in the UK is more about working.

Maggie Smith could perhaps be a star but what she really is is a working actress. She could probably walk unnoticed down any street in the U.S. but who would dispute she's a success?

Hugh Bonneville, Lord Grantham, is now famous in America but his working credits over there are as long as your arm. He's a successful working actor.

The guy's young, he's got name recognition in the UK, he wants to try something else. They shuttle regularly between theatre, movies, TV and even radio there. It's just how they do it.

Sometimes a career isn't about being the star, sometimes it's just about the work.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

What did he do before that?

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

Horseshit. They could have ended the episode and season with Mary holding the baby and Matthew driving to her with a smile on his face and faded to light.

The next season could have started three months later with Mary at the window and a fast blur of the truck appearing, the car careening, the car on its top, and an arm extending from the wreckage. And then a cooing from a cradle nearby could have caught her attention, and she could have smiled a small smile and gone to the baby.

So easy to cover the death, without presenting a corpse as a climax for the British Christmas viewers.

Fellowes is an insufferable asshole who, without close editing, has the plot sense of an elephant.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

Dan Stevens:

2009 The Turn of the Screw (TV movie) Dr. Fisher

2009 Hilde David Cameron

2008 Masterpiece Theatre (TV series) Edward Ferrars – Sense and Sensibility (2008) … Edward Ferrars

2008 Sense & Sensibility (TV mini-series) Edward Ferrars – Episode #1.3 (2008) … Edward Ferrars – Episode #1.2 (2008) … Edward Ferrars – Episode #1.1 (2008) … Edward Ferrars

2007 Maxwell (TV movie) Basil Brookes

2007 Agatha Christie Marple: Nemesis (TV movie) Michael Faber

2006 Dracula (TV movie) Lord Arthur Holmwood

2006 The Line of Beauty (TV mini-series) Nick Guest – The End of the Street (2006) … Nick Guest – To Whom Do You Beautifully Belong (2006) … Nick Guest – The Love Chord (2006) … Nick Guest

2004 Frankenstein (TV mini-series) Henry

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

Hugh Bonneville:

Burke and Hare Lord Harrington

2010 The Silence (TV series) Chris – Episode #1.4 (2010) … Chris – Episode #1.3 (2010) … Chris – Episode #1.2 (2010) … Chris – Episode #1.1 (2010) … Chris

2010 Agatha Christie's Poirot (TV series) Edward Masterman – Murder on the Orient Express (2010) … Edward Masterman

2010 Third Star Beachcomber

2010 Shanghai Ben Sanger

2010 Legally Mad (TV movie) Gordon Hamm

2010 Ben Hur (TV mini-series) Pilate / Pontius Pilate – Episode #1.2 (2010) … Pontius Pilate – Episode #1.1 (2010) … Pilate

2010 Marple: The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (TV movie) Inspector Hewitt

2010 Critical Eye Brian

2009 Knife Edge Charles Pollock

2009 From Time to Time Captain Oldknow

2009 Glorious 39 Gilbert

2009 Hunter (TV mini-series) DSI Iain Barclay – Episode #1.2 (2009) … DSI Iain Barclay – Episode #1.1 (2009) … DSI Iain Barclay

2008 French Film Jed

2008 One of Those Days (short) Mr. Burrell

2008 Lost in Austen (TV mini-series) Mr. Bennet – Episode #1.4 (2008) … Mr. Bennet – Episode #1.3 (2008) … Mr. Bennet – Episode #1.2 (2008) … Mr. Bennet – Episode #1.1 (2008) … Mr. Bennet

2008 Bonekickers (TV series) Gregory Parton – Follow the Gleam (2008) … Gregory Parton – The Lines of War (2008) … Gregory Parton – The Cradle of Civilisation (2008) … Gregory Parton – The Eternal Fire (2008) … Gregory Parton – Warriors (2008) … Gregory Parton See all 6 episodes »

2008 Filth: The Mary Whitehouse Story (TV movie) Sir Hugh Carleton Greene

2007-2008 Freezing (TV series) Matt – Episode #1.3 (2008) … Matt – Episode #1.2 (2008) … Matt – Episode #1.1 (2007) … Matt

