Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do anyone here remember this murder case from the 1990s?

I only ever saw half an Oprah show about this murder case, but it stayed with me and I was wondering if anyone here remembers it.

It involved a middle class married couple. He was a lawyer, I think and she had helped him through law school.

He left her for a younger woman when he was in his forties.

The first wife became unhinged about the whole thing and would call the house and shriek about him to the children and threaten his life.

When he remarried he wore a bullet proof vest to his wedding.

Eventually she broke into the house and murdered him and his new wife, in their bed.

Oprah did a link up and interviewed her in prison.

(I may have some of the details wrong, but does this ring a bell? The whole thing must have been very high profile in the USA at the time).

by Anonymousreply 7802/19/2013

Betty Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Uh, no OP ....none of us has ever heard of Betty Broderick

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

He died because he lacked finesse. He got off on flaunting the new wife.

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

yes, OP, DL has had a number of threads about this case

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

Actually R3, they both seemed to get off on semi harrassing the first wife. Bashing her with legal filings, mailing her literature on fat farms, plastic surgery, etc. Definitely a lesson learned there in when to back off. Betty certainly brought her share of crazy to the table, but they didn't help matters at all.

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

They were awfully mean to her. That new wife sounded like a bitch but in the movie it seemed like they were trying to whitewash her and make her seem a lot more angelic than she was.

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

Also OP ....they were NOT middle class. A big point of contention in the divorce was that Betty had helped support her husband early in his career. He actually was a lawyer with a medical background too and he was very well off by the time he dumped her. And was far from willing to share with her.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

[quote]but in the movie it seemed like they were trying to whitewash her

They made a movie?

Thanks for the reply, R1.

The snarky messages were uncalled for... I lived in England at that time.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

They deserved to die.

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

Books about the Betty Broderick case ....

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

OP, I'm assuming you're too young to remember the Betty Broderick case, but it was a HUGE story at the time. It was covered extensively by the national news media and everybody was talking about it, and everybody had strong opinions about Betty and what she had done. It caused a lot of heated debates about a whole host of issues.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

I seemed to remember a thread, or was it threads where some DLer pretended he was BB

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

Betty Broderick is probably the only murderer I actually felt sympathy for.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

r13 Betty Broderick is a DL stock character, like Liza and Mrs. Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

If it had been released on the big screen Meredith Baxter Birney should have at least got an Oscar nomination for her role in The Betty Broderick Story.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

[quote] oh wait, this is DL - vacuous and self absorbed is the rule here so since it didn't directly effect you, nor involve a hot guy (although the husband was pretty cute) why on Earth would you have a reason to pay any attention?

You'd be doing yourself and everyone else a great favor if you stopped posting here.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

R15, is Amy Bishop now another one?

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

OP, I hope you're enjoying dog food with the CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

No suck luck, R19, you obviously got there first.

Wow! This topic is attracting some REAL DL low- lives.

It's FREAKY!

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

Dang. She really got fucked over in the settlement. Dan certainly had deep pockets and good lawyers to have gotten literally everything:

[quote] Judge William Howatt accepted all of Dan's proposed numbers and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epstein reimbursements (debts incurred during the marriage) and cash advances. In the end, Dan Broderick, was ordered to pay his wife of almost 20 years less than $30,000 in cash. In addition, Dan was re-awarded custody of the children.

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

I bought the double dvd with the sequel included. Meredith deserved the Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

Before I confuse anyone, Meredith was nominated but didn't win the Emmy, I was just saying she deserved to.

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

Who was Meredith up against that year in the Emmys? It was TV. Who could have possibly been better? Anyone remember?

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2013

I looked it up. She lost to Gena Rowlands in Face of a Stranger. Oh well. I guess if you gotta lose....

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

And LA Law was still on LOL.

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

She was my mother's heroine. I remember the case well and most of the msm at the time reported the story with sympathy for her.

