Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The curious disappearance of Edward Norton

Once an A-list star, he now does a supporting role about once a year.

I heard he came from money. Is he a trust fund brat?

by Anonymousreply 9007/28/2014

I always heard he was very smart but extremely difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

I think that "Hulk" movie damaged his career. He was a massive pain in the ass drama queen on the set, and it didn't do well. I think that film damaged his career, he got all kinds of bad press at the time.

He's working, but nobody seems to be offering him high-profile projects, he was even replaced as the Hulk in the "Avengers" movie. I wonder how much he cares, he does have "fuck you money" from his family.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

I heard he drowned in the sewer.

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

He's the grandson of developer James Rouse who had an important role in enclosed shopping malls, strip malls, large-scale planned developments like Columbia MD (where Norton was raised) and, most famously, the "festival market place" brand of urban redevelopment mall, e.g.: Faneuil Hall in Boston, Baltimore Harborplace, South Street Seaport in NYC, etc.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

He should have won the Oscar for Primal Fear

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

I'm sure his association with Courtney Love didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

I think he's one of the best actors of his generation. And he doesn't go around calling attention to -and making an ass- of himself. Even if he didn't come from money, he'd be rich enough for 10 people if he never worked another day in his life. Hulk damaged his career? How many million did he walk away with ? Money, good looks and brains. I'll take it

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

[quote]And he doesn't go around calling attention to -and making an ass- of himself.

Except when he's working, which is why he isn't working so much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

[quote]And he doesn't go around calling attention to -and making an ass- of himself.

Oh please. He's known for being a huge pain in the ass. He doesn't work much because he's burned too many bridges.

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

paramount sued him over pulling out of a movie (how many big studios sue actors to such a degree)... he pissed off so many people, they went forward with the lawsuit happily

he is probably one of the most difficult people to work with, which is why you don't see him in major pictures

yes- he has a lot of family money, so he is just fine- but his ego is not and he would still love to be a star

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

r7 = Ed's publicist

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

Didn't he do brief full frontal in American History X?

I think you can see his penis from a side view in a shower scene?

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

yes, he's being raped but his body is hot in that film.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

He always seemed to prefer small films. I am sure he will continue doing non-studio films.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

An excellent actor and a very smart guy. But he's "difficult" and that doesn't help anybody's career. He's probably so well off than he never needs to work again if he doesn't want to.

I went to see "Moonrise Kingdom" because he looked so hilarious in a scout uniform. He was totally wasted in that movie (ALL the actors were wasted in that movie), which turned out to be a piece of shit.

His relationship with the very uneducated, very crazy Courtney Love was a mystery. Her mother said in her memoir that he "made a project out of her" and I guess that pretty well sums up that strange pairing. But you can't polish a turd, as the saying goes. I remember the New Yorker doing a very unflattering piece on Love and he responded with a very shrill letter lambasting all those who would speak ill of her. I don't think they have much to do with each other anymore, although Love still tries to make it seem like they still have a close attachment. She claimed that he is the love of her life, NOT Kurt Cobain. Last thing I remember her saying publicly about him was that he was engaged (his publicist denied it) and that she wondered "what kind of a ring he got her...he gave ME a ruby!" I'll bet he rues the day he got involved with the psycho hose-beast Courtney Love.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

I've met quite a few celebrities through my work as a photographer (not a paparazzo -- special event photographer), and Norton was one of a tiny group of people who were outright rude to me when I asked to take their pix.

Mind you, I asked before I shot -- or, rather, before I didn't shoot, because he said no. And this was at a party for a theater company, not a situation where he was exiting a club drunk off his ass or anything like that.

Made me sad, because I think he's a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

Well, if he's as big of an asshole as he's rumored to be, it's no wonder his career went down the drain. Being a jerk isn't a good way to keep a career going.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

He's an okay actor, but I never bought him as an A-List movie star, or romantic lead. He looks like he should be doing your taxes at H&R Block. He would get suddenly buff for a movie and then turn into a 98 lb weakling 2 days later. And he always did have that weak face, especially his chin.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

Overrated, not sexy and comes across as smug

by Anonymousreply 2202/19/2013

He's lipless and a juicehead. He doesn't seem very intelligent either.

by Anonymousreply 2302/19/2013

I think he would have made a better Lincoln than Daniel Day Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013

Absolute, unbelievable pain in the ass who feels he's a director, producer and writer on every movie he does.