2008 Miss Austen Regrets (TV movie) Rev. Brook Bridges

2007 The Replacements (TV series) – London Calling (2007) (voice)

2007 Hola to the World (short) Painter

2007 Five Days (TV series) DSI Iain Barclay – Day Seventy Nine (2007) … DSI Iain Barclay – Day Twenty Eight (2007) … DSI Iain Barclay – Day Three (2007) … DSI Iain Barclay – Day One (2007) … DSI Iain Barclay

2007 The Diary of a Nobody (TV movie) Pooter

2007 The Vicar of Dibley (TV series) Jeremy Ogilvy – The Vicar in White (2007) … Jeremy Ogilvy

2006 Tsunami: The Aftermath (TV movie) Tony Whittaker

2006 Scenes of a Sexual Nature Gerry

2006 Courting Alex (TV series) Julian / Charles Carter – A Moving Story (2006) … Julian – Alex Looks Out for Steven (2006) … Julian – You Compete Me (2006) … Julian – The Perfect Couple (2006) … Julian – Big Client (2006) … Julian See all 10 episodes »

2006 Beau Brummell: This Charming Man (TV movie) Prince Regent

2006 Four Last Songs Sebastian Burrows

2005 Underclassman Headmaster Felix Powers

2005 The Robinsons (TV series) George Robinson – Episode #1.6 (2005) … George Robinson – Episode #1.5 (2005) … George Robinson – Episode #1.4 (2005) … George Robinson – Episode #1.3 (2005) … George Robinson – Episode #1.2 (2005) … George Robinson See all 6 episodes »

2005 Piccadilly Jim Lord Wisbeach

2005 Asylum Max Raphael

2005 Man to Man Fraser McBride

2005 The Rotters' Club (TV series) Voice of Adult Ben

2005 The Commander: Blackdog (TV movie) James Lampton (uncredited)

2005 The Commander: Virus (TV movie) James Lampton (uncredited)

2004 Stage Beauty Samuel Pepys

2004 Wren: The Man Who Built Britain (TV documentary) Wren

2003 Hans Christian Andersen: My Life as a Fairy Tale (TV movie) Publisher

2003 Hear the Silence (TV movie) Dr. Andrew Wakefield

2003 Love Again (TV movie) Philip Larkin

2003 Conspiracy of Silence Fr. Jack Dowling

2003 Thursday the 12th (TV movie) Brin Hopper

2003 The Commander (TV movie) James Lampton

2002 Daniel Deronda (TV mini-series) Henleigh Grandcourt / Mr. Grandcourt – Episode #1.3 (2002) … Henleigh Grandcourt – Episode #1.2 (2002) … Henleigh Grandcourt – Episode #1.1 (2002) … Henleigh Grandcourt – Episode #1.4 … Mr. Grandcourt

2002 Doctor Zhivago (TV movie) Andrey Zhivago

2002 Tipping the Velvet (TV mini-series) Ralph Banner – Episode #1.3 (2002) … Ralph Banner

2002 Midsomer Murders (TV series) Hugh Barton –

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

Agree it was a pretty nasty Christmas cracker.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

[quote]So easy to cover the death, without presenting a corpse as a climax for the British Christmas viewers.

My theory is that Julian Fellowes was pissed that Dan Stevens was leaving the show and had grown to dislike him personally, so showing the bloody car crash and Matthew's corpse was a big "Fuck You, Dan Stevens!" moment.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

[quote] Well, I know they had to kill him, but I wonder why he wanted to leave so badly they couldn't have reached an accommodation to do things in a more gradual way?

The actor who played Matthew decided the ensemble show's success was entirely all because of him. He decided he is going to "break America" and become a big Hollywood movie star

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

"Sometimes a career isn't about being the star, sometimes it's just about the work."

Yes, R11, but to leave a TV show so critically acclaimed and so wildly popular as DOWNTON ABBEY after a relatively short period of time (for TV) seems ill-advised no matter how you look at it. How often does a show like this come along for an actor?

By the way, I saw Dan Stevens on Broadway in THE HEIRESS before I had seen even a moment of DOWNTON ABBEY, and I could not understand what all the fuss was about. Nice face, but almost no sex appeal on stage, and he looked overweight to me. When I later saw him in DOWNTON ABBEY, I could hardly believe it was the same actor: charm and sex appeal for days, and he looked a thousand times better even though I'm guessing he was probably only about 15 pounds thinner.