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013

Yes r21, but that was after she'd been doing things like breaking into their house and doing vandalism, and the sort. If she'd simply accepted the marriage was over, she probably would've gotten a decent settlement. She did rightly resent that the new wife was going to be better off, after Betty had enabled Dan's success. But flipping out wasn't the way to handle it.

by Anonymousreply 2802/18/2013

Thank you, R28. Any other obvious conclusions you can help us reach?

by Anonymousreply 2902/18/2013

It didn't seem obvious to r21 that Betty wasn't merely a victim, but created her situation through her outrageous behavior, such as driving her SUV through Dan's front door.

by Anonymousreply 3002/18/2013

OP, I don't know if you have read anything about the case but the best book on it is "The Twelfth of Never" by Bella Stumbo. It's not too Betty sympathetic and just lays out the facts.

by Anonymousreply 3102/18/2013

Yes R17 well I guess posters like you really do set the bar rather high - in fact why don't we all just log off and let you respond to every post.

by Anonymousreply 3202/18/2013

She did flip out but Dan and his new bride certainly didn't "walk away from crazy." You ignore that shit and hope that they go fixate on someone else, you don't egg them on. And yes, she got screwed on alimony. She put him thro law school and worked for him free for years.

I remember on The Sopranos when Carmela was trying to divorce Tony and he'd "consulted" with all of the top divorce lawyers in the state if they'd gotten that idea from this case. It's what the husband did.

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

I'm not familiar with the case so I didn't know about the incidents R28 and R30 describe. Her Wiki page doesn't contain much information at all and without context, that looks like a highly unfavorable and unfair outcome for a divorce, especially if one spouse put the other through many years of professional school.

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

r21 r34 Yes, she got screwed because Dan was the president of the San Diego Bar and no local lawyer wanted to go against him in court. I think for awhile she had to have a lawyer from Palm Springs. She did act badly and she was a bitch but Dan really wielded his power over her.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

There's always been a big issue of women working to put their husbands through college, or an advanced degree, and then being dumped for trophy wives (or other men.) Wasn't there a conflict over the children caught in an emotional struggle between the warring parents?

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

[quote]She did act badly and she was a bitch

Oh, I wouldn't say that. She was a sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

r36 Yes, Betty was trying to fuck with Dan by using the children. She would do cock-blocky stuff like drop the kids at his house to ruin his weekend plans. One day she dropped the kids at his house and he decided to keep them. That really pushed her over the edge. Dan really was a dick, he basically tried to negate their whole relationship as if their whole time together was nothing. When he asked for a divorce she asked him how long he thought their marriage had been over and he said something like "Since April 1969" or whenever their wedding had been.

by Anonymousreply 3802/18/2013

I was a really young when the murders happened and as a teenager in the early 00s I stumbled onto the TV movies one day. I read more about the case online. I did come across another message board where the case was discussed and someone who had been a nanny for a classmate of Rhett Broderick posted there. She said that Dan wasn't well liked in some social circles.

I do have some sympathy for Betty because she supported Dan through medical and law schools. Dan and Linda were awful to her and did egg her on. But Betty in some ways ignored how her actions effected her kids. I recall one of her daughters became a drug addict after the murders and Rhett had problems with the uncle that he was sent to live with.

by Anonymousreply 3902/18/2013

I find Betty sympathetic, as Dan was a true sociopath. She let him scramble out of bed in his boxers, and see her face before she killed him - he had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 4002/18/2013

BANG BANG! Shot my lover in the head. BANG BANG

by Anonymousreply 4102/18/2013

Rhett is ugly-cute.

by Anonymousreply 4202/18/2013

And she let him see her kill his wife too r40. They had said to friends that this thing wasn't going to end until one of them died and they were right. Betty said that after she shot him he said, "Ok, you got me, I'm dead." OT, I don't know who it was and I never saw the Oprah but they reference in one of the books about Betty that she was on an Oprah episode about messy divorces and I guess one of the divorcees had split up with a gynecologist. I guess the guy somehow stitched her vagina shut..how crazy is that? How would someone even do that? How would you not notice right away? Weird shit surrounds Betty.

by Anonymousreply 4302/18/2013

r40 Before finally admitting his affair to Betty, Dan would often come home very late at night and go straight to bed without showering--that way, Betty could smell his mistress all over him. He'd also torment Betty by pretending to talk in his sleep, saying Linda's name over and over. If anyone deserved the slow, painful death he received, it was Dan Broderick.