Because of that, he pissed off way more above the line people than he would have if he was just an egotistical asshole actor.

by Anonymousreply 2602/19/2013

Back when Norton was working more and doing interviews, he came across as a smug ass who was very pleased with himself.

by Anonymousreply 2702/19/2013

The title of the thread would make a good movie. If only they could get someone to play the titular character who isn't a massive fuck head.

by Anonymousreply 2802/19/2013

He's too smart for Hollywood (or at least he thinks he is) which prefers its employees to be more obedient and do what they are told without thinking or arguing too much.

by Anonymousreply 2902/19/2013

Please what is hose-beast r17

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013

He's too much of a diva and since he doesn't bring in the $, he's not worth working with.

by Anonymousreply 3102/19/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3302/19/2013

Here's an old thread about him. R1's post is pretty amusing in a bad way.

by Anonymousreply 3502/19/2013

rumoured womanbeater

by Anonymousreply 3602/19/2013

What did Selma H. see in him? She certainly traded up snagging that billionaire???

by Anonymousreply 3802/19/2013

Married now apparently. And I was holding out that he was gay. Oh well.

I know he isn't liked here except for his acting and most find him a fug, but I loved Ed back in his brief late 90s heyday. Up till Down in the Valley in fact.

He is one of the quickest and worst cases of ageing I can think of. So you say he has no looks to lose, but it's sad someone with so much promise disappeared.

He is too cunty and supercilious no doubt. So many reports and I've even seen it on video, him being foul to the paps, you can just tell he is an unpleasant person to be around. Too late for a Sean Penn-style renaissance for him I guess.

by Anonymousreply 3905/06/2013

He's from Columbia, MD, which is about 20 minutes from where I live. His grandfather developed it, so yeah, he's from money.

by Anonymousreply 4005/06/2013

I get him mixed up with Edward Burns.

by Anonymousreply 4105/06/2013

He was sort of preppy cute when he was young.

He looks like a KMart cashier now.

I heard of at least one shitty story involving Norton on American History X.

by Anonymousreply 4205/06/2013

He did beautiful supple ass work in American History X.

by Anonymousreply 4305/06/2013

I saw him coming out of his trailer in NYC on the set of something called Birdman. He looked kinda hot. He was in flip flops and I'd lick them feets.

by Anonymousreply 4405/06/2013

He's a woman beater? please tell me he beat Courtney Love. He's still hot though. Please tell me he cheats on his wife.

by Anonymousreply 4508/30/2013

He didn't have the kind of face that aged well--he has a weak chin, and now all he can do are character parts. The fact that he fucked up the Hulk (which was seen as a very possibly lucrative franchise that had stepped wrong at first because Ang Lee wanted to make a more poetic film than people wanted) was held against him--that was his last chance to be a big leading man, and he was seen as personally responsible for screwing up the franchise even further for Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 4608/30/2013

He is the grandson of James Rouse, a very wealthy developer who started Columbia, MD, and did over Norfolk.

by Anonymousreply 4708/30/2013

He should have won the Oscar for Primal Fear over Cuba Gooding Jr.

by Anonymousreply 4808/30/2013

Amazing that he's a blue blood Yale grad that married a high school drop out. Maybe he likes feeling smug and superior to her. I wonder what he's like being married to. But of course, she gets that nice cock of his....

by Anonymousreply 4908/30/2013

Also, his grandfather's cousin was married to Audrey Meadows. But not for long.

by Anonymousreply 5008/30/2013

He pissed off the wrong people. Career. Over.

by Anonymousreply 5108/30/2013

By any chance, is he related to the man who developed Columbia, Md.?

by Anonymousreply 5208/30/2013

Ed Norton was the best neighbor Ralph Kramden could ever hope to have/

by Anonymousreply 5308/30/2013

I saw him host a Bill/Chelsea Clinton appearance in Brooklyn earlier this year. He was disappointingly long-winded and, not surprisingly, full of himself and his fundraising website. But I have to say he was amazing in Burn This off-Broadway in the early 00's and I loved him in 25th Hour.

by Anonymousreply 5408/30/2013

[quote]Back when Norton was working more and doing interviews, he came across as a smug ass who was very pleased with himself.