Impossible to tell the future, of course, but I suspect he will look back on his decision to leave DOWNTON as a very stupid move.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

God, I hate it when people cut and past imdb entries.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

R19, other people might not think the way you do, willing to stay a project that bores them and playing a character they hate for the sake of job security.

Nobody ever dreamed Downton Abbey would be so successful or go on this long, so Dan Stevens' intention was not to sign onto a long-term project. He probably has a number of other things he wants to do now.

One of the things I enjoy about English actors is that they might play the lead in one show and a minor character in the next.

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

I wish him well. I would liked for the "Downton Abbey" script to have Matthew disappear. One major character's death earlier in the season was enough.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

[quote] The guy's young, he's got name recognition in the UK, he wants to try something else. They shuttle regularly between theatre, movies, TV and even radio there. It's just how they do it.

A lot of them can't hack working a regular job for very long. When British actors get acting jobs in America they are all always shocked at how many hours they have to work

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

Watched him in that Hollinghurst 3-parter he did back in '06 where he utters the immortal line (to his boyfriend): "Since I spent most of last night with my tongue stuck up your ass..." LOL

But agree, leaving Downton is a decision he may come to regret.

by Anonymousreply 2402/19/2013

They should have done a Becky from Roseanne thing....as an only occasional viewer I often used to get Mrs. Hughs and Penelope Wilton mixed up....as well as the all the houseboys.

Just recast the prick.

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013

The plot to start the season with Matthew being such a crybabytittysucker over using Penelope's old man's money to save Downton was pretty shitty.

I honestly can't blame him for wanting to get away.

by Anonymousreply 2602/19/2013

Or since this is just a fancied up soap opera, they could have had him survive a car crash but mangled his face so that whoever they recast him with, the different look (and preferably fewer chins) could be explained by the accident.

by Anonymousreply 2702/19/2013

His hair always distracted me....hi-lights, low-lights WTF was it?

by Anonymousreply 2802/19/2013

r13 grow up. It's TV. Ruin Christmas? If you're not weeping over the baby Jesus, it's another day on the calendar.

The word was out. He wasn't coming back. By the time Series 4 premiered, we would have known the storyline.

His agents and ego are to blame. He says he was too busy for all the projects he wanted to do but claims he hasn't done enough big film. He's not going to get a big film role.

And all the interviews talk about how quiet and sentimental he gets about Downton. He knows he fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 2902/19/2013

r27 - Or they could have just recast him without a goofy plot contrivance and viewers would have forgotten all about Bland Stevens soon enough.

r21 - It's only 12 episodes per season. He had plenty of time to pursue other acting jobs. Who knows why he really left, but I don't know why it was such a big deal that JF snuffed the character.

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013

Dan could come back. He could pull a Bobby Ewing from 'Dallas' and imagine the entire previous season was just a dream.

by Anonymousreply 3102/19/2013

Will I still be so damn chipper after he dies?

by Anonymousreply 3202/19/2013

He could always return to play his evil twin brother that Mrs. Crawley never knew existed... in that way that they can explain stuff like that in soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 3302/19/2013

Only in the U.S. do people care about this shit. You all have too much of a sense of ownership over actors. You make them lead fantasy lives to please you and your over-interest, you won't accept that they are just people different from the characters they play and you're outraged and hurt when they leave a gig. He fulfilled his contract, if not he'd still be on the show. He's moving on to other things. He said he didn't like the long episodic nature of series television (where apparently you can lose the ability to walk one week and two weeks later the script says you miraculously rise and sing, in the process becoming at least a national laughing stock). He was probably quite annoyed with the ludicrous nature of the scripts.

Dan Stevens is not a great actor but he is a literate sort (he's already completed his year on the Booker judging panel, btw). And he's not that young. Find it hard to believe anyone would think he had sex appeal for days.