Linda's family realized Dan's prickery towards his unstable wife led to her death; although both names are on the headstone where Dan is buried, Linda's family has her buried elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4402/18/2013

There was a Law & Order episode based on this case too. Unfortunately, MBB wasn't in that one.

[quote]But Betty in some ways ignored how her actions effected her kids

Affected. Effect is a noun.

by Anonymousreply 4502/18/2013

[quote]I remember on The Sopranos when Carmela was trying to divorce Tony and he'd "consulted" with all of the top divorce lawyers in the state if they'd gotten that idea from this case. It's what the husband did.

This is a very old trick. I remember being warned about it by a lawyer who'd started practicing before WWII. It was probably going on in Clarence Darrow's time, & even Blackstone's.

by Anonymousreply 4602/18/2013

r44 Yes, apparently he would finger Linda and then come home and put his arms around Betty or drape his hands near her so she could smell his twatty fingers. What a fucking dick. I know a lot of people in San Diego were wondering what took Betty so long to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

If Betty stayed with him so long, it means she enabled him. Perhaps she was the female version of Dan. Doctor's wives are some of the most entitled cunts.

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2013

I remember coming across a blog that discussed this case and several people who knew Betty, Dan, and Linda posted comments. People from the San Diego legal community posted about their dealings with Dan and Linda. Both were disliked quite a bit. A college classmate of Betty's posted a comment and said that Betty was known as "Crazy Liz" back then. She also said that Betty often talked about how she planned to marry a rich guy.

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

Seriously, OP?

Are you also trying to find out the details of a 1963 murder in Dallas of some big-shot in a car?

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

r49 I was in high school in SD when this all went down, I remember seeing her on the news all the time, like when she threw shit at the jailers while they were trying to get her out of her cell. I remember reading about the dealings with Linda and Dan too, and yeah, they were not well liked. I want to say that Linda had a nickname like Kuntkena or something? Bets may have had her strangeways but Dan was such a prick.

by Anonymousreply 5102/19/2013

R48, Generations of women were told to "stand by their man" no matter how physically or emotionally abusive they became, especially if there were kids involved. Even without religious influences, divorce was considered the worse sin.

by Anonymousreply 5202/19/2013

[R49] I also kind of remember something about Kuntkena nickname. Another well known nickname for Linda in some of the SD legal circles was Office Bimbo. Someone on the blog that I previously mentioned, said that it was common for many lawyers to sleep around with other lawyers or other employees in law firms. Most people didn't talk about their affairs, but Linda did all the time and Dan never stopped her from talking.

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2013

I meant [R51]

by Anonymousreply 5402/19/2013

r53 Thank you. I love this new thread. When it was started and I saw the "does anyone remember this murder case" I was so excited because I thought it might be an obscure one and I am a murder junkie so I thought I could solve it. I was cracking up when I saw it was DL fave Betty. There is always more to say though. I am the one who posted about the other divorce case where the ob/gyn sewed his wife's vagina shit. Does anyone know anything about that case?

by Anonymousreply 5502/19/2013

Lol, I meant shut, not shit.

by Anonymousreply 5602/19/2013

I wish Lifetime would make a sequel to the 90s tv movies about Betty. It could be about her life in prison. I recall reading in a few articles that she is well liked and has groupies.

by Anonymousreply 5702/19/2013

Danny needs to be the DL correspondent and could report from various cases. I would love to hear Danny's take on Jodi Arias and Guy Pistorius. Danny, are you there? Please answer us.

by Anonymousreply 5802/19/2013

Isn't Danny the son who opposed Betty being paroled?

