Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Reader's Digest files for bankruptcy

Everyone's favorite magazine to poop to is in trouble.

Wonder it the inane content, its increasingly right wing content, or the fact that it's no longer interesting?

RIP Breeder's Digest.....

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

This is too bad. A huge bulk of the funding used to run the Met comes from stock holdings in RD.

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Increasingly right wing content? No, they have been owned by the left for years, and they WERE right wing for years. A left wing company/family bought them and sales plummeted.

Their audience were Fox News people, not judging but the turn to the left when that's your audience is not exactly a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

Say it isn't so!

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

Their readership is dying. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

Reader's Digest still publishes?

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

"Everyone's favorite magazine to poop to is in trouble"

Great line.

If Americans upped the fiber, will readership increase?

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

Reader's Digest is a longtime bathroom staple of Red States.

Liberals were NEVER going to buy it no matter what the content was.

The same exact thing (in reverse) would happen if someone tried to turn the New Yorker into a conservative rag.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

Readers are dying, r4.

Just look at the newspaper business.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

Really? Did they file their briefs yet?

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

It was rarely what it claimed to be, a digest of good articles from various sources.

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

All my favorite mags are dropping one by one: Premiere; Newsweek; Out; Playgirl; Movieline...

I simply will not read magazines online; I always feel like I'm being timed.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

r9 LOL

End thread now.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

Funny I just subscribed! I started getting free copies in the mail and enjoyed them. It was nice to have a pocket size magazine to take with me to the diner or for coffee. And to poop too. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the little stories!

When the offered me the chance to subscribe for a ow cost, I did.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

R13 = 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

Nope mid 30s. I just enjoy looking at something other than my phone all the time. I still read the Village Voice too!

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

Yeah, it was always the perfect bathroom mag. I always read it at my aunt's house in the bathroom, because she had a subscription.

Very sad to hear about this.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

The 'rents would hide the racy issues containing the 'I am Joe's Balls' and 'I am Joe's Anus' first person medical articles. I miss Joe.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

But is "Grit" still published?

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

Laughter, they claimed, was the best medicine. That approach to science just doesn't work any more.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

How will I be able to poop without it?

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

Where will I go for my material now?

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

r18, my Granny used to get Grit in the mail. The postmark was Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

The magazine was founded in 1922 in the MacDougal Street apartment of DeWitt Wallace and his wife, Lila Bell Wallace. Judging from where they lived doesn't sound like they were Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

The audience for RD has been dead for years. It took this long for their subscriptions to run out.

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2013

Reader's Digest used to publish "Condensed Books." My grandmother read "A Stone For Danny Fisher." Liked it so much she bought the original version for the church library. Her pastor refused the book. It was filled with filthy, dirty words deleted from the condensed version my grandma thought was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

In 1922, the republicans weren't the republican'ts that they are today.

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

It was fun in the late 60s through the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013

My grandma used to get it in large print :( I would read it after her. It really has no purpose in the internet age, though, when everything is already condensed.

by Anonymousreply 2802/18/2013

"Top Ten Things You Should Know About Reader's Digest"

I will miss those articles.

by Anonymousreply 2902/18/2013

I Am Joe's Spleen!

by Anonymousreply 3002/18/2013

[quote]This is too bad. A huge bulk of the funding used to run the Met comes from stock holdings in RD.

Not since the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 3102/18/2013

[quote]"Everyone's favorite magazine to poop to is in trouble" Great line. If Americans upped the fiber, will readership increase?

No. More fiber means shorter times on the can. More starchy foods and red meat are in order to up readership.

by Anonymousreply 3202/18/2013

Well that is life in these United States for you.

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

Horrid. Right-wing. Religious.

(At least in the 70s and 80s when I visited my Aunt Mary.)

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

The Wallaces were always right wing, huge supporters of Nixon, for instance. They ran some MaCarthy type articles in the 50's. I think what happened is that what was fairly mainstream in the '50s and early '60s tended to be more conservative because most of America was fairly conservative socially, if not politically. By the late '60s and '70's more liberal readers drifted away or still got it mainly out of habit. By the 80's, even young conservatives went to more hip general sources, leaving RD's readership to those of older generations who have been dying off ever since. Also, it was really on a high school level, so as more an more people got college educations in the '60s and on, they tended to want more complex stories, except to poop, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

The original Huffington Post.

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

Reall? When I was a kid in Connecticut, a lady in our town won the Readers Digest Sweepstakes thing. I think she won a million, which was a huge amount in the mid 70s. I recall she died about a year later.

So no more Sweepstakes from the Digest?

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

I remember a country boy in my junior year of college shaking the RD at me one time in our dorm and stating, "This is one TERRIFIC book!"

First of all, he was serious. Second, he thought RD was a BOOK. Third, he was a hillbilly from Appalachia with a beard who looked just like those old B&W photos of Civil War soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 3802/18/2013

I Am Joe's Chewed-on Foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 3902/18/2013

They were one of the first to start selling subscriber information.

One subscription to the monthly and your family would be inundated with sample copies of Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Popular Mechanics, and Time/Life. Later, Lillian Vernon and Haband would start their assault.

In fact, this was the company that worked with all those CDs of the month clubs - the ones that charged $135 to go away.

by Anonymousreply 4002/18/2013

R40 "this was the company that worked with all those CDs of the month clubs - the ones that charged $135 to go away"

What CD clubs "charged $135 to go away"? I've never heard of such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 4102/18/2013

LOL, when I was a kid I used to get all those cheap albums and never pay!

by Anonymousreply 4202/18/2013

I would be a sucker who get guilted into paying the $135...

by Anonymousreply 4302/18/2013

NPR says their average reader is 50.

by Anonymousreply 4402/19/2013

I read RD when I was a young kid. People are too politically these days and everything is pegged as rightwing or leftwing. As a young reader, none of it mattered. Some of the contents were informative and others were just funny. I haven't read it in decades.

Sorry to see RD go but it is the sign of the time and printed magazine is a losing bet. Did they make an attempt to go digital?

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

I'll admit that I used to think it was a rightwing old-fashioned publication, but I was looking at an issue from a few months ago and was surprised to find three gay-friendly or gay themed articles, including Nate Berkus' article about the death of his partner.

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2013

"All in a Day's Work"!

[quote]I work for a medium-sized Midwestern insurance company, and most of my fellow employees are women. The office potluck has become a frequent tradition among my officemates...

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

I remember, as a kid, reading the "can this marriage be saved" column. I knew in my heart that the men were often times gay, and this was before I even knew what gay was. I knew a failed heterosexual marriage was in my future if I went that route.

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2013

There's no more "Humor in Uniform."

And "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" is from LADIES HOME JOURNAL, which is still publishing.

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

Well, OP, That's Outrageous!

They filed for bankruptcy? Talk about drama in real life.

I guess it didn't pay to enrich their word power after all.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

A good magazine for waiting in a doctor's office.

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!