Jessica Findlay Brown was already a rising star before she joined Downton, based on a small British indie she did with Felicity Jones. I'm not surprised to hear she's moved on to Hollywood features. She has far more range and ability than the role of Lady Sybil ever afforded her.

by Anonymousreply 3402/19/2013

Unfortunately, Matthew is gone due to a dumb move on Dan Stevens' part. He had plenty of time to pursue other jobs throughout the year. He may work, but he's not going to become a movie star if that's his intent.

by Anonymousreply 3502/19/2013

Actors leave shows all the time. For some it's a smart decision, for others it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 3602/19/2013

Jessica Findlay Brown will be the next Julia Ormond/Gemma Arterton/Sally Hawkins/insert dark haired actress with publicist's name here

Was Kate Winslet the last British actress to become a star?

by Anonymousreply 3702/19/2013

[quote]Again, for those who can't see anything except through the American prism of 'stardom', an acting career in the UK is more about working.

Except he's moved to the US to pursue exactly that. He has about as much charisma as Cary Elwes, except Cary wasn't burdened with a weak chin and turkey neck.

by Anonymousreply 3802/19/2013

are his papers in order?

by Anonymousreply 3902/19/2013

[quote]Dan Stevens is not a great actor but he is a literate sort (he's already completed his year on the Booker judging panel, btw). And he's not that young.

He is 30 (and has 2 young children).

by Anonymousreply 4002/19/2013

He's not the only hot blonde Brit in LA looking for work desperately.

Bradley James (King Arthur/Merlin)

Lawrence Fox (Lewis detective show)comes from a long line of famous UK actors & married to Billy Piper

And now Matthew. Frankly I am a huge fan of all of them and wish they'd form a production company, continue to speak in Brit not American English and get distribution deals for great work.

Please guys? If anyone here has connections these 3 need to be working now.

Bradley James has not worked since Merlin ended, and he was the HOT one & the only interesting guy on the series, plus I think his acting was amazing.

I love all 3 of these guys. I want to see them all working now. ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 4102/19/2013

remember when the guy from Horatio Hornblower was the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 4202/19/2013

There's a reason why the show's creator is so very keen to reveal all about Dan Stephens departure. Fans now hate Dan Stevens, because it was his choice to leave and declare that Dan will have not much of a career after Downton Abbey. Imagine if it were revealed that he was fired, who would feel the fans' wrath then? Clearly someone's trying to avoid any potential backlash against him and his show in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 4302/19/2013

Rumor is that Tom Ellis (from Miranda) will replace Dan Stevens as love interest.

Even though I'm a dyke I find Tom Ellis mighty fine.

by Anonymousreply 4402/19/2013

For crying out loud, all you ninnies pissing and moaning about it. Stevens wanted to leave when his option was up. He's already filming a movie with Benedict Cumberbatch and Laura Linney about Julian Assange. Fellowes is right, there was no way to get rid of him without killing him off. WHY he didn't want to come back and do his death the following season as Fellowes wanted - well, that seems a bit petty, but it's his life. Maybe the schedule conflicted with his movie gig.

And if Tom Ellis IS the replacement, everyone will be swooning by mid-season of #4, and all will be right with the world.

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

Isn't Miranda super successful, too? Could Ellis do both?

If Ellis does indeed replace Dan Stephens it will be another fuck you by DA's creator.

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2013

DA is a sinking ship. I could barely watch Season 3. I laughed at the sequence leading up to last scene when they showed Matthew grinning in the car as he sped to his death. It was so obvious what was just around the bend. And that is true of every plot point in the show. So very, very lame.

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

[quote]He's already filming a movie with Benedict Cumberbatch and Laura Linney about Julian Assange.

You mean TV's Laura Linney

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2013

Why couldn't they shoot his death scenes and anything else they needed from him, now, and open Season 4 with it in a few months. I just hated they clumsy way it was handled.

Over all, I' not impressed with Fellowes' writing for season 3. One & two were much better. Oh, well. Game of Thrones starts in March.

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

R47, It was definitely true of that scene but not sure about others.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

I have no idea why Stevens wanted to leave the show. He may not care about the things others would care about in his position. So this speculation is of silly.

That isn't the point.

The points are 1) his being killed in a car accident coming home from seeing his wife and newborn in hospital was canned and trite, and

2) as the creator explained, what the fuck else could they have done given that he wanted to leave?

next.

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

Such an overrated show. Just because it looks good and features various prestige actors, people think it's the masterpiece to end all masterpieces. It's style over substance, yet again. If you want to see British drama done right check out the 70s serials "Upstairs, Downstairs" and "Poldark".