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2013

I'm not going to go away Dan

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2013

r57 I remember reading that she loves prison. It is a nice regimented life and she is tutor for the girls there. It's too bad she had to find out she could be a mentor in this way.

by Anonymousreply 6102/19/2013

R49's blog has an ex-colleague saying that

by Anonymousreply 6202/19/2013

Dammit, posted too soon!

An ex-colleague says that Linda was known around the office as Linda Vagina. Mean but fitting.

by Anonymousreply 6302/19/2013

I'm [R49] thank you [R62] for posting that blog link. It is interesting to read those comments again.

by Anonymousreply 6402/19/2013

This poor dear was humiliated after court by being manhandled and it exposed her granny bloomers.

by Anonymousreply 6502/19/2013

Rhett has his father's old nose. She's in regular contact with two of her kids (Rhett and Lee) and has some limited contact with the other two (Danny and Kim). Rhett and Lee want her released from prison. Danny and Kim don't. Kim instigated some of the conflict between Dan and Betty.

Dan cut Lee out of his will shortly before his death after Lee decided she wanted to live with her mother. I don't think any of the kids have a relationship with Dan's side of the family and Rhett alluded to the fact that they treated him awfully after the case because he wanted to continue to have a relationship with Betty. Also I think Dan's brother looted some of the kids inheritance money.

by Anonymousreply 6602/19/2013

More about the settlement and child custody. The judge was firmly in Dan's pocket.

Judge Howatt valued Dapper Dan's law practice at the date of the separation and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epstein credits Dan and Dan alone accrued in his and Betty's joint estate. This was deducted from her settlement. Judge Howatt also accepted every single one of Dan's estimates and valuations of property (unheard of ...in a divorce).

Betty received half of the pension fund, which was roughly $240,000, which she could not touch until she was 65 years old.

Dan owed Betty $33,000 in cash, but Judge Howatt reduced that by another $5,000 because Betty owed, incredibly, for DAN's legal fees because Dan kept hauling Betty into court for using bad language. (Order to Show Cause...again, absolutely unheard of)

Dan received sole custody of the boys, although it is well documented in Stumbo's book that he really didn't want custody of them...it was a means of sticking it to Betty, who desperately wanted the boys back, and, it must be noted, the boys did NOT want to live with Dan and Linda. Denied their mother, they were basically being raised by housekeepers.

Dan was ordered to take out a $1 million life insurance policy, with the children, not Betty, as the beneficiary. This is the famous life insurance policy that Larry Broderick, um, helped himself to in the way of vacations and vehicles after Danny Boy was killed. The Kolkenas had to fight the Brodericks for any money at all after the murders.

Spousal support was ordered by Judge Howatt to be $16,000 per month, with the following proviso: "until further order of the Court." Again, this is virtually unheard of in divorce law. Betty knew by that time that "further order of the Court" meant "until Dan Broderick sleazed his way out of paying what he should."

Betty WAS NOT AWARDED HER HOUSE. That is a LIE. In fact, at the time of the murders, she was living in a rented condo in a downscale area of San Diego.

Betty wound up with a cash sum of $28,000. This for the woman who worked two, three, four jobs at a time while Danny Boy finished up med school and decided to go to law school. Betty bore him five children during this time, also. One of the children died shortly after birth. DAN BRODERICK WAS ON A SKIING VACATION WITH HIS BUDDIES AT THE TIME.

Dan Broderick was making roughly $1 million annually, and this was in 1988-era dollars, at the time of the divorce. Betty, the woman who helped him get there, received NOTHING for her contributions. Indeed, Linda Kolkena had stepped into her life and reaped the financial benefits...without ever working a day for it.

Roughly four months after rendering his financial judgments in Broderick versus Broderick, Judge Howatt enjoyed being a guest at Dan Broderick and Linda Kolkena's wedding.