That's because HE IS a smug ass who is very pleased with himself.

by Anonymousreply 5508/30/2013

what does he look like in person? hot or not? I read that his wife is short with no tits, a big ass, and won't let him out of her sight. You better hang on to him girl or someone might steal his ass!

by Anonymousreply 5608/30/2013

He shows up at the Preakness every year.

by Anonymousreply 5708/30/2013

does he look good?

by Anonymousreply 5808/30/2013

His wife is a very unprepossessing blonde who produced some schlock comedies.

He was previously involved with Courtney Love, which was pretty insane. What the fuck was he thinking, that he could "save" her, or something? Anyway, Courtney name drops him to this very day; she said in the liner notes of one of her albums that HE was the great love of her life, not Kurt Cobain.

His other major relationship was with Selma Hayek, which is kind of strange, too. She was beautiful at least. He seems to go for unattractive women with little education. Maybe it does make him feel superior. Maybe he likes that.

He gave some really good performances, but doesn't act much anymore. It may be that he's been labeled "difficult" and doesn't get offered many roles or maybe he just wants to concentrate on other things. He's rich as hell; he probably doesn't have to work at all anymore unless he wants to.

by Anonymousreply 5908/30/2013

I loved him in The Illusionist which is a wonderful film with a fantastic score by Philip Glass. After that I saw a movie he directed with Naomi Watts, set in China pre-WWII, forget the name. He was good in that as well.

by Anonymousreply 6008/30/2013

He just has had very good plastic surgery. He's now Cher

by Anonymousreply 6108/30/2013

His grandfather who malled America with shite looking malls, yuck. BLOOD MONEY imho. That crap is fugly as sin.

by Anonymousreply 6208/31/2013

His Hulk movie was, in my opinion, EXCELLENT. It was, believe it or not, more serious and interesting than the tinny, camp Avengers.

by Anonymousreply 6308/31/2013

R63, I also enjoyed his Hulk. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen the extended version which apparently contains more of Bruce, not more Hulk.

by Anonymousreply 6408/31/2013

I'm surprised he hasn't bought his spouse big boobs like he did for Salma Hayek.

by Anonymousreply 6508/31/2013

He's going to be in another Wes Anderson movie and another film by that famous Mexican guy...

Ed is 42 and Ryan Gosaling is getting all the good roles...

by Anonymousreply 6608/31/2013

The movie he did with Naomi Watts was The Painted Veil, which was really good. I thought he was good in The Hulk. Anyone out there know what really happened on set? He bought boobs for Salma???!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6708/31/2013

She had her 15 minutes. Next!

by Anonymousreply 6808/31/2013

He can't get hard. Blue blood inbreeding.

by Anonymousreply 6908/31/2013

[quote]I'm surprised he hasn't bought his spouse big boobs like he did for Salma Hayek.

I thought Salma's were all her own. His wife is quite the opposite.

[quote]Amazing that he's a blue blood Yale grad that married a high school drop out. Maybe he likes feeling smug and superior to her. I wonder what he's like being married to.

She may be a high school dropout but she's a highly successful producer in a man's world. Literally. She produced the Apatow movies. She may not have a formal education, but she's probably very smart and capable. I suspect she manages him quite well. I was looking through pictures of them on Google and they look like a real couple.

by Anonymousreply 7008/31/2013

Edward Norton IS the CHINLESS WONDER!

by Anonymousreply 7108/31/2013

Him and his wife look like brother and sister. Definite in-breeding. Saw her on you tube. Her voice is high and whiny, like the Chipettes. He acts too smug and superior to let some woman handle him.

by Anonymousreply 7208/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 7308/31/2013

She dropped out of high school at 16 to move to California cuz she knew someone who worked on the movie Indian Summer. She probably blew everyone in Hollywood to get that 2nd rate Apatow job. Also changed her last name from Weinberg to Robertson. Maybe it was too jewishy for Norton.

by Anonymousreply 7408/31/2013

"He's going to be in another Wes Anderson movie and another film by that famous Mexican guy..."