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2013

Canned and trite, and very abrupt. As if they decided to do it last minute and slapped it together. Matthew's execution was poorly executed. It wasn't handled smoothly but the director or by the writer.

There was, I believe, only one other scene of him with his car, a few episodes ago. The car's importance to him, and his driving wasn't highlighted.

Not saying they needed prolonged discussions or admonitions, but simply to see him with the damned car, for us to become accustomed to it.

U din't recall them referring to it, much less seeing it. If we could've at least seen a few more references besides her "scratch" comment, or even Matthew mentioning that he drove here or there. But he may as well have fallen on a rake. This was stupid and amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2013

Dan Stevens will be the lead in CSI:Bournemouth This Fall on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 5402/19/2013

R50, True of every plot line. Lady Sybil had to give Cora her last instructions before going to sleep. Cora says it can wait till morning. Sybil says "No, I have to tell you now." (because she was going to die in the next scene).

And also the cook's flirtation at the fair. So tiresome. Plot by numbers.

by Anonymousreply 5502/19/2013

Not "every", maybe more this season.

by Anonymousreply 5602/19/2013

It's a soap opera with nicer costumes. As such the writing varies from OK to ridiculous, often in the same hour. The story is subservient to the actors and their schedules and their contracts. Think of it as All My Downton Children, One Downton to Live, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5702/19/2013

It's entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 5802/19/2013

FUCK YOU, OP! Not everyone had the chance to see Sunday's episode. Now it's ruined for me. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!!!

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2013

All My Children or One Life to Live in their heydey were better written than Downton which has god knows how much of a budget and publicity machine. But does Downton have an Erica Kane? A Natalie Dillon? A Tina Lord or a Palmer Cortlandt? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2013

I think R19 has great points and I agree on the weight and the lack of sex appeal. I think they should have just scaled his characters' appearances back instead of writing him out.

by Anonymousreply 6102/19/2013

He didn't want to do scaled back appearances R61. Dan Stevens wanted to be done with the show, period. Their hands were tied.

by Anonymousreply 6202/19/2013

Mr. Stevens will be the next Hugh Grant, minus the early success.

by Anonymousreply 6302/19/2013

I understand Stevens was criticizing the series, Fellowes direction and the scripts, generally being a annoying pain in the ass. Maggie Smith can get away with being a bitch, but Stevens can't. He was not one of Fellowes stable of actors and inner circle he always uses. I am sure he could read the writing on the wall that Fellowes was writing him out and decided to leave to save face.

by Anonymousreply 6402/19/2013

If Mr. Pamuk can get his own series on CBS, I don't see why Dan Stevens can't do well in the US.

by Anonymousreply 6502/19/2013

[quote]people think it's the masterpiece to end all masterpieces

I've never met a fan who didn't admit (and even relish the fact) that it's nothing but a fun, indulgent soap opera. The only people calling it a masterpiece is PBS.

by Anonymousreply 6602/19/2013

I think Matthew is very replaceable. The show needs some new life anyway and Mary could be challenged and exciting instead of droll.I'm looking forward too it.

by Anonymousreply 6702/19/2013

[quote]FUCK YOU, OP! Not everyone had the chance to see Sunday's episode. Now it's ruined for me. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!!!

Oh boo hoo hoo. Everyone was talking about it all over the media yesterday in the US, and it's been all over in the media in the UK since Christmas when it first aired.

Once it airs on TV and it's big news, it's fair game to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 6802/19/2013

"She (Maggie Smith) could probably walk unnoticed down any street in the U.S. but who would dispute she's a success?"

Professor McGonnagal not be noticed? Hogwash!

by Anonymousreply 6902/19/2013

[quote]I laughed at the sequence leading up to last scene when they showed Matthew grinning in the car as he sped to his death. It was so obvious what was just around the bend.

I have to agree. I like the show (although season 2 was a poorly written mess), but that was so hamfisted, they may as well had a grand piano fall on his head while he whistled a happy tune.

by Anonymousreply 7002/19/2013

R60, it's got Dame Maggie Smith who is a tad more butch than Palmer Cortlandt.

by Anonymousreply 7102/19/2013

Yes r71, but Maggie's not in her PRIME, no pun intended Miss Brodie.