One more thing about the Epstein Credits: the reason the number was so high is because Danny Boy was hiding assets in the form of "loans" to Larry Broderick for almost a year before walking out on Betty. This not only lessened how large their shared marital estate would look to a judge, but in effect screwed Betty out of large sums of money that she was entitled to as Dan's ex-wife in advance.

by Anonymousreply 6702/19/2013

How did "Rhett" get that handle? The others have such ordinary names.

by Anonymousreply 6802/19/2013

Thank you r67 Do you have the Stumbo book with you? I am trying to remember the line that basically sealed Dan's death certificate. I want to say that he said their marriage ended the day it began? At any rate he was a real fucking dick and didn't seem to know that you do not poke a stick at the mentally unbalanced. Also, I think he was making 2 million a year at the time he was ordered to pay Bets the 16 grand a month so it really wasn't eating into his lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 6902/19/2013

Oh, no. That's from the R62's link. It's one of the blogger's entries about a quarter of the way down the comments. I'm just learning about the case now. I was in grad school when this happened and only had a vague awareness of it since I didn't watch much TV.

by Anonymousreply 7002/19/2013

Oh r70 I am jealous of you, you get to read and learn all about it for the first time!

by Anonymousreply 7102/19/2013

Besides that blog, could you recommend another online source about the case? I'm going to check our local library for the Stumbo book. It seems like the kind of book that's kept around because it has a following and keeps getting checked out.

It's funny I've been coming to Datalounge for years and never connected the "Betty Broderick" character name with this case. How could I have?

by Anonymousreply 7202/19/2013

How did the kid die. You know I'm not the first to wonder.

by Anonymousreply 7302/19/2013

The two Lifetime movies were highly biased and inaccurate. They made Betty out to be The Bad One and Dan and Linda The Good Ones. It's entertaining to watch Meredith Baxter chew the scenery as Betty, but the tv movies were almost entirely bullshit. They didn't tell even half the story, and Dan and Linda were portrayed in the most flattering light possible.

Anyone wanting to know EVERYTHING thing about this case should read "Until the Twelth of Never" by Bella Stumbo. Not only will it tell you everything you need to know, it's one of the most engrossing, insightful true crime books I've ever read. Stumbo portrays Betty Broderick, Dan Broderick and Linda Kolkena that way they really were: three incredibly selfish, unscrupulous money worshippers who deserved what they got.

Dan Broderick Jr. and Kim Broderick (both appear to want their mother to die in prison) turned out to be a lot like their father.

Kim was manipulative and selfish (just like Dan); she'd go crying and whining about how badly Dan was treating her (he wouldn't pay her huge phone bill, gave her "only" $150 to buy a dress for her junior prom), which would enrage Betty. Betty would then pay her phone bill, buy her expensive clothes and shoes, and Kim would be satisfied. After contributing to her mother's mental instability by telling her tales that made her hate Dan even more, Kim testified for the prosecution in her mother's murder trial.

Dan Jr, is a real go-getter like his Dad; he was appointed president and chief executive officer of Cassidy Turley BRE Commercial where he will preside over the real estate company’s offices in Southern California. He married a Linda Kolkena type (tall skinny blonde) he's known for less than six months in a garish wedding.

Danny Jr. and Kim are not in favor of their mother getting out of prison. They're clones of Dan, and I don't think that's a good thing, considering what a creep their father was.

by Anonymousreply 7402/19/2013

"How did "Rhett" get that handle? The others have such ordinary names."

Dan had a thing about the move Gone With The Wind. He kind of fancied himself as a Rhett Butler type, hence poor Rhett being saddled with that name.

by Anonymousreply 7502/19/2013

In the TV movies, there is a scene towards the end of the first movie were Dan, Linda, and two friends talk about Gone With The Wind. Another interesting tidbit is that in the TV movies different names were used for the Broderick kids.

by Anonymousreply 7602/19/2013

I love Betty!

by Anonymousreply 7702/19/2013

Oh r68 are you serious? Bets was a fan of Gone with the Wind.

by Anonymousreply 7802/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.