Another Wes Anderson movie? Wes Anderson movies SUCK. I saw one, Moonrise Kingdom, and I would never, ever want to see another. If I had known anything about Wes Anderson movies I never would have gone to see that one. It's seldom that I truly hate a film but I absolutely loathed Moonrise Kingdom. It literally made me ill. After leaving the theater I had a splitting headache and a queasy stomach. It really was THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 7508/31/2013

He was a cute boy in Primal Fear but now he looks petulant and bad humored. Not a good look with his weak chin.

by Anonymousreply 7609/01/2013

R75, I agree I hate Anderson films but the critics love whatever shit he throws on the screen...

Hollywood presently It girl Emma Stone is also in the movie...

by Anonymousreply 7709/01/2013

ICAM r75 and r77, count me in as another Wes Anderson hater. He is the absolute worst. Moonrise Kingdom was abominable but Norton's ass still looks good in those scout master shorts.

r61 I would hope he had a blepharoplasty. His eyes started looking saggy early on and aged him VERY quickly. He is boyish in the face but those eyes made him look like hell. That is the one must have surgery cause when your eyes look saggy that's when you start to look old as fuck.

lol r73, I never really notice chins unless they're deeply recessed. Most people aren't lucky enough to have a chiselled lantern jawline. As long as the rest of the face is cute...

by Anonymousreply 7809/01/2013

He has a nice, blueblood anus

by Anonymousreply 7909/01/2013

He might be a blue blood, in-bred, shrilly drama queen but I would still tap it

by Anonymousreply 8009/01/2013

...that bad, huh? I always got an impression he was just desperate to be liked. Sugary, clingy, needy and moody, a slut for positive attention, maybe a little bit of braggart to mask massive insecurity...but, well intentioned. He doesn't seem to go out of his way to be a prick, unlike some--it's just that people come away thinking he's a smug bastard. The poor man may just not come across.

With that kind of personality, acting is a poor choice. The fact that others applaud his performances shows he has incredible empathy, and is obviously a nuanced man who listens and observes well. This gives him a mysterious quality and makes him seem personable and 'nice'.

It does not follow that these characteristics make a man wise, sharp, professional, charismatic or interesting to listen to himself. It's surprising that many assume every touted 'star' is the complete package.

Edward, like 98% of actors, is not the elusive Everything. I don't believe he thinks so, either, even if he once did. I always figured him for sweet, quiet and sarcastic, with a bit of a sulky temper. He can be forgiven for that.

by Anonymousreply 8107/28/2014

He's an asshole and he is unattractive. He has some talent, but not enough to warrant overlooking his behaviour and appearance.

by Anonymousreply 8207/28/2014

I find him unpleasant to look at. Especially that ill-tempered selfish looking mouth. I avoid films with him in them because I don't want to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 8307/28/2014

U have to admit he was robbed of the Oscar for Primal Fear

He lost to Cuba Gooding

by Anonymousreply 8407/28/2014

R83 yes. He's one of those actors who is unwatchable. I'm surprised he still has even a B list career. Much more interesting actors out there.

by Anonymousreply 8507/28/2014

I've never really wanted to see him in anything. His Hulk movie looked just as awful as the Ang Lee Hulk movie, which wasn't very interesting. I don't think on any level the Hulk idea has all that much that's very interesting to say at this point.

Making movies is a long, slow, collaborative, and often tedious process, spread out over months. If one is a rude jerk, it becomes intolerable to one and all to have such a person involved. That is why we are hearing less and less from Edward Norton.

by Anonymousreply 8607/28/2014

Thank you for your kind words of caring and concern

by Anonymousreply 8707/28/2014

He's 45. He ain't gonna happen. Some supporting character roles maybe, but his days as a leading man are definitely OVAH. But he's going to have to rein in his arrogant, poor little rich kid routine to get work.

by Anonymousreply 8807/28/2014

[quote] Amazing that he's a blue blood Yale grad that married a high school drop out.

My husband's sister is married to a Yalie and dated another one very seriously for a while. She's a high school dropout with a GED. She has always had men all her life (married multiple times) because she likes very kinky and rough sex. Most women don't.

I always figured that's how she hooked well-edumacated men with money.

by Anonymousreply 8907/28/2014

I've met him a couple of times. He was quiet but held up his end of the conversations. He can talk about things other than movies and seemed like an intelligent, decent guy.

Sorry about that, let me tell you about Deb Messing...

by Anonymousreply 9007/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!