Downton simply cannot match the glory days of this:

by Anonymousreply 7202/19/2013

[quote]If Mr. Pamuk can get his own series on CBS, I don't see why Dan Stevens can't do well in the US.

Theo James is a smokin' hot piece of ass though, r65, and he's got some charisma.

Stevens was kind of a pretty man years ago when he was trim, but he is hardly a stunner now and is lacking some characteristics that would make him a star.

He certainly can remain a working actor though, but I can't see anything in his future bigger than the lead in a beloved television series like he has walked away from.

by Anonymousreply 7302/19/2013

I wish there was a video mash up out there called "Poor Mr Pamuk" by Elizabeth McGovern

by Anonymousreply 7402/19/2013

Poor old Robin Ellis did a few things after Poldark and then vanished off the face of the screen. He'd been such a heartthrob to middle aged women everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 7502/19/2013

[quote]I understand Stevens was criticizing the series, Fellowes direction and the scripts, generally being a annoying pain in the ass.

Really? And how is it that you "understand" this? There are all sorts of people making up all sorts of shit on this thread, just because they were shocked by the resolution of Stevens' storyline (although anyone with half a brain would know that he was going to die since Stevens' was leaving).

by Anonymousreply 7602/19/2013

Get a load of r76's little hissy fit.

by Anonymousreply 7702/19/2013

m

by Anonymousreply 7802/19/2013

It reminded me of when Sister George's character gets killed off from her soap.

by Anonymousreply 7902/19/2013

(Whispered voiceover): The role of Matthew Crawley is now being played by Mark Consuelos.

by Anonymousreply 8002/19/2013

Stevens is doing an sequel to Pride and Prejudice playing D'Arcy -- ill advised, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 8102/19/2013

r75, it was very sad when Angharad Rees who played Demelza on "Poldark" died last year. She had the charm of Elizabeth Taylor and the pluck of Jean Harlow - Angharad was a truly British original. Here's a lovely tribute to her:

by Anonymousreply 8202/19/2013

Funnily enough, Julian Fellowes was a good friend to Angharad Rees and gave the memorial speech at her funeral. So this takes us back on topic!

by Anonymousreply 8302/19/2013

I can't think of a single person who left a hit television show at it's peak that went on to a bigger career.

He's young AND he's pretty, but he'll regret this.

by Anonymousreply 8402/19/2013

You sound like the dastardly villain in some melodrama, r84.

"He'll regret this!" cackle cackle cackle.

Who cares? He knows what he's doing. He's got more than a year's worth of work lined up already, including three films and a new series.

And it's England - TV series tend not to go nearly as long over there as they do here. Expect more attrition for season five (if there is one), and it will probably be the final one.

by Anonymousreply 8502/19/2013

I don't understand why he will regret leaving DA. I understand why viewers of DA might not want to see him leave, but Stevens won't look back.

by Anonymousreply 8602/19/2013

In three years he'll be on Coronation Street

by Anonymousreply 8702/19/2013

[quote]I can't think of a single person who left a hit television show at it's peak that went on to a bigger career.

George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 8802/19/2013

Goldie Hawn

by Anonymousreply 8902/19/2013

We like to rag on David Caruso, but who else came out of NYPD Blue that you've heard of lately? Jimmy Smits is about it.

by Anonymousreply 9002/19/2013

[quote] can't think of a single person who left a hit television show at it's peak that went on to a bigger career.

John Travolta

by Anonymousreply 9102/19/2013

Many actors on Melrose Place had more charisma than most of the so called movie stars of that period. Marcia Cross and Laura Leighton especially - if you study their performances, their physicality, their visual vivacity on that show in the 90s, you will look at them and say "Jesus, THAT is a MOVIE STAR." They made Melrose the phenomenon of the 90s because the serial format allowed them to amp up the emotional involvement - do you understand? To that extent, you must understand that Hollywood is no longer about showcasing personalities. It only makes action films. That's why the only material for actors who want to act opposite other actors as opposed to blue screens is TELEVISION. What the hell can Dan go onto besides another promising role on a television drama? There is nothing waiting for him in Hollywood because there IS NOTHING in Hollywood. PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 9202/19/2013

he's not even that pretty. He has nice eyes that's pretty much it. He's also incredibly bland and forgettable.

But the Matthew role was really boring. Where exactly do you go with that role? Not very challenging as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 9302/19/2013

[quote]- if you study their performances, their physicality, their visual vivacity on that show in the 90s, you will look at them and say "Jesus, THAT is a MOVIE STAR,"

Yes, which is why they were such successful movie stars. Oh, wait . . .

by Anonymousreply 9402/19/2013

[quote] can't think of a single person who left a hit television show at it's peak that went on to a bigger career.

Ron Howard

by Anonymousreply 9502/19/2013

r94 - you little fool. Read it back. God, I would slap you awake if I could.

by Anonymousreply 9602/19/2013

Leonardo DiCaprio went on to big things after playing Mason Capwell for about five seconds.

by Anonymousreply 9702/19/2013

The original impetus of the show was the tension between classes. The aristocracy (the earl and his family), the middle class (Matthew and his mother) and the servant class (Branson and company).

They've taken all the tension away. Matthew melded into the aristocratic family. The earl modernized. Sybil died and Branson became estate manager. Now Matthew is dead and he left an heir. Problems solved.

Now what? More boring Bates-falsely-accused type stories? A never-ending battle of Evil Ladies Maid vs Evil Footman-cum-Under butler? How many tricks will those ponies come up with?

And Violet isn't that funny any more. She used to be funny when she was a diva, but now she is even defending the ditsy Rose -- she of the married men and Negro club preferences -- to Rose's exasperated mother.

These silly stories are so patly tied up and resolved with everything turning out well. There's no drama. Are we to tune in every week so we can see what kind of fool Mr Mosley makes of hImself in this episode? Not a lot to look forward to. Even Matthew's death has worked out ok since he left an heir, a fortune to Downton and the ability to introduce new love interests.

by Anonymousreply 9802/19/2013

R98, it's obvious the very unappealing Rose is going to be a major part of DA going on. I may take a pass on this mess.

by Anonymousreply 9902/19/2013

R96 I get it. Truly, I do. You are overly impressed with hammy performances on cheesy TV dramas.

Noted.

by Anonymousreply 10002/19/2013

It would be great if it turned out Rose was schizophrenic or bipolar and ended up in a sanitarium. Lots of shrieking, hair-tearing, speeding off in the family car with Branson in pursuit (having only heroic intentions on his part, of course), inappropriate nudity at parties and christenings. I'd love to see that.

But wasn't Rose more of a lower class name?

by Anonymousreply 10102/19/2013

How about getting Stephanie Beacham on Downton as Sable's mother? They may as well connect the series to Dynasty canon.

by Anonymousreply 10202/19/2013

George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 10402/19/2013

I think Dan Stevens was probably even more aware than we are of the corner Julian had written them into. There really wasn't a lot for Matthew Crawley to do.There was certainly no real storyline they could attach to.

With Barrow you have the Jimmy drama and the scheming O'Brien. With Branson, you have him getting sexy and finding love again, but you also have The Troubles, which will bite him in the ass once in a while when Dublin life pops up from time to time.

You have Edith and her pedestrian dramas, you have Isabel geting into trouble with the changing times, you have Mary auditioning suitors. It's pretty boring.

So boring I forgot the Bates couple. I need my insulin to even watch them. I can't stand Rose. She isn't worth an entire story line. She's a silly tangent.

by Anonymousreply 10502/19/2013

[quote]Poor old Robin Ellis did a few things after Poldark and then vanished off the face of the screen. He'd been such a heartthrob to middle aged women everywhere.

But it wasn't Robin Ellis's choice to leave Poldark. The series only lasted for two seasons, and the second season only happened because the first one was so popular in England. He loved doing the show (even wrote a book about it), and he and Angharad Rees were both ready and eager to return for a sequel but nothing ever came of it.

Robin now lives in southern France and is a cookbook author and cooking teacher - he does voiceover work now but still loves to talk about Poldark. He seems much too self-effacing to consider himself a heartthrob.

by Anonymousreply 10602/19/2013

I do hope dear little Rose gets her hair bobbed in 1923.

by Anonymousreply 10702/19/2013

R98, I've got a really good idea for you. STOP WATCHING. Then you won't be so annoyed that there are so many people who love what you loathe.

by Anonymousreply 10802/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.